July 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/02/09

We have information that might shed new light on perhaps the central unanswered question in Michael Jackson's death. Was the "King of Pop" using powerful, potentially deadly, surgical anesthetics to get to sleep? Don't miss our exclusive 360° investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon

If Ms. Rowe gets custody of the children the court can and should appoint someone other then her to oversee the childrens financial affairs. Just as it should for ever gets permanet custody.

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. ericacnn

@Minou – "Blanket's" real name is Prince Michael II, but the famly - and now pretty much everyone else - calls him Blanket b/c he is the baby MJ dangled over a Berlin balcony with a blanket over the child's head.

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

I'd like to extend my apologies to Jermaine and the Jackson family for my participation in this prying and speculation right here on the blog. I am deeply sorry. May God bless and keep you all!

– Jacqueline

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Isabel, Brazil

It seems to be missing something in the dance of Michael in this video.
    How can I explain? Seems to be missing 'Michael'.

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The best part of that dress rehearsal footage? Was at the end when MJ smiled. He seemed happy about the performance...

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Tammy, Houma, LA

So he isn't moving like he did as a kid. Neither did Elvis in his last concert. Most of us don't have the same energy and moves we did in our 20's and 30's. He still looked good to me.

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Karen (Lincoln NE)

I dunno. Other than waaaaaay too thin (I don't think he would have made all 50 shows, who could do that?) he looks great, especially for a rehearsal and marking. I'm not saying he looked 30 or even 40, but he looked good. He sounded great. Makes me sad.

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Vickie_AR

Amazing Video! 🙂

July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. daphne

Seems to me she sold her parental rights for 8.5 million dollars. What mother would do this? I don't care how much their father offered. When it comes to children, money is not everything. What about a mother love for her children? And to split the three children would be so very devastating. I think the children belong with their grandmother and family. Ms. Rowe could have visitation rights for holidays.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Kamara

It's about what is in the best interest of Michael's children. Debbie Rowe may be their biological mother, but they don't know her. They should go to Katherine Jackson just like the will states. How will the youngest child feel if the two older ones are taken away? All three children should go to Katherine. I see this as their best interest.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Krasi

Wow, that video is painful to watch! Will always regret I was never able to see him in concert!

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, that was Jackson!

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Michelle

That video is incredible.MJ looks like he is
    in great shape and ready for a tour.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Marie

What a terrible situation this has become. The children are not property. Think of how this will effect them pyschologically and emotionally if torn from one family to another.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Rhonda

Debbie Rowe is back in the spotlight because she only wants more money. Please let the kids stay together.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. duchess

Michael looked great. Now it's time for him to be laid to rest in a place that he loved, "Neverland". Stop talking tearing him down, just remember all the good he did for the kids and others.

July 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

I see MJ as a victim when it comes to his drug problem. He was surrounded by enablers! Somebody got him the meds that killed him. He was a victim more than a perpetrator. Therefore I don't mind the media attention on the drug problem...it affects so many Americans.

July 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Valeria Brazilian in NY

Michael's video is amazing, what an entertainer! He looked great.

July 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. billie jean

what you all shoud is let michel go because if there going to go by his will they should just go by that.

July 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Linda

Eventhough I would like to know why MJ passed on at such a young age, I agree with Rev Sharpton, we should celebrate his life. I feel bad that it has taken his death for people to really appreciate his talent, generosity and kindness. We can only hope that the Honorable Judge does what is in the best interest of all three children.

July 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Mary

I am a Michael Jackson fan and do not agree with the Reverend on only the negative being reported regarding his drug use. Wonderful things have been said about him. There was a death and the trurth should be told.

July 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  22. laura

your so right sharon H. i think thats all she be able to get ,and i bet theres a few more out there trying to get money out of this

July 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

We are only seeing a small portion of MJ in that dress rehearsal footage. I think he looked great! It was exciting to watch. It's sad that we won't be able to enjoy what an entertainer MJ truly was.

July 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Valeria Brazilian in NY

Hi everyone. It's been a sad week... Our world is a less interesting place without Michael... He's a truly genius. I don't think the media had any idea how big he really was... And how many he had affected.

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Ayana

Now about Debbie, she sold those kids, now she claiming she want them back. Does. She have a reciept? First of all. Cause if she wants the kids back, we need the money back. Who mother you know sell their kids.....that's call bad pareting, therefore this makes her un-fit to gain custody of the kids in my opinion.

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  26. rhonda

dr. ratner i hope is fully investigated by not only the police but DEA as well .... There is so much that doesn't make sense in this story. I hope you all get to the bottom of it.

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Valerie

Ms. Debbie Rowe, is probably upset because she is out of Michael Jackson"s will. Therefore she is after the children. Perhaps ,because the children will inherit some of the assest? Please ,let Michael Jackson's will prevail!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Maureen T, Canada

Great to see Andy on the roof of the CNN building! I appreciate AC360 keeping the Michael Jackson story alive! I realize there are others who don't want to hear anything else about MJ but thank you Andy and CNN!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Kim

It seems to me if Debbie Rowe had the childrens' best interest at heart and really wanted to be part of their lives, she would simply approach Katherine Jackson privately and arrange to spend family time with them AND the Jackson's periodically, and with increasing frequency over time. Those kids need each other and their FAMILY (those who have always been in their lives). Her approach seems like a $$$ grab yet again.

July 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Maya CA

Propofol???? Unbelivable I can't believe the good MD could not give a yea or ney.

July 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Jamie L.

The doctor who accompanied Michael on tour with the equipment (Ratner) seemed to be protecting himself from possible legal problems in that interview with Dr. Gupta. His evasive and seemingly "too emotional" responses were ones that also told a story.

July 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. tanyia from LA.

Just because Debbie Rowe carried those kids for nine months it does not make her a mother. A real mother would not have walked away from her kids.

July 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Wilda Spicer

I just like to say my sister pass away due to a car accedient my mother took her 3 children ages 14 down to 10 and she was at the age of 70 she will soon be 81 in sept of this year and she is still taking care of her great grands. I admire Katherine Jackson for wanting custody of her grand that the only thing she has left of son Micheal.

July 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. John Yetimoore, NY

Rev. Al Sharpton,
    Thank you !!!
    Thank you for telling the truth to the media.
    We don't want to listen to the negative, rating oriented reporting.
    Michael Jackson is a great man and will be remembered as such!

July 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Mattie

It's MONEY, MONEY, MONEY with Debbie Rowe. She does not appear to be a fit mother since she sold her children for millions of dollars. She is no better than slave holders who who sold their own flesh and blood for money! I hope the courts do not give her anything!

July 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Rowe is not up to this fight!

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. April Sublett

Why does Debbie Rowe want the kids now? I believe its all about the money. Can we not just honor his memory? He was a wonderful performer. His family and kids deserve our sympathy and support, and not all the speculation and scrutinization.

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Annette

Although Debbie and Michael were married, It looks to me as if Debbie accepted millions of $'s to do the job of a serrogate for Michael.

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Lynda

In regards to the best interest of the children, cultural issues surrounding the African American community support kinship care as evidenced by the community in which the children have been raised. All three siblings should have a vested interest in their future.

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. kadie fl

i think Debbie Rowe is out for the money and that’s the only reason why
    she wants the kids because where ever the kids go the money go.
    and the man is not even in the ground and the media is ripping me apart i know he had bad times but its like the media is forgetting the good ones

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. AP

Totally agree w/ Sharpton! The media is so negative! So "circus-driven." Let's focus on the positive – Michael's legacy, philanthropy, and great light he shined on the world for so long.

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Angie - Flint, MI

Al Sharpton is right. The media shoud NOT be focusing on all the bad publicity about Michael. They should be focusing on all the GOOD things that he did for many, many people in this world. It really saddens me to think that the media is BARELY talking about the good things he did. They should think less about their ratings and more about the loss of a GREAT MAN!

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Christina

Debbie Rowe still has parental rights for those two children, the CA Court of Appeals ruled that she never gave up her rights. So regardless of what we think, she does have a right to go for custody.

And she has twice filed for custody during the past few years when she was concerned for their safety.

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Jewel, Vancouver B.C.

Hello Anderson and staff,

What is the latest news with the North Korean ship?

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. starr formerly known as vincent

I am not a fan of Rev. Sharpton as a rule. However, he makes good points speaking about the media attention being so focused on drugs, etc.

MJ did cross many barriers and did lead A movement for Charity in Africa. He was all about Peace & Love, no matter how seedy his personal life may have appeared.

I am very happy that they have video of the rehersals and am hoping that maybe a DVD of mostthe concert is possible.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Carol

I feel so sad that Michael seemed so lonely & easy mark for evil people to take advantage of him.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. LorenaR

that was a great interview with al sharpton and jeffrey toobin, thank you, Anderson Cooper, toobin was clear, concise, reasonable and measured in what he said. sharpton i always thought was rather inflammatory, but tonight gave a calm logical explanation of looking at the entire life and legacy of michael jackson.- and of course he is right.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Cynthia, NC

Debbie Rowe's name may appear on the birth certificates of Prince Michael and Paris, but that doesn't necessarily make her a mother. The children don’t even know her and she hasn’t been a part of their lives.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. lily

Hi Anderson, I just saw your interview with Al Sharpton and I really wish you would have disagreed with him when he said only negatives are being reported on Michael Jackson. Especially when you yourself have been reporting on the positives.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Jules

I don't really understand why understanding what caused his death takes away from his legacy. If anything, it's a lesson for celebrities and "regular" folks alike!

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |