June 30th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Jackson's Nurse Speaks Out

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/michael.jackson/art.last.rehearsal.02.gi.jpg caption= "Michael Jackson, shown at a rehearsal June 23 - one of his last - was to perform in London in July."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We have breaking news on the death of Michael Jackson. A nurse who was treating him is speaking out tonight. She tells the Associated Press that Jackson desperately wanted a powerful IV anesthesia drugs months ago. The drug is Diprivan. She says she rejected his demands. Then just days before Jackson died she said she got a frantic call from Jackson's staff and she feared somehow Jackson got Diprivan or another drug to help him sleep. We'll have all the details.

There's also word tonight that Jackson's 2002 will has surfaced. Keep in mind others may exist. We'll talk about the legal challenges tied to Jackson's death with the family's team of lawyers.

And in other news, there's are new confessions from South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. He tells the AP he "crossed the line" with a handful of women other than his Argentine mistress over the years, but never had sex with them. He also describes his mistress as his soul mate. Though, he says he's trying to fall back in love with wife.

And, U.S. troops moving out of Iraqi cities ahead of a midnight deadline. Today for the first time in six year Iraqis, not Americans, were in charge of securing in their streets. It's all part of an agreement signed last year by former President George Bush calling for all U.S. forces to leave Iraq by the end of 2011. We'll look over the costs and gains of the war in Iraq.

Join us for these stories and more starting at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. MJ's Liberian Girl!!

RIP Michael Jackson...........you are the best that has ever done it. No one will top you. Your legacy will live on in the entire world. We celebrate your life and for all that you have given us. Thank You. I hope the circus ends soon.

Love
    Your Liberian Girl!!

July 1, 2009 at 2:31 am |
  2. Jennifer Radner

Anderson, I think it's important to speak out on statements from other people that Londell tells you not to talk about. As a news reporter, it's your right to tell the public the news.

Michael Jackson was a very important person, we the people want to know exactly what happened to him and we want to hear all the investigation and every aspect of what is said.

I would say, if Londell is trying to stop you from talking about what these other people are saying that involves Michael, don't have him on to talk if he is going to tell you how to run the news in public and maybe embarssed you. You are just doing your job.

July 1, 2009 at 2:31 am |
  3. Cindi

Anderson,

He's the father of those kids? Give me a break. Bottom line, he was black...no way does a black father have children with perfect blond hair, blue eyes. etc...some black genes would show up regardless who the mom is. Those kids don't even have dark skin tones...dream on!

July 1, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  4. Terea

Anderson,

Good job with returning L. McMillan to his place when he respectfully attacked your journalistic credibility. You haven't suggested how he should perform his job, he shouldn't suggest how you perform yours. Keep up the good work!

July 1, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  5. Jaime

Even in death, Michael Jackson cannot escape the scrutiny and magnifying glass of the media. The acronym "RIP" means absolutely nothing to them. Who could rest in peace with the media taking every opportunity to expose every skeleton in his closet, as if all they had none of their own. I'm not a big MJ fan or supporter but seeing this type of coverage to expose him rather than mourn his death is annoying at the very least. I think today, US troops were pulled out of Iraq, but hey that's not such a big deal.

July 1, 2009 at 2:27 am |
  6. TWITTER.COM/FEROW

Every one chould stay out of the Jackson family"s business give him at least a day with out talking about the bad things but talk about the good he did ROCK IN PEACE MIKE.

July 1, 2009 at 2:26 am |
  7. Lupe Garcia RN

She probably ment Ativan for anxiety &/or insomnia, no way can Ativan could be given without being monitored in a hospital settin.

July 1, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  8. Lawrence Ryans

I'm still neutral in the reponse regarding Mr. Joe Jackson beating Micheal Jackson. This may possibly be a jargon misunderstanding! If you ask me or my siblings'Did your parents beat you or did they give you a whooping" we would say of course! But what you understand as a spanking with a switch or a belt, we call a whooping or beating. That doesn't necessarily mean physical abuse with one's hand or an object! So find the definition of what the family is calling a beating!

July 1, 2009 at 2:23 am |
  9. Stacey

Michael Jackson can't be the father the kids are white no matter how much he bleach his skin it does not change your DNA

July 1, 2009 at 2:22 am |
  10. Temi, Los Angeles

Anderson, this really doesn't make any sense. Propofol does not get you high has a very sort half life and is sedative that has to be given in a very controlled setting usually given by anesthesiologists. I find it very hard to believe that anyone gave it to him outside of a hospital/doctors office. Its also not something he would remember receiving, that's why its used as anesthesia. I am a little concerned that you guys rans this story without fact-checking. This lady seems to be a crackpot

July 1, 2009 at 2:21 am |
  11. maureen

am so sadden by the death of micheal jackson that it makes me pay more attention to life and live each day as if it is the last

July 1, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  12. T.A

I love michael jackson!!! I love his passion, i love the fact that he puts his heart and soul into all that he did. He is THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER that has ever lived. Like smokey robinson said he is often imitated but never and [will never] be duplicated. I feel honored to have watched his work and i praise GOD that i lived in the time where His great creation also lived.....I pray that everything that will happen in the future happens to the best interest of everyone...Rest in Peace Michael. I will try in my lifetime to carry on Michael's legacy and pray that others will do the same!!!!

July 1, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  13. Eileen TenEyck

Michael Jackson fans are not judging a possible drug addition. They just want to know what caused such a sudden and shocking death. It's apparent that Michael's family also have unanswered questions about his death. When the smoke clears Michael Jackson will be remembered for his extraordinary talent, broken barriers and as the "King of Pop". But first, the whole world wants to make sure there was nobody responsible, in aiding in his death. As for any of Michael's indiscretion's, he had his trial and judgment on earth and now he will have his judgment day with his maker. His legacy will live in the end.

July 1, 2009 at 2:17 am |
  14. tori

Can't you get someone to come on that will say, "It isn't anyone else's business who the sperm and eggs came from. These are Michael's children, he has been the parent that they know, and leave it at that. Is there no discretion used.? Must the press dissect everything? Let the kids have their father.

July 1, 2009 at 2:17 am |
  15. jane MI

It's been so disturbing hearing certain info possibly related to Michael J's death–UNBELIEVABLE that he'd be given diprivan(anesth) at home, and even if he rec'd injectable Demerol at home (at the hosp we have to even have reversal agents like Narcan handy incase of adverse/resp depression-did they give him any of that if Demerol/narc used?)!...911 call mentionedCPR in progress BUT IN BED?...AND HOW LONG WAS THE WAIT FOR 911 CALL? (You use rescue breathing if pulse present, call for help/EMS right away...not wait so long regardless if your an MD/nurse...Perhaps using a defibrillator could have helped-best chance soon after cardiac arrest!)...And that nurse(skeptical and wonder if she's credible) TOTALLY violated the HIPPA privacy act on him announcing to the media-if anything she should be disclosing to the investigation if requested by the court

July 1, 2009 at 2:17 am |
  16. Myra

wow! it doesn't amaze me that the media is ripping MJ apart. The children know who their father is and now the media is questioning if he is or not. How terrible. These innocent little ones have just lost the person they call daddy and now they are being exposed to the question of if it really was MJ? the media is scarring the children for life. It is very frustrating to see all of the negative all over the media. I don't see a full days coverage about his humanitarianism and all that he has done for the world. Let the man rest in peace.......

July 1, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  17. Michael, New York

Something else that's bugging me. Why would a nurse practitioner not know of any physician this young man would be seeing on a regular basis? Who would she contact for further medical information concerning any of her patients to further treat further medical diagnosis's?...Is she practicing medicine or nursing...or both utilizing her title " Dr. "? Did she also weigh this man and claim that he was at a healthy weight for his height?...My goodness, I weighed 112 lbs. when I was a teenager! Somethings not right with this story.

July 1, 2009 at 2:14 am |
  18. Julie G

When will someone state the obvious, Michael Jackson suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder and PTSD due to abuse starting before age 6 ?? Mr. Jackson presented with sign and symptoms: difficulty in sleeping, altering between a young child, business savvy man, and performer and most likely others. Also, the addiction to sedatives might be due to the years coping with night terrors, flashbacks, hyperviligence at night and to escape the hell of DID and PTSD.
    Also, the plastic surgery was a way to change his born identity or perfect negative comments made by his abusive father about his looks. There are several additional presenting signs and symptoms that are screaming to all of us this genius suffered from DID/PTSD.
    How do I know?
    I was recently diagnosed after 35 years of not sleeping well, forgetting about decisions I made earlier and at times just acting like a little girl wanting to play and terrified to be alone. I escaped by becoming workaholic and a perfectionist and still having difficulties today maintaining relationships and altering between all different levels of business Julie and child Julie. I have covered this up all my life, not realizing what I was dealing with or covering up.
    This was all due to abuse by my father starting in preschool.

Julie
    Florida

July 1, 2009 at 2:14 am |
  19. Rose

I feel this nurse is lieing. I watched Larry King and she said she called a dr friend about the medicine MJ ask about and he told her what it was and how it was used and she took her PDR to MJ and explained how dangerous it was and was only given while in the hospital. She did not say that to you Anderson about calling her Dr friend for info on the drug. If you play the tape back of her interview with you you will know what I say is true and compare it to LK's interview.6-30-09.All this woman wants to do is make MJ look bad an so many others are doing the same things to him. It is a shame how people talk and judge others,if only the would look in the mirror. We have one judge,and that is God and we will all stand before Him one day.MJ is there before Him now,giving account for his entire life, may God have Mercy on Him and us to for the ways we do each other.

July 1, 2009 at 2:11 am |
  20. Anne

When is somebody going to investigate or point out the obvious: Michael Jackson was ALIVE, with a pulse, even warm, and probably WAS breathing albeit slowly because he was ASLEEP and sedated. He may have even had sleep apnea (common in people with narrowed nasal passages) — in which case a couple of rescue breaths would have been all he needed.

Guess what happens when you squash a heart with chest compressions, while that heart is trying to beat on its own: you interrupt the heart’s own rhythm and KILL the person. That’s why you NEVER do CPR on a person with a pulse.

Any cardiologist would know this.

Was the doctor — deeply in debt himself — hired by AEG to kill Michael Jackson so they could collect insurance? It would have been easy to sedate him and then kill him with “necessary” CPR WHILE HE HAD A PULSE, in his sleep. No signs of foul play, since any damage is attributed to the CPR. No EKG strips, no portable defibrillator record (even though the doctor was a cardiologist, for crying out loud), no evidence at all. Except drugs. But the drugs could easily have been injected into Michael while he was already sedated for sleep, to make it appear as an overdose.

Wake up people. Instead of assuming the worst about Michael Jackson, consider the probability that he was murdered.

July 1, 2009 at 2:05 am |
  21. Jennifer

There was a group of Chiropractic students from the U.S. down in Honduras this past week to help those down there less fortunate.
    I don't mean to downplay the unfortunate death of a 'pop icon,' but, Anderson, you used to actually report on news that was... intereresting, important, more... relevent.
    The last few days you have been more consumed by the Michael Jackson death than reporting on other news that actually affects those of us that, sorry, have other things going on.
    Someone that I love dearly was on this 'missionary' trip, as are many other Americans, spreading health and well-being to this new democracy. What they have done there changed lives.
    This 'coup' has the possibility to drastically change the countries to our south.
    Could you please take the time to give a little props to those who do good for others out of the kindness of their hearts, like you used to?
    thanks... still watching (once everyone stops talking about a man we should just let rest)

July 1, 2009 at 2:02 am |
  22. n.bashiir

Anderson, Your questions were very grilling type! good job! the nurse was clueless and naive she should be careful.

July 1, 2009 at 1:55 am |
  23. J.V.Hodgson

First I am fed up with the excessive coverage of MJ death.
    Second a system that lets a Nurse prescribe a "prescription drug" is nonsense, doctors ( MD's) only please!Millions of people take prescription sleeping drugsincluding the named drug.
    Third to say it will take weeks or months to determine the exact cause of death with today's medical and pathology science is nonsense..The inherent bit the media likes is that his death was not a heart attack, but induced by some drug someone prescribed.
    Fourth.That his last will and testament is already public information is appalling, Just what has that got to do with any body other than the"close" family??
    My god, let him RIP and wait for the autopsy results and stop the abhorrent speculation just for audience ratings at the families expense, it is offensive and unnecessary.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

July 1, 2009 at 1:55 am |
  24. linda

Anderson,

It was my understanding that CNN was a news chanel not a gossip chanel.

Your coverage of the tragic death of Michael Jackson has been full of gossip and stories that have not been proven such as this nurse that has come forward whose story does not even sound believable. You have admitted that you have not verified her story but still give her the 15 minutes of fame she is looking for. I thought real journalists investigated thier stories before reporting on them.
    I think that your story on who the real father of Michaels children is dispicable. The lawyers have said it does not matter, Michael is the legal father and yet you want to continue digging for dirt.
    I have decided to turn you and Larry King off. If I want gossip I will buy the National Enquirer. I had tuned into you for quality journalism but obviously that is not what I will get from CNN.
    Let Michael Jackson rest in peace. We do not want to hear the negative, we want to pay tribute to Michael Jackson the King of Pop.

July 1, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  25. HOPHOPGIRL

Hello , Mr Anderson. I feel that nurse Cherilyn Lee has gotten more credit than she was suppose to get. even though your (CNN NEWS) should know to get the facts before putting her on. I guess a little negative shouldn't hurt. but it does. To me and probably others if that nurse had cared enough. she would have found someone anyone to complaint to, to get over where MJ was being kept to check out his plead for help. if he told her one of his body side was cold the other hot he needed someone than. the person who contact her was also a vessel she could have use to get them to contact a family member. that is also what the attorney may have been trying to worn about. the facts can't hurt. but can we get it after his legacy has been spread. just to remind Mr Elvis Presley got his time. thank you for allowing me to speak. and keep up the good work. also sad about Ferrah F.

July 1, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  26. semeret

Can we please give the man the same respect that Elvis and JFK received....is he not worthy? or are you all...just IGNORANT!!!

July 1, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  27. Michael, New York

I'm just curious to know the answer to this one question. How does a man weighing one hundred twelve pounds pass a physical to go on tour for fifty shows at the age of 50? I mean, it wasn't like Mr.Jackson was a teenager. Someones scale is either off balance or this has got to be more cruel tabloid gossip. I guess money means everything to anyone these days. Shame on this society! Money can never bring you good health...especially after you have passed on.

July 1, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  28. R.N/Texas 17 years

The drug (diprivan/propofal) in question is classified as a general anesthetic and is administered by anesthesiologists. This drug can only be administered by a nurse in most states, with orders from a physician to patients who are intubated/recieving artificial respiratory support. If this nurse is telling the truth about her conversation with Michael as her patient, then she has just violated his HIPAA rights. His death does not give her the right to discuss his health care info. as her patient to anyone without a subpoena, especially not the media. One would not awaken from diprivan (general anesthesia) feeling as though they had received restful sleep. It is not that kind of sedative and is not administered in any setting for that purpose that i am aware of.

July 1, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  29. Connie

I think everyone should just stay out of Jackson family business and let Michael's achievements and time on this earth be recognized in the integrety he deserves and then we all move on.

July 1, 2009 at 1:28 am |
  30. brandy

I believe this so called nurse is looking for her 15 mintutes of fame. Why would she wait until now to tell her story? It very odd to me that if he had a personal doctor on hand that he would call this nurse for any kind of medcine. I feel so sorry for those babies they are going to be lost without him.

July 1, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  31. Anne Trinity Fl

Your coverage of Michael is not overkill. He has touched the world in so many ways. Not only with his music but with his charitable work. Please continue the coverage. It is IMPORTANT to so many people around the world. He has touched dearly at least 3 generations in my family alone. My 8 year old includes him and his family in our prayers nightly. Thank you Anderson for keeping us informed. Anyone that feels it is too much can simply move to another story.

July 1, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  32. Robin Scott

I find it oddly ironic that everyone is only NOW coming out with their various stories of having knowledge about MJ and drug use. Where were all of these people when he was alive? If they really were concerned for him then why not intervene while he was still alive? I think we should allow Michael the right to rest in peace and let the family bury their son. I think people fail to realize Michael Jackson was a human being, who had real problems. Unfortunately in combating problems real people tend to turn to drugs as a band-aid. MJ loved his fans, he loved the public and we made him who he was and I feel we deserve the right to know what happened to him. Whether his death was attributed to drug issues or autoimmune issues, we have invested our time and money into building this man's career and the public has the right to know what happened to him.

July 1, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  33. Michelle

Gilbert, with all due respect, you're wrong and the numbers show it. Michael Jackson has multitudes of awards and set so many records in music sales. He has had fans in the millions since his earliest days with Motown, and those fans have never deserted him. If you saw any clips of his trial in 2005, he had thousands of fans outside the courtroom every day. So yes, millions of people cared.

July 1, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  34. R.M

Re track from misprint : the biological parents is NOT important. Let a lot of this non sense things be.

July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  35. Vanessa

Hi, I am from South Texas, this is the FIRST TIme to write:

I am in complete shock after several days of M. Jackson's death, he is unable to rest in peace. Another, thing, Why is the Mother and Father now interested in taking care of the children? Where were they, when M. Jackson was alive?

All M. Jackson wanted was to be in peace, and it seems that even after his death, He can't even have that. I think that: After all those years He was a performer, and had his life in the show, can't we as a society let him rest in peace.

July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  36. jen c

my mentally challenged son has had diprivan many times for procedures and testing. it was a very benefical for him. putting him to a sleep like state instantaniously and yet able to wake him when it was withdrawn immediately. why mj would need this to sleep seems crazy to me..

July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  37. Lynette

Dipravan is a very strong anesthetic. When injected into the vein it causes a sever burnig and hot sensation all up the arm and into the chest. If he had tried it, this would be why his staffer told her he was hot on one side then cold on the other. He may have asked his doctor to stay over to monitor him after his doctor administered it.

I've administered this drug since it was first develped, and I have given anesthesia for over 42 years. This women's story makes a lot of sense.

If, it was found on autopsy in his blood it would account for why the police went back to look for drugs after the autopsies were done. It's not a drug looked for commonly,

Lynette

July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  38. Edward Agyare

After listening to the nurse speak about the drugs michael had requested, I see that michael was in pain. with no one to turn to, he felt alone. people need to realize that when it comes to becoming a celebrity, your life is no longer yours. not being able to see his family made michael sad. it hurts to see the king of pop go so soon. you will be missed dearly... may you rest in peace.. God bless you

July 1, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  39. Michelle

If Michael Jackson had insomnia as some have suggested, a lot of what's being reported in the news makes sense. I think it's difficult to understand how devastating insomnia can be unless you've suffered from it. As we saw in the case of Heath Ledger, insomnia can sometimes drive people to desperate lengths to get good rest. It's such an easy thing to make mistakes with drugs and their dosages in an effort just to sleep.

July 1, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  40. Kathleen

Has ANYBODY heard of Patient Confidentiality???

July 1, 2009 at 1:15 am |
  41. R.M

I truly believe all of who is the children real parents are important , if you adopt a child that is your child. Think of the children. All the bad slander to his name is nothing to bring up either. I been a huge fan all these years & not changing my mind. But don't you think it caused him depression, someone so sweet & kind. He loved children. Maybe his family would like to keep somethings private. Farrah Fauwcet is put to rest. Some things are not for the public to know. He is dead lets remember his legacy & only that nothing else is important. You are in the public do you want all your personal life public.

July 1, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  42. Brenda

If this registered nurse is telling the truth and MJ did actually have a doctor administer this drug I would be more inclined to believe that he was given it for his plastic surgery not to help him sleep in his home.

July 1, 2009 at 1:10 am |
  43. Kim Barnes

Sorry CNN this crap about the July 4th weekend, how much longer to do you think this family should wait before burying Michael.

If at all possible, please get this message to the Jackson's Family. They DO NOT owe American anything.

This is your son, brother, father, uncle and friend. I think that you should have your family memorial, bury him and try to find closure for the healing of yourselves and his children.

You don't need to have a public viewing and I truly think that anyone who really did appreciate, admire and loved him even though they did not know him will always do so in their heart and mind. Anyone who doesn't understand this is simply sad and inconsiderate.

God Bless and Thank you.

July 1, 2009 at 1:04 am |
  44. kkial

Lots of MJ coverage..But it takes our minds off the scary political scene for a while.............

July 1, 2009 at 1:03 am |
  45. Peg

The governor has obviously had a nervous breakdown. Someone needs to politely lead him off stage because he clearly is not responsible for what comes out of his mouth, therefore he probably has no idea whatever what is really in his heart. He needs some serious mental attention.

July 1, 2009 at 1:00 am |
  46. Sarah

Michael does not need the attention he's having now. This is far too late. He needed this at the lowest point in his life when people were judging and throwing mud at him. Where were all the celebreties? may God bless his fans who always believed in Michael and stuck with him through thick and thin. His love and generosity will be his childrens wealth.

July 1, 2009 at 12:47 am |
  47. dottie

that ,,,,,,netherland ranch...... will pay..."';;; off debts...//////
    and bring in money ,,,, for that little town.......and that...
    family../////// ,,,, the jacksons family.

July 1, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  48. Lynn

Michael Jacksons is the greatest and he always will be without a doubt, i love him and all that he has accomplished in his long career, and as for elvis presley, please do not a diamond to a to a grain of sand!

July 1, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  49. Barbara

I love your coverage on Michael Jackson we are all watching, you guys are the real deal. CNN

July 1, 2009 at 12:09 am |
  50. Barbara

Michael is a huge influence globally not just in the United States. Everyone is coming out with a story about the drugs he was using. They should have done that while he was alive, Now that he is dead they want to help.

July 1, 2009 at 12:06 am |