June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Kimberly Smith

What shocking news. He was loved in so many ways. My heart goes out to his family and friends, and children. May GOD be with you all at this time of tragedy. There will never be anyone else like Michael, he was a one in a million. I grew up with so many great memories of you Michael. You will always be remembered, and you will be missed dearly !!!

We Love You Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  2. Karen

Besides his music I think his video and dance skills made a BIG
    impression on our generation(51). Kids started break dancing and videos and the choreography in videos went stellar. Also the picture that a ET report er showed of MJ on the stretcher as he left his house is almost criminal It like someone was sitting on the strectcher above him. Poor taste! BET is also showing videos that arent as famous as Thiller and Beat It. Absolutely mindboggling how great they are!

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  3. Penny

I remember seeing the Victory Tour in Vancouver, Canada, with some friends. Best show we had ever seen. Screamed until our voices were just a squeak. RIP Michael. We will remember your dance moves.

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  4. Dameson

I am Completely DEVASTATED !!!

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  5. Ashley

michael jackson was truly the king at what he did.there is no other performer in the world like him...he's a legend, one who i strive to be like as far as entertainment is concerned! i would've never thought HE'D be leaving this soon..BUT will always be loved, and NEVER EVER FORGOttEN!!
    r.i.p mike

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  6. Andres

A true sad day for the fans of pop music. He will always be remembered and his music will live on depite his early departure.

June 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  7. Tenaya

I will always remember Michael Jackson for what he has passionately taught the world about the art of music and giving. I thank God that I had the blessing of witnessing his impact here on earth at only 21 years old. Michael is a true legendary genius.

8. Susannah

Everyone keeps asking whether Michael Jackson could have made a comeback. I don't think he ever left.

He may not have released an album in quite some time. He may not have toured in longer. But no matter what you listened to, where you were, there was a part of him there.

He influenced today's artists, he'll continue to influence tomorrow's artists. I'll always remember him and so will everyone else.

He doesn't need a comeback. He's always here.

9. Susan Johnstonbaugh

I am just sad....

10. Joey

My absolute favourite song and video is his single "Black and White". I could watch it over and over again!

11. Gayle

Heaven has welcomed an extraordinarily special angel today. I will always love you, Michael.

12. Fabiana, NYC

I am so devastated!! I was looking for my star Michael Jackson returns!! and now this?! OMG I still cannot believe it.. I cannott stop crying. He's my Idol star since I was 5 year old. it's so sad. We lost our King but his music remains him alive forever. I love you Michael. xoxo

13. Chris G

I learn how to dance from micheal in the early 70s, and then i taught my daughter how to dance by his old videos. I will always be his no 1 fan and will miss him. I'm 44 and I feel my childhood was taken away from me tonight.

14. Janel Spiegel & Family

Michael's family and friends are in our prayers. However the world feels silent right now. There is no one like him. His talent is unreal and he will live on forever with his music. God Bless Him and all! My mom Elizabeth loved Billie Jean and I remember growing up and dancing with my friends trying to dance like Michael. "Who's Loving You" was amazing. Such a talent and such a tremendous loss. So sad.

15. maribel Fuster

Michael was the real Benjamin Button an old man in his childhood and a boy in his adulthood. I will love him forever.

16. Ambrose Kirkland

I suffer from male breast cancer, so first to lose Farrah, then turn around and lose Michael. I felt so speechless at one point. I will miss you Michael, and I'll keep fighting for cancer victims everywhere Farrah.

17. Noel Jodi Gooden Hunt

Michael was big in Jamaica he never had lue lock . The Caribbean loved him he was very powerful Kaboom

18. Kathi

I was always in love with Michael Jackson back from the Jackson 5 and Off the Wall. Classic Michael Jackson. The best. RIP

19. EARNESTA TAYLOR

With the death of Michael Jackson we have come to the end of a era in music and raw talent the likes that has not been seen since Michael came on the scene.

20. namira

i m just shocked.i always had a wish to have his live concert in once in my life.but may god bless him.

21. Brigette Frayne

Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson left us today June 25,2009
    They will be missed and they will forever be appreciated for their contribution for entertaining the rest of us in our ordinary lives. Entertainers are gifts given to the rest of us, to make the day more enjoyable when times get tough. Wherever their spirits have traveled, I can only hope they can see the appreciation & love everyone is expressing around the world this sad evening. To the parents that gave the world these two incredible people.... as one of the songs written by Micheal.............."You are not alone" Thank you and God Bless Farrah & Michael.

22. Deniz Cecen

I wanna party with u in heaven you are my idol

23. Mitra

The world has lost a true musical genius, and an inspiring performer. Despite the personal challenges he faced, and the awful treatment he received by the many, many people who tried to take advantage of him, Michael made the world a better place by sharing his exceptional talents and his generous philanthropy. As a school teacher, I will do my part to ensure that his music and his message of equality lives on in those generations who will miss out on experiencing this exceptional man first hand. Heal The World.

24. Elizabeth Cooper

When I think of growing up in the '80s I automatically think of Michael Jackson. His music was the soundtrack to my childhood. And I am forever grateful.

25. Dodie ~ California

I have always felt that there was a very deep sadness with Michael Jackson.

He preformed brilliantly as a child to be accepted by his father and that transcended to his fans. But he was intelligent and knew his acceptance was only based on his performance... not who he was inside! I don't think MJ ever accepted himself... and that sets up a profound sadness.

26. Dee Andrews

People can say alot about Michael and the life he led but no one can deny his pure, raw talent.

27. jean kelley, kernersville, nc

I grew up wanting to be farrah. i was about 7 or 8 when she was on charlies angels. my cousins and i would play charlies angels at my grandmas. i was always jill, my cousin robin was kelly, and my cousin jan was always sebrena. farrah was a very beautiful lady. not only was she beautiful on the outside, but on the inside. tonight she is a real angel. the world was better for knowing her.

28. Cesar Delgado - Costa Rica

The king has died, his legend will not.
    The saddest day of the entertainment world. His legacy will stay still forever.

Thank you Michael for your music and talent.

Cesar

29. Renee M.

I am in complete shock right now. I grew up hearing Micheal all through out the house from my older brother. I came to love him. I know he is in a happier and better place. May he rest in paradise.

30. Elizabeth

Wow. I mean, Michael Jackson was just an amazing artist; I kind of thought he'd live throughout my lifetime and reestablish or fortify his title as king of pop. He made a lot of good memories for me, and I'll remember him fondly. But seriously, next week is gonna be hectic with all those tabloids making up stuff about him just for sales. Ugh.

31. Shannon

The world just doesn't feel quite the same without him.

32. Jake

Anderson,

In addition to covering the tragic death Michael Jackson, I would ask you mention Farrah Fawcett as well. We lost two American icons tonight, not one. Farrah's emotional and public battle came to a tragic end today as well.

She deserves to have her voice heard...

33. Maria

We all were blessed to have enjoyed Michael here on earth. May he now enjoy peace in heaven. He was a true entertainer aside from the press who always wanted to report negativity. His family needs to greive and should be allowed to do so without the press involving themselves. This man may have been famous but his life was never peaceful . He wasn't able to get up & go from place to place without being hounded by fan's or the press from the time he was a little boy. I realize he chose this life but it wasn't always pretty. He will surely be missed & respected by all of his fans who truely knew his talents. God be with you Michael.

34. Ferede

I can't believe Michael is gone. Theis beloved Son of the WORLD and the KING of music of all time–a true legend and icon of all time is gone.
    His NAME WILL LIVE FOREVER...

35. Mark shane

I was a child in the 70's and a teenager in the 80's, and having lived those ages in those decades, can say that Michael Jackson not on single handedly revolutionized the music industry, but was the most influential person on me with regards to music and style. I am serioulsy saddened. I can't imagine a world without his presence in it. The world will never again have a true Super Star on the scale of Michael Jackson.

36. Jarmal

I must say that I am just absolutely astonished by his death. As soon as I heard the news of his death, I told myself that this cannot be real, but truly enough it was. I have to say that this truly hit close to home, me and a best friend were just sitting here on the phone crying our eyes out to each other. Micheal will truly be missed.

37. Ana Padilla

I am so devastated. He will be missed. I have always been a fan since I was a little girl. Loved him. Maybe now that it's too late people who accused him of doing all those things can feel bad for making him feel even more lonely. All he wanted was companion and to be a child again. He never meant any harm to anyone. Life is too short and you never know when your turn will come stop and think before you make someone else's life miserable. MICHAEL WE LOVE YOU AND YOU WILL FOREVER BE MISSED.

38. Tyler

It truely is the end of a era so sad!!

39. Patti

I remember my sister and I learned all the dance moves to the thriller video on MTV...I saw him and the Jackson Five at Mile High Stadium in Denver...it's indescribable how much energy was in the place and how moved we all were...

40. Becky

I am 2 months older than Michael. I remember buying 45's of Jackson 5 songs and playing them on my record player over and over. I had posters covering my wall. I just got the 25 Anniversary of "Thriller" for my birthday. It's a sad day for the music industry. There will never be anything like him. He was unique!

June 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  41. candy

I can't remember a time or relationship in my life where Michael was not involved through his music. His dancing became our dancing, his tunes became our love. I will miss him.

June 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  42. jacqueline tucci

My friends and I weren't even alive when Michael Jackson was really huge, but still everyone's Facebook says "R.I.P Michael Jackson", or something similar. It just goes to show how big of an impact he has had on pop culture, amongst people of all ages.

June 25, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  43. Joshua Jones

yea i will miss michael jackson i learned all his dance moves and most of his songs, but i will miss him

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  44. Jasmine Gillingham

I am a 30 year old with 10 years of formal dance training and a 2 year old 'son' who loves to dance. Mj is whom I instantly assoaiate with great dance, coreography, humanitarianism and musical talent , no matter what the accusations against him have been. He must be remembered for who he was as an artist and the momentous affect he has had on not only on my generation but on our children and of those generations to come.

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  45. debra tuna

Micheal Jacksom will be remembered forever, I am deeply saddened.You will be missed. RIP Micheal Jackson!

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  46. derrick

Wow! i still can't believe the king of pop known as Micheal Jackson is gone. He will forever be remembered for all of the good music he created and brought forward to us. The man was a genius from the dances to the hot videos and the cloths he use to wear. I remember he had people putting curls in there hair and wearing shinny shoes. He was the man and he will forever be the king of pop and r&b. A real smooth brother

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  47. Kimberly -Salt Lake City, UT

It is awfully sad to hear of Michael Jackson passing away today. Billions will mourn him. His legacy transcends race,gender,age, and class. His humanitarian work should overshadow his legal troubles.

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  48. Lisa Hodges

In light of his carefully chosen remarks and the tone he used earlier this year regarding his farewell tour and it being his 'final' curtain call...one can only wonder if he already knew at some level that his time was drawing to a close.

How sad it is that legendary art so often comes at such a personally tragic cost.

June 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  49. Jerry Santana (North Carolina)

Long Live The Kings of rock & pop

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  50. T.D.Perry

To MICHAEL,
    As one of your most compassionate and dedicated fan, may your heart and mind be finally at peace. Cast your loneliness, sadness, and hurt aside because you have reached eternal rest, peace, and freedom. Don't worry, you have left your mark on humanity and your legacy is IMMORTAL.

To Katherine, Joseph and the entire family, may the grace and peace that you are praying for reach you immediately through this trying time.

Sincerely,