June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. arun singh

A global singing star, a music genius, a trend-setter, a terrific dancer...he was the biggest star I knew grwing up in India in 1980s. Tributes to him.

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  2. craybee

RIP Michael. with your death a piece of my childhood also died tonight. i always thought you'd figure out a way to outlive us all... but i hope you've finally found the peace you never had in life.

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  3. Rhea Paul

God blessed the world with Michael's incredible talent, his sweet voice, unbelievable dance, and sensitive heart. I will miss him terribly. Thanks Anderson for keeping dignity and respect in reporting this sad and tragic story.

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  4. Kathy Kim

A very sad day indeed...

I said to my son, why would you say something like that when he told me of this news and he didn't say anything just turned to CNN and there it was...

My thoughts and prayers go out to their family...
    May they be strong through out this tragedy...

May both Rest In Peace... You'll forever be remembered...

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  5. jen

still reeling from all that happened today........just a horrible day......

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  6. Tanju K

Michael Jackson left us just before his “last lecture” in London. I hope he achieved all his entire childhood dreams.
    Rest in Peace..

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  7. Dulcie - Denver

I've had a really difficult week at work – seems like as soon as I fix one thing, something else goes wrong. People are unhappy with me.

I read about Farrah's passing this morning and was saddened, but it wasn't unexpected. I'd gotten the CNNBRK tweet about Michael Jackson and a co-worker soon came into my office to tell me he had died.

I'd planned on working late at the office to try and get some things done, but the news just sort of gutted me. I wondered what's the point in knocking myself out if people are just going to be unhappy. I left at 5 with everyone else. I guess people can be unhappy with me over that too. It's just one more thing.

Rough day all around. So very sad. Michael was certainly eccentric, but an incredible talent and showman. He'll be missed.

June 25, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  8. Andrew

Michael, you hold four records: The World's Greatest Singer, The World's Greatest Performer, The World's Greatest Dancer, and the World's Best-Selling Artist. May you moonwalk your way to paradise.

9. AnnMarie Dowden

He came to perform in my Country once ( Trinidad and Tobago ) but i was too young to go to the show, i grew up listening to his music, he was one of the Greatest and i loved him dearly......May his death bring life to others as we take introspect on our lives.

10. Arion Deochan

Gone one but not forgotten: Today is a page in History that reiterate the greatest contribution by an extraordinary artist to the world.. shock of his untimely death... but as he indicated on stating on what he"ll do at his concert.. guess he did it.. " The final curtain Micheal. you really closed it" but unveiled a continuation a to the world.
    I love you Micheal.. May u continue to shine above as you are in our hearts..

11. melissa

This has been a sad day for everyone around the world. What bothers me is that ET has put up some stunning pictures already. His family needs time to mourn his sudden death. The editor at ET should be in trouble for this.

12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think celebrities have any real friends. Everyone is out to get something from them no matter how sincere they seem. No wonder Michael was so messed up.

13. Ryan Means

Michael Jackson is the greatest entertainer of all time. He has influenced almost every aspect of this generations music. I think that when remembering Michael we should look at the quality of his work and at what he has tried to do for the world. His personal issues are none of our business, I just know the joy he brought me.

14. Lori from IL

So Anderson - you "Ease(d) on Down the Road" in a car with Michael Jackson at age 10 - what a great memory - thanks for sharing.....,

15. Gary

Thank you Michael for sharing your talent with the world. You made life interesting for us all. Now you are forever a star. God bless you.

16. Anna

Michael Jackson was so much a part of my childhood. I'm very sad as I sit here tonight watching the CNN coverage. My 5 year old daughter ran in the living room and asked me who was Michael Jackson. I will be getting out my old 45's this weekend.

17. Patty

The more I hear about Michael Jackson, the worse I feel for him.

18. Sandra G-Brownsville, Texas

When I heard the news, I broke down in tears. I called my husband crying in disbelief.
    Michael Jackson dead seems like an oxymoron. How can an icon really die?
    Sadly, his physical body died, but his spirit, legend, memory, and music will be with us forever.

19. Monica Jackson

This is a huge loss. Michael Jackson was a pop culture icon/legend. It is so sad to see the news coverage focusing on the controversy. He was one of the most influential entertainers of all time. He made everyone aware of what was happening around the world. He made everyone want to help others. Now the only thing we can do to continue his legacy is keep trying to Heal the World.

20. Diesta

The loss of Fara Faucet is such a great loss too! It is so ironic that we all lost two icons. May they both rest in peace.

21. Angela Watkins

Tonight my heart is filled with incredible sadness for a man who truly had a deep passion for the human race with a sincere desire to eradicate our world of all prejudices. He had a God given talent that served us all well. He was an asset to our entire culture and loved by many..

22. Melanie,N.S.Canada

so sad to hear of the death of a legend...I have home video of my daughter at the age of 10 doing her version of Micheal's "Will you Be There"from the movie "free Willy" still enjoy his music...my heart goes out to his family

23. Mark shane

Please, I beg you, no more Jeff Toobin and his smug comments about accusations about Michael Jackson. I'll remind you Mr. Toobin, Michael was aquited. It's time to honor Michael Jackson and the way he revolutionized the music industry, not trash him so soon after his death.

24. Sanderson

I am so upset beyond belief. You would think he was my own family member. I have sort of a connection to Michael because he lived not to far from me near the Illinois/Indiana border. I knew where he use to live, I have many many records of his early days and he was the buzz of Chicago long before he came to California. The only thing I see right now is him as a sweet little adorable boy. I am only five years older than him but I remember him and I will miss him and I hope he is at peace.....a much deserve peace. I know this site is about Michael but let's not forget Farah because she and Michael left together.

25. Traci Obrien

Thank you Michael, for every thing you've givin us. Im sorry you didnt seem to get anything in return. I will always love you

26. Julie

Everyone loved MJ, but where is the mention of Farrah? Ryan O'Neal?
    it's a sad day for these families as well!

27. Paula

At age 15, in 1985 at the Mile High stadium, in Denver, Colorado, I saw Michael perform live! It was my very first concert and one I will NEVER forget!

The only reason my parents let me go was because the company my father worked for, gave him 2 free, 7th row tickets!

How lucky and now how BLESSED today I feel, to have had that opportunity! I will always remember and cherish those wonderful memories and wonderful show Michael put on that night in Denver!

We will miss you Michael. Rest in peace love!

Paula in Virginia

28. sara

so sad... especially if you grew up in the 80's.. at the apex of his career.. feels like a part of my childhood is lost

29. mzmazz

Tonight I willl moon walk, with bad knees, a rotten lower back and flat feet, across my living room floor, to honour the life of a pop icon.R.I.P. Mr. Jackson, my you find the peace in the next life that eluded you in this one.

30. eric

hard to believe! i grew up listening and watching MJ, and have been a fan ever since. i was so looking forward to the london concerts. may you rest in perfect peace...you were truly a legend

31. Tricia

First ,I would like to send my prayers out to the Jackson family. It is not easy when a love one pass away. I would like the family to know that Micheal have created history for our generation and generations to come. We have been blessed to see his talents and his God given skills. I want the family to know that Micheal will be truely missed and we shall "Remember the times".

32. Jim

I'm wondering what the reaction of Diana Ross is to Michael Jackson's passing. Isn't she the one that introduced the Jackson 5 to the world?

33. fabiola

i'm mourning a legend... honestly the first legend i really can relate to. being 28 years old, my first memory of music was watching micheal on tv. i even remembering saying i was going to marry him, he was and will always be my hero.

it's sad day and many of us, we are all in shock but like all who come in this world to make a difference, to touch and move nations...he was taken from us too soon, but his music will live on forever.

please speak of him kindly...respect his art!

34. Cindy

My Prayers and Thoughts are will Farah Faucett's Family for their great loss. She was a great actress and will be missed.

35. Jen,Detroit MI

Michael was such a huge part of my childhood. His bad tour was the very first concert I went to. It still doesn't seem real. I can't help but to think we treated him badly towards the end. He will me missed by many!

36. arlene leach

Michael Jackson! Anderson! His music and talent will live on forever with us! After the abuse he and his family suffered under his abusive father! Then his fame! I can understand his lonelyness and being so unusal soul! He is now at peace.And who are any of us to judge. Rest in peace Michael. God Bless all of his family, give them the strenth they need at this sad sad time.

37. Lavaye-Phoenix

All three generations of my family's hearts are aching, that says a lot about the magnitude of Michael Jackson's talent.

38. Jennifer Mims

I loved Michael Jackson. "Off the Wall I believe was my favorite album. I loved ALL of his music. I pray that he is saved and his soul is in heaven. Bless him Lord, now he can really rest. I wish Jayda could of had a chance to watch him perform.

39. Ita G.

This is a very shocking and sad day. I still can't believe it.
    Michael Jackson was and still is the greatest of all. You'll be missed!! We Love You!

The King Of Pop will always live in our hearts!

R.I.P.

40. Venecia Fernandez

It's a very sad day in the World, I feel the same way when Elvis and Princess Diana died an empty ,sad feeling. I pray for his kids and hope that they will be well taken care of. God bless him for giving so much to us.

41. Yolanda, Wildomar,Calif

im truly sad by the loss of 2 great icons. Michael was my first performing crush and concert I went to in 1972 at the Forum in Inglewood , Calif . Farrah is at great peace and no more pain now . I pray the Lord greeted them both

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  42. Christine

I am watching shocked, how could this be? So young, so talented, more left to give to this world. Michael was my mentor for the dance and appreciation for music. He was my child hood sweetheart..although unrequited:) His ability to give his complete self to a performance was awe inspiring. Your music, performance, creativity will live forever! God Bless...I hope you have found your peace. xoxo

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  43. Peggy Davis

I still can't believe this day! My heart is heavy and my mind just can't process this yet. June 25, 2009....RIP – Farrah and Michael. Ed McMahon is there too....saying "heeeeeeerrrrrs....Michael!" Sending my heartfelt condolences to all the families of these great people. God Bless them and may they rest in peace!

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  44. tom

it's not what or who are ,it was what you gave to me and the rest of the world you are our elvis thank you

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  45. Travis Ruggirello

Michael's videos inspired me to be a dancer/performer, this is a sad and shocking day in the dance community

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  46. Prof. Dumdum / Philippines

Michael Jackson... He was a leader of his time in music and in his own simple way. His charm and talent acts as an influence of change. we could not deny the fact that Michael Jackson have changed the world through his music. Now that he's gone, there can be no other Michael Jackson to replace him but his influence stay with us all. May you rest in peace Michael, and from all of us here in the Philippines and around the world, "Mabuhay!"

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  47. Ricardo

let me say some words about him:

He left us the best of him... so many millions of people grew up with his music, "You gave us so much when we needed it", thanks Michael for make me a musician, without your songs I couldn't have find the joy of music.. God bless your soul Michael

Rest in peace

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  48. Michael

I have had the pleasure of seeing The Jacksons in concert 3 times. I had not seen Michael Jackson as a solo artist but The Jacksons did put on one of the best shows. It will be a shame to me as his noteriety wane as his difficult years for the oddness over the music. Michael will always be remembered. Rest in peace....Go with God, Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  49. Cathy Durrett, Connecticut USA

In 1981, our son Scott idolized Michael. He had the total outfit, red and black jacket, glove and the moves. Our son could dance like Michael and had us all quite in love with his music and commitment to life. As a family we saw him live in Comiskey Park in Chicago. What a talent. The voice, the athleticism, the creativity and adrenaline was so inspiration. We love you Michael and our prayers are with you and your family. I have some great photos of our son I need to post as he mimicked his idol.

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  50. suely

In will miss Michael and may god forgive all those who leached off of him. Michael was an inspiration to me and helped me with his music of complex emotion and deep loneliness. I love you Michael!!

June 25, 2009 at 11:29 pm |