June 25th, 2009

Video: Saberi: Iran can't go back

Program note: Freed U.S. journalist, Roxana Saberi, discusses her time in prison and the current Iranian situation with Anderson Cooper. For the full interview tune in tonight,  AC360° at 10 p.m. ET

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. George D.

Iran will never be a friend of the US whoever their president happens to be as long as it is ran by the so-called Supreme Leader Ayatollah. This is similar to North Korea's Beloved Dear Leader. Iran's version of democracy is a big joke. As bad as I feel towards those Iranians longing for real democracy, we Americans should not get involved.

June 25, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  2. Nahid

Taylor,

Right on, people of Iran they don't want any other country's interference. I went back many times and I talked to my people every day just to get to know them, and most of them they don't want a regime change or a revolution, they want their rights with what they have right now. And a rich country like Iran it is so sad that inflation is high and lot of educated young people don't have job. And believe me, they are going to get it step by step and as Roxana said Iran can't go back. These young generation and specially women are going to get what they deserve.

June 25, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  3. MandMs

sorry for not writen to you just so much college work and keeping up with Iran IN THE NEWS i wish the people of Iran
    could understand we see whats going on and we wont to help those people but we just cant rush into Iran till there is a civilwar or a mass killing gos on and other countrys are willing to go into Iran and help us clean up that country better for the people of GREEN

June 25, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  4. melanie

I just wonder why no one is commenting on the forsight of the last administration. If I remember correctly, the idea behind supporting democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan was supposed to lead to the spread of democracy in the region. It looks like the Iranians have gotten a glimpse of what true freedom is and are trying to take steps to attain this basic right for themselves.

I applaud the Iranian citizens for standing up for freedom they deserve and I also applaud President Bush and his administration for having the guts to sew the seeds.

June 25, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  5. Isabel, Brazil

Must be very sad to Roxana can't return to Iran, but should be a source of pride and hope to see the Iranian people struggling against tyranny and trying to have a true democracy.

Anderson, it's great you're bringing us the experiences of Roxana, in a moment like this. Thanks!

I look forward to the interview and I hope it is very good.

June 25, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  6. stacey

is it really just a matter of time then that iran will become a true democracy? or is that premature?

June 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  7. Sara

To answer Hasan about Saudi Arabia,

It is sad that women in Saudi have no right, but they are not showing their objection towards any of these at the moment, right now it is the people in Iran that are trying to gain back what is a basic human right. They are brave enough to get out there and tell the world that this is not the way they want to live their life and want the world to know that. This is not about Saudi or Pakistan.

June 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  8. Taylor Anna

Hassan- I don't think what you listed were human rights violations. I think that's just a different culture, and if the women disagree with it they're free to stand up and fight for their rights same way as they had to over here, and same as they're doing over in Iran. The US cannot just intrude on another culture because we think what they're doing is wrong. We cannot force another country to do as we say because we disagree with it. They have to do it themselves. If another country had come over here and forced us to desegregate, that wouldn't have been OUR revolution, that wouldn't have been OUR decision and we wouldn't have accepted it.

I'm not saying there aren't times when the UN (not the US) should intervene (say another holocaust /genocide/etc) but we have no right to have any force and impact in fundamental cultural differences.

I fully support Iran, and I hope what they're doing will ignite further cultures and countries to start revolutionary wars of their own... But I'm not going to get behind the idea that we should force it.

June 25, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  9. An

Hi Anderson.

Looking at wars, violents. poor lives, disasters, mistakedly accidents are so lowing levels. These sad things take people's lives the fairly happyness that these people lilltely have in their lives. Prayings to God to help our world.

An.

June 25, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  10. Diane N.

As childish as how their government is being in light of the elections and how they treat their citizens. We are lucky to witness this womans story. I'm looking forward to the interview.

June 25, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  11. Nahid

I can not believe the comment Hassan made. First, we are not Arab, and secondly I have asked many Arab women about how they feel about their rights and majority they don't care. But we do, and I am absolutely positive that Iranians have come to conclusion that religion has to be separated from the state.

June 25, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  12. Martina Ilstad Germany

Anderson you had your own "chance" to make your bad experience.Jailed in Iran must be verry scarry,a really nightmare.I think for you, this time in Iran jail,and now for Roxana must be terrible.Maybe,no way out,maybe never see your family,feeling you are in their hands.They can do with you,what ever they whant,maybe they blow you off?
    After this experience, you have to be a compl. different person.it can break your minds,maybe for years.

June 25, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

I'm looking forward to this interview. Certainly, Roxana Saberi was not mistreated the way other detainees are usually mistreated when they are imprisoned for treason. But I'm glad that she is telling her story.

June 25, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  14. Sean

this is probably the best statement to be made for the people of iran and it was made by our own founding fathers in our declaration of independence......That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security

June 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  15. Hassan

I don’t understand that why we are so concern about human right violation in Iran. In Saudi Arabia, women can’t drive, can’t vote, they must cover faces from head to toe but no one in US Government and Media talks about these violation. Iran is much better than Saudi Arabia and Pakistan (Our so called allies).

I even dont know if these comments will ever be posted on internet.

June 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  16. Cindy

Roxana Saberi is right in saying that the mindset of the Iranian people has forever changed because of this election and things will never be the same there. This fraudulent election has opened the eyes of many that their government cares nothing for them and only looks out for itself. Looking forward to seeing the whole interview with Saberi tonight.

Cindy...Ga.