July 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/02/09

We have information that might shed new light on perhaps the central unanswered question in Michael Jackson's death. Was the "King of Pop" using powerful, potentially deadly, surgical anesthetics to get to sleep? Don't miss our exclusive 360° investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. simone

why should debbie rowe even think of geting custody? money , money, money. that is why they say "money is the root of all evil"

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Isabel, Brazil

It is difficult to think that children are in second place in the midst of so many speculations and they became 'money'.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Sandy

Is it possible that Dr. Murray gave Michael anesthesia to make him sleep. His lawyer did say that Michael wanted Dr. Murray to monitor his sleeping. Michael looked so good in his last rehearsal. Perhaps he was given too much anesthesia. I hope the authorities are thoroughly investigating Dr. Murray.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

I firmly believe Debbie Rowe will not get custody of the children. She may get some visitation rights if the children wish for that and unfortunately if she becomes too threatening she may get some money. She would certainly not be the only one trying to make a buck off this.

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Dodie ~ California

Michael looks weak in the video. He was out of breath, you can see him breathing hard while all the dancers were breathing normal.

But we all need to remember, he was 50 years old, not 20 or 30 or 40!

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Larry

At what age can the kids decide for themselves? Katherine Jackson is how old?

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  7. LECHANTE, New York City

Will the court ask the children who would they like to live with?

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Karen (Lincoln NE)

Oh my. I get sooooo tired of Al Sharton. Sooooo tired. (And I believe his MOTHER was at the trial everyday. AFAIK it was she who was steadfast.)

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. scott m.

Truly saddened & shocked by the loss of my childhood hero. His message of worldwide peace and love will always inspire. In my heart The King will always live on!

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Iris

If Debbie Rowe is awarded custody of her two kids, she should have to provide for them on her income. If Michael had to provide for them without any child support from her she should not be awarded any money from his estate. All the inheritence the children will receive should be off limits to her.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Grant Fleming

Tell Sharpton there has been lots of positives about Michael. How do we know all the top sales of songs are Jacksons. Go back to New York

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I would love to see the dress rehearsal footage in some type of DVD that can be purchased by MJ's fans with some of the proceeds going to some cause close to MJ's heart.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I think that Janet Jackson would of been a good choice to care for MJ children.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Tammy, Houma, LA

I actually agree with Al Sharpton for once. It should be about what Michael Jackson meant to those who knew him and the positive he brought to the world.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Dulcie - Denver

I'm confused about the whole sedation thing as well as a lot of people who've already mentioned it. Being put under general anesthesia is not the same as sleeping. If he truly could not get REM sleep, then that certainly may have caused some of his more outrageous behavior. Man cannot live without real sleep and general anesthesia is not the same thing at all. Big, big difference.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Evening everyone

I thought that Debbie Rowe had gained enough of an agreement with Michael Jackson and she doesn't want children.

At least it is a lot of bad character!

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. vaniece from ohio

she is only after the money. If it was me he wouldn't be able to keep me away from my kids. I hope that she doesn't get them, the best thing for them for right now is to keep the children together in this dark time.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. laura

i think the children should stay within the family ,i don't think debbie rowes should get them.but thats my theory.oh and happy b-day mom !

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Anita

Amen Rev. Sharpton. Would be nice to see the media cover the ENTIRE legacy of Michael Jackson.

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Larry

It would be a shame if Debbie Rowe gained custody of the two older children, separating the siblings; it would also be a shame if she gained financially from this tragedy. She has received enough money for life; none is needed for death.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Jasmine

Sharpton needs to get a reality check...we see MJ all the time in Public, that's the happy Jackson he's talking about....reason why there's focus on his troubles is because we don't know much about that.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  22. billie jean

Michael Jackson will be missed. I just people hadn't gave him such a hard time, because stress can put someone in the death bed.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Carolyn MacLennan

hello

i feel that MJ should be laid to rest first, then the law should investigate every avenue. then prosecute it things were done illegal. celebrate his life first then go after anyone who did things illegal.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Charmaine

Although the courts look at the best interest of the children, their mother received a settlement when she gave them to Michael. As such, whomeever Michael names in his will to be guardian of his children should be what the ultimate decision is.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Donna

I thing that Debbie Rowe should be given these children and a chance to be a mom. At least you don't hear horror stories of a brutally evil abusive person that you know and hear about Michaels father which Michael and his sisters have said about Joe Jackson and I think it would be terrible for these children to be raised by a woman who sat back and never did anything to stop the abuse to her own children.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Barbara Anne, Texas

To Sherry: The Fontana nascar track is a great idea. It would seat a lot of people.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  27. David

Rev. Sharpton is there only to make more controversy and make a scene for the television stations. This gives him more publicity. That is all he wants.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Luwaunna-Pittsburgh

The custody issue is a very sensitive situation. First, Michael Jackson's wishes should be carried out. Ms. Rowe should be calling the Jackson's asking how she can help. If it would ever come to Mrs. Katherine not being able to take care of the children, Diane would make a wonderful caregiver. Look at the beautiful job she has done with her own children. I rest my case.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Robbie

Since when have you been able to "bequeth" children? Sounds alot like slavery to me. Children aren't property. What does he mean "the will is the will"? I'm sure you can nominate someone to have custody but I don't see how that can make it so. Seems like a judge would have to decide that. The will would give the judge a clue has to how someone might want things to be but these are human beings not property!

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Annie Kate

Michael wanted his children to go to his mother and stay within the Jackson circle. It would be terrible emotionally to tear these children away from the only extended family they have ever known. If they have to pay Ms. Rowe off again they should get a signed agreement to file with the court that it will be the last time she hits them up for the children or for more money.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  31. jackie

The ex-wife sold her children to MJ for 8.5 million dollars, then went back for more money. Why should she have access to these children. It has always been about money with this women. The children deserve better then this women as a mother.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Amanda, GA

I agree with most of you. Debbie Rowe has other intentions. The will of MJ does NOT name her the guardian of his kids. So she needs to leave them be like she has their entire lives.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Darlene

Katherine Jackson did not protect her own kids from the physical abuse which all the kids, now adults state took place how would she protect her grandkids?

I think there is much more to Michael and Debbie then the public is aware of and if she seeks custody people should keep an open mind. She is not in need of money........but through the years she has attempted to see her children and was denied by Michael and his staff.

The kids need both families in their lives.......not limited to the Jackson houselhold without any other influences.

Let's be open minded.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Silvia

and one more thing, Michael looked GREAT in that last rehearsal! I was in tears when I saw it! We have teeny boppers around and the real talent is gone too soon!OMG Sharpton is still ON!!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Sam

Obviously the 8.5 million Debbie Rowe got to go away the first time wasn't enough.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Maureen T, Canada

Those 100 hours of footage should become a DVD or a separate performance would be wonderful! Yeah August 29, 2009 Rev Al!! That would be absolutely fantastic!! RIP Michael!

37. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Sorry I'm here somewhat late, not a great day here.

I thought it was the first dress rehearsal or run through of the show. When the vocal director for this tour was intvw'd, he said that this might've been the first time Michael went through show doing the dancing and singing together.

38. cheryl cusack

are u kiddding debbie rowe looking for custody for sure it is all about money!!Is there not anyone else in the jackson family whom can do interviews jermaine seems to always avoid qustions not to mention joe plugging his record company..maybe janet might talk sense..I adore MJ and use to argue with my neighbors for she loved the osmondss & i the Jackson lets remember a man whom brought much love to all throught his musical taletns & shame to those enablers whom cut his life short...

39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Jeffrey Toobin for information, talking about Debbie Rowe is trying custody of her kids. Nice job Jeffrey!

40. lisa

I am sick watching anderson right now, i pretty much believe that Debbie Rowe had no choice but to give these kids ups. Michael jackson is beyond famous they wanted her to go away, how dare a man say that a mother shouldn't have nothing to do with her own kids get a woman on the panel..

41. LECHANTE, New York City

The Will intentionaly left out debbie rowe , If in her interviews she stated she had these children for michael , why then come into the fold and try and take them. If she had such admiration for michael and her children , then 8.5 million would not have been enough money to leave and walk away. I honestly think she sees dollars signs. why would she want to have a court battle with the family who is more close to the kids than she is?

42. joy,WV

Micheal sure doesn't look like a sick person from that rehearsal video. I would be so surprise if the toxicology report comes back indicating that MJ died of medication bcos that medication in question right now (Diprivan) is a very powerful medication and it sure does knocks you out.

43. Minou, New York City

My friends in LA will go to the Staple Center memorial..I wish I could join them.

44. Brian Atlanta,GA

I believe we all know the motives of Debbie Rowe. Remember we are in a recession and custody of the children is just what she needs to weather the storm. Lets hope the judicial system understands what truly best for the children.

45. Crystal Tullis

I forgot to comment on "Blanket" . If Debbie Rowe takes the two eldest kids then where does that leave Blanket? Who is seriously going to break up the three children especially at a time like this. No matter where the children go they should stay together.

46. Dawn DeBaugh

I feel for these kids.

47. Natalie

If Debbie does get custody it will just be the result of the deep hate and contempt that the California justice system has against Michael Jackson. They have always done thier best to bring him down even in death.

48. Dorothy, Milwaukee, WI

Debbie Rowe getting custody is a joke! How do bear two children, get on live TV and state you gave them as gifts, and lets not forgete the $8mil she was paid! This whole story is a tragedy and the media and all of the vultures should be ashamed. It's amazing that a court would even consider giving custody to this woman who lived a stones throw away and never developed a relationship with these beautiful kids. DNA doesn't and should not ever determine what is best for children. I know numerous biological parents that are horrible parents and i know adoptive parents that I wouldn't hesitate to ask to care for my children.

Give it a rest and let the man at least have a proper burial before we start this nonsense!

July 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Donna

I don't think that Debbie Rowe should get the children, She's all about money, and the fact that MJ hasn't even been laid to rest yet is proof of her greed. I also don't think that it's anybody's business as to who gets what, and what's in the will. Let the family mourn so that they can begin to heal. come on people ... stop being nosy....

July 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Christina

I agree with the Al Sharpton thing...why give this man air time? Where he be without folks giving him air time?

July 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |