June 30th, 2009

Afternoon Buzz: The investigation continues

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/26/michael.jackson.spotlight/art.mj.crowd.gi.jpg caption="Michael Jackson waves to a crowd of fans and photographers in New York's Times Square."]

Eliza Browning
AC360° Associate Producer

Anderson is in Los Angeles today, where he’ll be looking into a number of developments in the Michael Jackson case.

A will drafted by Michael Jackson in 2002 divides his estate among his mother, three children and charities. What exactly is in his will and who are the executors? More answers tonight.

We’ll have more information on the medical investigation too. Last night his trainer told us he thought Jackson was in great shape – better than he’d seen him in 15 years. How could he be rehearsing one day and be so near death the next?

LAPD detectives are interviewing an unknown number of doctors who treated or prescribed medication to Michael Jackson as they continue their probe into the pop star’s death. Many have speculated that Jackson may have been on a number of prescription drugs. Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be on to tell us more about ‘celebrity doctors’ - private practitioners who prescribe meds to the stars. What kind of regulation is in place to determine just how many prescriptions someone can have?

And who is Joe Jackson? So much is being said about his influence on Michael’s life and his role in his son’s stardom and breakdown. So what is his background? We continue to see him all over the place, making some bizarre comments about his son. Is there a rift with the rest of the family? Randi Kaye is out in LA and will bring us more on the patriarch of the Jackson family tonight.

And today was the deadline for American troops to leave Iraqi towns and cities. Iraqis marked the deadline with celebrations and street festivals, but there are still fears of renewed violence.

Michael Ware is in Baghdad and will tell us exactly how the arrangement is supposed to work and what role U.S. forces still will play in the country.

This handover comes as a new CNN poll confirms that nearly three-quarters of all Americans support the plan to withdraw most U.S. combat troops from Iraqi cities and towns and wouldn’t support a move to send U.S. troops back if the violence increases.

A Yemeni airliner carrying more than 150 people from Yemen to the island of Comoros crashed into the Indian Ocean early today. One toddler has been recovered alive. At first, Comoros officials said there were no signs of survivors, but then the rescuers found the young child. How did that happen? We’ll bring you all the details tonight.

Filed under: Eliza Browning • The Buzz
  1. Bruce Smith

What would happen if the parents got custody and the father treated the kids anywhere close to the way he treated Michael when he was a kid????? Has anybody thought of this.

July 1, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  2. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, I'm deeply sadden by all the media gossip regarding Michael Jackson; I don't know why I continue to watch your news channel. Yesterday all I heard was Michael Jackson may not be the biological father of his children. Do any of you ever stop and think about how this could affect his children? It’s not enough that they lost their precious father, a father who just adored them. Anything to get a story it doesn't matter who it hurts lets just get the story out. I read your book Dispatches from the edge. I remember how sad I felt for you and your mother when you talked about your brothers death and how the media had covered the story. I personally never cared about Michael Jackson's personal life; I grew up listening to the Jackson 5, then Michael’s music. I remember being angry when I heard about the accusations of the child molestations charges that were brought against him. I knew in my heart that he could never hurt any child. There will never be another entertainer like Michael Jackson. May God bless him; he is in a better place. Now he doesn't have to hear all of the ugly things the media is saying about him.

July 1, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  3. patsetter

Joe Jackson should not be involved in his son’s affairs, if you think Michael record keeping is in question, try letting Joe Jackson control the information to the public. I am glad his mother is involved. Michael let the public's curiosity invade his personal life; he truly was the puppet master. His kids do not deserve this attention. Their future is already challenged and we as curiosity seeker owe Michael their privacy.

Here is a question, if Michael’s doctor was not hired or "on staff", do you think Michael would still be alive. Sad to say I believe we will find out soon his involvement contributed in some way, maybe unknowingly, to Michael death

July 1, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  4. linda m

we loved him ,but please enough already..does it have to be 24 /7 I am so sick of Reverand Al Sharpten/Joe Jackson and the repeated coverage..why are theses children all of a sudden up for grabs to a 'REAL father? where was this person while they were being raised by Micheal? joe jackson is a joke how dare he promote himself at this time.the family must be so embarrased by his actions in light of his son still waiting to be buried...we do " NOT" love joe jackson as he so boldly stated..we love Micheal.....I hope he finally gets some peace from this man's greed.............god bless the family..

July 1, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  5. Christine

I am and will forever be a huge fan of Michael Jackson and it hurts to hear all these rumors about his death. I feel as though they're just saying it was a drug overdose because that is a popular death amoungst the stars. I really just can not believe that soo many people are trying to take his kids away from where they rightfully belong with their grandmother all because of the money that surrounds them. It really just isn't right for people to do this to him. He did soo much for us; he changed the music industry forever, he crossed a lot of racial barriers, and he wasn't in it for the fame and fortune, but to tell a story to everyone. Every song of his tells us a little about him and for people to just say rude and crude things, make jokes about him, and just flat out disrespect him just isn't right. It's not fair to him. He didn't judge us, so why are soo many people judging him? He did so much for AIDS Charities and Hunger Charities as well. I wish that people would leave him alone. He didn't do anything to us, so why are we turning things to make him the bad guy? It's not fair or right and all were taught better. I've always said that I don't care about the rumors that surround him, I love his music through and through. I really hope that people gain humainity again and soon, so they change all that they'v e done wrong to Michael Jackson. The jokes are just cruel, NO ONE would say those things about you...so why are YOU saying them about MICHAEL JACKSON? I hope that one day soon MICHAEL JACKSON will TRULY be able to REST IN PEACE without the anything. No rumors, no lies, no accusations, no nothing. Just the way he should be able to rest finally after 35 years off

June 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Ryan

I find it sad in todays society that while millions around the World starve or live in poverty or so forth and so on that we can't let a man rest. I do not deny in any fassion that he was probably the single most famous entertainer in our time. i grew up listening to his music and im my best effort tried to dance like him while no one watched. He will be missed but lets let him rest. We cannot move forward if we continue to stare in the rear view mirror. May god bless his soul and touch his families heart.

June 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Mike

Anderson, you've distinguished yourself as a competent journalist. So how can you look us straight in the face and announce "breaking news" with each trite and sordid detail surrounding Michael Jackson's demise. Please, let us all rest.

June 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Diane

I understand there was a very sad plane crash. .....that the US troops left or started to leave Iraq, and so I would like to know why you are still talking about Michael Jackson. This is ridiculous. Everyone is NOT interested. Please get back to the news that counts.

June 30, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  9. Scott

While I don't agrees with Lynette's characterization of CNN worshiping the president, I do agree with her and Tammy above that there is way too much MJ coverage.

CNN you are not doing your viewers a service by continuing to hype the MJ story. When there is something new to report, ok. But this continuous cycle and sending AC to LA as if it is a leading story every night....

C'mon - we deserve better!!!

June 30, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  10. Jan

Why do dead celebrities garner more CNN airtime than live celebrities? MJ died. His kids are being cared for by his family. Until there is a difinitive case of death, everything else is speculation. Let this story RIP.

June 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

Interesting that Michael Jackson did not leave anything to his father – I think that speaks volumes right there.

So they found a toddler alive from the Yemen air crash....how I wonder did that child survive and are there any other passengers out there alive? That is just so amazing. I'm really looking forward to this story.

June 30, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  12. dani

This story is not just about Michael Jackson.... it is about justice. That doctor killed him and if LA has anything to say about it, the DOC will walk. I mean come on. The guy admits that it was 30 minutes before a 911 call was made (most people do not wait 30 seconds). The guy's excuse as to why he did not use his own phone to make the call is that he did not know the address. Well, if the guy had so little clue where he was, I wonder how he got there. Then, there is the call. It is more nervous then devastated and mj's name is never mentioned. Is that because they did not want the ambulance to hurry or because they knew they had waited just long enough to make sure mj would never be revived. And, the use of the word pumping. Who calls CPR pumping? Maybe the caller let the cat out of the bag that the doc was not doing CPR at all and was instead pumping his stomach to remove murderous drugs. Oh, and I love that the DOC does not know where CPR is performed. He says he kept a pulse until EMS arrive but they say there was no pulse just a dead king. Seriously, this is murder and maybe the concert company which is now looking into tour insurance and selling anything and everything they have of rehearsal is in on it. I hope there is justice for Micheal. His music will live and his genius. Perhaps more importantly though, we should all remember him by fashioning ourselves to be a little more like him... Kind, generous, and loving to everyone. Also, let us not forget to remember that we should not judge people so quickly as we may have if we believed everything media said about him over the years (and which his friends are now proving is absolutely false). My deepest regards to the family and all his fans. Look at the rehersal pics and see how happy he looked because that at least makes me think he had some happiness lately.

June 30, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  13. Theresa, Des Moines, IA

I'm sick of hearing about all things Michael Jackson. Please try to put some real news in the show tonight. When are you going to air the interview with the Iranian-American journalist? There are so many more relevant and importan things to cover.

June 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  14. Lynette

Can you stop with the coverage already and cover cap and trade?

June 30, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  15. Lynette

I am tired of all this attention to Michal Jackson, Tell us about Cap and trade, Talk about Troops coming home,truely there are more imporant issues, where are the journalist, where are the questions for our goverment? why is no one minding the store? I use to watch CNN religiously now feel like you worship the president and can't be trusted. Some one ask a tough question of the Prez for goodnezz sakes.Follow up on the investigation into Christ Dodd, The Democrats have alot of power, how are they using it, CNN how are you helping them? History will judge how you do or not do your jobs

June 30, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  16. Tammy, Houma, LA

I understand the love affair with Michael Jackson and the need to report on the continual drama saga of his dysfunctional world. However, a week or so ago, a country was torn apart by a presidential election and the media ran with coverage. This weekend, a president was removed from office so that the voice of the people could be heard, a constitution could be honored, and because the Obama administration, Chavez, and the UN don't want it to happen, it appears very limited coverage has been given. The people in Honduras are speaking and protesting. Where is their international media voice in the US? Iranians wanting to get rid of a dictator is newsworthy. Hondurans wanting to rid themselves of Chavez's buddy isn't? Hmm. Where is the fair reporting here? Some of us do have interests in Honduras, we do work with the poorest of the poor down there, and this really does matter a heck of a lot more than whether or not Joe Jackson is a true slime bag or not.

June 30, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  17. Larry

Have done document forensics to prove the document genuine?

June 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  18. Shari

Thanks, Eliza, for the afternoon update. I hope Anderson asks the questions we all would like to hear the answers to.

This afternoon on CNN, I saw the attorney for MJ's doctor say that Michael wasn't feeling well on Wednesday and asked the doctor to spend the night at his rented Holmby Hills home.

So when you are hired to be his doctor at $150k per month, wouldn't your intelligence and experience tell you that when your patient tells you he is not feeling well, you wouldn't go to sleep on the job. Wouldn't you stay by his side through the night, fully awake and on the job, checking his pulse and breathing at regular intervals?

The attorney said the doctor found him the next morning in his bed with shallow breathing. That doctor was obviously not smart enough to do the job he was there to do. He was asleep in another room of the house. That's not looking after your patient.

June 30, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  19. SL

To the Family of MICHAEL JACKSON

Thank you for sharing your Son, Brother and Father
    Throughout the world, throughout the years
    His music through happiness and sadness have brought tears
    He lived in a time
    Performed with the JACKSON 5 only to shine

A legacy that will forever live
    Which included His philanthropy hence His will to give

MICHAEL JACKSON will always be the
    “KING OF POP”
    Far above all at the top
    The Greatness rooted within Him
    Captured on many years of cherished film
    To share with generations and generations
    His mastery and creations

Celebrate His Life in song and dance
    Celebrate His Greatness every chance

To the JACKSON FAMILY we salute MICHAEL JACKSON the
    “KING OF POP”
    The Man, The Life, The Music, The Dance
    May His true legacy live on……

Fans
    by Simmone Lawrence
    Family and Friends

June 30, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Afternoon Eliza

It's tragic about Micheal Jackson i can't understand how he could be reharsing one day and not alive the next. it's seems like a fishy story like something they are not telling us.It's like Elvis all over again and his father Joe is strange too he is not right or trying to cash in on the death of his son it's so sad .I look forward to seeing Anderson in L.A. tonight he was great on Reigis and Kelly today too wow he sure racks up those air miles .

Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

June 30, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  21. AH

Just a thought, but was it really necessary for Anderson to travel to L.A. to cover this story? After all Randi Kaye is already out there.

June 30, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  22. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

Hi Anderson, & Randi Kaye, welcome to L.A. We all know that the Jackson's are a hand full, but the one who, in my eyes, seems fishy & always up to something is Joe Jackson, I just ignore his madness. The only good thing Joe did was, he was the sperm donor to the Jackson's.
    I'm looking forward to see the Baghdad report,
    Michael Ware is way cool, & the war is & will remain
    our biggest failure, our biggest Joke! I hope we learn
    our lesson, then again this is America, so I doubt it!! see you tonight.

June 30, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  23. Isabel, Brazil

Good afternoon!

It will be great to have Anderson Cooper anchoring from LA.

The chapters after the death of Michael Jackson had to be unbelievable, otherwise it would not make justice to the life of Michael Jackson.

It is sad, but consistent with everything that we always hear about the patriarch of the Jacksons.
    He seems more interested in talking about his record company than the death of the his son.
    Or the guy is very relax or very cynical, because he's with an image of happiness that doesn't combine with the loss of a child. But whatever!

June 30, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  24. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

O.k. you got my vote! Keep digging guys, I have a feeling you'll come up with something pretty intense. This isn't about gossip, this is about something smelling fishy in Los Angeles! Poor Michael and those three kids. I certainly hope what your doing helps!

Donna Wood