June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Roxy Rich

Michael Jackson has proven that music is the gateway to uniting a divided world. If we would take a little while to ponder on the effect that one man had on an entire world, perhaps we will recognize how powerful we are as individuals to effecting change in society. His death is unfortunate and the world unites in mourning the death of a legend. May he rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  2. demetrius

I was kid in brazil did know what he was sing in brazil. now live in america for 25 year,and did like what people did to him. his was the best and father all the young pop star now. I hope one day her sister make tour for his fan that was his dream.
    demetrius p from florida always love

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  3. mike nash

Michael Jackson was a product of his own inviroment.
    Who he was though, can be explained in his hit song "The Man in The Mirror". Even though he had some ups and downs, I will remember him as someone who wanted to make the world a better place to live. And he did that with his music. He was "The Man in The Mirror".
    RIP Michael.
    Mike Nash, Omaha, ne

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  4. Michele Abrams

The world is morning a devastating loss; our hearts go out to the Jackson family. Michael’s musical genius delivered joy, hope, inspiration and love to all. Thank you Anderson Cooper for your thoughtful reporting, for telling his story and for celebrating his life rather than only focus on the obvious sadness and details of his death.

June 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  5. Gary

Coming home from work this afternoon at 4:40 pm EST, I heard this very shocking news, sad news that the Micheal Jackson been rushed to the hospital was really jaw dropping to me. Then found out he's no longer with us. Like he was and still is family, forever edged in the music and dance of of our minds forever.
    He's truely now not alone........

6. Nathan

I am not sure if anyone has said this but.. probably the most popular person in the world is dead.

7. Rich

Born in the late 70's grewup in the 80's and was a fan of both Farrah Fawcett & Michael Jackson, the era is finally gone and the world gets a bit darker with great people such as these leaving us:(

8. jimmy hall

i remember when elvis died. I was 10 yrs old. for a moment the world stood still. now as we mourn the death of micheal,it brings back lots of memories such as heart problems for both and at home for both. they were prounced dead moments after the medics arivved. They say deaths come in 3's this week we lost Ed Farra now Mike. My thoughts and prays go out to the family

9. Diana Collins Az

I was truely shocked by the news of Michaels death. Michael Jackson is truely the royalty of music. He is loved by three generations of my family. My sympathy goes out to the Jackson family. May you rest in peace.

10. Jonathan

This is very upsetting for me to hear. I'm only 21 but I have been a fan since I can remember. I love the music, the dancing and the person. I still cannot believe hes gone. R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

11. Martina Ilstad Germany

Isnt it the some tragedy with health and lost money like Elvis,long time ago.They are lonley people,No really good meening friends.

12. Toni Sawyer

I was in the shower, listening to espn radio when I heard the news. I jumped out of the shower and quickly turned to CNN and there it was! I'm 42 and I've seen him through-out his whole career, I feel like I've lost a friend. God bless the family!

13. Zana

Hello everyone. I'm just a teenager, and yet Michael Jackson has influenced me oh so much. I can't believe how much one human being has done for the world. He was astounding, & I hope his music and positive messages continue to inspire forever.

14. Christina

Something touching you might want to mention – Michael Jackson currently has six albums in the top 20 in iTunes with Thriller at #1.

15. Don, WA

I think Michael Jackson had the spirit of a "tree-climber" his whole life – and he was good to the soul I believe. And wow did he sing and dance in life! "We are the World" a better place for him having visited.

And Farrah Fawcett is an Angel tonight, as she has always been.

16. Elisabeth

This is the sadest day ever. Someone who made music is life and brought us colorfull rythm. Michael, may your soul rest in peace. You will always be alive! "King of Pop"

17. Tasha James

It was all so sudden!!!

18. Sandra - Navajo Nation

Thanks for all the memories Michael!! I cannot believe he is died...RIP.

19. Kemberly R

This is truely very very sad, not only one icon lost today but two:( My prayers go out to both familys in this very difficult time..Michael will always be remembered and never forgotten,what he has done with pop music will always live on, he has changed the way people think of pop music; he was the best and will be missed...RIP Michael...

20. Michael Stern

Lucky enough to work many award shows in the Los Angeles area in the 80's and 90's. When talent would come back stage all were left alone except for Michael Jackson. Everyone wanted to touch him and shake his hand. Not just the stage hands but other talent. Everybody wanted to be in his presence.

21. Alberta The Nethetlands

I just can't believe Michael Jackson has died . I'm 19 years and grew up with his music. There'll never be an artist like Micheal Jackson, he was truly an icon. I believe his legendary work wil live on forever.

Rest in peace you'll truly be missed.
    Michael Joe Jackson

Rest in peace Farrah Fawcett

22. Robert Zapien

Legends Never Die and Michael Jackson is by far one the Greatest. He is a human being whom other human beings loved and needed in many ways. His music transcended so many barriers across culturally. He continues to live through all of us. The soul has no labels just a light that feeds the world. Michael had a light that reached so many people in so many ways, myself included. Peace to Everyone

23. Douglas

this is one day in my life I will always remember the king of pop. I never once thought he was guilty of anything. And it just goes to show that if you got money and fame people will try to Robb you of your honor.

24. Caroline, Los Angeles

I think Jackson's frailty and vulnerabilty are part of the reason why his fans adored him so much. I think everyone kind of wanted to protect him and adopt him.

25. Nattada, Houston TX

What a shocking news. I remembered posting my comment here not long ago when he annouced his concert that Michael Jackson never died. I still believe that he will. May he rest peacefully and his family and friends be strong.

26. Lucie Jackson

My heart goes out to Michaels' family at this difficult time. Michael was a true genius in his music and the world will lose a gifted person. As many genius people before him suffered the same fate, I hope he is at peace. God Bless

27. Gail Trinidad and Tobago

My hearfelt sympathy goes out to all the members of the Jackson family. Michael, your music has thrilled the world from one generation to the next. Finally, in death, you have attained the peace that has eluded you for so long............God bless you.........your legacy will live on!

28. Ryan Garich

michael jackson was and still will always be a legend and will never be forgotten. today was a bad day for his friends, family and fans. i do believe it would be nice to show some love to Farrah Fawcett as well. Her family, friends and fans are hurting as well too. these are two great people that will be missed forever and something should be said in her memory too!

29. Shelby

I was eagerly awaiting his come back tour. Let's remember him for his amazing music, his signature dance moves, his dedication to his fans and all of the barriers he broke down.
    May he moonwalk with the stars.

30. Safynaz

To a true star Farah, may your soul rest in peace and I know that you will shine above any other star where you are going.

Your movies will live forever!
    Wishing her family only peace at such a difficult time.
    God Bless

31. Charlene

Utterly unbelievable..MJ is gone...may he rest in peace finally. Another great SUPERSTAR is shining in the heavens...nothing but love for MJ....forever came a day and his music will last forever

32. Latricia

Will miss Michael Jackson so much. Let's do the moon walk!!!

33. rob

Today with the loss of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson the world has changed for my generation. It is such a sad loss of both of these fantastic stars. We grew up watching Charlie's Angels and listening to Michael Jackson, they both were woven into the fabric of our childhoods. The world is less bright tonight.

34. mona

crying, crying, crying. my first idol when i came to the states in 1969 as a 6 year old white girl. born into a musical family was one thing. comming to san fran in 69 and hearing michal was a blow to me that has lasted for 40 years. last night i was on youtube watching michael doing "come together(by lennon)." Michael did more for the world than any celeb i know. not just the music but his sincere emotional and financial generosity to the world.

35. Sharon

How horrible that someone who is so talented and loved could be so lonely.

36. Aig

Growing up in Africa, my friends and I sang and danced to Michael jackson's music. We performed his songs to entertain in school shows. I could not wait to introduce my little ones to his music. I feel like I just lost a part of myself. He really was a legend.

37. sheila robinson

i am sorry to here of michael jackson passing and i have tryed to tell the younger kids what this man ment to so many people right now i fill like i lost some one in my family .

38. Alisa

Whatever a person's thoughts about Michael Jackson's lifestyle, there is no denying that he made a tremendous impact on the pop music world. His talent will certainly be a legacy to be proud of. His talent will be missed.

39. Kim in Ca.

My heart goes out to Michael's children and family. God Bless you during this unbelievably hard time. I will always love Michael and his
    music.

40. Leslie

What we have left of him is all we ever had: his music and his videos. He was a legendary talent who became a pop icon as a child, and thus was robbed of his childhood. The end result was a man who changed the world but was obviously deeply disturbed and unhappy.

41. Iman Kholdebarin

Michael Jackson was an international icon who united everyone from different nationality. He developed a universal language to fill the gaps where vocabulary came short ; The music, the art.

Rest in peace.

42. Kathy

I grew up in Gary, IN. We watched the Jackson 5 for many years at local talent shows. The first record where Michael had the lead was a song called "Big Boy" on Steel Town Records. We have lost one of the world's greatest entertainers. I hope his soul can finally be at peace.

43. Regena Navidad

I have been a fan of Michael Jackson all through my childhood.I love him and his music and dancing.I am sad of his death and I am sad for his family.Out of all of the trouble he has went through he has never tried to hide from it he has always been real and that is one thing that makes him great he has always stayed real.He will always be loved and he will be missed deeply.

44. Danielle McDaniels

I went to my first concert when I was 6 years old and I saw Michael Jackson at Dodger stadium in '84. It's a day I'll never forget and today is a day I'll never forget. There are events that happen in your life and you'll always remember where you were and what you were doing when you look back on them..the passing of Michael Jackson is one of those events. My heart is aching.

45. Diane

Sleep well Michael.....you can rest and know that you are truly loved. My heart is sad...you never had true happiness. You're boy like ways was painful to watched. Your music will never die!!!

46. Joey

I am so saddened by the deaths of three major icons in one week. I grew up wanting to look like Farrah, dancing and singing to Michael Jackson and watching Ed Mcmahon on Star Search. They will all be missed.
    Losing Michael will be felt by the world for quite some time but mostly by his children and close friends and family. No wonder he wanted to spend time with children as he never really had a real childhood himself. Rest in peace all of you

47. Myra

Michael Jackson has been apart of my life since 1969. Watching the J5 on any show that they were on and following him later on. It is a very sad day with the loss of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. May they rest in peace.

48. Tom Campion

I grew up watching MTV and I've seen all of his video's. He is the greatest Pop star of all time. I think he even beats Elvis Presley. He has so many great songs and his video's were always top notch. I remeber as a kid all my simblings and I would stay up late just to see the Thriller Video. It was and still is the best vieo of all time. I feel like I've lost a piece of my childhood. My only is I never went to any of his concerts.

49. Mike

Rest in Peace Michael. Your fans will always love and appreciate you and the phenomenal talent you so generously shared with the world. I saw you in concert twice and will always remember the joy and excitement of those incredible shows. You were truly one of a kind and will be missed. My prayers go out to your family. You have taken a piece of all our hearts with you.

50. Elle

Peace be with Michael Jackson and his family. Today is a sad day. I am in disbelief that the "King of Pop" has died. I am an 80's child and grew up to his wonderful music. He and his music will always live forever in our hearts. We love you Michael. May you now have eternal peace. God Bless.