June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Daniel Z.

I am a recovering alcoholic of 20 years. After hearing Michael Jackson's song, "Man In The Mirror," it inspired me to want to be sober. Thank You, Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  2. Lori from IL

Anderson and Team 360 — thank you for bringing us the total story of Michael Jackson’s life. When talking about him earlier with friends, the “wierdness” is what came to mind — but watching your show tonight, I am reminded of how much I enjoyed his music….. and how much a part of my teenage years those songs were ….. 7th and 8th grade dances (in the early 70's) wouldn't have been the same without the music of MJ

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  3. aammini

I grew up in Rural India and the first and only things that come to my mind about America back then was Michael Jackson and Coca-Cola and in fact most of the Indians back then, knew Michael Jackson if not anything else- about America. He is a real Legend and unique..

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  4. Kathy

My heart goes out to Michael's family. My regret is that Michael did not live to see his comeback be one of the greatest successes in history as I know it would have been. He will never be forgotten

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  5. Jenny

A sad couple days in the entertainment world... Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and now the King of Pop Michael Jackson. His brother looked like it took everything he had not to breakdown in his statement. They named pretty much the whole family as being there except Janet???? My thoughts are with them all: (

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  6. Holly

MJ there will never be another. LOL

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Chandra

The news of Michael Jackson's death was unbelievable.

Michael's "Thriiller" was the first video I seen when the VCR's first came out. We didn't own one but my sister's boyfriend at the time brought over his & hooked it up in the closet (the only place we could watched it).

Michael was a gifted & magnificant entertainer. My prayers go out to his family. May he finally find peace & happiness.

June 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  8. Danielle

My family and I are still in shock, he was a great performer and seek to make the world better with his charity efforts. Condolences to his love ones
    From: Trinidad and Tobago

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  9. michelle cabada perry

Micheal Jackson will always be the king of pop may he rest in peace and may we all not forget what he has done good to others especially children in need god bless micheal and his family

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  10. Melissa

I'm saddened by the Legend of Pop passing today..What a shock..My question is.."What happens to his children now"? Since their mother had given up all rights to them..may he finally have the peace he was always searching for...

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  11. fatima zahra

My favourite song of MJ will always be Man in the mirror... so touching

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  12. Akbar Gbaja-Biamila

The social impact the Michael Jackson had on generations, will always live on. My son is 8 years old and called me today and said "your favorite singer died today, are you ok?" He went on to say that "you were suppose to bring back a picture from London for me", I said I remember. His life was under unfair scrutiny and I pray that he has a place in heaven

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  13. Marian

Anderson, thanks for the excellent coverage of Michael's death. I think in the last analysis his unique sensitivity possibly led to his early death. Sometimes overtly sensitive people have a hard time dealing with life's pressures.

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  14. Genevieve M, TX

In several of my family's videos (now DVDs) from my childhood (the 1980s), I am dancing to Jackson's music playing in the background. I've been watching them a lot since my mother died 2 years ago and marveling at how much happiness his music brought to me and my family over the years. May he rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  15. Margarita Moore

A part of my childhood is gone today. What's sad is that he was so misunderstood because he never had a childhood of his own, but experienced it vicariously through others. He will be missed.

16. Hilda Ortiz, Bronx

Michael Jackson and his brothers brought us so much joy at a time when our country was undergoing major changes. I remember watching the Jackson Five cartoons and growing with them. Michael Jackson was such a phenomenon, the first time I saw the moonwalk and then the video for Thriller, wow, what creative talent he had. As for Farrah Fawcett and Charlie's Angels, you could now be both sexy and smart. Shocking and sad and may they both rest in peace!

17. Joseph Gadula

I don't care what ppl say about him he was great at his music he loved it as we all now.. We all now that he is not he with us in person but he is here in our hearts and mind. god bless his family.

18. Sandi

My heart is breaking. I just cant believe that Michael Jackson is dead. Michael I believed in you when others didn't. You were truly an inspiration to many. I just wish people understood you. Jackson family my condolences and my heart goes out to you. You will be missed.

19. victoria

michael jackson's music is timeless. our children's children's children will be singing billy jean to their children! what a wonderful gift he gave us

20. Caroline, Los Angeles

That lawyer had a lot of insight into Jackson's true self. It's so sad that MJ didn't just go get some help with his issues from childhood.

I just wonder how much he was programmed to be a human-doing without ever getting much permission from many people in his life to be a human being. I know he and his mom were very close. Thank heavens.

21. Monica M. Williams

I heard the news this evening on the way to the gym where I covered a class for a friend. A few of the members stopped by to chat about him. None of us could believe it. I actually started late because of our discussion. Everyone, young and old, had a story to share.

It’s amazing how one man touched so many people.

He will be missed.

22. Frances

I am sadden over Michael's death today. I am from Gary, IN and I remember when Michael and his brothers performed for our first black Mayor, Mr. Hatcher. Several of my brothers and sisters were in the same class with Michael and his brothers at Roosevelt High School. We loved Michael and he will be missed.

23. karen

May god bless his soul and his family.

24. Ronda Schwab

I'm so sad about Michael. We are the same age,so I grew up watching him. Through all the crap, he remained an incredible talent, one I don't think we will experience again in our lifetime. Sad day for those who've always appreciated him for his dancing and singing skills and hoped to see his comeback. Sadly, it reminds me of when Elvis died.

25. sharone

I am truly saddened by the death of music icon michael jackson; michael revolutionized the music industry. My mom grew up listening to the jackson five in the 70's and I grew to love his music in the 80's and 90's. Regardless of his personal life and issues, there will never be another michael jackson. I hope my mom who passed away two months and one day ago today are having coffee and conversing about his music. May God be with his family

26. cruzer

i feel like i justed watch my childhood go away!!!!!!!!! this is a sad day for the family, i just hope everyone understands he has a family and people must respect that.

27. Kaye

My prayers to Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson's families. I've watched all of Ms. Fawcett's movies and TV shows many, many times. She was a classy lady. She really is an angel.

When my son was 10 yrs. old his teacher asked the class what famous person they would like to be. My son replied, Michael Jackson! I thought his father would have a stoke but I understood completely. The kid new amazing talent when he saw/heard it. We still love him. Rest in peace Michael.....be at peace.

28. Moca Couture

Heaven is singing! Imagine the joy and wonderment of Michael's presence there.

29. Mary Ann Tan

micheal jackson music WE ARE THE WORLD the most meaningful song ever sung by an artist with a big heart for poor countries and poor children in every part of the world .He really a true and genuine artist of all time.Here in my country philippine we LOVE him and God Bless him forever.

30. Nona

I grew up listening to Michael Jackson and I remember seeing him when they were just getting started in Indiana. It seems all he wanted in his short life was to be loved by someone. I'm sure his children brought that love to him but I don't think anyone else ever did.
    Michael, you are now at peace, may god welcome you with open arms for all of the good things that you have done behind the scenes.....You are now at peace.......enjoy......all the love you are about to receive from all the angels above.

31. Linda Fure, Montreal

What a sad and shocking day. I feel like a part of my childhood has died too. In Elementary school I remember collecting Charlie's Angels cards with my friends and we would pretend to be them arguing who would be Farrah. My favorite memories of high school was simply Michael Jackson. All my bedroom walls plastered with posters. Watching the Thriller video over & over, & who can forget the 25th Anniversary motown special. It was all we talked about in school the next day. I am crushed.
    We'll miss them both.

32. Michael

Oh.....when they say deaths come in threes...these are the three I can name by name...Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson! ~Rest in peace~

33. Kevin Fisher Arlington, Texas

Michael inspired so many, he changed an entire generation forever. He was our ELVIS.
    What a sad day! My heart goes out to the Jackson family. My Heart is Saddened. Rest In Peace Michael, We Will Miss You and your music.

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  34. Carmel

I have had only one idol in my life... and that is MJ. Today, with the rest of the world, I mourn my loss. May his soul finally find peace in the arms of the Lord.
    Carmel A. Dominic (M'sia)

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  35. Niko

I am a fan the fact he died made me feel like though he died he would never stop being the king. He would be for ever the best. I rember i was watching tv and saying no thats not true they made fun of him.

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  36. Rey Martinelli, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Good night you all..... will try to get some sleep which I know will be difficult.

This is a day to be remembered! "we are the world........."

Thanks to CNN, thanks to AC and the coverage. Thank to YOU all fans.

BIG BIG LOSS

All we want is a peaceful world, more sustainable..... keep that in mind and spread the seeds around.

Very warm regards from Brazil
    Rey

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  37. Denise

I remember seeing him moonwalk for the first time and being blown away. I still own his Thriller LP. One of my first music purchases. His musical genius is undeniable and I hope that the events that tainted his life in the past few years will be respectfully put aside at this time so that the world can mourn the man who brought the world together through his songs. RIP MJ

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  38. Anita

Hi Anderson. I am in total shock, i being sitting here all afternoon glued to my TV. , my prayers goes out to his kids and the rest of the Jackson family may god bless them all ,his soul is at rest from all the evil thats been done to him.. Hes gone, hes gone

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  39. Amy

Michael was an amazing impact for the musical community. I grew up listening to him and still dance & sing every time I hear his music! We'll miss you.

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  40. pamela

This is truly the saddest day of my life. I have been a fan for many ,many years. I saw michael in concert in 1984 and what an amazing concert it was. The tears are non-stop and i am very sad for all of his family and fans who are just as saddened as i am today. god bless you michael. you are and will always be the king of pop music. xoxoxoxo

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  41. Willa

I'm really supprised with my feelings. I never thought I would have this kind of reaction at 49 years old. I know a little about his lonliness because I was an only child with out real friends. God bless him and I hope his children will know how special he was.

June 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  42. patricia ferdinand

I was 15 when I saw Michael on Ed Sullivan, and I have loved him and his music from then on. What was a special moment for my family was when the Jackson 5 went to Trinidad, my husbands Uncle took them out on his boat and Michael was pictured in the Trinidad Guardian with Uncle Cecil Ferdinand. Uncle Cecil passed in January of this year. Michael we love you, hope you rest in peace, To the Jackson family our sympathy.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  43. Victor

The world has stopped today with the passing of Michael Jackson.
    I idolized him since I was 4 years old, until this day and for the rest of my life. He was an icon and a legend. He paved the way for so may artists of today. I was utterly shocked, stunned and motionless when I heard the news..My heart goes out to the family friends and fans of our beloved King of pop....you are moonwalking in heaven now MJ

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  44. Kellie Balaris-Schulze

I lloved him, I remember in 6th grade we alll wore his clothes. This was when Thriller came out. I do in my heart think he did change a lot about race. My heart is with all his family and children.
    Kellie, Reno NV

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  45. Fay - California

Ben Brafman's recollection of Michael Jackson's complex and sad life was fascinating to hear.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  46. Holly

Such a sad sad day, Farrah and Michael both at once..I grew up watching Michael perform and listening to his music...what an amazing person for so many wonderful reasons, an awesome entertainer and a sensitive and very giving humanitarian..God Bless his family and Children...Rest in peace Michael, love and miss you always!!!

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  47. ashley

im really sad that michael is gone. he was my favorite singer and i really looked forward to meeting him one day with my kids. i always believed in him and i knew from the bottom of my heart that he never did anything to anyone he was innocent of everything and i just hope that everyone would have seen that. im really gonna miss him but he will always be with us all in spirit he just went to a better home. i pray that his family stay strong cause michael would have wanted that and to keep their life moving forward and to stay strong cause he has not left he is still here with us all. we love you michael and we will see you on the other side. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  48. Ginnie Hall - Kansas City

I couldn't wait for July 8th, back in 1984. The Jacksons, starring Michael Jackson, were coming to our town - to Kansas City. Tonight, as I pulled out the ticket stubs from that Victory Tour concert, I was transported to a sweeter time for all of us. The tickets cost $28 a piece - a lot of money for us, at the time, but there was no question that we would attend THE concert of the century. And it was. God rest his soul.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  49. Greg

Rest in Peace Mike U will always live in our hearts

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  50. arlene leach

Rest in peace our angel, Farrah! Your courage will be with us forever! You had true grace! God Bless you Ryan, Redmond, Alana and all her dear friends. God give Ryan and Redmond the strength they need to go on with out her. Your loyalty to her for all these years. Thank God she had you Ryan. And Bless her Father, he has suffered losing two of his children.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |