July 2nd, 2009

Job losses: Who's hurting the most?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/03/art.job.line.fair.jpg]

AC360°

The U.S. Department of Labor released unemployment numbers today and the results were worse than expected. The unemployment rate rose for the ninth straight month climbing to 9.5 percent. That's the highest rate since August 1983.

And last month the U.S. economy lost 467,000 jobs. This was the first time in four months that the number of jobs lost rose from the prior month.

Approximately 3.4 million jobs have been lost during the first half of 2009, more than the 3.1 million lost in all of 2008.

Here is a break down of the numbers, by demographic.

Adult men (10.0 percent) -up from 9.8 percent in May)
Adult women (7.6 percent) -up from 7.5 percent in May)
Whites (8.7 percent) -up from 8.6 percent in May)
Hispanics (12.2 percent) -down from 12.7 percent in May)
Teenagers (24.0 percent) -up from 22.7 percent in May)
Blacks (14.7 percent) -down from 14.9 percent in May)
Asians (8.2 percent) -up from 6.7 percent in May)

For more information check out the Labor Department's full report here.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Economy • Job Market • Unemployment
  1. Rick Longstreth

I have to laugh...I keep reading on this blog where simple minded people keep saying;" Poor Obama", he has only been at his job for 6 months. Keep believing and drink the Koolaid people. You deserve the taxes he has to impose soon.

Example: If I tell you I am not going to raise your income taxes, but then create a bill...Let's call it "cap and trade" and that forces large additional taxes on all business. The business owners ( whom the liberal left seem to hate) then raise the cost of their goods. Rich people who own businesses do not pay increased taxes...They simply raise the cost of their products and services to cover the taxes.

Now, Miss simple minded Kool-aid drinker has to pay more for all of her purchases: Drinks, tires, fuel, Walmart plastic junk etc...etc...and then at the end of the month, she realizes she no longer has any disposable income left. Now what? Oh...That's right, it is Bush's fault. It is those republicans again. How silly do you want to look? It is your President that spent $12 trillion dollars on silly programs and pork projects to pay back his partners. You should be blaming it on the one who is raising your taxes. Could you be so ignorant of the truth of how things really work?

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  2. charmichael

C'mon...Obama has NOTHING to do with you or me not having a job–nothing. (a) He just got to the White House, loooong after the economy was busted by you-know-who; (b) any measure or change implemented now will take over a year to have any significant effect whatsoever in the economy–that's how the economy works, read about it; to complain that what Obama is doing isn't working is just ignorant; (b) getting a job is tough–anytime, anywhere–especially after college; I graduated when the economy was great and still had an awful time finding a job; there are no guarantees; just because you graduated college doesn't mean you should have a job; (c) if you think finding a job in the U.S. is tough, move–good luck finding a job wherever you go...

July 2, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  3. Janine from PA.

I would hope that Australia also does not allow people to take jobs from Australian citizens, that the job cannot be filled by Australians. That should be done here. Eliminate welfare and have those people take the jobs the illegals do. Then no one can say that the illegals take jobs no one else wants to do. On the other side, don't let corporations hide assests overseas that cannot be taxed. There is lots of money not being declared. Lets not forget we'd be in much better shape financially if there wasn't this war that is sucking us dry along with companies ripping off the government there.

July 2, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  4. Janine from PA.

The government can't force employers to hire people back. If companies can get away with making due with less labor, they will do it.And when they do hire, they will look to pay less wages, so senior people could be out in the cold for a long time. President Obama said that there will be no quick fixes, they will make mistakes and things won't get better quickly. He inherited this mess and it will not be easy to fix, if it is fixable at all.

July 2, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  5. Larry

We don't dare blame Obama for anything otherwise we would be called racists.

July 2, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  6. Joshua

I am! 52, no real work background. Graduated 12th and the factories went overseas... America doesn't even make their own toasters anymore... and Mexicans and cubans are over running america taking the lower paid jobs like mowing lawns, cleaning ect... there is no place left for anyone.... even college kids can't find placement. STOP HAVING BABIES UNTIL AMERICA CAN HELP THOSE OF US THAT ARE HERE.... TO HELP OURSELVES! You are over populating the world... we are not dogs.... think before you lay in bed having sex... there's no jobs, no real medical care no one can afford food or rent or car insurance or prescriptions... we need to slow the human race down awhile... stop people from coming into America who can not bring jobs or support themselves. Austrailia won't let no one just go live there... you have to show oyu have means of support, job or offer business venture to create jobs. Why does Ameica only have the poor and drug addict and crooked people coming here??? No one of self support and means. No one with a high I.Q. Why is that???

July 2, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  7. jas

i see usa govt is actively racial profiling people today and cnn presents themselves as the racists pigs they are.

July 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  8. meenas17

Job losses have hurt the entire population, one way or other. The son, who has not got a job , is affected , so are his parents. The father has lost his job, so are the family members,who feel the pinch. The govenment , has to feed lot of hungry mouths . Everyone is looking for the package to stimulate the sensation of security.

July 2, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  9. E J Myers

I'm a student who is one semester from my degree and has been unemployed since 2007. I have now been denied financial aid, so I won't get my degree, which is required for the career I want. In a few months, student loan bills will start coming in. I pay $800 – 1000 a semester in health insurance, but I'm payng $100 a month for prescription meds, and I'm getting bills ranging from $40 – 300 from Grady, Emory and Morehouse for going to Grady for my blood pressure and annuals. Again, I have not had a job since 2007 for being in school or "overqualified" to work as a cashier or janitor. I don't get government assistance either. I want to work in my field, journalism, but can't even get my foot in the door. I will work anywhere an any job, but I'm either unqualified or inexperienced or under-educated. I need stimulation more than a bank who gets billions and still fail.

July 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  10. Diane

I thought OBiden was suppose to save or add jobs? He is a fraud. Not sure he is what people thought he was. Hispanics voted for him in great #s and they have the highest unemployment, good thinking people.

July 2, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  11. Toni Reece

We are all hurting. We are getting lost in numbers and we need to remember we have names. What ever happened to transactional ownership – human to human engagement. We need to report the people not the numbers.

July 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  12. Myrna gonzales

Who's hurting the mosts? Of course, the people who were laid off, has families,especially those with small kids who became victims of this mess. To be out there with the majority like myself trying to look for a job is very hard. You won't feel it until you become one of them.

July 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  13. Myrna gonzales

Why blame Pres.Obama for everything. Lets give him a chance to prove himself. He is barely six months in office and we must remember he inherited ALL this problems from Bush! He does'nt have a magic wand to erase all this problems and is trying his bests. Fair enough?

July 2, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  14. Clarissa

I graduated college almost 8 months ago and still don't have a job, and now my loans are due. How long does it take til we see things pick up? I'm not bashing Obama, but I need to know when sending out my resume won't be a pointless notion.

July 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  15. Vickey

This is very disturbing because my son has no job at this time and his unemployment is gone. I just think they should give us a big stimulus package and if they done it to begin with we would be sitting pretty and kept a lot of jobs and kept business open. Pass it along.

July 2, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  16. dina212

Poor spending of the stimulus money, indeed. The gov't needs to stop investing in debt and invest in people. It IS that simple.

July 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  17. Scott McNeely

Stimulus bill was to be passed, and dropped into infa-structure. 80% of infa-structure jobs are union only. How is this helping any and all typical Americans that don't conform, or believe in the union? I am a non-union concrete worker since 1991- and have been unemployed now since April 08'. If I want work in my trade, I must join the union. I am a firm believer that O'Bama, being from Illinois (STRONG UNION STATE), is only looking out for the union. Provide the United States with non-union work, or, let the states choose non-union companys to perform infa-structure work. Union costs 3x more than non-union. This alone will lower state deficiets, and bring the confidence back to hard working American people. I have seen time and time again union organizations destroy companies in and around the mid-west. Wake up people, the big 3 auto makers are perfect examples of what a union can do to a company. OVERPAY, and OVERCHARGE.

July 2, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  18. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

Either Obama's plans are not working, or he is not following through on them. I work in public sector, in California, and lay-offs are still happening by the hundreds. The governor is talking about cutting welfare programs entirely. I voted for Obama, but he needs to focus on the country's desperate economic situation as top priority.

July 2, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  19. Jorge Antonio Jimenez

It takes time to see the effects of the stimulus package in the economy. The jobs that are being lost were already in place for loss due to events that took place prior to the stimulus package approval. Jobs are being created, the recession is due to bottom out by the end of the year – President Obama said it "would get worse, before it got better", Obama critics need to remember which administration got us into this mess.

July 2, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  20. kendle71

Wow, people are so quick to blame President Obama for every problem America has encountered. Can we allow time for the programs to work, then lets judge. As I recall, President Bush put us here and he was elected twice. Humm, heres a thought, lets hold Bush accountable.

July 2, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  21. Omar

The stimulus that was approved was flawed from the beginning and many critics nailed it when they said this would not have much of an effect this year on the economy. Most of the spending occurs in 2010. The sad truth is that we are likely to see some economic recovery from the stimulus and then fall back into another nasty recession. We are in bad shape but we will survive it.

July 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  22. mary Frost

President Obama should be the one that is hurting the most, since the stimulus money was wasted on programs that were not needed. He should have to pay the price for making false promises, and making our children and grandchildren pay for that wasteful spending. We need to hold obama accountable as he said we should-let's do it .

July 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  23. mary Frost

According to President Obama, if we passed the stimulus package, unemployment was not going to go beyond 8%, but if we did not pass it, then it would go possibly up to double digits. He said it was an emergency to pass it quickly. Guess that is just another of his promises was not true. It's strange how the major media never go back and replay his statements showing how he's been wrong in so many things.

July 2, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  24. SLM

This can't be possible.......Obama promised if his pork spending bills were passed immediately unemployment wouldn't go up, he was going to create millions of jobs. Do you think they finally figured out spending billions of dollars isn't going to stimulate anything? It's not rocket science.

July 2, 2009 at 12:18 pm |