June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Renata

This just seems unreal. The one and only Micheal Jackson can only live on in our memories... so sad.

2. Suzanne

Maybe it's because we're the same age. Or maybe it's because his music was what could bring me up from the depths of depression. I am heartbroken but, after tears, I blasted his music in my living room for an hour and danced like I have never danced.

3. Emilie

I can't believe Michael is gone. It's a great tragic loss. His videos were the 1st ones I would dance along to as a baby. We've truly lost a legend today. May he rest in peace.

God Bless Michael and his family in this horrible time.

4. Cory Nabess

MJ's spirit lives on in every song we listen to and will continue to listen to. I have nothing but love in my heart for him!

5. Jillian Baugh

Michael Jackson was someone whom you could never understand, but fans appreciated that mystery. God Bless his family, and long live his immeasurable legacy.

6. Tamesha

My hurt is heavy with sadness. I'm 29 and Michael is just as important to me as he is my mom. He's crossed race, age, genre and countries. There has never been or will never been any performer as brilliant as Michael Jackson. I will always remember him...

7. Lily

I am so saddened by Michael's death. I grew up listening to his music and really admiring him as an artist. I can never grasp the intensity of when Elvis died or when John Lennon was shot because it wasn't my time but now i understand how those people felt. We truly lost an artist and an innovator today. RIP Michael hopefully you'll find you never never land in Heaven.

8. Richard Lacroix

Canada mourns Michael I just cant believe it its just to much Its gonna take me some time to realize that its true hes gone.God Rest His Sole maybe now he can finally find some peace

9. Maggie

What a very surreal day.....first Farah and then Michael...It's one of those days that you will remember what you were doing when you heard the news

10. Franklin

I am currently in Hawaii in the military and I can say that the sadden news is hitting people everywhere. I followed MJ from when my parents used to listen to him. I can remember as a child listening to his music driving throught Hardees drive through and the lady at the window dancing from his music coming from our radio

11. Nushrika

When I heard about the death of MJ i was seated at my high school graduation waiting to receive my diploma. It was already meant to be a bittersweet day but the news of Michael made me realize that it truly is an end of an era.

12. Jennifer

Micheal Jackson will be greatly missed!

13. Sean

Well I think it is unfortunate of his death. All the fame, wealth and power he had in this world will go, as now he will be judged for his good and bad deeds on this earth.

14. Kathy - Clearwater, Idaho

Hi all – I appreciate the coverage of Michael Jackson. I will be 50 this year so his music and videos have been a big part of my life. I loved dancing (still do) to Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller. I feel so sad for him and his family. Please do not show his last photo. That is not so good.
    Kathy

15. Amy

I think that many people feel like they have lost a member of the family. I am still in shock. Besides being and iconic figure, he was just someone you wanted to give a hug to and make him feel part of your own family. He will be greatly missed and never forgotten.

16. MQu Louisville

I am originally Palestinian, born in Kuwait, lived in Jordan and moved to Edinburgh young. I followed MJ closely in every country I lived in as I grew up, along with many others in each place, such was his world impact. Saw him in concert in 96. Man of our era. God bless him. RIP MJ.

17. diane beekharry

Michael Jackson is a legend .....a brilliant genius who will never be matched!!! RIP MJ.....u will always be remembered...

18. MMEANTE

As a child there was not one household that I can ever recall entering that did not own a Jackson 5 record. There was not one wall of a girls bedroom where Michael Jackson was not part of the tapestry. This was in 1968. Back then Michael Jackson gave black people hope, young and old alike. Just to see a black person in print or hear them on the radio was more of a complement rather than the rule of thumb. Everytime you heard the Jackson 5 on the radio, you felt some sort of accomplishment, for that brief moment in time when you heard Michael Jacksons voice, it was simply a proud moment and it felt wonderful to be Black in America.

19. Fan

The Last Great Star......

20. Hottgrrrl

Rest in Peace Michael..... You're not alone anymore....... We'll miss you greatly. xoxo

21. Lauren

I am deeply saddend by the passing of the Greatest Entertainer of my lifetime. Michael Jackson changed the music industry. I do not think that any of these new singers can say that have not been influenced by the Legend Michael Jackson in some way. We have truely lost a great talent. RIP MICHAEL.

22. Janet Walmsley

So very sad and such a tragic loss. I remember watching for the first time the Thriller Music Video, just made me fixed to the TV and wanted to get up an dance with MJ and the Zombies, way before his time, the BEST, you go thrill them up in Heaven Micheal!

23. Sam

M.J, the greatest, will be missed dearly...R.I.P

24. Robin, Fairfield, CA

I grew in the neigborhood of Motown, Detroit and saw Michael & his brothers go in and waved and shout hello to us. Michael is HISTORY despite rumors. Can't ever beat his talent EVER! My life is much more empty without this wonderful man.

25. Steffani

So so tragic, in life and death. I've always felt Michael was a misunderstood soul. None of us can know what it is to be groomed for stardom, neglected a childhood, and live as a genius.
    Many of us think that he was eternally seeking that childhood by being with children rather than adults...I imagine he was very lonely and it is a sad ending to such an extraordinary artistic life. May he rest in peace, finally.

26. NickM

Lets remember Mr. Michael Jackson, for being such a humble, loving, caring and thoughtful person. He was a man peace and now he rest in peace in heaven.

27. Patti

A piece of our youth has died...makes us all feel a little vulnerable...

28. Loni, Wisconsin

Micheal jackson will always be remembered for his uplifting music..Being only 27 ive always been a MJ fan..May god watch over your children and family in this time of sorrow.

29. Mel

Michael inspired so many people and had fans from all ages and races. he is truely a hero and icon. I hope he and his family are respected.

30. Pedro Matos Rito from Portugal

Michael I LOVE all your beautiful songs and I hope you rest in peace.
    Living under so strong pressure would kill anyone..
    You shouldn't have worked so hard for your coming back. If this world was perfect you didn't even had to do it..
    You had a strong and pretty personality for what I know and I have no more words to say i'm deeply sad for your death but nevertheless I hope you are much better now..

From your fan and friend,

You will NEVER ever die!

31. Patti Brown

The new of Michael Jackson passing is a shock. I just feel lucky to have been able to see him in 1984 on his Victory Tour and all the Jackson brother were on stage with him. Amazing Memory and the best 19th birthday present ever. Thanks for the Memories and the great music you have left behind for everyone in the world to enjoy for year to come. You will be missed.

32. Denise McFadden

I want to say I am totally devastated by the death of Michael Jackson. I grew up with his music and I am the same age as he is. I can think back now to the days when I begged my parents to let me go to the Cow Palace in San Francisco and see the Jackson Five and my parents said no. But, they bought me every album. I think of listening to their music on in my garage as a kid wishing one day to meet Michael. He will be missed by the world. I have yet to cry, but I think that will come in time. Right now it hasn't sunk in yet.

33. Amatullah

My heart is broken and I feel alone, but I find comfort in the fact that I will always have his music. And that will always help me remember him and how good his music made me feel

34. Jennifer

I really can't believe the news..My heartfelt sympathy to his family, as this must be a truly hard time right now.. His music has been with me since I was around the age of 10 and has always truly inspired me. He will be missed and never forgotten.

35. olanrewaju-------Nigeria

Michael Jackson...dead...I'm stunned

36. Sumera

Anderson- thanks so much for doing such a wonderful coverage on our favorite person. Me and my sons Sohrab and Zaryab are very very very....... sad. I am a 42 years old single mom from Pakistan and moved to Unitead states in 1999. I still remember my medical school days in Karachi Pakistan when we all medical students were madly in love with this singer and used to dance late night on his songs. Oh There are so many good memories. May Allah bless him!

37. Kyle

I was at home when I heard about it...he passed away after my 24th birthday so this will be a day that I shall never forget!

38. kathy hill

Michael Jackson's passing is shocking and sad. Surely, he was the most famous person on the face of the earth for his music, dance and humanitarian contributions. But we've also lost another icon of the 70s today, Farrah Facett, and it seems thoughtless and unkind that her death would be eclipsed by MJs. How about a tribute to Farrah?

39. Anthony M.

We lost 3 icons this week: the king of pop, the queen of hair and the king of sidekicks. It is a very sad day for us kids of the 70's. But even more, MJ was an inspiration to many that we can "make that change"!

40. Hanaa Ali

I remember my ninth birthday, where all my friends and I danced to " Don't Stop until you get enough". That was in the Middle East, 23 years ago. He touched everyone, every where. May your soul FINALLY rest in peace. You will always be loved.

Hanaa, Canada

41. Kay Airola

Anderson – That is a real kick to hear that you were at Studio 54! I, too, would like to know how you got in under age!
    I must share my first live concert with you – I saw Donovan in San Francisco in 1971. It was a thrill for me because i had every record he made and was a true fan. He looked over the audience at one point and commented "I can smell you are all having a great time!".
    I was 21.
    Sincerely,
    Kay Airola
    Calaveras County, CA

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  42. Laura Lewis

The lyrics to his songs exist deep in all of us. Wether you idolized him or not. If his songs are played your body starts singing. He defined a time when words and music helped a struggling population find their voice.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  43. Steve

Michael Jackson.
    Farrah Fawcett.
    Ed McMahon.
    What a sad, sad, sad week.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  44. T.Tibbs

a man with many talents. a man of very few words. a man proclaimed the king. a man some thought absurd. a man often praised but also stood under trial. a man who gracefully moved and showed his inner child. a man who made “His” fortune. a man who made “His” fame. a legacy born and died, and all will remember His name. R.I.P Michael Jackson

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago

What a great story to share Anderson!

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  46. Francie Caudill

May Michael Jackson finally rest in peace away from prying eyes. I believe he was a very misunderstood individual. His unique upbringing made normalcy impossible.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  47. Steve w

I AM SOOOO SAD, He was beyond incredible. He was the music of my childhood. Michael will miss you

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  48. Rebecca

No, the coverage on Michael Jackson is not too much. It's a great loss and a true shock to many people across the globe. He truly is on a completely different level than any other music artist. Michael Jackson deserves nothing but honor and respect on this sad day.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  49. Tracy

Sad news today on the passing of Michael Jackson. My heart goes out to his family and his children. May Michael find the peace in death he so desperately deserved in life.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  50. Michelle Rivera

RIP Michael, may you forever moonwalk on the clouds.

June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm |