June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Manny Lopez

Michael was a victim of his own innocence. He lived, breathed and embraced innocence. He gave to children not only what he never had but also what they will never have. I pray God remember the good he's done and forgive his mistakes. We all need to do the same.

2. joey from New York

Today, as i came in from work here in Brooklyn, NY i heared a passing car here blasting Michael's song "You Are Not Alone" i was like wow this brings back memories so i went online to You Tube to play his songs and then i saw a comment on the song stating "we will miss you Michael" i said to myself-Wait isnt he still alive? so i went to Google and typed in Michael Jackson and it took me straight to Headline news about Michael died right now. i indeed wanted to share this story with all of you.

3. Heather Brown

We have lost a true American treasure. He had an unsurpassed talent, and he was such an amazing human being. We are devastated.

4. Ravyna, Singapore

Its really shoicking to hear that Michael Jackson has passed away. Our generation and the future generation have definetly lost an icon especially to the music industry. Im sure if he were still alive, he would have made more incredible music

5. vonda bellante

I am an American Service Member currently stationed in Germany. We are just waking up here and the news of Michael Jackson' s Death is stunning. Michael was the first...for music, video, entertainment. The first concert I ever attended was a Jackson Concert and I was then and remain mesmerized.

6. jerri morgan

hi this is jerri i have been a fan of michel jackson ever sience i was born i it crushes me to now that he is dead. i do not wont to accept it but it is true i can rember when i was littel he was my super hero.and he will never be dead in my heart

7. liz jones

Micxhael Jackson fulfilled his purpose on earth like no other in the entertainment arena. I will forever treasure his gift to us. God bless his family. Good-bye Michael, your concerts were B-A-D! xoxoxoxo

8. Elaine Herman

I grew up in the 80's on Michael Jackson's music-so many fond memories of me and my sister singing and dancing, covering our bedroom walls completely with magazine images of him. I am in shock and utter disbelief. He truly was and always will be the King of Pop. Rest in Peace Michael Jackson. We love you!

9. Eugene Khariton

Despite his frequent unconventional tactics and criticized personality, Michael Jackson was and will continue to be a major part of our history. Although his story may never be truly known, his death is yet to truly sink in. We spent so much time scrutinizing his character that we never appreciated him as much as we should have. I only regret that I, being almost twenty years old, will never be able to stand in his presence at one of his performances. He was a creative genius, and that should never be forgotten. Rest in peace.

10. Serena

I was raised on micheal's music....OMG he is the king of pop.....I cried when i heard about him,I was at work...Funny how god works....Hw will be missed..I love you Micheal

11. Ritesh

Sad news for a person who created some of the greatest memories in my childhood & adolescent years.

I can't believe the way the media is mentioning all the negative aspects of his life only hours after his death. Unbelievable. Says more about the news organizations & newscasters than the actual subject.

12. Charles Hogan

My deepest condolences to the Jackson family. This day marks the end of my youth. I was born in 83 and Michael provided the soundtrack to most of my life. His countless contributions to the musical culture of my life will live on, and I will do my best to see that he is remembered for the light and love he shared with this world. Thank you, Michael.

13. Galena Senneh

I got the news when I left work. I turned on the radio and heard the shocking news. I cried all the way home. I have always loved Michael Jackson, and always will. The Thriller album is very much apart of my childhood. He was the greatest and will be missed. There will never be another Michael.

Love you

Always and Forever

Galena

14. kay

We Grew Up With Michael Jacksons,Even Though We didn't Know Him We loved Him .He Will Be Missed

15. Rachelle

A very sad day. My prayers are with the Jackson Family. Michael will be missed. I have nothing but positive memories of Michael. His music really touched my life... God bless him.

16. Andreas, Europe

this is like the sadest week. so much death, the entire week... and now Michael

17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I do agree with you, it impressed me so most his to remember Michael Jackson, I like to say thank you for coverage live of Michael Jackson... what memory for you to remember him in the past years ago.

18. Michele

I have such extreme sadness for Michael; what he must have gone through in his life, its so unfair. I grew up with him; this has left an empty spot in me. I cannot imagine the pain imparted on his family. Michael is in a place of peace now.

19. Natasha Chumber

Michael Jackson was a very talented man who was a perfectionist in everything! The truth is; he was a very lonely man, who needed a little love, which he never received! Not from his famly, or friends. Everyone just wanted to take from him, and never be there for him. He wll dearly be missed, and "god be with him, and let prayers take care of the rest".

Biggest fan,
    Natasha from Ohio

20. Karen

The world has lost a great man, musician, and humanitarian. I will always remember him and his great music. I am so grateful that he was in our lifetime....and now, I bet, he's singing with the angels. Thankyou, Michael, thankyou.

21. Sienna Modell

What a tragedy! I will remember Michael Jackson always for his musical genius and his service to others (We are the World, United We stand). It is sad that there was so much scandal in his life, which nevertheless has an effect on a person's health.

22. Todd

Another grown-up suburban white kid of the 80s says, "Thanks, Michael."

You gave us songs of life. Your music, words, and spirit will live on and on in our hearts.

MJ, you are not alone . . . .

23. Laverna - Canadian Arctic

From the Canadian Arctic and around the world, we are saddened by the loss of Michael Jackson. May he finally rest in peace. Only God can judge the life he's lived.

24. rubens

my name is rubens from haiti but live in canada.was at work when i heard that sorry. i love michael jackson so much since i was 10 years all peole who knows called michael even now my co workers wont let me know that. peace for michael and codoleances to his family.

25. Tonton

today have to be the saddest day on my life, i was at work when i heard the news and i couldn't stay. Jackson is a legend and he on the top like Bob Marley and James brown to me June 25 should now be a special holiday

26. Jan Southern

Michael Jackson was much like Vincent Van Gough: a soul much too beautiful to survive in our imperfect world.

27. Teresa

A part of my childhood died today. Michael Jackson was a very important part of that. My prayers are with the family.

28. Andrew

Michael Jackson, you hold a special place in my heart forever, and your music lives on and on. I love you Michael, and you will be remembered forever!

29. juanita harding

This is such a sad day. I remember when I were 9yrs old and new to America. I never knew who Michael Jackson was but I soon learned that he was a good singer. The King of Pop I will miss him. I love his music, the memory of him on mtv performance with N'sync was awesome and he will forever be missed. God Bless and Keep him in neverland for he loved the world.

30. SONSHINE

I remember watching the Michael Jackson cartoons as a young girl in the 70's. He brought so much to the world of entertainment!

RIP Michael! You are one of the GREATS!! 😉

31. Giselle

I feel as if a huge part of my childhood has died. When I was little girl I wanted to be Farrah Fawcett. I always thought she one of the most beautiful women ever and I grew up listening to Michael Jackson from the Jackson Five through most of his solo career.......what a truly sad day.

32. Madalyn

His songs became a means to have hope and to see all people as the same. Heal the World, Man in the Mirror, he asked us to look out for one another, to look in the mirror and be responsible. For African Americans in that time in history we understood the self hatred you developed when there were no images like yourself in the media, therefore we didn't necessarily agree with the physical changes, but we understood

33. Sarah R., Lehigh, FL

A Michael Jackson cassette was the first tape I ever owned. That was one of my most prized possessions and treasured memories. As a musician now, I can honestly say that Michael Jackson was my first musical influence. I was head over heels for him when I was growing up and to this day cannot deny how big of an impact he made on me personally and musically. What an incredible person. I will always remember him as the seemingly immortal King Of Pop. No one can replace him. My condolences to all the broken hearted fans and family members mourning today.

34. Diego A.

All of my friends are SHOCKED by his death. I was on facebook when I heard the news and I was schocked. May he Rest In Peace.

35. Mark - San Francisco

Growing up in the 70s, Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett were 2 of my favorite entertainers. Most of the music during the 80s were so "horrible," Michael Jackson help make my teenage years bareable, music wise. Being black during that time and seeing Michael sore so high also had an affect on my life and my siblings. In a time when it was hard to be proud, Michael and The Jacksons really gave us something to look up to. I am very sadden and will miss him greatly.

36. Marcie

Micheal and Farrah on the same day....so very unbelieveable. Two great talents that will be sorely missed. May God comfort both families and give them peace and strength to endure this incredibly difficult time in their lives.

37. Pw Noles

I would like to know what some expert analysis think about the king of pop's death (MJ) compared to the king of RocknRoll (EP). Another King is gone:( Any irony at a young age for both of them??...lisa marie, MJ, EP??? and how does this tragic death compare to Elvis? They both provided so much inspiration, both did so much good for people and society...comments???

38. Shiloh

For Michael s family and his three children may they see that he was loved and respected, as a human being, as a Artist, and as a Father A Friend, Brother, Son, Uncle. He was the first to do things that no one would have thought of doing. He carved a path way in history for artists today. He was a strong man. May His family have strength now for this very hard time. RIP MICHAEL JACKSON.
    The world will miss the "KING OF POP"
    Shiloh

39. Eric Phillips from Canada

I cannot beleive it.
    It's hard to actually grasp this terrible tragedy.
    He'd been amazing since he was 5 years old.
    The world will always be a little less bright.
    Rest In Peace Michael!
    Like Freddie, there will be no one like you.

40. Bryanna

I'm only eighteen but i grew up on michael. He will be sorely missed. Pyt is my theme song.
    love you mike!

41. Lisa

Michael Jackson was an amazing man–so talented, creative, and innovative. He struggled, just like everyone else does, but should be remembered for his unique, inspiring qualities and how he changed the music culture for the better.

42. Lisa- London Ontario Canada

I'm stunned at the news about Michael Jackson's death. My deepest condolences to his family & friends. He was a musical Icon and he will be missed deeply.

43. Rob

I am not a Michael Jackson fan. However, I feel for those who are. Watching the news networks tonight reminds me of doing the same thing 32 years ago when they announced the death of Elvis. It was on for days. Like Elvis, Jackson died way too soon.

44. Eva from Canada

This is so shocking that Michael Jackson is gone at such a young age..I grew up on his music with all my high school friends. Just loved him. His Thriller video paved the road for all the videos to come...No one will ever be like him. Such a Gods gift to us all...we luv u Michael and of course Farrah..xo

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  45. Paul

This came as such a shock to me. What a life Michael Jackson has lived. I found out in the middle of a meeting and was just so stunned. My sympathy to the Jackson family. Great work on the story AC. I'm watching right now. Rest in Peace MJ.

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  46. Purvi

There isnt any other artist whose music I can remember has spanned over the 26 years of my life. I remember singing and dancing to Michael Jackson's music ever since I was so little. I still love his music. I even clearly remember thinking it was so cool to hear Michael Jacksons music playing in drivers car's in India. It is such a shocking loss. I pray for his children.

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  47. James

As young African-American boy in the 1970s I saw a part of myself in Michael Jackson. There was something really authentic and soulful about Michael back then. I can remember playing his song, "ABC 123" over and over again. No matter what his problems were, Michael was a musical genius and will truly be missed. God bless his soul.

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  48. vg, UK

Sadly, Michael's untimely death was inevitable. You read into this what you will!! Michael, Thank you for sharing your amazing gift with the world. You brought immense joy, love and happiness to millions of people. I am sad that you were misunderstood and confused and had to endure such pain and sadness in your lifetime. Rest in peace you beautiful angel and know that you were loved and appreciated for the real person you were. Love and kisses x ~6.8 billion

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  49. Sheryl

I am so sad about Michael! Our school had a talent show in May and we danced to "Thriller",. They all knew the moves and who Michael Jackson was! He crossed all generations with his talent!

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  50. Mike Peele

I was blessed to be asked to audition for michael jackson for the come back tour and i just choreographed a number to thriller for the phoneix awards in atlanta. Michael is one of the reason's why i have in the entertainment biz today. I love you, you are not just a great performer but a great man..

You will be missed, god called you home and i know you are in a better place

June 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm |