June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Maureen T, Canada

People will continue to speculate about Michael's life, etc. No one knows how Michael lived!

June 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Heather James

At 30, I can remember Thriller being my first introduction to what would be forever known as the "true" start to pop music. He was the icon of my generation, he made me want to learn to dance, and if I could do the moonwalk. Which I might add, I cannot, but it's through Michael Jackson my appreciation for pop music generated from. He will be forever missed!

Another question as well, is it true that Jeff Goldbloom died on set in New Zealand?

3. Mary Lou - upstate NY

I watch your show most everyday to see the news and great debate. Although Michael Jackson's death is most definitely news, I'm disappointed that 2 hours are being devoted to this. I miss the rest of the news.

4. Linda

We grew up to the Jacksons, Right On magazine taking out the posters of Michael and his brothers and posting them on our room wall with a nail, later to get in trouble. But we put them back up with tape. I love you Michael Jackson but God loved your more. Suffer no more with this world. The King has gone home.

Linda

5. Sandra

I was 23 floors from Michael I've spoken with him on the phone he ask if I could get the phone number for the Astoria Hotel in New York , I said I would,then he responded back to me, You Promise

6. LaMar, Pa

Michael was such an inspiration to me, and will continue to be as his music lives on. Love you "King of Pop"

7. kaylea

michael jackson i love u, u have been my insperation since birth and i have dedicated my life to bettering my dancing in ur honer and will allow ur spirit to forever live in my heart. ppl need to stop with the lies and all the crap they put him through u ppl wnt even let him die in peace. enough,can u finally leave him alone?!

8. selena salazar

Hearing Michael's passing. it was unexpected and shocking to hear something like this. i give my heart out to his family,friends,fans. now he has found peace&is in a much better place< 3 even though he's gone his music will still live on.
    R.I.P
    Michael Jackson.
    you will be missed.

9. Fabian

An angel and a king returns home. Thanks for the memories.

10. Fola

I am a Nigerian and i got the first text about Michael Jackson's death from Nigeria at about 2.30pm California time. I am so so sad. His life echoes that of Amadeus Mozart. And please can you exclude Jeffrey Toobin from your panel or ask him to have a sense decorum.

11. An

Hi Anderson.

hi bloggers.

It is so sad of today news about Michael Jackson death.

12. Kathy

Saddened by death of Michael Jackson. Innovator, extraordinary dancer. Broke the MTV color line with "Billie Jean" video. Saw the magic he created in '71 at Yale Bowl in CT & again during the BAD tour. Celebrate the contributions & not the controversies!

13. Wibie

Everyone has secrets, but at the end of the day, only God will judge us for how we had chose to lived our lives, Micheal Jackson was destined to be a great entertainer, and we can truly say he had a lot of love for mankind, may the good LORD have Mercy on his soul. R.I.P FRIEND 🙂

14. Gloria S, san jose ca

Micheal Jackson is a National Treasure- please refer to him as such. Thank you Michael for all the talent, beauty and gifts you gave the world.

15. Rebecca

Michael Jackson wacky yes, but a tremendous loss to the music world

16. jen

i met him when i was 17 and he STILL has me in awe of his Greatness!

17. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

i am sad by Farrah Fawcett's death as well she was so bracve in her fight against cancer . I wonder if she married Ryan O'neal before she died ?

18. Crystal

I've never cried before over a celebrity death. Then again, there has never been anyone like Michael Jackson. I have always been a fan and always will be.

19. Toi

Hi Anderson;
    I am saddened and shocked. I feel like I lost a brother. I found myself wailing today as the news came across the wire. I remember exactly where I was when the Thriller video premiered... I will always remember today in the same way. My prayers are with his children, family, and friends.

20. Annie, Beijing, China

Good evening Anderson, Erica and everyone.
    its nightmare! its a huge sad day to me...i'm saddest. i love him for almost 15 years. when i heard this horrible news, i think it's a joke...but CNN's news revealed it's real. im crying...he'll always in my memory!

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Kamla Bhatt

Michael Jackson was a huge influence for me and many others growing up in India. Jackson's influence on Bollywood and Indian films was huge. Jackson's trademark clothes and dance moves are evident in many Indian films from the 1980s to all the way now.

May his soul rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. nate rosner

i just cant believe we lost two legends in tv and music industry.they will sadly missed.it was shocking to hear that mj had died.

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Nancy

Today is a sad day. Not only did we lose the king of pop we lost Farrah Fawcet as well. Everyone that I've talked to has been in shock by this news. I believe that it will take a few days to actually set in. I am 36 yrs old and I truely believe that my generation lost our "Elvis" today. You will always remember where you were when MJ died. So sad. Even my 13 yr old son was in shock when I told him.

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Eva

I am devastated! Anyone who came of age in the early to mid eighties would understand! There are specific songs of Michael's that coinside with my life experiences...it is crazy! Off the wall was bigger for me than even Thriller because of what was going on in my young life at the same time that Michael was taking the world by storm.

I was already having a bad day from hearing about another icon, Farrah, who defined what I wanted my hair to look like when I was a teenager...she was so sweet and beautiful and I was really praying for her to make a recovery...such a loss!

It is a sad day!

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. jacqueline, ny

OMGosh! This is really starting to hit me. I just saw a clip of his body being transported. It just doesn't seem real. The Jackson family must be tearing up inside. God bless them all.

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. shannon

We will never see a performer of this magnitude ever again. He was a class act, a talent. The world has lost someone so special and unique today.

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Tiffany W.

It just seems that the world just got a little less brighter...Im saddened and shocked....I will remember Michael as a consumate performer and one of the few artist who brought together and appealed to people of all ages, races, and nationalites..thoughts and prayers to his kids and family...

June 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Mary P

This is truely a sad day! The world lost a music icon. Michael Jackson will be truely missed. Tears fall for his children and my prayers are with his family now. Michael now has eternal rest, and one of my prayers will be that Michael will be remembered only for his greatness.

29. Vira Rhyne

I use to kiss Michaels posters..and was jealous I didnt have Farrahs body..Life doesnt always make sense. I do hope they have peace now

Vira
    Denver

30. Francois Koudoro

This is one of the Sad Day in History. i would just like to say Thank you for all he did and may god bless him

31. Christina

Michael Jackson has inspired my life in so many ways. Because of him I got into journalism to make a difference in how news is reported by interviewing talented individuals of their field. When I uplift them, it uplifts my audience.

32. Jim

Is an autopsy an automatic thing or only if required for Michael Jackson?

33. Tamara

No what his legal problems he may have had... I still loved Michael Jackson!

34. Jack

HI......Today reminds me of when Sammy Davis Jr and Jim Henson died on the same day..........Mostly heard about Sammy......Same today with Farrah. 2 great losses.

35. Chandra

I am the same age as Michael Jackson. So devastated that someone who was such an integral part of my youth did not live much beyond his. As a little black girl growing up in Southern California, his talent and success was one of the little seeds planted that I, too, could grow up to do great things. I am sad but so grateful to have been an observer and beneficiary of his accolade-defying talent.

36. Anthonia-california

@Jasmine-I Totally agree with you! his voice was extremely amazing!
    @Ratna-Yea, she too died today...!

37. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I think Michael was a bit odd but the reason he "vailed" his children was to give them the privacy and childhood he never had.

I think his intentions were good but ended up improperly...his heart was in the right place...but the actions were not right.

He needed a mate to ground him.

38. Cathy

Has anyone reported on where Michael's children are?

39. P.Hunter Whitby Ontario

Hi Everyone! So sorry to hear about all the sadness today. Two great people gone today and will be dearly missed. All the best to both families.

40. Aaegie, Toronto, Canada

Michael Jackson was a legend in his own right. I grew up listening to his music back home in Benin City, Nigeria, such an amazing talented, gifted genius gone but his music lives on.

41. Cindy

Michael definitely lived a very strange life but then look at how he grew up!

Cindy...Ga.

42. Shyma Ahmed

The death of Michael Jackson comes as an utter shock to me. With all the controversy that surrounded his life, he was undeniably a remarkable entertainer and an inspiration to us all.

43. Jessica

I just want to pay my respect to the family
    I know what it feels like to loss
    A family member.Micheal was a great artist his music will be played forever. I also want to pay my respect to
    Farah Fawcette family she fought
    A long battle of cancer a great
    Actress and great person

44. Tammy

What can I say. I am trully sad today as is the rest of the world. I grew up with Michael Jackson and his music. I can remember where I was on almost all of his musc...the prom... homecoming. Wow, this was trully unexpected and unbelievable. I did not believe the molestation charges from the onset. I believe in part that all of those trials took the very LIFE out of him. My prayers go out to his family and we are trully going to miss this great artist.

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Diane TN

OMG!!! I grew up with Michael Jackson!!! I am still not believing this. My condolences go out to the Jackson family, and all of the grieving fans. Please everyone... Keep The Music ALIVE !!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. mary

what a loss to the world. i grew up listening to his music. i will forever remember him.it is really tragic.people should respect him and his famioly and not spread issues about him

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Tim

I just can't help feeling the loss of Michael since I have grown up with him to the age of 50. I hope there is a focus on the positives and less on the negatives. A genuis in the entertainment world, and a failure at common sense. No matter, it shows we are all mortal beings and falluable.

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Jennifer

I've been watching Michael Jackson videos all evening. His infamy will not change my opinion of this magical entertainer.

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Michelle Russell, Toronto, Canada

I so very sad at the loss of an ICON...I have been fortunate enough to see The Jacksons and Michael three times and words cannot express the talent this man possessed. As I watch the news reports I am upset that there is so much focus on negative aspects of his life. This man is a genius period. No other iconic figure has been given such BAD press even before his body is cold. PLEASE STOP!!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Tiny

I am sadden about the death of Michael Jackson. His music will forever live within me.

June 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |