June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Danny Caccioppo

This was such a huge unexpected shock to the world. I was a big fan of his music. He really inspired so many artists and hopefully his music will live on forever in future musicians.

2. Lecia Setter

Michael Jackson dead!!! I am in shock...like Elvis was to his generation..Michael is to my generation...Love him or hate him..the world lost a great talent today, without him modern music would not be what it is today..Rest in peace Michael hopefully you find the peace now that you never got on earth..

3. Cory

I never knew Michael Jackson, but he has certainly been a part of my life. I am not one to follow an entertainer for concerts and such, but I think there are several Michael Jackson songs in my MP3 player. Mostly, what I would like to say is this, as a human being – entertainer, celebrity aside, I have said a prayer for Michael that he has found peace and filled the voids that he has desperately search to fill throughout his life.

4. Rose from Calif

My son is 28 years old he grew-up with Michael's song "beat it" and so on. I remember Michael when he was with Motown. My friends liked Donny Osmond I like The Jackson 5. No words from the Osmond family whats up?

5. Beverly Robison

Michael Jackson was a wonderful musician and his music will live forever. I had the joy of meeting him when I was younger and he was singing with his brothers. I will always remember him as the sweet young man he was

6. Danny

Tonight I was at the Apollo Theater in Harlem New York City.

I saw lots of wonderful people dance and singe MJ's beautiful music.

And...I wanted to cry...

7. Jan Davis

Hey Anderson!
    I am trying to find out if you know if "Dr. Perper" might attend or do the autopsy on Michael? I wonder because he has experience in high profile cases and will not lie to the media about results.

THANKS!
    Jan Davis (Kernersville, North Carolina)

8. Jennifer

Michael Jackson has a special place in my childhood memories. I still have my Michael Jackson doll I got when I was 10 yrs old and I even had the Beat It jacket, tickets from the Victory Tour. He was a human being, so please do not disgrace him in death. No other person will ever achieve his greatness.

9. Manejeh Yaqub

What a loss. Though we did know things are not quite the healthiest for MJ, this is still highly unbelivable and just as shocking as it would be 20 yrs ago.It's ironical how not in all these years one imagined how lonely he was during his lifetime- but when he is gone in a moment we believe he was indeed very lonely and very sad.
    RIP MJ. May Allah be with you.

10. Ann Murphy

Could you please remove that ridiculously large breaking news banner. It takes up 25% of the screen & is ruining the videos of MJ dancing.

Thanks

11. Jay

Why was AC at studio 54 with mj when he was 10? How strange!

12. fields

A wonderful way to honor the king of pop would be for artists to join together and perform his comeback tour in the UK. What do you think AC?

13. SHANITA

I lost my father about 8 years ago when he was in his 30's and I thought that was the most shocking death I had ever experienced until today. I loved Michael Jackson and met him when I was 9 years old in California and he was the most gentle loving person I had ever met and I will never forget him. I know there is negative things said about his life but at this time his good outweighed his bad and not only God knows the truth and he doesn't have to answer to any of us anymore.
    Thanks CNN and God bless the Jackson family.

14. melody

My husband & I grew up in the 80s in a remote town in the Philippines. We had no tv, no MTV, no internet yet. But we did not need any of those because the music that we heard on the radio was enough to hook us. We all went gaga over the Thriller album. It left no room for teenage angst to take over.

Michael Jackson was a genius. And I can't believe I'm referring to him in the past tense.

15. Jennifer

The one thing that I noticed about all the pictures of Michael was how sad and lonely he looked. I cannot imagine the pain and loneliness that he must have felt. The one thing we can all believe in now is that he is peace.

16. Tamra Rider

Im so sad at the loss of MJ. My two small sons just started to listen to his music and really enjoy it. They have been crying for over an hour. The little one who is 4 came to me and said mommy god is going to bring michael jackson back to life. I told him that could not happen. I just have no way to explain this to them. I hope they live to enjoy all his music and videos. RIP MJ.

17. Kelly

Hi Anderson,
    Please play Michael Jackson's Grammy performance of Man In The Mirror- it's so moving; it always makes me cry.

18. Martha

What shocks me most about the deaths of this week; Ed McMahon (not a shock) Farrah (which we expected) and now Michael Jackson. Every station says something about the legal part of what a lot of people remember but seem to forget what is said here in the states - INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. He was acquited of all charges and that should be enough. His life should be remembered for the good things and the smiles he has put on peoples faces each and every day and the same for Farrah and Ed McMahon and for those near us in our lives.

19. cristy kirssin

Have we heard from Michael's Parents or brothers and sisters?

20. Lisa

Any word from Diana Ross and Brook Shields?

21. JR, Miami, FL

Michael Jackson, you were a true gift from God. I always thought I would see you again. You're up there with Elvis and Sinatra now...in a place of peace and love like you sought and gave here on earth.

22. Matt Minnepolis, MN

Anderson,
    I was just on itunes to see if his death would have an impact on the album sales, Thriller has shot up to number one one the Itunes charts! He also has 5 albums, in the top 10, just hours after his death! Unbelievable!

23. MSA in NYC

It's a sad day every day for many people around the world, not just the loss of celebrities.

24. Tremayne

michael jackson will be rembered he is a music legend
    r.i.p michael jackson
    Tremayne

25. Bruce S.

About the comments by the family spokesman, I wonder if said spokesman was around Michael during the last 6 months or if this is just speculation on his part? Whatever the cause and no matter what Michael Jackson did or didn't do, we have lost a national treasure. May God be with his family.

26. Danielle

God bless his soul, he is and will forever be a legend!!!

27. dali

Couldn't stop crying when I heard the news. I grew up with MJ and the Jackson 5 music. Huge loss for the world. Prayers to the Jackson family. I will miss him. RIP Michael.

28. Francie Caudill

Michael Jackson's unmatched musical talent has left a permanent impression on pop music as we know it. I believe he was a very misunderstood individual who had a very unique upbringing and achieving normalcy under those circumstances would be impossible for anyone. May he now rest in peace away from the prying eyes of the public.

29. CAROLYN J

anderson if you do decide to dance, never dance to billy jean
    as i am a good dancer ive never been able to dance to that song
    but will listen and rock.

30. jennifer

it just doesn't seem real, does it?

31. Diamond

Michael Jackson will be dearly missed by the world he affected everyone in this world one way or another... He helped the poor, he inspired muscians, He entertained the world.. He is a father a son a brother and uncle a dear friend... May God rest his sole...

32. Johnny Medina

hi anderson i live in santa maria california where his trial took place i got the rare chance to get invited to go to neverland ranch where i meet the king of pop he was a very humble down to earth kind of guy and he will deeply be missed R.I.P KING OF POP

33. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

On vacation, but I just had to find a PC to comment on this. I was devastated when I heard of the loss of Michael Jackson this afternoon. I've often remarked that Michael Jackson is the only celebrity I've ever been a fan of. I have a hard time accepting that he's gone, but his legacy of inspiration and hope lives on. Thanks, MJ. You'll be forever missed.

34. Brenda Jo

My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I was just wondering if anyone has heard from Diana Ross regarding MJ's death?

35. lynn from Ma.

Rest in Peace Gloved One...
    Thanks for all the music.

We are the same age and I too had a Heart Attack this year but survived it with surgery.
    Wish it had been that way for you.
    You were an innocent with the Heart of a child–
    some didn't understand so they hurt you.
    You could Never hurt anyone.
    They should have been able to see that.
    You were given so much talent but you paid the price
    What a crazy life your must have been...
    I hope NOW you are at PEACE–you deserve it....Lynn

36. Kenny

Anderson, love your show – but displaying the photograph a few minutes ago of Michael in the back of the ambulance being resuscitated was in extremely poor taste. It is possible to report the news without satisfying the disgusting voyeurism of some people. Stick to reputable journalism – don't degrade both yourself and your viewers.

37. joanna

i'm so sad, we have lost a ""musical icon"".my heart is with his children & family, "i will always love you michael".

38. jennifer j

I was shocked to hear the news of micheals death ... i was ten when i first heard micheal and i have loved his music and the way he move cross the floor my heart goes out to the Jackson family .... I will miss Micheal
    Love you micheal
    Jennfer j Vermont

39. jacqueline, ny

I feel the same way as Mr. Quincy Jones: I feel a part of me has died. So so sad.

40. Minou, New York City

Can skin really be lightened that much? how?

41. Carlos

Hi-just a little detail that slipped by that I happened to notice. Anderson talked about Michael Jackson's 1st single being in 1972 and then a moment later said that 5 years later came Off the Wall. It was actually 7 years later. I just thought I would mention it since the news are about reporting the facts. I may be wrong, but this is what I thought I heard. Thanks...

42. Sandra Borg

I feel bad for the Jackson family, however Farrah's death has been over shaddowed by his death...She was a great actress and deserves equal time.

43. Em

Anderson, Studio 54 in the 70's wow!

44. Joy McKerr

I find it so hurtful that the media who were so quick to judge and castigate Michael during his trial cannot say enough wonderful things about him now that he is gone. I do not believe his life would have been nearly so sad if some of these remarks had been made in his defense when he so badly needed them. Maybe some lessons will be learned and people won't be so quick to believe the rumour mongers tnat had it in for him.

45. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Do women like Michael Jackson's music more than women? I love his music! What a genius!

46. Marshall Cohen

Michael Jackson should not be remembered as from his tribulations but his luminous life and achievments. The moments in his life were precious and full of love. Thats I will will always remember him.

47. ARB from NYC

I was so amazed like everyone else when I heard the news. I personally did not grow up listening to his music religiously, but I have listened to him and will continue to. I just wanted to say, that I am very sad about the loss and wanted to express my dearest sympathies for the family.

48. Faye, nj

I'm saddened by the loss of both MJ and FF. May they both rest in peace along with all the people who have recently died in Iran. Please remember them support their cause.

49. starr formerly known as vincent

Erica Hill

I am also a huge Billy Joel Fan!!

But, i have to say, the minute Thriller was available i got it. There has never been and will likely not be anything that was that iconic. As you mentioned several weeks ago (you & anderson), that the dance to Thriller is still being performed at weddings, graduations and just for fun (like the Japanese prisoners?)

50. John