June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi all. Sad day for so many MJ fans around the world.

I remember that my little girls loved Michael Jackson. I wouldn't let them watch MTV when they were young but every once in a while I'd let them watch it if Jackson's videos were on, depending on the video.

I loved his music. So fun and full of emotion.

June 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Julie

I'm appalled that you showed that picture, we know he's dead is it really necessary to show his dying/dead body? You're better than that Anderson.

June 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  3. MikeC

Anderson,

Please I was not a fan of Michael Jackson.....but please respect him in death and quit with the pictures of him being worked on in the ambulance and transfering his body. Be better than the tabloids!

June 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Jacksonfamfan

Anderson, I don't think the world needs to see MJ with a tube down his throat being worked on ... possibly already dead. Too many people are shocked and grieving and out of respect for his family, cnn should show some tact and avoid the shock value of showing such a private moment.

God Bless

June 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Isabel, Brazil

@ Erica Hill
    It is very sad losing the King of Pop
    His music changed our lives. The world has lost an amazing singer and dancer

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Betty

My favorite Michael Jackson song was Billie Jean. I also loved Thriller,Beat It and Ebony and Ivory with Paul McCarthy. What happens now with his Lawsuit to stop the selling of his Personal Items that includes his White Glove?

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Mitch

@Gloria
    Thank you! Farrah Fawcett deserves equal coverage.

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Rose from Calif

Mix medication can make a heart work faster. I would question Michael's doctor.

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Autum Whalen

Sorry about Micheal Jackson, but don't forget that Farrah Fawcett also died today.

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Suzane

Anderson, Farrah Fawcett also died today which is sadly not being reported on tonight . I find it sad that during a time that could be used to highlight anal cancer talking points is being completely overshadowed by a pop singers death. My heart goes out to both the Jackson and Fawcett families. Please also mention this sad loss and the ramifications that cancer is having on our society.

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Thulani

I'm seeing African Americans outside the hospital center and none speaking about the loss of Michael Jackson on AC 360 or Larry King. Are we just the people dancing outside the Apollo and the Reagan hospital center?

June 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. kim

It is 27 minutes into the show. one commercial break thus far. not a single word about Farrah. And, I cannot believe that Anderson went along with broadcasting the still photo of Michael in the ambulance.

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Alexandra

I agree with some of the others. It's as though Michael Jackson's untimely, tragic death has overshadowed Farrah Fawcett's long-time battle with her cancer. While Jackson will be greatly missed, Fawcett needs some recognition, too! I'm shocked that she hasn't even been mentioned so far...

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Jennifer

Stop showing the photo of Michael jackson in the ambulance...VERY shameful and disgusting!

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Barbara

What is sad about this is Michael Jackson, like so many other rich and famous people, did not find peace in life. He was never happy with just being himself – whoever that was. As they used to say in the 60's "He never found himself". I feel sorry for people that have lots of money and fame and no real life. Even with his stardom, his whole story is tragic.
    He is at peace now. God bless his family.

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thank you for having Sanjay on tonight to try and break down what may have happened to Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Dodie ~ California

Michael Jackson was so famous, even China just had his death on the news.... Showing how famous he was around the world!

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Cindy

I just wonder what's going to happen to his children? I mean will Debbie get the two that are hers? I bet she'll try!!

Cindy..Ga.

June 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Linda

Anderson

We don't need to see that pic of Michael in the ambulance, Why do the news have to go to the core of privacy. Is nothing beyond the news anymore. Lets try to remember Michael in the way he was.

June 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Martina Ilstad Germany

I grow up with his music,i will miss it.He was the KING

June 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Kevin, New York

I'm a fan on the Upper West side of Manhattan. My neighborhood has turned into an ensemble memorial with Michael Jackson's music being played from cars, storefronts and apartment windows. My upstairs neighbor is running Thriller in its entirety. The scene is both sad and surreal.

June 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think its disgusting that a photographer can take a photo like that when someone is dying. I dont care who that person is that is in the ambulance, that is so disrespectful!

June 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Melinda Meredith

Unbelievable and so surreal.
    Today, the world has lost an incredibly talented, musically brilliant icon. He touched so many lives regardless of the controversy.
    I am saddened we have lost someone who's music gave me so many fun childhood memories.
    R.I.P. Micheal, you will be missed. Bless the children, your own children and so many children you dedicated your entire life to help all over the world.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Benny

What a sad week...
    Ed, Sarah and now Michael.
    What a sad month...
    Iran, Air France, North Korea.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Erica: I love Billy Joel too but it was the "Off the Wall" album that caused some sisterly fights in my family!

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Jasmine

i think the first dance move i actually learned was the moon walk.

My middle school PE class had a dance portion, and that was filled with Michael's moves.

fun memories of class mates trying to dance to thriller.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Sharon S

I have the whole Box set of the Jackson 5, did anyone really realize how famous this man really was? I think Michael made an impact on everyone, we all have our favorite songs to remember him by!!
    prayers go out to his family and his children!

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

My goodness, how did they get this picture of him! Awful, why is CNN showing this?

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Mike

Yes, sad that someone died, but what does it say about us that the entire evening is being taken up celebrating this person who doesn't seem to have done much of anything actually important? He was eccentric, a celebrity, and had lots of money, but what did he do that makes this amount of coverage necessary and interesting? I haven't seen any evidence of it on your show so far. What does this say about us?

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Curtis

The world mainly the white world broke Michaels heart.He was obviously a damaged child,but as an adult after crossing over in the music world,and then giving himself completely being somewhat naive to how nasty and dirty people are.When that set up with molestation charges surfaced it broke his heart,He was not able to deal with the reality that he was not really a King to some.He really though for a while that he had made it.After the scrutiny behind those charges and realizing just how the world really was ,that it does matter if you are balck or white.He really with drew and did not trust to that point anymore,what some people called wierd,was self preservation to some degree..Now if the love he is being shown now
    was shown to him while he lived he may very well would be here now.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Cindy

Erica...my sister got Michael's album for her birthday and I was so jealous I sorta kinda took it and hid it from her and would listen to it when she wasn't home! LOL OK..I did give it back to her! LOL

Cindy..Ga.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Isabel, Brazil

@ Erica Hill

Unfortunately today our memories of the 80s are not so funny.
    It is very sad losing the King of Pop

His music changed our lives. The world has lost an amazing singer and dancer.

June 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Sharon

Michael Jackson was in severe financial trouble, they say? What an utterly disgusting piece of drama for the program. I'm completely baffled that anyone could ever say that.

Try being close to homeless, because you're laid off from work in an economy-driven industry. Michael Jackson never considered searching through the dumpster behind the supermarket, to get something not too rotten to eat.

I'd take his kind of severe financial trouble, I'd take any help I could get.

I can mourn a dead man, but I can't stomach that comment on the show.

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Shahab

This is the most tragic day in a long time: Michael and Farrah die on the same day!

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Haley James

Such a tragic day. Really loved MJ and no one will ever equal his talent in the music indsutry. Just a little fact...the 25th is quite a day for those in the music industry ...

Aaliyah – August 25th, 2001
    Left-Eye – April 25th, 2002
    Michael Jackson – June 25th, 2009
    James Brown – December 25th, 2006

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Holly Poersch

Very shocking day, but even more shocking was the photo of Michael Jackson in the ambulance. Clear violation af Hippa Law. The public does not have the right to see or know everything.

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  37. jacqueline, ny

Sheryl Crow has lived my ultimate dream as a child, to perform with Michael Jackson, but also, like millions of other little girls all over the world, I wanted to marry him, too.

May he finally rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Rose from Calif

I saw in a local station here that one of many groups demonstrating in Iran, will be Protesting and having pictures of Michael Jackson with a American flag on it. Have anyone heard anything about that?

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Heather - Spokane, WA

When I was a kid one of my babysitters tried to do the Farrah Fawcet hairdo on me, thankfully she never took a picture because it obviously didnt work out, haha

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Shahab

The million-dollar question: What will happen to Michael Jackson’s record as the most successful music artist of all time?

June 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

@Isabel those are great songs, thanks for reminding me of The Girls is Mine a wonderful duo with Paul McCartney. I always liked Give Me One More Chance.

Anderson, I'm glad you're interviewing Cheryl Crow, it's interesting to learn that he was creating dances people had never seen before. It's upsetting to me too that his personal life story seems to overwhelm his work as an artist. I can totally see him growing old. Lots of musicians and singers write, record, and perform as they get older.

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Martina Ilstad Germany

Not only the music world will miss him,all my prays to his kids and family.
    This is a verry bad and sad day for Hollywood first Farrah and now the King Micheal.
    I just wake up,i think,there is no way to get sleep again,i will watch your show.
    Here in Germany people sleep,so nobody knows,it will be a big shock,when they wake up.

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Maureen T, Canada

I saw Michael perform with his brothers 3 times in my life! I grew up with Michael and the Jackson 5! I will cherish those moments and I'll never forget what a fantastic dancer Michael was!

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Shahab

As a teenager of a very different generation than MJ, I nonetheless feel a deep sense of loss

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Sharon S

this has really been a day lost Farrah Fawcett now Michael Jackson!! Sad very sad but I still have my Michael Jackson doll from the 80's right after Thriller came out!!
    His music will live on forever!!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish to express my best to Farrah Fawcett's family, friends and fans. May peace be with her family.

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

He had cardiac arrest, not a heart attack. c.a. means his heart beat was irregular or way too fast or too slow and it couldn't effectively move the blood through his body. it's caused by an arrythmia called ventricular fibrillation. Everybody dies within minutes of this happening unless they get defibrillated immediately.

June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Wow, that was a blast from the past seeing Sheryl Crow and Michael Jackson performing! Great interview too!

June 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Mitch

It has always been difficult for me to understand how people can get so caught up in celebrities' lives, seemingly living vicarioulsy through these people. They are people – living, breathing human beings who are not immortal.

June 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. ericacnn

hi, everyone. this day has been surreal, to say the least.
    i remember one christmas my sister got the "thriller" album and i got billy joel. now, i love billy joel still, but trust me, at the time i was uber jealous...

June 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |