June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Stacie A

I think the world will be a lonelier place without Michael Jackson, he was an Icon of our time, he was one of those people who you felt would live forever, this is shocking an heartbreaking. My heart goes out to his family
    we will miss your talent
    Rest in Peace Michael, Rest in Peace

June 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Deepak B

we should call him

PHAROH of POP..............

Kings get replaced sometimes...even the same day

Michael Jackson lives forever...........

Long Live The Pharoh of POP...

Deepak B

3. Shawn

It is sad.. as a Day and age of remember buying Michael jackson albums from Flea markets or driving and listening to the Jackson 5 CD. To hear of this passing is just unexplainable.. The sadness, no matter what happened to him with courts.. It is a Sad day in American History......... This will go down as one of those days for me, behind 9/11 just one of those days people will say Where were you when you heard Michael Jackson Died..... It is Elvis Presleys death of my generation.. Rest in peace Michael Jackson.

4. Tony

Such a sad day; make us smile a little Anderson and share you Studio 54 story about meeting the King Of Pop 🙂

5. Ron Dale

Where's Janet?

6. Nilo from Los Angeles

So much sadness today. We expected the death of Farrah Fawcett, but MJ was a huge shock. I grew up with his music and still have him on my playlist.

7. Victoria B, Woodstock, GA

I am so sad beyond what mere words can explain. He will truly be missed. Thank you for what you gave to this world. There will never be another you. You are loved and will forever be missed. RIP

8. DJ Delgado

Makes me very sad to see that Michael could not do the concert of a lifetime, I grew up dancing and singing his music at school, yard and subways, I have tought my 11 yr old twin todo thriller and have showed them what a legend looks like, I have an original 79 LP and now will cherish it more for ever.

9. Elisa Meade

You did not have been a fan of Michael Jackson, or even understand some of things the man did in his personal life, but everyone has to admit that they have sung along with one of his songs throughout the years. He was flawed, of course, like all other human beings, but ultimately he was special. He lived his life in a fishbowl from the time he was 5 years old. Michael's accomplishments were amazing and he forever changed the face of pop music. His legacy will live on and his music will always bring a smile to someone in the world. He will be missed.

10. Matt in ATL

Thriller was epic

11. Linda

OK thats enough for tonight, I will wait until the next few days to heard about drugs etc regarding Michael Jackson.
    Yes someone can be revived and Dr Gupta should also say that if someone is debrillated immediately doesn't always means he's going to live absoultely, the chance improves in reviving life and maintaining it but the chances are just as certain that they may die as well. Just don't want people thinking if he was immediately debrillated he would be alive today, it was a chance he wouldn't

Also Anderson why at the age of 10 you didn't know who Michael Jackson was is or more concern to me than you being at Studio 54, They shouldl to talk to your Mother about your lack of cultural /urban exposure to music, HaHa

12. cristy kirssin

AC, Tell us more about Studio 54!!

13. Christie

At the age of 28, I am tremendously saddened by this tragedy. I can remember as a kid, going through my Mom and Dad's vinyls and listening to the music from the brilliant Michael Jackson.

14. Lydiana Garcia

Just an unbelievable day.
    We lost Michael Jackson and let us not forget Farrah Fawcett.
    I still can not believe it.

15. RNY

I am in so much shock today about the devastating news of the passing of Michael Jackson. He was not just a music icon to the older generations, but as well as the younger generations. No matter what happen in his personal life he affected every persons life on this earth! This is a very sad day today in World History. I hope the best for his children and the rest of his family.

Rest in Piece Michael Jackson!

June 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Dirk De Mal (Belgium)

This is so sad...still in disbelieve...Europe will be in quite a shock once everyone awakes...Rip for the greatest artist of all times...

17. Ashley

This is a very sad day, when i found out about Micheals death it was realy unbeleivable. It is a huge shock , he was an awsome singer. He will be sadly missed .

18. kdee

great lost

19. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Anderson......Studio 54 and meeting MJ? I can't top that one so I wanna hear more about this experience of yours....

20. Kari

I'm really saddened by the passing of Michael Jackson – he really was and will always be a truly talented individual. I remember my brothers and I wearing our neon colored Michael Jackson shirts when we were out in California when we were younger - and I cannot remember a wedding I've been to that did not involve some of his music. He will truly be missed.

21. Shamiya

This is a man that we have witnessed grow up and evolve before our eyes. He is a true Legend!! He was acquitted of all molestation charges so leave that be and recognize is brilliancy in the music world!!! RIP MJ

22. Natalie C

Michael Jackson devoted his life to creating untouchable music. With fame brought people who wanted to bring down the King of Pop down. He will be forever missed and will always remain for eternity the Music Genius.

23. Deana

What can I say besides that Michael Jackson's passing is shocking and heartbreaking. I know I am not the only one with great memories that involve Michael's amazing music, May he rest in peace.

24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson? Studio-54 at 10 years old? Hopefully one day we will hear more of that story!

25. Josh in Baltimore

I am 30, and this is like my generation's Elvis PResley. So sad today. I cannot believe he is gone. I never thought he would go. Michael was to live forever and for many more generations.

26. Lucy

The world is sadden and silenced by the news of a great performer such as Michael Jackson having passed away. Mr. Jackson was a great artist and no other will most likely appear again with that kind of talent. I watch CNN every day and for the most part enjoy it however today with his passing all was in normal CNN coverage except for the picture of Mr. Jackson being worked on. Having had two tragedies in my family with a brother passing on of cardiac arrest at the age of 47 and my mother passing on of a heart attack in her sleep at the age of 77 would naturally bring back an unpleasant time in my life. I would not have appreciated their pictures in that state being plastered across a tv screen. It was in poor taste of CNN to do this. In a time like this show the good times don't humiliate people stars or otherwise. CNN don't fall in the same class as the enquirer, that is their style not yours.

27. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Patty, great poem! very creative!

28. Jonath

When would we ever think that two important icons of the 20th century, who were both extremely popular and famous, and role models to millions would die on the same day! What a surreal and sad day!

29. Theresa

I hope Michael is dancing in heaven with all of the angels.. teaching them new moves and riffs... and moonwalking...

30. Keith

Michael can finally rest now.

31. Krista

Death happens when least expected, so live your life like there is no tomorrow!

32. steve callaway

It should not be a sad day this day of loss but a day to stand up and remember the great man Michael Jackson was to us his fans and the world. god bless.

33. Caroline, Los Angeles

Good heavens Anderson! Why were you at Studio 54?! That's life in the Big City.

My brother told me today that he saw the Jackson 5 at Disneyland when he was a kid. I guess my sister and I had gone to a ride, my brother was in Tomorrowland with my mom on the rockets, and when that ride was done the Jackson 5 were doing a set on the Tomorrowland stage.

I think my sister and I must have been in line for the Monsanto ride or something. Darn!

34. Benjamin T.

I never thought Michael Jackson would die, It just never seemed like something that would happen. He has been influential on modern music. May his soul Rest in Peace.

35. Carlos Perea

I was driving and nearly crashed when I heard that Farrah Fawcett had died. Michael Jackson's passing makes today that much more somber. And Ed McMahon a few days ago, too... I'm worried about who might die tomorrow.

On a lighter note: you *should* dance more often, Anderson.

36. Cindy

Anderson at Studio 54!! OMG..that's a story we need to hear! Do tell more Cooper! I guess we see you never have been a dancer. But then again who would want to compete with Michael dancing!? He was great!

Cindy..Ga.

37. Sharon

I am so numb, tears refused to fall from my eyes! Michael and Farrah; RIP. Condolences to the Fawcett and Jackson family.

38. Tay

Heeey 🙂

The Legend Of Pop is acctually gone 🙁
    Micheal Jackson was the start of music
    and will always be remembered.
    Rest In Peace Micheal. <3

39. Raal

I'm really in shock about MJ The King of Pop passed away and I cried as soon I heard the bad news. We will remember him forever not matter what. He gave us a wounderful time with his music!!! I just want to make clear what I heard from Sheryl Crow said about MJ dancing style; he was a great talented guy, but I believe he dance exactly as an very well know Mexican actor and comediant Adalberto Martinez "Resortes". MJ Not matter what we will miss you. Rest in peace Michael Jackson.

40. Lori from IL

@Anderson - no fair "teasing" about Studio 54 at age 10 - time for you to join the blog and "fess up!"

41. Jasmine

My favorite song, and personally the most annoying is "Beat It" Once I hear the song, it gets stuck in my head for a weeks.

42. Eddy Lozano

He's music forever was, and forever will be respected by all of us musicians. Thank you Michael Jackson for music that inspires and let's you groove like no other. Rest in peace.

43. Scott Bernard

I think we should remember him for the great music and the amazing entertainment he provided for us for so many years! RIP MJ

44. Michael

The say things happen in threes. Ed Mcmahon, Farah, and now Michael. It has ben a rough week.

45. jacqueline, ny

The day "Victory" was released, My oldest brother, came home in the middle of the night waking up my sister and me by tossing albums at us while we slept. He gave her Stevie Wonder's "Hotter Than July" and ME... "VICTORY" by The Jacksons. We were hysterical! There was absolutely no sleeping that night. I still get heart palpitations just thinking about that night.

46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Wow!!!! You met Michael Jackson!! You were 10 yrs old!!! you're so lucky man!!! LOL!

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Mary NYC

Michael's music was truly the soundtrack to many of our lives. He will be missed. I still have my Farrah Fawcett "Jill" doll she was a magnificent woman, happy she is finally at peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Alicia

I am wondering how Macaulay Culkin is taking this hard news. Very sad day, MJ && him were like best friends. VERY SAD 🙁

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

Yes, the lyrics of "man in the mirror" are the best!

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. chioma

I was a kid when Michael's "Thriller" album hit the scene. I wanted to marry him as much as the next girl back then. The music videos were pure magic. You don't see that kind of talent very often. His music will endure for years to come. Rest in peace MJ.

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |