June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    That's cool that you met Michael Jackson! And you didn't dance then either? He was a hell of a dancer though, wasn't he?? He's probably dancing his way into heaven!

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Cynthia, NC

Anderson how did you get into Studio 54 at the age of 10? And you still didn't dance!

It's cool that you were able to meet Michael. I'm sure you'll never forget it.

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Cessy, Chicago

Hello! everyone!

Sad day indeed....

June 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Isabel, Brazil

May God bless his soul – he was very talented and a very troubled individual.

5. Jonathan

Studio 54-really?

6. Jacqueline Graham

Please clarify that Michael was not the youngest child, Randy and Janet were

7. Heather - Spokane, WA

Anderson, what were you doing at Studio 54 when you were 10?!

8. Ratna, New York, NY

Farah also?!!!

9. susan

this is media focus patronizes intelligent Americans.

10. Vickie

Studio54 @ 10 years old Anderson? Wow! You were livin' large! 🙂

11. Renee

@ Erika: Will you get the crew to dance to a Michael song around midnight as a tribute?

@ Anderson: Your Mom let you go to Studio 54 at 10! Life was good in NYC!

12. Kristen, MD

Anderson you should be ashamed a chance to meet and dance with Michael Jackson, who turns that down? Ellen will never let you live this down, lol.

13. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson got dance lessons from the Jackon! Woo HOO! The Coop CAN dance!

14. Rebekah

Oh my God, I just put the pieces together when Anderson mentioned Elvis. Poor Lisa Marie Presley, she's had to take her father's death as the King of Rock'n'Roll and now her ex-husband's death as the King of Pop. My heart goes out to her and the rest of Michael's friends and family. today kind of rings some bells with The Day the Music Died back in 1959. i wasn't alive, of course, but that's the first thing i said to myself when i saw the news this afternoon.

15. Rafael 1978

Its very sad to hear the lost of one the most influential pop artist of all time, Michalel Jackson. I see news reports of comments and reactions of fans and love ones here in the US, but as you know, the world also loved him too. I would like to know how the world is reacting to his death.

16. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

Hi Anderson, Erica, and bloggers,

I was shocked to hear of Michael Jackson's death. I love his music .
    He was a fantastic singer and performer and he will always be remembered.

I'm also remembering Farrah Fawcett and her struggle.

Thoughts and prayers for their families.

17. Rose from Calif

The only people who will miss him most will be his three children. What a sad day.
    Missed being a child just was to sad for him. That's why when he grew-up Michael decided to make a wonderland for all kids and mostly for himself. Michael was a man with a mind of a child people never understood that unless they have been there themself.

18. James Taylor

Well Anderson, weird day. Iran is now on a back burner for M.J. sadly Ms fawcett probably would not have eaten up much news time because her passing was expected. I pray that the more truly important story Iran does not get too lost in this shuffle. My Wife Sandy and I send our condolences to the Jackson family,his children, brothers and sisters.May gods grace and strength be there

James and Sandy Taylor

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Sweetie

Life is a mystery and Ibelieve Micheal Jackson did live life to his fullest.. You've made historie and will forever be remember.

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. jacqueline

as a child i remember th absolute breathlessness one felt when watching michael take the stage..trying to imitate his moves spinning around until ones head hurt...i haven't thought much about michael jackson these days..but today i looked at my own 7 month old daughter and thought this is what my mother felt when elvis died..the idea that my daughter wouldn't get to experience the artistry and craft that was michael jackson brought to alive performance...a major part of my childhood died today,,,and yes this thirty year old woman did watch the thriller video today and as when she was five years old spun around until her head hurt

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Caroline, Los Angeles

My favorite MJ song was "Man in the Mirror". I love the gospel sound in it, the heavy bass line, and the lyrics. A great song and wonderfully expressed.

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Martin

Sad day, but good
    I lost my lovely siamese cat yesterday to liver failure, I hope that he gives MJ a gift when they are in limbo together!

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Isabel, Brazil

Farrah Fawcett fought a courageous battle. My thoughts and prayers go out her family and friends.

June 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Maureen T, Canada

Oh when I see young Michael my emotions are everywhere!

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Jasmine

@Anthonia, well everyone's singing voice is different from their real voice. He was blessed beyond anyone with that voice of his...

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  26. nilou

are you going to talk about Roxanna Saberi?

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Elaine

Please, before anyone blames Jehovah's Witnesses for the sad points in MJ's early life, they need to understand that his mother was/is a practicing member, but his father–the one whom Michael associates those sad and saddistic childhood memories with–was not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. His mother had a close bond with her son, but had less say in his childrearing–The father took the lead in that and needs to bear the responsibility where applicable. Michael disassociated himself from being one of Jehovah's Witnesses during the "Thriller" time period...choosing the pathway to stardom, fame, fortune and being in the public eye over everything else–and it let him down very badly it seems. I do not believe humans have the capacities (physically, emotionally, or mentally) to withstand the demands of "superness" and fame...i.e., Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, etc. I feel very sorry for Michael, his family and trusted friends. There is a lesson in this life story for all of us.

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Ro

I Am truly sad, I wish we could have had a few more years of MJ. My two year old dances to thriller as my father did when he was a young man. Makes you think about the legacy he is leaving behind. RIP

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. ~cowgirl~

Hello fellow bloggers...today was a very sad day..we lost a classy starlet with a beautiful smile and a HUGE heart and will to survive...and we lost the "King of Pop"...a very troubled ,sad and lonely,but extremely talented man..my condolences and prayers go out to the families who lost their loved ones...please all say a prayer for the families these 2 stars left behind....they were someone's child,or love or friend...not just our entertainment.
    Anderson,we love your show n watch u every night,but I'm disappointed in your crew for showing that pic of MIchael..what if that was your dad,or your brother,or your son in that photo?? Just because they're famous doesnt mean we have the right to take away their dignity...Shame on u,Anderson...that wasnt right.
    May God bless all who read this...have a nice evening and treasure your loved ones..u never know when they will be gone.~Cg~

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Lovely tribute from Tom Foreman. Well, just like Elvis, we will never have to see an old Michael Jackson.

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Sandra Robertson, GA

Anderson, I remember watching CNN's coverage of James Brown's funeral in Augusta, when Michael Jackson took the stage and spoke of James Brown being his greatest inspiration and how he would stand in front of a mirror and imitate the dance moves of Brown. I can see a little boy standing in front of a mirror in the future and imitating the moves of Michael and getting it just right. But the voice will be really, really difficult to imitate. He had such a beautiful voice. What an entertainer.

June 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Lori from IL

Michael Jackson was a huge talent and while fame came at age 11, it never comes without a price, and Michael Jackson's turbulent life is proof of that. I hope he is finally at peace....

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Fay - California

"Who's Lovin' You" was a prime example of the young Michael Jackson's amazing voice – even as a child when I'd hear that song, I'd wonder how someone so young could sing with so much emotion and maturity.

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Joanne

It's a sad day, but a good day, as me at 46 and my daughter at 9, can reminisce about the good music from Michael Jackson. Something I enjoyed at her age, and now she enjoys it too. That's what a true artist can do!

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Mark

Anderson,
    The pic of Michael Jackson in the ambulance is distasteful. How about showing a little respect for him and his family and not displaying it anymore. Have some class !!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Maura

I am really disappointed that you chose to show the photos that you obtained depicting Michael Jackson receiving treatment in an ambulance on his way to the hospital. While Michael Jackson was a celebrity, he was also a human being who is entitled to be accorded some dignity in his final moments of life. That was a very poor editorial decision on your part and as a result I am refraining from watching CNN for now.

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Melinda Meredith

I am not a celebrity but I must implore the public to refute and boycott media outlets that do not respect the much needed space and peace due his family at this time, especially his children.
    I can see online, the trash-talking and media scope on the negative controversies that surrounded him later in life is beginning already.
    Please remember that at the end of the day, his humanitarian work and loving the world as he did, far outweighs the negativity the world and blood-sucking money extortionist imposed on his life. Let him rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Sue

There are reports on BBC websites that michael jackson was given a shot of demoral for pain and began to feel ill and collapsed.

June 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Richard C

Listen, Michael Jackson's death shouldn't be headline news when there are far more terrible things happening in Iran, North Korea, Somalia, and indeed all over the world. Jacko is a footnote, popular though he was perhaps news agencies could focus on actual news!

June 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. tom mix

jackson took away fawcetts thunder. what a bum.

June 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Anthonia-california

He had a remarkable voice when he was just a kid. crazy to hear a mature voice from such a tiny body.

June 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Patty

Michael Jackson – i dont know why i love you so i guess its human nature, i will not stop till you get enough. remember the time you asked me baby be mine well, i dont want to be just a pretty young thing bad or not i wanna be starting something. now you know what i mean you can tell Bill Jean to beat it .
    from now on you can tell your friends that the girl is mine cause i'll forever be your thriller. black or white i'm off the wall with my high heels on and i wanna knock you off your feet.
    just remember i'll always be there.

June 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Cynthia Jandreau

I have loved Michael ever since they began and it is heartbreaking to have lost him. But there was another icon that passed today also. And yes Farrah's passing was expected and all and Michael's was sudden and out of nowhere, but please let's not forget that she deserves someone acknowledging her among all the frenzy over Michael. Please let's act like she didn't just get swept off the porch.

June 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thriller and Beat It were good songs but my all time favorite Michael Jackson song...Man in the Mirror

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Cathy

Why did you guys show that horrible last picture of Michael Jackson? He's technically dead in that picture. Obviously it's very disturbing. I sincerely don't think it was necessary to show it. Larry King already put it up on his show. I find it very disrespectful. Clearly it's not an authorized shot– either paparazzi or what have you. Please don't put it up again.

Cathy
    Toronto

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Tricia Lee

Picture of MJ in the ambulance was not cool. Have some respect for your audience, the family, and the deceased. There was nothing newsworthy about it – just sensational. Thank you.

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Being isolated is not good for anyone.

Status is like a pyramid...the higher you go the fewer people there are to stand next to you.

Everyone deserves a chance to find that right person....this is why some royalty/nobility (peerage) are hide bound. IF no one really knows your status, they have to like you for you.

Too bad Michael couldn't have found his match, male or female, that could stand by him and share his life and truly love him.

His early songs were great and then he seemed to degenerate.

Sad.

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Some of the bloggers are stating their favorite MJ songs. This is a tough one for me but if I had to pick one, it would be "Human Nature". He was such a brilliant songwriter and performer! I'm glad to see that his songs will continue to "live on"....

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. V

I ao appalled that the picture of Michael Jackson receiving paramedic care was shown on your show. Despite your warning that it was sensitive, it is distasteful. Please do not dignify those papparazzi pictures on your otherwise respectable show.

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Mary

It's hard to believe that someone in my age group has passed away. I brings home to me and everyone that no one is immuned to this possiblity. Michael appears to have been abusing his body for may years and its as shame that it has taken his life. You know what also bothers me is we lost someone else today who fought a brave battle but died, yet tonight I haven't even heard a word about her or her career. And when she is mentioned its almost as if its and after thought. You know that's really sad, it just goes to show how fleeting fame and memories are.

June 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |