June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. April Robinson

This has to be a hard week for stars such as Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Christina because not only did they perform with MJ but they were on Star Search with Ed. Two people to whom has in some way shaped their careers. I wonder what their thoughts are at this time.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Lori

Farah was a brave and beautiful woman. I am so sorry that she lost her fight for life but very glad that she is not enduring the pain and humiliation of that disease.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Jennifer

When I was in junior high our librarian was a huge MJ fan and showed us the making of Thriller. I can't believe it... Micheal's gone.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Anthonia-california

I believe that the media drove Michael to his brink of death, kinda related to Anna Nicole's death just a few years back..

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Betty

I grew up listening to and loving his music. He was only 1 week older than me but I adored and idolized him! He was a Great Singer/Entertainer and he will be greatly MISSED!!! My heart goes out to his 3 Children and the rest of his Family. Heaven just got a lot Brighter and this World a little Dimmer. From:Betty in S.C.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Jasmine

Michael Jackson's music was a brilliant cornerstone in the development of music across the world. It's not that he is a celebrity, but he helped music get a comeback.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Ken

I'm not a starstruck type of person, but MJ was a large part of my youth. I did not idolize him, but I remember a dance in elementary school a couple of years after "Thriller" came out and we had a poster of him adorned in front of the stage.

He may have been strange, but no one can deny his music. Even the music in his later years was quality. It just did not sell as well as "Thriller", but in comparison to other artists' sales, he was still producing successful albums. Even "Invincible" was quality if people really listen to it.

We all have to leave this Earth at some point, so this was inevitable, but it would have been great to see him perform live just one more time.

June 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Antonio

....is any picture of Michael Jackson with Farrah Fawcett together ?

very sad lost , both R.I.P.

West Hollywood ,CA

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson
    What is your favorite song from Michael Jackson?

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Athena

Michael Jackson is the most prominent example of how money cannot buy happiness. This is a sad day.

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Kelly

What a terrible day. My heart goes out to everyone who lost someone meaningful in their lives. 🙁

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Stephanie N.

I am in shock and dismay about the untimely death of Michael Jackson. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I am also appalled by the medias instantaneous grasp to point out all of the bad things that has happened in his life. Also, the family attorney's rage to point out wrongdoing. This man just lost his life! Where is our compassion as human beings for this huge loss to music and mankind? I hope that the press can lay off of the publicity of this tradegy and give the family the much needed privacy that they deserve. What business is it of ours of how and why he passed? Just know that it is so and be respectful.

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Helen

my heart dropped when i heard this tragic news. RIP Michael Jackson. You will be remembered forever for your brilliance.

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Isabel, Brazil

@David, Indiana

Yes... Michael Jackson died (Why I can't believe it?)
    Seeing a lot of images so live of Michael Jackson, it's difficult that his death materializes is inside me.

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. CAROLYN J

Good evening anderson and erica,

wow im in shock, unbelieveable, anderson remeber when you did
    your show in march about his comment you showed so much class
    by not saying any thing bad about micheal jackson...... i must say
    as a journalist you are tops...... i watched larry king live when he gave
    i believe it was some type of anniversary show and he would not show
    micheal jackson picture which was kings greatest interview............
    i have been a fan of micheal jackson since the begining.

my prayers go out to micheals children and family, and his fans.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Michael, Toronto

I can recognize some limited upset over the fact that Michael Jackson died today. I will also share some disbelief that it is overshadowing Farrah Fawcett’s death – I feel she is a more important icon and figure of fame. I suppose that I only saw Michael in the flash of a camera and push and crawl of the paparazzi. Admittedly, I did YouTube “Thriller” today and shared it with my kids – that was something important 25 years ago.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Connie Smith

It breaks my heart that Michael passed away today. There will never be another performer like him. My heart goes out to his children and family.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Marla

This is wonderful coverage about Michael Jackson, but what about Farrah Fawcett who died today as well.

I have cancer myself, and admire her for all she put out there for all of us to see. I think you should be covering her struggle as much as you are covering Michael Jackson.

What you have been talking about regarding Michael Jackson is gossip, Farrah, story is something hopefully all of us with cancer can learn from. More than 50% of the population of the US has one kind of cancer or another.

Please cover Farrah's story, all of us with cancer need to know as much as we can.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. cadijah

too sad to lose another legendary icon. its very sad to see him go but my heart goes out to his three chidren and his family may his soul rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

"Liberian Girl" is one of my favorite songs..and "who is it"

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Aaron Lopez

A sad day Anderson. I was at work when my co-worker blurted it out that Michael was dead. In shock i stood there with nothing but tears coming down. Only remember what this man has done to the music world everywhere.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Anthony Perconte

I guess Billy Joel said it best "Only The Good Die Young"

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. starr formerly known as vincent

I noticed talk earlier about how Michael J. was the 1st cross-over star. It's true..Michael's interest in charities and his fantastic music & especially his dancing made him one of a kind!

There were, of course, other distractions, however we (my family * friends) will always remember him for all of the good that he did and all of the firsts that he created.

I'm so sorry he will not get the chance for his comeback tour (and retirement tour). We will never know what else he had in store for us.

June 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Fay - California

I am saddened to hear of Michael Jackson's untimely death – he and his brothers were a major part of my childhood – my first concert was The Jackson Five back in the 70's. Although some of his behavior in his later years was perplexing and frustrating to witness, I will always remember him as that cute little kid with the amazingly mature voice.

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Fay - California

I am saddened to hear of Michael Jackson's untimely death – he and his brothers were a major part of my childhood – my first concert was The Jackson Five back in the 70's. Although some of his behavior in his later was perplexing and frustrating to witness, I will always remember him as that cute little kid with the amazingly mature voice.

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Isabel, Brazil

It is important to note that Michael Jackson was not only a singer, he was a performer. Michael sang, composed, danced, he recorded video amazing and original – Michael appeared at the time of the birth of MTV, and the music channel probably would not have achieved the same success if not for him.

Michael Jackson revolutionized the concept of the video clip.

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Cindy

I feel the saddest for Michael's three children. They have lost the person that means the world to them and that will change them forever! I hope they have a good support system to help them through this.

Cindy..Ga.

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Rose from Calif

Iike they say, " it very lonely on the top".

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Connie

I just want to know Why is it that the reporting of Micheal Jackson death is so massive, and the reporting of Farrah Fawcett's is just tid bit reporting. I mean this reporting is going on now for almost three hours and Farrah had almost 15 Minutes.

June 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Tom Jackson, Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Its a very sad day today for the music world, as well as the very beautiful Farrah Fawcett. R.I.P.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Evening AC, Erica, 360 staff and bloggers,

It is truly a shame for someone so talented to die so young. You can't refute the impact he had on the music world. I remember singing to his songs as a grade school kid with my transistor radio. Rockin Robin.. tweet... And danced to his thriller album as I was graduating from high school and going to college. It is a shame that his life took such a weird twist after that but you must admit he was so very talented and to still have so many fans is amazing. Such a shock.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Does anyone think drugs were involved?

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Carladenise

I am torn between listineing to the radio and singing and watching the news and crying. The world will never be the same. Believe it or not, Michael Jackson's music helped restore my best friend's memory after suffering a coma in 1989.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson

Thanks!

It is impressive as fast you did a great special about Michael Jackson

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Afonso Silva, Germantown MD

Michael inspired so many, he changed an entire generation forever.

What a sad day! My heart goes out to the Jackson family, I pray that they will find the strength to cope with their loss.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. I was stunned by the new that Farrah Fawcett passed away today and then was totally floored to hear that Michael Jackson was in the UCLA Medical Center and then that he passed away too. My thoughts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with both their families.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

While watching the news I was remembering when I was 7 and in the 1st grade when Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ video premiered on tv at night and my parents allowed my brother and I to stay up late to see it. The next day going to school it was the big thing that everyone was talking about and asking everyone if they watched it the night before. I think right now that its funny that something as simple as that created such a hoopla for a bunch of 1st grade kids but as an adult you then realize that you saw music history. That is one thing I will never forget.

June 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Brendan, London Ontario

Tonight the "King of Pop" is with the "King of Kings" and Heaven has a new "Angel"

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Felicity Knowles

Who doesn't have a place on the soundtrack of their lives for a Michael Jackson song? He crossed the lines of race in the 80's and was the highlight of the decade in the pop world. Despite the eccentric lifestyle that overshadowed his art he was a legend .
    May god bless his family with a gentle healing of their hearts while they morn his loss. And may his gifts never be forgotten.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

I wonder how many people will soon come out of the woodwork to tell "how he really was". I feel very sorry for how used and abused he was. He was obviously always surrounded by the wrong people and those people will talk trash to make money off of him now.
    I will not buy those mags!

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  41. SG

Im so sorry Anderson, Michael was close to a lot of our hearts.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  42. John Harmon

I find the CNN 24/7 of the death of Michael Jackson to be a story that deserves a 5-10 lead-in, if that. I have dipped into CNN coverage several times this evening, and apparently there is nothing else going on in the world. The other cable news networks are no better.
    Apparently there are no wars in the world, no economic recession, and no political or business news to be covered.
    My TV set is now turned to off.
    When CNN decides to once again cover the news, please send me an email.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  43. An

Hi Anderson.

Hi AC. 360

Wish Michael Jackson has a peaceful remembering times.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love his dance so best!!!!! he danced on moonwalk "Thiller" I picked my favorite video!

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Rose from Calif

Hi Anderson

So, sad to hear about Michael, and Farrah. Love Michael work and people never understood him. May God be with him and Farrah.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this. The United States is a celebrity obsessed country.

June 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Sharon

One of my fondest memories of spending time with my father was Oct. 12,1987 for his 50th birthday. I was 25 at the time and surprised him with a birthday present of taking him to the Michael Jackson concert at the Capital Center in Landover Maryland. He had been concerned that he would be the oldest person at the concert and was amazed when he saw three generations of families (grandparents, adult kids and their kids) in line. It wasn't just a concert, it was a "show". It was the most incredible show I have ever seen. My father loved it and when I asked him what was his favorite part, my father said "I love it when he does that monster thing". Of course he meant Thriller. My father passed away a year ago and I thank Michael Jackson for that wonderful memory and will cherish it always. My heart goes out to the Jackson Family.

June 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I absolutely could not believe when I turned on my computer when I got home from work and saw that Michael had passed away. I hope the autopsy gives some sort of results so that the Jackson family can have a bit of peace.

June 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

My favorite songs of Michael's are 'Billie Jean' and 'Smooth Criminal', they both have distinct sounds to them that make them sound great

June 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

The morph ... was fantastic! The novelty of the season!

June 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm |