June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Barbara in Boston

Please stop with the unending coverage of Michael Jackson’s death. Yes, he was a huge pop star but that was twenty years ago.

I’m much more moved by the fact that Farrah Fawcett today lost her courageous fight against cancer. Please don’t forget her amongst all the hype.

June 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Sheryl Crow was there with Michael Jackson on video.

June 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. tori

I am adding my sadness to the death of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawsett. I grew up with them. I have lots of Michael's music. He sang a array of songs - ones for making you think, love songs and great dance songs. I was so thrilled watching him dance. He was such a great man and so very misunderstood.

I hope the media balances the history of Michael and not give so much time to the troubles he incurred.

I am grateful that I have his music and those memories of all the emotions he brought to my life through his music.

June 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Isabel S.M.

Have no words... I just can't believe it. Mike, take care wherever you are. I'll miss you so much...

June 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

I found out about Michael from this blog – I hadn't seen the news yet and when I got on I came to the blog right off and there was the news. Farrah and Michael – what a sad day for the fans and their friends and family and other loved ones. The fan gathering outside the hospital reminds me of when Elvis died. So sad.

June 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Tamara

Hey Anderson. I will truly miss Farrah, Michael & Ed. All of this is so overwhelming. My heart goes out to the families of these people. They will be truly missed. I grew up watching these people on TV.

June 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. kayjonescnn

Hey 360 bloggers! Crazy day in the 360 newsroom. So sad about Michael Jackson. Sheryl Crow has amazing stories about her time with Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Linda

Thank you Sheryl Crow for memories of Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. dorothy

This is so sad. I think one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to was his. He was an incredible talent. What a tragic loss.

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think everyone liked Michael Jackson in some sort of way.

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  11. michelle paquette

Please keep all the speculation to a minimum; why while remembering such an icon must you remember nostly the negatives in his life.Think about his family and kids. And until there is an authopsy performed confirming the reasons for his death,all of you will look pretty stupid about all your speculation's regarding his death. why can you not be kind @ least till the facts are known. Profile his accomplishments instead of all his hardships

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. linda

Both Farrah and Michaels deaths are shocking and upsetting. While Michael certainly deserves all the attention he is getting I cant help wondering how the people in Farrah Fawcetts Life feel knowing her death is being pushed aside other than the now and then mention of her. Both lives will be greatly missed.

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Isabel, Brazil

Today the success is so fragmented, volatile or ethereal among millions of people that there isn't more space for an artist as big as Michael Jackson. He is greater than the sum of all.

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Karen

I was saddened to hear about the passing of Farrah Fawcett today. She was such a brave woman. I was also disheartened to hear that her death was so ignored in the media given Michael Jackson's sudden death. I turned off Cooper's show when he announced a two hour show on Jackson. This seems unbalanced to me. I am sorry for Michael Jackson's family too, but equal coverage seems respectable to me.

June 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. P.Hunter

We appreciate the news coverage of Michael Jackson on this very sad day but what about coverage for Farrah Fawcett?

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Christine Fowler

i will always "remember the time" you "rocked my world" and gave me "butterflies" now i'm "speechless". a great man in so many ways will be missed eternally, for there is no one like him nor will there ever be. He is the King!!!! R.I.P. Michael Jackson

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Anthonia-california

@Vickie- I think people may have forgotten about Farrah Fawcet's death since everyone is focused mainly on Michael's. But i just pray for both families and the two icons that shaped the pop culture.

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Anita

Sad that the media seems to have forgotten Farrah Fawcett died today. She was a very brave women who fought a very long and hard battle with a rare cancer and did it with such grace.

Sorry that Michael Jackson died today. He was a musical genius.

Please dont forget to honor Farrah tonight.

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Cynthia, NC

Those video clips of The Jackson 5 singing, ABC, make me smile. I had that song on a 45 record.

And I didn't know Sheryl Crow sang with the Jacksons. It's great to hear her stories.

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Jasmine

I was at an Applebees when I got the notice that Michael was rushed to the hospital. I was shocked then and the response from around the rest of the restaurant....everyone thought it was a joke.

It's incredible how we can think that a person will just live forever...

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Mitch

I'm somewhat saddened by the fact that Michael Jackson's death has overshadowed the death of Farrah Fawcett. Death by illness verses death by drugs (illegal/legal)?

June 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. oscar s-melo

I write from Spain, I cannot belive his dead. He just said one I love you FACE TO FACE in NYC and wont forget that moment never in my life....tears felt down from my eyes. He had a wonderful heart and you could see it trhu his eyes....

I am in shock....Michael u will be always in my familys heart.

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Schandell

I remember getting excited for the premier of all of his videos. No one premiers videos like that anymore. It was on every station, and if you missed you were left out of the water cooler conversation the next day. He will be missed. R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. A sad day with the loss of the beautiful Farrah Fawcett and one of the most brilliant entertainers of all time, the one and only Michael Jackson. RIP Michael and Farrah!

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  25. tashoi

goodevening Anderson Cooper. we have been struck by another tragedy of an icon who is known popular around the world .michael jackson gone too soon may his soul rest in peace. my heart goes out to his three children and his family. this message is coming from the jamaican people.

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Sofia Silva, Portugal

Hello

I still cant belive he's dead. I've never thought that he could die. Can u belive this?
    Youtube is full with videos of Michael. At the end we have his music and listen to it forever.

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

That woman in the video is Sherryl Crowe??

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

The style that Michael Jackson created in the dance was unique and revolutionary.

June 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Sad day today! I was a big fan of MJ. AC360 is doing a great job at showcasing his life.

June 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Tasha

My heart is fulled with sorrow and my eyes are filled with water. We have lost a GREAT LEGEND! I am remembering all of my favorite songs and just in a state of shock.

June 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. josephine

he was a very troubled soul. he must have thought people are stupid. may he finally rest in real peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Martina Ilstad Germany......
    He had under cardic arrest his heart, he had heart attack.

June 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Kristen, MD

Anyone normal good not be as amazing as Michale was at his craft. Fame and all that idolizing people always comes at a price. Just sad.

June 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

A sad day in Hollywoodland - first Farrah and now Michael Jackson. My thoughts and prayers are with their loved ones during this very difficult time.

Always remember to tell your loved ones how you feel about them... we never know what tomorrow holds in store......

June 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

We lost a legend of the music world. Despite all the problems that Michael Jackson had, nobody can deny the contribution he gave to the music, dance and behavior of a generation. Michael Jackson will always be an idol.

June 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  36. jacqueline, ny

Hello all!
    So eerie listening to that play-back of Mr. Jackson's announcement of his farewell concerts this summer. I got a lump in my throat on that day, because I felt then that he would not be with us for much longer. Today when I heard about this sad, sad occasion, I was only partly shocked, but tremendously saddened. Yet another dream to pass away.

June 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Beba S.

What about MJ's kids???

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Bill Graydon

I think the death of Michel Jackson is very sad. I do not think it merits national news coverage as displayed by CNN during the past few hours.

The United States is currently engaged with possible diplomatic discussions with the government of Iran.

The saturation of media coverage, by CNN (and others), has displaced the emergency currently emerging. The death of Michael Jackson does not merit twenty-four hour coverage. More importantly, Americans should be concerned with the outcome of the Iranian elections, and the recent threat from North Korea.

I’m all for “”pop-news.” CNN should deliver something more than that….after all, I’m not watching “Entertainment Tonight,” or am I?

Bill

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Sandra Robertson, GA

This week we have suffered the loss of three extraordinary people, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and dear friends. May God Bless each and every one in the sad and difficult days ahead.

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  40. jorgePE

I have to say how sad is th death of this man, i admire his courage and talent.

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Barbara in Boston

Please stop with the unending coverage of Michael Jackson's death. Yes, he was a huge pop star but that was twenty years ago.

I'm much more moved by the fact that Farrah Fawcett today lost her courageous fight against cancer. Please don't forget her amongst all the hype.

Also, I'm sure Governor Sanford is glad the media spotlight has been taken off him today.

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

His voice was perfect!
    He was a child who grew to fame ... it has never been news to him!

June 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    It's great to see you back, though it's such a sad evening.
    I was stunned to hear of Michael Jackson's death–your coverage has been very moving. He had an extraordinary life–a very gifted family and a unique connection with fans. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by his loss.

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Vickie

The world lost two great icons today. My sympathy to the families of Farrah and Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Cindy

@ Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio...I don't want to be mean but if you don't want to watch this Michael tribute then change the channel. Michael was an icon and did great things for music. If you can't respect that then move on and stop complaining.

Cindy..Ga.

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Liza

Jasmine....no one could've said it better that, "happiness spawned from his music" :))

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Aaron Lopez

A sad day today Anderson. We remember this man for what he did to the music world and to each and every one of us. We miss him already. We love you Mike. Thank you for your incredible music.

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    I am just watching your show
    I am deeply shocked
    Micheal Jackson dies.How is that happen?

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Michael Jackson will be truely missed. The "King Of Pop" is gone. He was a great entertainer. He had a great knowledge for music. His will live on. My best wishes go to his family, friends and fans. "We love you Michael!"

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Jill

What a sad day.
    Anderson, we would love to hear from the Osmonds & Macauley Culkin...

June 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |