June 30th, 2009

Just what was up with Jackson's doc?

[cnn-photo-caption image="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/25/michael.jackson/art.hospital.x17.jpg"%5D

Mary Mitchell
The Chicago Sun-Times

Dr. Conrad Murray might as well find himself a new gig. Murray is the cardiologist who was with Michael Jackson when he died.

He is now being slammed across the Web as being culpable for the shocking death that stopped the world.

My daughter and I sat up late into the night watching the Jackson coverage.

It was our way of mourning an entertainer whose music is the soundtrack for our memories.

Having a heart attack or cardiac arrest at age 50 isn't unheard of.

But Michael Jackson? Who thought he would go out that way?

"It ain't right," my daughter said more than once.

Later that weekend, my eldest son summed up my feelings.

"It's like a piece of me died," he said.

So far, the official word is that Jackson had taken "some unspecified medication," which is about as vague as it gets.

Read more...

Filed under: 360º Follow • Michael Jackson
  1. Amanda S.

I think his Dr needs to LOSE HIS LICENSE.
    He was too worried about what- trying to be a hero... But instead he let him die.
    He waited too long to call for assistance, and any Dr would've known to move him to the floor, not try to do CPR on the bed. He should have called 911 asap and then attempted to move him to the floor and do CPR.
    This is a tragedy.
    Long live Michael Jackson,
    Long live the KING<3

July 1, 2009 at 4:34 am |
  2. Faith

i think there's more to this story than meets the eye. More on both MJ and the doctors side!

July 1, 2009 at 4:04 am |
  3. vivian anekwe

Hi Andersoon,
    MJ's death is one of the saddest things in the history of mankind.I think its unfair that people are criticising him so soon.
    Let's focus more on the man that lived and died a legend.give his soul a break for the sake of his family.
    His memory is still very fresh in our hearts.A lot of us have to go through the healing process.

July 1, 2009 at 3:01 am |
  4. Michael, New York

From what I've read and heard so far, Mr.Jackson passed a physical examination clearing him to perform 50 shows. My question is this, how does a man weighing 112 lbs. pass a physical examination for a person of his height? Unfortunately this story is going to drag on and my personal feeling is this; let the man rest in peace. If there is negligence towards his personal physician, the courts and medical boards will see that the punishment fit the crime committed. Mr.Jackson obviously had issues both physical and psychological issues way before he employed this physician. Any and all medical practitioners involved in his care should be questioned and investigated.

July 1, 2009 at 2:56 am |
  5. mertz

people are just coming up with speculative conclusions based on the lack of information. cpr can be given many ways. people are taught differently on how to administer it and where to administer it. you may be on a bed but the bed may have been a very strong surface/hard. maybe they were afraid to move him because as we all know everything with mj has to be done with care as he is extreemly thin. and also the lawyer's timing may have been off. maybe they thought that mj might have had a chance so they had other people on the line including 911. maybe they called 911 when it got worst. he could perform chest compressions when the pulse fainted away completely. maybe micheal went in and out of conciousness. the point is that we don't know. especially about the doctor. considering that he was working with mj for only 1 month, but mj probably also was dealing with other doctors or health practitioners at the same time. people don't know anything about this dcotor actually so do yourself a favour and stop speculating. wait for more information.

July 1, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  6. vickie

l really think the doctor is covering up things he didnt do and should of done they should check him out not that it will bring him back but to stop him from doing it to some eles

July 1, 2009 at 2:26 am |
  7. jane

I think this registered nurse is very credible. Her story seems to fit in with all the other Drs. he hit up for hard drugs scrips. If he was given this highly dangerous drug to sleep, after he woke up and the Dr. who gave it to him had probably left, he may have begun to experience some scary side effects,it makes perfect sense, in a panic he would have called this nurse, since he knew , she knew, about the drug and it side effects from her research about the drug and her trained experience.

July 1, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  8. Joy-a loving fan

My heart aches because of th so called Doc.Evidently he did not know what he was doing and he needs to be questioned...and why was he performing CPR on his bed?Why did he go missing after MJ died?I think he gave him the drug....He disgusts me in a way I can not explain.....Please let's focus on all the good things he did and let us not slander his name now that he is dead...OK?I love you Michael and may the person responsible be punished...Thank You.

July 1, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  9. jane

Isn't it strange that all the people around Michael Jackson are still covering up for him, trying to hide the obvious. I don't trust Miko Brando, how could he work for Michael all those years and claim that he never noticed anything strange, the whole world noticed something was not right and that Michael was weak and too thin, Miko was just was being paid not to notice!

July 1, 2009 at 2:09 am |
  10. Mads

I really don't know why people are more focused on HOW this doctor performed CPR on Michael. The biggest issue I think is WHY was there a 30 minute lapse prior to calling 911? If he is truly a doctor and a Cardiologist at that, one basic rule of CPR or BLS is that BEFORE you perfrom CPR, you should CALL FOR EMT help first or 911. This doctor is obviously hiding something. His excuse was there was no phone, he was perfroming CPR etc.etc. There is a small window that a person can be revived from an arrest and this doctor wasted all this important time tryingto cover up of possibly what he did. The 911 caller supports this when he said "his not responding to CPR" which obviously they have spent sometime performing prior to calling 911.

July 1, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  11. Bella

I sure wouldn't want to be known as the Doctor that let Michael Jackson die.
    I smell fish and it is a bad smell. Very suspicious but will wait for the facts. Keep us up to date Anderson.
    I am still in shock.
    When will all these other Doctor's be found? Why didn't these people contact Katherine and other family members with concerns? My God we are talking about Michael Jackson folks!!
    ps- get rid of Joe, he's an insult, send him back to NV!

July 1, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  12. Nadeen

Dr. Murray has been my cardiologist here in Las Vegas for four years. Please wait for all of the facts. As his patient, I can understand why Michael Jackson would want Dr. Murray to go on tour. There has to be more to this story.

July 1, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  13. Nancy

Weak people don't need to have fame, wealth, or fortune to get drugs. All they need to do is go to an MD and ask for what they want. I have spoken with DEA agents to name them know Md's involved in this practice. The DEA agent acknowledged they can not do anything as Md's are protected by the fact they don't do background checks on their Pt's. If listed on the medical record is an appropriate dx, they can not be considered neglectful/inappropriate in issuing the drugs. Md's are the biggest drug dealer in the United States. Maybe the exposure of this practice can stop the practice. Who financially benefits from an addict going to the MD? The MD for the visit, pharmacy, and maybe a drug dealer. Who losses? The fatherless, motherless, and families in ruins. Please allow this media exposure to result in a change in this unethical, immoral, and illegal practice by licensed physicians.

July 1, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  14. Cindy Privette-Barrera

I concur with all the comments on CPR, I am a nurse and a CPR Instructor as well. The doctor should be definitely investigated. He agreed to be Mr.Jacksons personal doctor and took on the responsibility when he was put on payroll. He did not perform proper CPR. The 911 dispatch had to instruct them to get Mr. Jackson on the floor. This time lapse could have definitely been the fine line between life and death. How
    tragic.

July 1, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  15. Lupson Pasteur

This doctor must be a real idiot to perform CPR on a bed!!! How did Michael trust you!!! I can't believe he would trust a doctor that is not board certified!!! I'm CPR certified I would of know what to do in such medical problem!!! How did Mr.Murray became a doctor?? Don't even know how to perform CPR!!! As I read more about Michael Jackson's story online how do us American can trust any doctors.Please if any comments let me know!!!

July 1, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  16. mg

A lot of unanswered questions regarding how long the doc had been with MJ, whey did it take so long to call 911, why cpr on the bed, what was his role during the night, what medications did he prescribe and administer, why didn't he sign the death certificate, why did he disappear for 24 hours refusing to come forward and immediately hiring an attorney. There are just too many hang-er-ons, too many trying taking advantage of MJ's generosity and not enough TRUE friends. Soooo many wannabees. Maybe the medical community or someone will finally take note of med on demand to prominent stars and do somthing about this now.

July 1, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  17. curtis

I heard some one say Dr.Conrad need to find another job.If I was him i would. Because if you was hire by a big insurance company that mean they are your boss right. It not like they are gone out of bussiness,but to keep your boss out of troubles you leave. But my point is a boss give his employee job duties to do each day. If you like the pay you obey on day to day bases.The last job fulfillment you did the last hour Michael Jackson lived must was your biggest challenge. You fulfil your duties Mike dead you out of work,but you got paid if not looking for pay.

July 1, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  18. Sarah

Michael is now truly at peace. To me Michael was so mesmerizing and beautiful, I can only imagine what a beautiful angel he has become. I still find it hard to believe he's gone, but I'm sure no ones hurt compares to that of his children, hopefully they can be comforted in knowing that where their father is now there is no such thing as pain.We love you Michael. RIP

July 1, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  19. @JGbraineruption

As much as I would like to believe the doctor contruibuted to MJ's death, I'm starting to see the whole wrong place wrong time type situation.

But at the same time there are some elements to the doctors story that confuse me. He could be a suspect.

July 1, 2009 at 12:14 am |
  20. Albert

I'm sure his doctor did not mean to overdose him. That would mean no more money.

July 1, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  21. neeta

I am a nurse of 23 years. The ABC's of a code and someone not breathing is to perform chest compressions. To perform this effectively the patient has to be on a hard surface. If in the hospital we use a board, but if that is not available then one has to put that patient on the floor. I am a nurse and I know this so, I would think that a doctor would know this even more so. Next , if a professional is going to administer any thing to a patient, they should take messures to protect the patient and their license. This means having narcan available and a portable defeb. readily available to use if needed. sounds like this doctor only cared about money. Like I said in previously in another comment, forget all this crap about him being the biological father,this is how he wanted it for whatever reason, he has taken care of these kids all these years. You all say that you are so concerned about the kids,how can you even say that when you are talking about all of this and that they will hear from someone what you are saying. They are already hurting inside because they have lost the only father that they have ever known, do you want to be the blame someday for them having to go to a psychiatrist. Please stop all this crap conerning the children. they definitely belong with his mother with the nanny around to help, so leave well enough alone. Let MJ rest in peace along with his family and children. Maybe there should be focus on having a rehab or drug program in MJ's name to help prevent or focus on SAVING LIVES. We can't bring him back and he will live forever in our heart's so why not make something good happen out of something bad.

July 1, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  22. Julie

If MJ asked the doctor to spend the night to care for him, the doc should have checked on him prior to noon. And if he had a pulse, I would be rescue breathing him, not chest compressions. He should have had a portable defibrilator, they are common these days. And who cares if he didn't know the address? He still should have called 911.
    If I was this doctor I would be very nervous right now. If you hold a liscense to practice, you'd better protect it. He is held to a higher standard.

July 1, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  23. Joanne Zervos

Dr. interviewed in this piece as an elite MD by Dr. Sanjay Gupta answered 'yes' to the question of providing injections of Oxycontin. Oxycontin is not available as an injection, it is a time released tablet.
    how scary? this doctor is paid for expertise?

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  24. Anita Hunt

Why didn't Dr. Murray accompany Michael to the hospital? Why was he missing from the house when the ambulance arrived? The good doctor could not call 911 from his cell phone using the speaker during those critical moments of life when he was supposedly giving CPR incorrectly. What drugs did the doctor (Murray) give Michael? Did anyone ask. I don't believe N. Brando a friend of Michael's for 14 years didn't know of the drug addiction.

June 30, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  25. Nicole Anderson

My whole thing is, how can someone say they gave him a shot of Demerol to saying they didn't give him anything. His story isn't adding up and he needs to tell the truth about what happened. Someone needs to start telling the truth and let us know just what happened to Michael...

June 30, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  26. Terry

I too would like to know why this doctor was giving CPR on a bed. Unsane.... also, I read that Michael collasped in the living room with his son who thought he was clowning around. Which is true? I think Dr. Murray has done more than he's saying. Hopefully it will all come out in the end. Also, why did the caller to 911 NOT tell them who the person in trouble was? Not that that should make a difference but he may still be with us. People need to leave the kids alone. quit discrediting Michael as their father. He is all they have ever known and loved. LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE. Michael will be dearly missed. Thanks Anderson for doing such a great job on covering this story.

June 30, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  27. SIRO

Fear is a powerful emotion ... Imagine being in the Doc's shoes and facing the death of someone in your charge. Now imagine that someone is MJackson.

June 30, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  28. Helena (Montreal)

I would like to say that I am sure that the doc did everything he could for MJ. No doctor would like to be in his shoes – he had to save the King and he could not let he die as he would have to live for the rest of his life the whole world thinking and would blame him for not doing enough or he killed MJ. We were not there so the world is assuming the bad. But what would be his motive...none. He is a doctor and we are not. So layoff the doctor and wait for the truth. Michael was on a path of self distruction...unfortunately he doubted the love his fans/family had for him so he needed to self medicate and the body can take so much abuse...MJ hope you are listening to the World we are say that we Loved Yesterday, Today and Forever Love you. You are the King of Pop and you are beautiful and thank you for the memories...H

June 30, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  29. shelita

1.Why didnt Dr Conrad have an AED since he is a cardiologist to MJ.
    2.Why did he wait 30 min to get help. All medical people know the 1st few min are critical to survival rate.
    3.Why did he leave MJ. CPR protocol says when you are alone,you take the victim with you. NEVER leave a patient in trouble.
    4.Did MJ collapse or was he found in bed(stories conflict)
    5.Why was CPR performed on a soft surface-not effective.

June 30, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  30. aviva

this whole thing is just weird. michael jackson as i had read, was upbeat and energetic when rehearsing for his concerts. just because his "doctor" conrad murray is cooperating in the investigation, doesn't mean he's not a suspect. people like these can cooperate, but unbeknownst, put on a different act insisting they didn't do anything wrong. he still and i believe very well is the main suspect. 1. why did it take him a long time to call 911? 2. why was he doing CPR on the bed when it should be done on the floor? 3. how could he not know what michael jackson's address was the whole time he was staying with him? and 4. as a cardiovascular physician, why didn't he have a defibrillator with him?

& now the nurse is saying as i watched on cnn, that he begged to be given sleeping pills? yea right...
    the investigators have forgotten to include a body language expert in their investgation with this doc. the slightest movement of a body part or even trying to dodge a question are proof that the person is lying.

June 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  31. Sharon

As an RN, my heart breaks...any one who's been in the medical profession for more than a year realizes that if the cardiologist had had the basic knowledge to call 911 there would have been Narcan and a defibrilator there within 5 minutes and MJs life would have likely been saved. Idiots! What a shame that this is turning out to be a very avoidable loss.

June 30, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  32. Rachelle (Michigan)

I immediately have to ask myself - WHY NOT CALL 911 THE VERY SECOND TROUBLE IS AT HAND? Doesn't everybody know a cell phone has a GPS location that is transmitted to 911 when you call 911 from a cell phone? It does not matter if the DOC knew the address; the police will get the location anyway.!!!

And why didn't the caller say "this is MJ's home and MJ is the one not breathing!!! Help! Help! Help!

I think it was negligent to not call 911 immediately!
    I think it was negligent to not call 911 immediately!
    MJ might have been saved if help has arrived while he still had a pulse!

June 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  33. Tracy

Yeah Anderson,
    I dont quite understanding why the doctor did not call 911 sooner. Were there no other people in the house, that someone could not have called the paramedics prior to the doctor not calling for 30 to 40 minutes of "beddy cpr"?

June 30, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  34. denise68netscape

If the physician perceived to do nothing wrong, why would he not proceed to accompany Michael Jackson to the hospital; he, instead, fled to the underwriting of lawyers while leaving his vehicle at Jackson's Rental Estate.

Furthermore, he should know, as a physician, he is the doctor responsible and on call while also knowing you cannot administer cardiio-pulmonary resusitation on a soft surface such as a bed as you cannot get through the breast plate.

I even know this while not perceiving to be a doctor.

June 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  35. Steph

OMG if this DR. Is a quack, well then he should be locked up for killing the king of POP. If he just called 911 automatically rather than tryin to play "Captin save him" then maybe my Mikey would of lived.. Miss u MJ <3

June 30, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  36. Sammy

Being a doctor specialized in , then why was he doing CPR on the "bed". Of all the medical profession, he should know CPR. He should have activated 911, pull Micheal down to the floor with the sheet, and start CPR.

June 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  37. flo

This doc, knows something , but is not talking. He may have done a mistake and is not owing up to it. Another question is how do you perform CPR on a bed ?. it makes no sense. His is a Cardiologist he should know better.

June 30, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  38. eleanor coombs, ga.

he was just a monitor. Though M.Jackson did it thru pills, it was his time to go.

June 30, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  39. Tosan

This doc has not done anything wrong. he gave CPR, thats all. As time goes on more facts would unfold. for now he is innocent until proven otherwise.

June 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  40. Kathleen

I would still like to know why this Doc is doing chest compressions on a man with a pulse – even a faint pulse. Rule of thumb is...with a pulse, you only need to rescue breath because compressions will interrupt the heart's natural rhythm, and possibly cause death. As his lawyer likes to remind us every chance he gets, "he's a cardiologist. He knows what needs to be done", even a cardiologist knows you only rescue breath in this situation. Does Dr. Gupta have any opinion on this?

Kathleen

June 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  41. Beverley

Hi Anderson, I love you. I am disappointed in you tonight because
    of the "slimy" coverage about MJ"s children. Please down go so far in the gutter.

I love you anyway.

June 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  42. Vicki, Canada

I know i wouldn't want him as my doctor. CPR on the bed?? Very suspicious.

June 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Karina

Is his death really that surprising? Don't blame the doctor entirely, Michael Jackson clearly had serious issues long before Dr. Conrad Murray even came into the picture.

June 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Kaye

Right now I believe this doc is the most hated man in the world. He should loose his license to practice.

June 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  45. sharon Akaiwa

I believe this doctor has something to hide, plus this new nurse must be contected to this doctor. Thank you Mr. Anderson

June 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. AMB1433

It's obvious Dr. Murray is a (quack), not board certified but a Cardiovasculor Dr., how does that work?

He gave him (milk of amnesia) then watched him sleep but he went into cardiac arrest. What doctor does not know you give CPR on a hard surface?

Come on, this man should be locked-up!

June 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Rose From Muscoy, Calif

Yesterday, I was with friends one of them slammed Michael Jackson. I told him that I thought Michael was a good person and everything that the news people were saying bad was wrong! Let the family alone, his three children don't need to hear such things. REMEMBER THEY JUST LOST THEIR ONLY FATHER. Give them the respect that you will give any children that lost one of their parents.

June 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Yes, way too vague! Keep digging please! Because you know it's not going to be put in plain view!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

June 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. arvie

the doctor said in a statement in the early hours that he was watching MJ sleep. Why?? Was it because he gave him the drug the nurse was talking about tonight???

June 30, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  50. Kim Hatchell

My question is WHY was CPR being performed on a bed? Everyone who is CPR certified, and I would hope so would a cardiologist, that chest compressions must be done on a hard flat surface.....so why hasn't anyone questioned 1. why was 911 not called when CPR was first started, 2. why didn't he put him on the floor 3. for the love of god, someone should tell people that knowing how to do CPR (the right way) can save a life. Obviously Mr Jackson didn't have a chance with CPR being performed by someone who had no idea what he was doing.

June 30, 2009 at 9:21 pm |