June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. MIchael S.

as a teen in the 80's, waiting for a Michael Jackson video to premiere on MTV was an EVENT! The talent and versatility of Michael was other worldly! You couldn't help but wonder, what could he possibly do NEXT....and then he proceeded to one up even himself...leaving you breathless, and wanting more!
    Even Sammy Davis Jr., probably the most versitile entertainer of all time, was in awe of Michael...
    Thank you for my youth Michael...
    Rest In Peace!

2. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    I couldn't get into Studio 54 in my 20s and you got into the club at 10? Obviously you had your connections!

3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The thriller album was my fave i loved BIllie Jean song .Do body can do it like him.

4. Lynn

Too many, too soon, michael, farrah, ed mcmann all great icons. They will be missed. Life is short, enjoy every moment good and bad.

5. Scott B.

Good Evening Anderson,

Would love to hear the story of your Studio 54 visit at 10 years old.

Do tell, please.

Could be a bright spot on such a sad news today.

6. Sherri

This is super shocking two people in one day. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett

7. ericacnn

AC has a good reason for being there – promise 🙂

Once we finished filing our stories for tonight and had a chance to step back from the news and process this a bit, everyone's memories came pouring out.

8. Maegan

Such a sad day today. If in fact that Michael died because of abuse of pills, I hope that people will start to realize the pressure that so many celebrities and so many other people in the world face. Not just Michael, but Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole, Elvis and Marilyn Monroe; we have to know that it's not just illegal drugs that cause addiction and self medication, but even over the counter medicine's. We are who we are and people should just accept it instead of criticizing.

9. derrill

dear ac. will miss micheal but i live in sc and from what iv'e seen with our gov i think we the people should start voting on more subjects so that the laws in country reflect the peoples views as a failsafe in case our leaders are chasing after other things.i believe we need a national day to vote on issues so congress doesn't get constipated with to many bills

10. clo sheridan

The world has lost a true music giant!! Sad that so many like he and Elvis had to be isolated. Your words were so true when you said that Lisa Marie is the only one that can reallize the enormity of both.
    As ling as you were at Studio 54 and not Platos Retreat you will still be my favorite. Thanks AC for who you are and what you do.

11. C. Greer

I am the same age as Michael Jackson. So devastated that someone who was such an integral part of my youth did not live much beyond his. As a little black girl growing up in Southern California, his talent and success was one of the little seeds planted that I, too, could grow up to do great things. I am sad but so grateful to have been an observer and beneficiary of his accolade-defying talent.

12. Liz

Let's pray for his kids. Whatever he may have been and done (and some of it was unquestionably strange and wrong as you have shown) let's not forget his children who will miss him more than any of us imagine. When you lose a parent the void is never filled.

13. Anita, Canada

What should stay with all of us to remember is his music and none of his personal struggles...What a tragic life.

14. Princess

I am saddened by the passing of Michael Jackson. This incident should highlight the actions of Doctors who prescribe drugs to stars just for a buck and not seeking the health of their patients.

This is the end of an Era.

I will always love you Michael

15. Jennifer

Although Micheal Jackson was... Micheal Jackson, I cannot imagine my childhood without his music.

16. kitha

The "King of Pop" will always be remembered as the greatest music man and a fabulous dancer. I grew up listening to his music and saving newspaper clippings. Prayers to the Jackson Family and Friends.

17. Lyn

As I'm 49 years old Michael Jackson's music was a full part of my life. I was always a fan of the music and will remain so. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

18. jen

NOT ONLY A MAN>>HE WAS AN INSTITUTION

19. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

The final curtain call. That gives me chills

20. Erica, (Louisiana)

Hey Anderson,
    This is a sad day indeed for all of us. I grew up listening to michael jackson and trying to immitate his dance moves as a kid. I remember watching "moonwalker" for hours on end. The World has lost a musical genius and he will trully be missed.

21. Samantha

I think Michael Jackson was different and weird but his music was awesome! I think because he was a major pop star that some of the abuse causes might have been false against him just to get to his money. No doctors have ever reported on his kids being abused so I stand behind him being innocent. Let his music live on and God rest his soul! What a sad day for music lovers!

22. Idil

Anderson, very sad day. We have lost a great human being. He was more then just his talent, let's not forget that. Talent is brought him to our TV sets and radio waves, but we also loved him because he connected with us. He talked about all love, personal responsibility, social justice. If you want to know the man listen to his words, to the causes he lent his name and gave his money too. He transcended language, religious, cultural and racial barriers. Before I spoke english i could sing along to an MJ tune, as I traveled thru Europe, Africa, and Asia I could always find his songs playing, his albums being sold and his dance being reenacted. He brought us together and asked us to look in the mirror, to heal the world because we are indeed the world. MJ was a gift to the world and thru his songs he will live on.

23. Sabrina

Does Anyone know where his kids are and who will have custody? Despite all his bad publicity you can not deny the music genius he was.

24. Zachary Carmichael

Anderson you are indeed a decent Man. In addition too I ask that you send my sincere condolences To the Family of Mr. Michael Jackson. Thanking you in advance.

25. Lee

I remember growing up to Michaels music growing up. I will never forget sitting in the rafters of MSG in September 2001 watching him and his brothers perform, a moment I will never forget. Thank you Michael Rest in Peace

26. Laele Poole

Michael when i heard that you died at first I was in shock and thought oh thats so sad I want you to forgive me for that but now im a wreck I want to know why god needed you now.

27. Markiss

This is so tragic! We are losing all of our African American superstars, Tupac, Biggie, now Michael Jackson. We don't know how big this will affect the history of music, his fans, his family. RIP

28. Raymond, Fayetteville, Arkansas

It's amazing how I sit back and realize how big a part of my childhood in the 80's is attributed to Michael Jackson. I just went on YouTube and watched the video to Billie Jean. I realize how fame was really hard on him, a life in the spotlight, fair-weathered friends, and never-ending controversies. I really wonder if he has left this life thinking it was a happy one.

29. Anna

When I was ten years old and I just had emergency surgery to remove my appendix. When I got out of the hospital my mom and dad took me to go see the Jackson Five in concert, my first concert!! Wow! The first album I bought was Going Back To Indiana by the Jackson Five which accompanied my high-Fi record player. I was even more fortunate to see Michael Jackson in an open air concert while I was stationed in Germany with the U.S. Army. I still have the ticket stub with his picture on it. Sad day there will never be another.....Farrah Fawcett ...I never missed an episode of Charlies Angels and I sported the feathered look like Farrah.
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who loved them the most may they rest in peace.

30. Rowana

I am really sad!!! RIP Micheal and Farrah!!! My heart is really sad!!!

31. kara

Heaven today recieved an angel and a rockstar. My heart goes out to both families. May the both rest in peace.

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Farrah Facwett was my favorite actress, I always love watch Charlie's Angels...... I was little to see her many times.

33. Jane

Anderson,if you met Jackson when you were 10 yrs old,How old are you now????? I am trully sad about Michael Jackson.
    Anderson i love you!!!!! you are great!!!!

34. Isabel, Brazil

That scene with the baby outside the window was scary!
    The genius has its insane side!

35. kay kay

it is so sad that Michael Jackson died , i loved this song thriller and beat it my favorite songs i would cry for days if i was one of his family members

36. James Brandt

I am watching your show on Michael Jackson tonight, and I don't understand why you are not mentioning the news about his conversion to Islam. It may be rumour or truth but I think it should be added in your show. Unfortunately, none of the news channels have even given it a mention.

37. Max

When I first heard about it, I was shocked... I mean, how else would you react? I mean, Michael Jackson! And I denied it for about an hour and a half after I heard it, but then accepted it. I say that to say this, I understand how big Michael was, but it is very surprising that one man can turn the face of the world from Iraq and Wallstreet in just moments, and for a long time. =/

I guess he was just that important. Cya Michael... I hope your singing up there.

Max 😉

38. Rey Martinelli

News from Brazil

It's so shocking..... although the ups and downs, Michael was loved by every brazilian and I guess the entire word. My sincere regards to Michael's family and the american fans.
    Huge loss for our world..such a gifted person ...he's carrer was a lifetime event for us who lived it.

Forget now all the controversies and pray for the Legend.

Our media in Brazil is following the tragedy...its all down Michael now and he deserves it.

Warm Regards from Brazil
    Rey Martinelli

39. Sandra

Sadly I feel Michael's life would have been far more happier had he not had to endure such a lonely, allegedly abusive, unhappy childhood at the hands of his Father. Clearly Michael was deeply affected by the abuse by the hands of his Father. Michael is at peace now and no longer suffering his internal pain. My heart goes out to his children and extended family at this very difficult time.

40. Jack G.

Michael Jackson probably could have been able to find peace if others would have supported him. I believe that The king of pop's death has effected everyone all over the world. Just like with 9/11 and the death of kennedy, you will remember where you were when you found out Michael Jackson Died.

41. Angel

Hi,

It is very sad that they both died. Even sadder that Farrah's death has been pushed aside. Even with Anderson, as Erica just finished reporting on Farrah's passing seemed not to be able to wait to finish with her so he could take about meeting Michael as a kid.

Showing the picture of Michael in the ambulance was a bit disrespectful as well. I tend to expect more of CNN. So I'm disappointed.

It seems you my talk more about Bubbles the chimp than Farrah Fawcett.

We pray for the people who loved them. That God will grant them comfort.

42. Anita

I am very angry about the death of Michael Jackson. This society killed Michael Jackson by killing his spirit. Our society has a love affair with building people up so it can cut them down; I mean totally ruin their lives. When you kill the spirit, you kill the person. I believe he was falsely accused of child molestation to extort money. This is what really killed him and ruined him financiallly. The press is key this type of "vulturism". They will go to all lengths for a story even if it means killing someone. I am very angry. I see this pattern repeated over and over again. I worry about President Obama. The vultures are out there circling around,waiting for the kill. I hate this about our society. I believe he would still be alive if it had not been for this type of syndrom. "People" do not want to see you happy and innocent. "They" want to see you bitter, troubled, suffering and mean like they are. They will beat the beautiful out of you.

43. Karen Alexander

What good news for Gov. Sanford....................

44. Susan M.

This totally shocked me today when I opened my email and got a breaking news email from my local news station.

I remember watching Michael Jackson music videos when I was a child. We would watch them as a family and I cherish those memories. My two favorite songs of his that I could listen too over and over are We Are The World and You Are Not Alone.

You will be forever loved and missed MJ.

Susan

45. Theresa

The world stopped when the Thriller music video premierred. Litterally stopped... and we all watched with fascination and adoration and a bit of fear and amazement.. and we all wanted to be like Michael Jackson.

46. Judd Kohler

I think it is great to remember Michael. I grew up in the 70's as I am 46 so I means allot. I wanted to make sure you remember Farrah Faucett also another 70's icon what a loss. I just watched Farrah's story over a month ago. I thought she would make it.

47. Shannon

I am only 25, but Michael Jackson, throughout his trials and tribulations has made a huge effect on my generation. He will always be here with us, his songs will never die. We have truly lost a musical hero.

48. Chris

Very sad. His music was beyond incredible. He is a modern day American musical genius. Hopefully, the world will raise their flags to half-staff tomorrow.

49. Linda Hembry

MJ was just starting to get his edge back. Who knows why now and why at such a young age. Michael Jackson, the definition of pop music, will be greatly missed.

50. June

wow...the crazy life of Anderson Cooper...do tell!!!... I think it's time for a second book!