July 1st, 2009

Jackson: 'Don’t ever talk about your dying'

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/01/jackson.wrap/art.mj.gate.afp.gi.jpg caption="Workers fix the gate at Neverland Ranch's entrance Tuesday in Los Olivos, California."]

Jane Fonda
Janefonda.com

This is the longest I’ve gone without blogging for some time. But sometimes you just have to let life play itself out without comment. Like so many people, I have been in a wash of images and feelings about Michael Jackson. I knew him as well as one could know him during the time before he did “The Wiz” and up through “Thriller.” I couldn’t pretend to understand him.

There were so many complicated signals. Did he want me to be his ‘older women’ friend. He gravitated to older women. For solace? Succor? A beard? Did he want me to teach him the ropes? I never could quite figure it out. But I remember one day he was visiting me at my ranch north of Santa Barbara. It was the first time he had been in that region but he must have liked it because later he bought his ranch in that same area.

Read more...

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Michael Jackson
  1. Annabelle

thank you Ms. Fonda for this beautiful text of Michael. May he rest in peace. his musical legacy will live forever.

July 2, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  2. Annie Kate

Seems like Michael liked mature, knowledgeable women with a strong sense of self – kind of like his mother. I feel for him; he must have been a terribly lonely, isolated man. Hopefully he is in more peace now.

July 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  3. Triny

Thank you Ms. Fonda for your blog. I am a big fan of Michael Jackson and it hurts that he isn't here with us. He was a gentle soul and will be forever missed.

July 1, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  4. Lisa

I really believe that we have lost a brilliant man! He was so talented in all the work he has done with singing, dancing and being a father to his beautiful children. I am disgusted with the media that tries to put Michael Jackson down, he was fighting his own personal battles and i really think that it is unfair to bring him down espically now that he has passed. We should all get together and remember the great icon and for his kids to grow up and see how much their father was
    missed. R.I.P Michael Jackson

July 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  5. Larry

Hi Jane, I thought you moved to Hanoi.

July 1, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  6. Charles

Paul...
    As a Vietnam Vet I appreciate your grief..This is a big world we live in and the discussion of Michael Jackson in no way diminishes the sacrifice of your buds..don't get confused

July 1, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  7. Andrew Sanford

Since his death, all I see on CNN is Michael Jackson this and that. I do not believe one man regardless of his accomplishments are more important then the world on the brinks of a Nuclear war with North Korea. I am very disapointed with CNN.

July 1, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

Beautiful ... beautiful text!

July 1, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  9. mourice

Michael himself probably didn'nt quite know what to do. One thing is clear, however, he was a master at media exposure. It probably wasn't an accident then that web sites crashed at news of his (at the time) possible death.

Black or White, Man in the Mirror, We are the world, ... this to me showed that he really did want a better world. He returned to these themes throughout his music. He just didn't know how to get there in this life.

July 1, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  10. Aline Ikuzwe

Thank you Ms Fonda, thank you again .But I have a question can the police found Ms Lee and get charges of no sense comment she made just to be on camera?Please somebody found out for me.RIP Michael we all love you .Ms Fonda if you attend the memorial service bring memories for all Michael true fans in the WORLD.tHANKS.

July 1, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  11. Paul Haley

During the month of June 2009, Army Sgt Kevin Dupon, 52 died in Texas from wounds surfered in Afghanistan. He will never receive 15 seconds of having his name mentioned on CNN. Neither will Army Spec. Jonathan O'Neill age 22 or Marine Warrant Officer Ricky Richardson age 33.
    They died serving their country. None probably could moon walk. Probably none of them ever had plastic surgery to change their appearance. They were never charged with molesting children. And I am sure they most likely paid their bills with the little amount of money the government paid them for giving their lives. My prayer is that when they entered the gates of heaven this month, the Lord welcome them and told them of a job well done. CNN remember what's IMPORTANT.

July 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  12. Charles

I think the media has overlooked by mistake or by choice the importance of Michael's skin disorder VITILIGO. All reports indicate or speculate that his transformation was prompted by his need to be "universal" or white. That could perhaps be the most misinterpreted, misinformed and harmful information being circulated.

Michael could not have performed before millions of fans in the state of being half black and half white. For those millions of us who have this unique autoimmune skin disorder crinch at the thought that Michael did not make the best of a bad situation. As an entertainer, cosmetic enhancement was a necessity for Michael to offset the duality of skin and facial features...

Those who have VITILIGO understand that Michael made the choice that we all struggle with.

I sincerely wish Anderson Cooper will provide his viewers with an educated view of Michael's dilemma

July 1, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  13. MOMMY

I would like to say that the nurse Lee is not abiding by the HIPPA LAW.
    Patient confidentiality, please.

July 1, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  14. Joy-a loving fan

Thank you so much for letting us know this.R.I.P Michael always in my heart.

July 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  15. Melissa

Thank you Ms Fonda. That was comforting.

July 1, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  16. Beverly

Ms. Fonda: Thanks for the insight from someone who actually knew him.

July 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm |