July 2nd, 2009

Evening Buzz: Jackson Rehearsal Caught on Tape

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/02/jackson.wrap/art.jackson.aeg.jpg caption= "Michael Jackson is shown rehearsing at the Staples Center on June 23, two days before his death."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360°, we'll play for you the last known video of Michael Jackson shot two days before he died.  CNN got the video from Jackson's concert promoter, AEG Live. It  was recorded at his last full rehearsal at LA's Staples Center. Jackson appears healthy as he danced and sang "They Don't Care About Us", a song from his HIStory album.

Anderson is reporting live from Los Angeles again tonight. He'll share with you his interview today with Randy Phillips, president and CEO of AEG. Phillips saw Jackson in his last rehearsal Wednesday night. He told Anderson that Jackson was a "healthy, vibrant human being" hours before his death. "He put his arm around me, and with that soft voice of his he whispered in my ear, 'Thank you, we're going to get it there together. I know I can do this.'"

Anderson also spoke with Jackson's show director, musical director and choreographer. All three have amazing insight on Jackson's final hours. The "King of Pop" was scheduled to return to the arena for another rehearsal at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, two hours after he was pronounced dead at UCLA Medical Center.

Tonight, we also have new insight on the memorial service that will take place Tuesday morning at the Staples Center. The arena has 20,000 seats.  We're also working our sources to find out when his funeral will take place.

There are also legal developments tied to Jackson's death. We've learned that a judge has delayed for a week, until July 13, a hearing to decide if Jackson's mother will remain the temporary guardian of Jackson's children.  Will the mother of Jackson's two oldest children, Debbie Rowe, try to get custody of them? Do you think she should? Share your thoughts below. Randi Kaye will have that story for you tonight.

In other news, a U.S. soldier has been abducted in southeastern Afghanistan. He's being held by a notorious militant clan, a senior U.S. military official said. Here's what's been pieced together: The American soldier and three Afghan soldiers were first captured by low-level militants who then quickly "sold" them to the clan. Nic Robertson will have the latest on military mystery tonight on 360°.

And, on a lighter note, don't miss tonight's shot. Wait 'till you see what a sea lion was caught doing in Southern California. We could put this in our infamous category of "Amazing Animal Video."

Join us for all this and much more starting at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Mary

Thank you for your coverage of MJ specifically Anderson's and Larry King's work. I am very saddened at his sudden passing and I want all the info I can get. I loved watching his rehearsal tape I just felt so proud and ready to dance cause my brother was "working it"! I want you to know that I have noticed throughout the week people have just spontaneously started singing there fav MJ songs smiling and shaking their heads. This happened at work and at Quick Trip when I was buying a soda, one guy was singing then everyone joined in. It would be nice to see some coverage on how people are grieving him, I think Michael would really be honored!...And when the groove is dead and gone... you know that love survives and we will rock FOREVER...RIP

July 2, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Dahlia Barnes

I grew up in Jamaica on Micheal Jackson's music. I can remember my friends and i listening together to the words and dancing to his music. I introduced his music to my children who are saddened at his death. I never had to worry about the subject matter and that is why i knew he loved his children. Micheal broke cultural barriers we will never understand and to this day his words will live in my heart "it doesn't matter if your black or white" An icon to the world, i will miss you micheal.

July 2, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. sophia bunsie

Jermaine Jackson said he doesn't think anyone should contest Michael's will and I am with him 100% on that. His will is his last wish what he wanted NO one should fight that that what he wanted especially for his kids. I think he should be burried at Neverland he was very happy and @ peace there. God knows he NEEDS peace with everything that is going on now

July 2, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Kathy Boyce

A truly misunderstood, talented and gentle soul. He tried to be all things to all people. He wanted to neutralize his race and gender in an attempt to "fit in", without sterotype. In many ways, he succeeded in that challenge. Too bad he did not realize that we "saw" his musical ability and not his race or gender. Let his legacy be that children must be loved and respected; not used and manipulated. His talent brought him to our attention, for which we are grateful. We will always love his music. Now you can take your much needed rest. Thank you MJJ and may God bless.

July 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. M. May

I remember seeing the Jackson 5 at Veteran's Memorial when I was young (I'm 3 years younger than Michael). Looking back, I am surprised that my mom took me to this concert and I can only assume that my dad did not know. Michael broke through the racial divide. Michael was one of the most gifted performers that ever lived. He not only sung the music, danced to the music, produced the music, but he wrote the music! I only wish he had not been such a tortured soul and felt the need to change his appearance constantly. I hope that he is truly at rest. Thank you for all the memories. God speed Michael.

July 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. phyllis johnson

I am a michael jackson fan, I love all the Jacksons and I have a special prayer for Joe Jackson. Michael for the rest of my days you will be with me. I remember as a young girl my mother taking us to the Jackson five concert, it was amazing. I will always love michael jackson from the bottom of my heart. I wiish that I had the finances to come to the memorial. I know your homegoing is going to be beautiful, there wouldn't be any other way..... I wish you peace, rest, and love, your fan forever. Phyllis Johnson

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. robert

I am still in denial this happened to him. Seeing that last rehearsal made me think what a shame because he still had it nobody in the music industry today can top what this legend accomplished nor will they ever. even at 50 years old he was truly remarkable. no one can top this act nor will they ever. ive said it since i was a kid i love michael jackson and i always will rest in peace mj you will be missed more than i even realized. there will never another like you

July 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Samirah (BELIZE)

Michael Jackson will always be remembered not only as, a music legend but also as a humble man ppl may not see the real reason he built never land.He built it for those who were needy. So M.J. will always be remebered not only one place but world wide

~!~RIP KING OF POP~!~
    (MICHAEL JACKSON)
    🙁

July 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Johnny Gul

OHHH man i dont know where to begin.. MJ you are a prophet in your field.. But first of allid like to say "rest in peace".. Man you deserve a spot in heaven that god has picked out with his own hands specially for you.. i speak what i feel, and MJ was awesome. No one will ever come close to what that man has achieved as in bringing people of differences together and entertaining people in there worst or happiest moments ..
    THANK YOU TO THE LADY WHO BROUGHT HIM TO LIFE..
    We loved Michael and we will always remember him through out our lives and leave the memories we carry onto our children.. He truly honestly was a Smooth Criminal.. GOD BLESS MJ...

CHEERS..
    Johnny

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. genesis

michael jackson was a man of pride. if i can do anyhing like him i will dance like him. i miss him very much. r.i.p michael you will always live in my heart. and i'll b praying for you jackson family. he was special, talented, and blessed. he was defintely the king of pop. rest in peace mj.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Greg Voyles

We have watched the MJ's last video several times, to both of us MJ looked remarkable. He seemed to be in rather good shape and still could "move" better than any 50 year old that we know. His voice sounded MJ style and his build was a little thin but MJ was always built that way. The world has been blessed to have witness his talents of singing, dancing, and enteraining us all.
    Thanks MJ for the memories!!!! May God be with you and all of your family.

July 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. sophia bunsie

MJ's rehearsal, 2 days before he died? AWESOME. He looked GREAT, he performed well, he didn't look like he was ill something went wrong somewhere. This is it tour was going to be the tour of his life it's such a pity he had to die. I just need his soul to REST in PEACE

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. AJMacTavish

No wonder MJ wanted his doctor to stay over night.. he was so up from rehearsal from all reports.. and knew he needed a drug induced sleep and required doctor to monitor his breathing... just my opinion

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. ashley

He looks AWESOME! I am so happy he went back to the long curly hair for these concerts. He looks like the Michael I fell in love with in 1992. His death is tragic. But what makes it even more sad is these comeback concerts he was was going to do. OOOh what could have been, what could have been. SOOO SAD! To think that he died all because he wanted a good nights rest... THIS IS INSANE! That doctor should have monitored him better. I want HIM back! I want HIM back! I want HIM BACK!

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Lisa

There will NEVER be anyone to compare to Michael Jackson! Thank you, CNN and Anderson Cooper, for FINALLY spotlighting this incredible man in a positive light! MIchael might have had sleeping problems....ok...I'll give you that. He did what any of us would have done...consulted with a doctor! Michael's death appears to have been a HUGE mistake on behalf of one or more doctors. However, MIchael's talent was certainly no mistake! This man gave the world the kind of joy that lives on forever! Every time I watch footage of MIchael Jackson's performances (or listen to his music) my heart is filled with warmth! I'm sure I'm not the only one with that kind of visceral reaction! Thank you Michael Jackson...and the entire Jackson Family! A special "Thank You" to Joe and Katherine Jackson for loaning your multi-talented children to the world, if only for a little while. May your family continue to receive many blessings.....IN LIFE AND IN DEATH!

July 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Brenda

I have watched the video numerous times I am surprised he looked healthy full of energy and I do believe if he would have lived he would have made A GREAT Comeback. Something happened in the house that night but what.

July 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Vanessa

I feel Michael Jackson has touched the hearts of many not just with his music but sharing his personal life with all of us. No one will ever understand this soul unless they lived his life and who is anyone to judge anyone. He had a magic about himself, he had so much love in his hearts and did so much for many and many more that we the public do not know about. Lets talk about the good this man has done and lets forget the negitive that one posses upon this man.
    I feel deeply sorry for his childrens loss and yes they should be with Michael's family and Michael's family only. This Debbie chick should be so ashamed of herself, if we want to talk negitive about anyone it certainly should be her.
    God Bless you Michael and I hope God has saved a special place in Heaven for you. You music will live on. I play your songs almost everyday. Thank you Michael for your music and talent that you have shared with us.

July 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. maria r

Please everyone one let micheal rest in peace we all know how great he was and is lets stop focusing on the negative and remember him for the true icon and legendary gentle soul that he was and will always be. They keep saying he was troubled and had issue but please listen peole go and look in the mirror and tell me who doesn't have issue some deal with it better than others. My only regret is that I never got a chance to meet micheal in person but secretly I adore him I loved him and I feel like part of my family is gone that is the effect he has on people. Love you micheal RIP hero.

July 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  19. briana embry

I agree I think Debbie Rowe should not get the kids she dosent know them she has really never had contact with the kids and they say she tryed to win her kids in a custody battel when michael was getting close with islam and the court battel and she dident win I feel that with the islam and the charge with malestation she would get the kids but I don't thik she tryed hard to get them I think she just wants the money

July 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Kira

The most famous person on earth has died .And he will be missed by me and others.

July 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Joe diaz

I will miss u MJ

July 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Dave

@ Jo Ann.

Its not going to stop for a while yet, Better get use to it lady.

RIP MJ !!!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Hillary

I watched the video footage of Michael Jackson's rehearsal, right before he died. He clearly looks unhealthy to me. He doesnt move the way he used to – his movements seem limited. His facial expressions make me feel that he is having difficulty moving and that he doesnt feel well at all. He looks sickly and older than he actually was

July 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Valerie

Thank you Anderson for doing such an excellent job in covering Michael Jackson and the strange events surrounding his untimely demise. You are doing a great job being fair and honest!

July 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. PChampagne

I'm so sad about MJ, he was a tortured soul, an artist.

July 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Anil

Michael Rocks. World missed his performance. Thanks to AEG for the tapes.

July 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. natalia

Michael Jackson was, is and always will a legend..I am happy that the children will most likely be with their grandmother: Katherine..It would be unfair if Debbie Rowe stepped in to claim her parental rights now because as Michael has died, she 'd be all for the money...I continue to pray for the Jackson family during this difficult time..

July 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. MIR

To Barry in Texas. I saw the smile too! MJ looked great.

What I don't understand is how the truth is going to take away from Michael's amazing legacy? I for one demand to know what happened, and why the people involved didn't think twice.
    There is no justice in cover ups. And no peace in lies. Let's be truthful, even if it's not what "we" want to hear.

July 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Alice

I am curious to know what the current financial status of Debbie Rowe
    is. I find it interesting that she would choose to seek custody of the two older Jackson children at this time while having allowed years to pass without making an attempt. Is she truly motivated for their well being, or for financial gain for herself?

July 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. lupe

we will miss u micheal your music will live on forever like all others who has pass on love u micheal jackson

July 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. J Harris

No one really knows what the agreement with Michael and Debbie Rowe was. She did try to get custody and failed two times. I am in no way defending her for not being with her children, but she was in an extraordinary situation.She was up against Michael Jackson. I think the right thing is for the courts to hear her side . If she is the biological mother and submits to whatever test the courts need to prove she is fit and is not looking for monetary gain her and Mrs Jackson should share in equal rights to these poor children. Perhaps they can have some type of a normal childhood.

July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Anastasia -Toronto, Canada

This is a complete tragedy, he was a legend! He was a wonderful humanatarian! Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, he was talented and innovative. I grew up with his music. I have been glued to the t.v. since his death. I feel so very heart broken and saddened with some of the negative news I hear about him. It is wrong, he just died, I wish people that speak badly about him would let him rest in peace. It is appalling to see this happening.
    I hope things work out for the best for his children and the way he wanted things.
    My heart goes out to his children, poor children. In no way should Debbie Rowe try to be a mother to Michaels children now. she wants the money, she only got interested more assertively in the children now.

your bright light will live in our hearts forever. I hope you are now in peace.

July 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Bianca Lauderdale

In reference to Debbie Rowe "wanting the children", it is about Debbie Rowe wanting the money tied to the children. It was about money at the moment of conception and it is about money now. YOU GO Debbie – The Ultimate GOLD DIGGER!

July 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Janice Bushee

I am going to miss you Michael Jackson. I grew up with your music. I will never forget you. You were the greatest entertainer.

July 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Abayomi Ibrahim

Hearing from Randi reporting on the custody of Michael's children that Debbie might be contesting because of Michael closeness to the Nation of Islam. When did that become an indictment on Michael's character.

Debbie got paid for carrying Micahel's children. Her job is done. She should not have any rights to the children regardless of what the media is trying to cook up.

July 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. jackie

if debbie rowe challenge the custody of michael's two oldest children...she should be required to first re-pay the 8.5 million
    dollar settlement she received in the past. let this be a lesson
    that children are not to be bought and sold...they are not property
    rather a gift. she needs to check her motives before upsetting the
    children and the jackson family especially during this sad...sad time.

July 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Sara

I LOVED Michael in the 80s. Beyond that he is entitled to his privacy. Debbie Rowe may be the biological mother but she gave up her right when she sold the rights to them. I think that is despiciable!!! I think that Michael's Mother knows what it entails to raise these children in the limelight and she has the right frame of mind to raise these children. I think it is deplorable that any person is taking advatntage of Michael's death to make money. It makes me sick!!!!

July 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Jennifer

If Jo Ann is tired of the Michael Jackson coverage then she should stop watching! There are lots of people who are still interested in this tragic story!

I loved Michael and I am thankful for CNN and the coverage they are bringing us! I loved watchiing the video of Michael's last rehearsal. He looked vibrant and wonderful! Can't understand what happened. He should still be here with us.

July 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Jay

He looked great. It is so hard to except. May he have the peace he deserves. He gave his life to his fans.

July 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Janel Gaynor

Remember the song 'Dirty Diana". Michael always said to read his songs.

July 2, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Annie Kate

Ahhhh an amazing animal video – those are so good; I'm really looking forward to the one tonight. In the video of Michael at his last rehearsal he looked really good – I hope they have most of the numbers on tape and can market it – that would bring in a fair amount of money for the estate and his children. Looking forward to a great show.

July 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Kathy

Just looking at the footage..that would have been an incredible concert!!

July 2, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  43. Charmia

Michael's tragedy has left 3 young, innocent children without a father. I think it's a true blessing that they have the opportunity to stay with their grandmother, who i'm sure loves them dearly and would do her best despite her age. Michael's wishes should be honored. Debbie Rowe is in no way, in my opinion, a mother to these children. She basically agreed to exit their life for monetary gain. I think that any attempt she makes to attain guardianship of the children is an attempt to cash in on another payday. She has shown no public interest in the children until this point and has publically denounced her maternal relationship and desire to have a maternal relationship with these children. I find it appalling that she waited until Michael Jackson's death to discuss the private, personal details of their relationship and the obvious private details of how the children were conceived. I hope that a dependable member of Michael's family can care for these children with the love and sensitivity that Michael was denied as a child.

July 2, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  44. Karen Glenday

In the late 1960s and early 1970s ending racial segreation in public schools was in full swing in the Deep South. I was transitioning from elementary school to junior high school. Making that transition was hard enough! But I do remember how all of us kids, African-American and Caucasian found common ground through the music of Michael Jackson and the Jackson-5. We all knew the words to all of the Jackson songs. We sang and danced to that music during P.E (Physical Education) class, in the gym and girls locker room. I don't remember any violence or negatives during that transition. We were all in it together. The music. Michael Jackson's music brought us all together in harmony. Michael Jackson and his music deserve credit for helping us get through one of the most tumultuous times in U.S. public education history. I believe this part of the Michael Jackson story has been overlooked. God Speed, Michael!

July 2, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  45. Yana

I am glad that we get to see MJJ in his last rehearsal. This should silencce a lot of people about his condition just before he died. It's obvious that something went very wrong at MJJ Manor!

July 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  46. Janel Gaynor

I hope Michael is finally at peace. His fame brought him his death. He had grown up physically too young, as it's always been. I think his relationship with Dianna Ross has always been more than "friendly" and everyone should have seen that long ago. He was always a beautiful person inside and out. I just wished he would have seen that. He shouldn't be buried, first of all he never wanted to be buried. I am sorry,but Michael was never "INVINCIBLE' his life was already made out for him. RIP MIKE

July 2, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  47. Jo Ann

Please stop this Michael Jackson coverage. There are much more important things happening in the world.

July 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  48. Alexandra Wasylycia

Amazing! He still had "Magic" 2 days before he died...it's like a Greek tragedy....addiction cuts down talented and average and street people and sales professionals and lawyers and preachers and cleaners &manicurists...such a sad disease..tragic...if he'd have gone to rehab and AA meetings...but, burnt toast,...by-gones,...

July 2, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  49. Lupson Pasteur

I saw the video he looked great!! I don't believe that he had any health problem,:) in the video Michael look very happy.I believe this concert would of been his comeback!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless Michael Jackson!! God have a place in heavan for you!!!!!!!!!!! (+)

July 2, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  50. Bobbie M, Dallas, TX

I've played the Michael Jackson video you posted over and over again just to prove to myself I wasn't seeing things. If you watch until the very end, after the director calls " Hold for applause, hold for applause then fade out... " just as the lights begin to fade dim, Michael smiles. It is a smile of accomlishment and acheivement – you can almost hear him say "yesssss I still have it!".... If you didn't see it, watch it again.... Its there – he smiles.... How wonderful!!!!! No wonder AEG picked this footage to release! My compliments to them for that.... and BRAVO to Michael Jackson....

July 2, 2009 at 8:47 pm |