June 30th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Jackson's Nurse Speaks Out

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/michael.jackson/art.last.rehearsal.02.gi.jpg caption= "Michael Jackson, shown at a rehearsal June 23 - one of his last - was to perform in London in July."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We have breaking news on the death of Michael Jackson. A nurse who was treating him is speaking out tonight. She tells the Associated Press that Jackson desperately wanted a powerful IV anesthesia drugs months ago. The drug is Diprivan. She says she rejected his demands. Then just days before Jackson died she said she got a frantic call from Jackson's staff and she feared somehow Jackson got Diprivan or another drug to help him sleep. We'll have all the details.

There's also word tonight that Jackson's 2002 will has surfaced. Keep in mind others may exist. We'll talk about the legal challenges tied to Jackson's death with the family's team of lawyers.

And in other news, there's are new confessions from South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. He tells the AP he "crossed the line" with a handful of women other than his Argentine mistress over the years, but never had sex with them. He also describes his mistress as his soul mate. Though, he says he's trying to fall back in love with wife.

And, U.S. troops moving out of Iraqi cities ahead of a midnight deadline. Today for the first time in six year Iraqis, not Americans, were in charge of securing in their streets. It's all part of an agreement signed last year by former President George Bush calling for all U.S. forces to leave Iraq by the end of 2011. We'll look over the costs and gains of the war in Iraq.

Join us for these stories and more starting at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Carolyn Danley

Governor Mark Sanford's story is not a love story, it is a lust story.

July 1, 2009 at 12:05 am |
  2. karie patching

What a perfect arena to honor Michael Jackon's memory then to have every person that visits Michael's memorial at the Neverland Ranch to "donate" $1.00. That money can then be used in a way that would honor his memory in a positive way and benifit those in need!!

July 1, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  3. Michelle Thomas

What music and creating did for Michael, is what Michael did for me.
    The comfort I feel when I think of him, hear him, see him, will always be with me. I just wish he was alive to see all this adoration for him. This is bigger then Elvis. xoxo I love you Michael.

July 1, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  4. Lucien Gougway

Why it is so important to know the biological father of Jackson’s kids
    The sperm donor identity is supposed to be confidential (based on the law), why and how that was disclosed to the public after Jackson’s death.
    I really think you are hurting the kids and they will be so confused and not know what to believe at this stage of their young life

July 1, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  5. broker

Go CNN, great job. Michael was the best ever. I'm deeply saddened.

July 1, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  6. Inez

I agree with Jackson's lawyer. I trust your reporting, however, it would be great to hear you of all reporters share more positive things about Michael's career. I was shocked you allowed this woman to speak on your show. It was clear her story made no sense. Don't believe the hype.

June 30, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  7. lateef ojoamoo

Hi my name is lateef ojoamoo and i am 12 year old.mj is my favorite pop star.i love him and i will really miss him

June 30, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  8. dottie

Dem: he has cover national headlines and international headlines.
    he is also keeping it real.by talking about the issues overall,
    but keep it's coming about michael jackson, l very interesting
    what really happen to him. l believe he was given painkiller .and sleeping prescription, by those people that was around him
    and that is what killed him.yeah, they told him that the
    medication were safe and he believe them,those quacks
    in medical professorial,so call doctors,that is what they do
    practice medicine,and they dont care whether it's hurt,harm
    or killed you ,they're supposed to make you better.but instead mixing, dangerous medicine with others,with all kind of side effect invovled.
    why did the quacks adminster this kind of dangerous medicines
    when all time telling patients it's safe.
    where is ethic in medical fields.
    lock their a,,,sss up,,,
    get them out of these celebrity homes.
    l luv those guy's those jacksons brothers.and family.

June 30, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  9. Michelle Thomas

I think this nurse should have done more to help. He called for Gods sake to say he had problems with feeling hot and cold. God how I wish I was there to help. As far as I am concerned, anybody who knew that Michael felt sick like that should have stepped up to help him. whoever knew was involved. Dr Murray getting 150,000/mnth? Of course he must had administered this Deprivan or something similar. This sickens my heart. I feel like throwing up all day long. I feel a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach. Michael was my comfort, and now the Lord took him from me, took him from the world. Michael, now you can rest in peace. I will keep watching for the clouds to moonwalk. I did see you look down from them today, and it brought a little smile to my face.

June 30, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  10. Ifeyinwa

Your coverage of Micheal Jackson's death has been great, it's actually made feel like he's still alive. It's not an OVERKILL at all.....

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  11. Jeanine Dunn

Keep up the good work on the investigation of Michael Jackson's death. His untimely death is so very heavy on our hearts.

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  12. janessaa rodriguez

man i cant beliove this whoole mj stufff its hella shocking and sad.. mj will forever live in our hearts and minds,...
    may mj rest in peace..
    xoxo

June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  13. ann

The nurse is just trying to get her 15 minutes of "shame."Let Michael rest in peace.

June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  14. Mary

Our Daughter just graduated high school and was not certain about
    what her higher studies would be until Michael's death.
    She watches 360 and realizes that these boutique doctors need to be held accountable.
    Thank you Anderson for your reporting, our daughter now knows for certain that she wants to go to Law School and one prosecute these
    "drug pushers with a medical license" as she put it!

June 30, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  15. Sarah

I love Micheal Jackson very very much. I don't know what of these stories is true or not. I don't know if he was addicted to prescription drugs or if he was not. I do not know if this Doctor that was by his side was somehow responsible for his death or not. Here's what I know, Micheal Jackson was a phenominal amazing entertainer. He brought joy and laughter with every song and every performance. Every time we would here a Micheal Jackson song on the radio, we would smile and dance, at our desks, in our rooms, in our cars. I never had the pleasure of meeting him or seeing him in concert but I enjoyed and continue to enjoy his music. I love him very very much, and I will miss him. Now my prayers are for his family...I pray that God would comfort them and heal them now in this time of grief. I know that God is able to do it, His word says he is the God of all comfort....and I pray that Rodney Jerkins, one of the producers that worked with him on "YouRock my World" was bold enough to share his faith with Micheal Jackson. I also pray that God would reveal himself in a unique way to his family now that they need Him (God) more than ever. I love Micheal Jackson and he will live forever in my heart. I thank the Lord for Micheal's music....and I pray for complete healing and restoration for his family in the name of Jesus.
    King of Pop, Micheal Jackson, someone's brother, someone's son, someone's uncle, someone's father.....we love him, we miss him.
    May he rest in peace.
    Sarah Rios

June 30, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Joyce

Can't everyone wait until Michael Jackson's body has been put in its resting place before all the "paperwork" and "problems" are settled. Michael Jackson deserves that "respect" and certainly the "headlines" will still be there and his funeral. I can understand the situation of the children being settled asap and because Ms Jackson, Michael's mother, in my opinion, should have custody of the children. I am 61 years old and I would want to see my grandchildren taken care of before anything else. Please don't "rake" Michael Jackson over the coals until he has been given the "focus" and "honor" and "dignity" and time to meet his maker. GOD BLESS YOU Michael, you and your family have given me years and years of smiles and joy. My old joints still move to your music.

June 30, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  17. Shavon

Nurse Lee is violating Michael's privacy. HIPPA!!!!???? What happened to respecting the patient nurse relationship?

June 30, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  18. Didi

The coverage is overkill, but if it helps begin a discussion in the country about over medication I'm all for it. I went to the pharmacy tonight and overheard a woman ask for at least four, maybe five different medications. That's ridiculous. I have a relative taking 12 different prescriptions for a variety of things. The sad thing it's not just Michael. We have a major problem in this country with over the counter and prescription drugs and it seems to me that Michael truly suffered. What a tragic story. It's pitiful.

June 30, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  19. Jane S.

The nurse that spoke out has a credible report. Anderson asks "why did MJ call her after not seeing her for X months?" The answer is simple: MJ trusted her advice, but ignored it, got another doctor who gave him the RX he wanted, while MJ overrode the nurse's warnings. When the tragic symptoms showed up, MJ panicked and said CALL HER. How many people make mistakes only to go back to a trusted friend who warned them in the first place with hopes of making sense of the problem and getting help? I'm sure he hoped she could somehow help him.

June 30, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  20. Christine Smith

Diprivan is indeed a "powerfull" anesthetic and if used improperly could cause death from respiratory failure. Individuals who receive this drug for medical reasons are often intubated and on ventilators.

June 30, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  21. linda page

i think micheal is and was a great kid and man in his life i don't beleave that he did any thing wrong to a child or kid they just wanted his money and it was alot of stress on him . he was kind wonderful preason you could ever meet or see on tv . just because he wanted to live like a child there's nothing wrong with that i am 50 years old to it like some time i do and some times i dont feel like a kid or child . he have alot of love inside of him because it came out in his song for years like we are the world . please don't judge him only god can do that on judgement day micheal love peace faith hope and joy and grace

June 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  22. Carolyn Danley

What a love story, that Michael Jackson would have these kids whether they are his biological children or not, knowing and leaving the majority or his estate to them, these children should know that they are so blessed to know that they were so loved. There are so many children today who have parents who do not want them, love them. or have any ideal as to how they will provide for them, and it did not matter if they were black or white

June 30, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  23. Araina

Hello, I am also a nurse and have worked in various settings including the ER and acute settings. there is no way any doctor would write a presription for this drug and there is no pharmacy that would fill it. because it would destroy their practice.

this nurse is speaking out of term first she is violating his privacy rights. It is called HIPPA and she could be sued for it. Now her code of ethics is to report unlawful dispense of medication, and the use of it. why didn't she go to the police. and why would he call her if she can not write a prescription for him when he has a doctor on hand that can? the doctor sure should have better sense than to give him this drug outside of acute setting it would kill him. I also don't understand Anderson is the time lapse of the 911 call. every medical professional knows upon entering a distress setting the first reponse is to call for help and then start CPR, why would he wait or not use his cell phone, better yet what is his point of being there if he didn't have the necessary things to helpl him? which one would be a phone. all these things anderson is just common sense and you do not need a degree of any kind. next if your going to have people on your show please ask them not to be stupid. or at least chose someone that makes sense these rumors are going way into overload, report the truth. Please. do you understand how much we love and respect this man and his family. what it is doing is making us look at your new report and learn the unfair and unjust treatment you provide. terrible anderson terrible. this is not a good thing. MJ is apart of my childhood and will always be apart of my thoughts and prayers. This is sad.
    My prayers are with his mother, I can't begin to know what it feels like to loose a child, and His father is well anderson he just is something else I guess the correct word is a busnessman only
    RIP MJ
    Araina

June 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  24. Lisa Helvey

I think it is so sad to hear the story from the nurse. She seems very honest, and I can imagine that Michael would not wanted to have gone to the hospital that close to his tour, for fear that the tour would get canceled. That is not right thinking, but according to many who have commented on him, the Rabbi and Deepak, Michael cared greatly what his fans thought. He cared too much, and I think it is a lesson to all of us to not care too much about what anyone else thinks. It is tragic to hear that he suffered so much with so little sleep, etc. Sometimes, doctors don't listen truly to what a patient is saying, and I am so saddened by this news. Michael had a huge heart, and I only wish some close to him could have done more to get him help.

June 30, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  25. David

I would have to say that Atty Londell McMillan is wrong. Sure MJ is a great talent. But he is not a saint. Americans have a bad habit of making icons of everything that apeals to us. Wake up! Grow up! The cartoon world is over! America is in trouble and we shouldn't waste our time on a drug addict child molester. MJ's life is over, celebrate his memory and lets try to get America back together. My final thoughts... MJ should have seen a psyciatrist.

June 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  26. Danesh

AC,
    As a psychiatrist specializing in addiction, I treat health care professionals & have treated patients abusing Diprivan- a dangerous drug. The Diprivan part of the MJ story is not unbelievable. Sophisticated drug users like Diprivan for the instant calmness and coma-like state that it creates.

Great show!

June 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  27. La Quenta

I'm hoping that MJ will be remembered for the great artist that he was.
    It saddens me to see how his death has turned into a circus.

June 30, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  28. emy

Diprivan (Propofol) is a short acting sedation. Once it is turned off or not being given any more as a sedative the patient wakes up with an amnesia affect.

June 30, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  29. New Orleans

Anderson,
    Don't stop reporting the Michael saga...
    I need closure. His fans need to know if Michael
    was murdered or accidentally killed.
    Dr. Murray knows more than he cares say.
    His life and his medical practice are at stakes and he is not going to admit
    to any fault. That is why he left the hospital and did not call anyone for hours, he had to think of what to do and call his contacts to retain a lawyer. He wasted no time retaining a lawyer. Why did he not use his cell?
    Why did he not call the paramedics as soon as he found Michael with his faint pulse. He being a Dr. should know better than anyone else
    that Michael needed to be in the hospital. How ill was Michael
    after that last rehersal? He should have been brought to the hospital.
    I feel very strongly that Dr. Murray gave him a drug to sleep and relax him, as I am certain Michael was wired up after that intense rehersal
    and needed something to relax and to sleep. If Michael was in pain after that practice, Murray also gave him some pain med. as well.
    Perhaps the combonation of those three meds. caused his respiratory arrest and faint pulse. A Cardiologist would know this without a doubt,
    knowing what drugs he gave Michael. knowing he had to go in and check on Michael all night long, the faint pulse issue should have been enough. I feel that Dr. Murray knew EXACTLY what he was doing and has a stake in the insurance money.
    Rest in Peace Michael Joseph Jackson...

June 30, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  30. MP Zott

Please request the entire media to lay-off the children. TMZ is pusing to determine who are the actual parents. ETOnline decides to put one of the children's birth certificate on the internet. Please request the Jackson family or some judge to tell the media to lay off the children. They did not want what happened and now even they are being victimized by the media at a very terrible moment in their lives. Media should have learned by now of the partial role that they played in Michael's life. The media should stop there. The children's personal data should not be plastered on the media and the internet. Let the family and all parties concerned sort these things out for themselves. Thank you. – MP Zott

June 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  31. Susan Warren

Did that creepy attorney of Jacksons just threaten you???? sure sounded like it.....Get him off your show......he is only interested in damage control and a mouth piece.....keep up the good work Anderson....and dont let the bullys like him get you down!!!

June 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  32. Nicole

I firmly disagree that your coverage is overkill. I love MJ and want to know what is happening. I am devastated over his death. I am nt a person that gets caught up in celebreties either. I think Michael deserves the respect he should have recieved in life.

June 30, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  33. Jo

The bottom line is, Michael died too early and it obviously is drug-related. It is a sad situation, but it's important to expose the nature of his death and continue to bring awareness to the dangers of the abuse of prescription drugs. I appreciate your extensive coverage on someone who gave so much of himself and truly made a global difference in the lives of millions through his hurting but generous- giving heart of gold. His legacy will live on forever!

June 30, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  34. Pilar Carreon

Hi Anderson,Erica and 360 Team!!!
    It is great to see you in Los Angeles and sort news. I love your news report and how you dissect each of them.
    I would want to see you in person one day.
    Michael is lucky to have a loving family esp his Mom.My prayers goes to all of them.

Pilar Carreon

June 30, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  35. Raul

The Jackson's need better representation Lionel is incompetent. Great job Anderson we want as much info. as possible.

June 30, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  36. Carrie

Think about the children. They saw Michael as their dad and he acted as their dad everyday of their lives. We shouldn't be party to the rumors and innuendo. He was and always be their dad.

June 30, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  37. Yudelis

If Michael's father used to beat and abused him verbally,can you imagine what he can do do to his kids.
    I wouldn't let the kids be near that monster.
    Katherine Michael loved you so much that you are the only one he trusted to care of his children may God give all the strenght you need
    in this time of sadness.
    Be strong for those kids,they need you.
    God bless you

June 30, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  38. Winifred

All the pieces fit. Why was this Doctor there? To watch him sleep, right? I mean this cardiologist was there for a "sleep over" ?
    He administered the drug and observed him. He took a gamble and we all lost.
    The Dr. should be responsible.

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  39. Gilbert

Up until his death, no one cared about this man who slept with children in his bed. The fact is that, each time his name was mentioned in the news, it was always something disturbing...whether it was dangling a baby from a porch or his multiple surgeries or his antics. Now, suddenly, he is this beloved, larger than life superhero...when all along he was just a freak.. albeit, a very rich, famous freak. It is baffling how trivial the mass media can be.

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  40. Ed Murphy

Let the poor guy go-move on to some real news-give us 20 minutes when everything gets figured out and let that be the end of it. Quit beating the hell out of it, as you do anytime there is a Katrina, Clinton, Sandford, Iran election or sadly Jackson

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  41. Sheree

After listening to the nurse speak of Michael's lack of sleep...I truly feel for him. He was 50. Men have hormone changes like women do. The first thing I experienced when going through menopause was not being able to sleep. After going to an "anti-aging" doctor, I know the sleep depravation came from hormone changes.

I can appreciate his need for drugs to sleep. Ask any woman post menopause...we don't sleep without a sleep aid.

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  42. Tiffany

Can Dr. Gupta explain why propofol is not scheduled under the Controlled Substances Act? I find it very curious that something this potent is not controlled tightly by the DEA. Although you can usually only find it in a hospital or outpatient surgery center, there are no quotas for it and its use can't be tracked. This means that a dermatologist (like MJ had) could obtain this for outpatient procedures, but without the ability to track what he's actually used it for (and in what quantity), he could've given this to MJ at his own discretion with little chance of being found out.

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  43. April Williamson

I myself think that the nurse and some of the other people are coming out now because Michael is not here to defend himself. As for the children Michael has had them since day one and he is really been the only parent that they know and they don't need to be pulled from here and there they need to stay where they are comfortable and with people they know and that love them.

June 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  44. Kim

People-what is important now is that we remember we remember Michael for the great person/artist he was and for all of us that he touched in a positive manner! Joe Jackson needs to "shut it" he was not a dad when he was alive and most people would rather spit on him then to look and/or listen to his crap. The children need love and sounds like Katherine is a loving ideal person to get them through this. God bless Michael and please let him rest in peace. For the love-ughhh!!!!

June 30, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  45. 2for89

R.I.P. MICHAEL JACKSON All the medicine in his system is what probably killed him

June 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  46. Michelle Finney

Hello again Mr. cooper
    I just want to say that now after all this time she speakes out? why ? why now if she thought so much of her friendship or her what ever she did for Michael jackson she makes me wonder being in the nursingfield myself as a nurse you can NOT just give medication with out a doctors order so who is the doctor she was working under??

June 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  47. Naheed

I bet Diprivan was given to him by the dermatologist. They probably used this drug during a cosmetic surgery/ procedure.

June 30, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  48. elaine bihnkley

Depak chopra stated that Michael Jackson had an autoimmune disease, and the symptoms of hot and cold are consistent with this.

June 30, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  49. Demarcus

Your coverage of the Michael Jackson death investigation is OVERKILL!!! I love MJ as much as the next person, but I there are other things (arguably more important things) going on in the United States and around the world!

June 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  50. Rachel Solero

This feeling "HOT" and "COLD" I have experienced before with Lupus. It is caused by the neuropothies occurring within the nervous system.

June 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm |