June 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/25/09

Tonight on 360°, remembering the King of Pop. Family, friends and fans are shocked by the death of Michael Jackson. He collapsed at his home in Los Angeles, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to his brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center. Michael Jackson was 50.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,542 Responses)
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

A tragic day is brought to a close...two iconic figures taken from us too early. May they rest in peace...

Hope everyone will still have a good weekend! Good night all!

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  2. Katie

It is unbelievable. Two people who impacted so many lives... on the same day... My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  3. Gennaro

You should stop questioning his dark moments but honoring his bright days. Please honor his last moments on this earth with dignity and light and wait until tomorrow for questions.

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  4. Carla

Michael Jackson was, to put it simply, brilliant ! And instead of appreciating his monumental talent, his every move was examined under a microscope and he was held to a much higher standard. His star will always shine but our world is a sad and empty place without him in it.

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  5. Cindy

When its your time to go its your time! Nothing that anyone can do will change that. Unfortunately today was Michael's day. Hopefully he is finally at peace!

Cindy...Ga.

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  6. elizabeth delgado chicopee,mass

michael jackson was a star in my eyes i loved his music from the time i was little and im older and still love his music i have his records from way back in the days when they were the jacksons 5.he will be trulie missed michael is now in heaven.r.i.p. michael see you some day.

June 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  7. jacqueline, ny

@ Mary DaSilva

"Farrah was the Angel who waited to take King Michael home with her."

That is sweet, Mary. May they both rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  8. Kate Barber

These creative people are almost destined to live in the limelight and die so prematurely. What they give up for us, Legends like John Lennon, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson. They are almost destined to live a life of creative perfection and leave us heartbroken.

June 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  9. nirupama

Michael Jackson- the King of Pop

It is a very sad day for everyone. The fact is still not sinking in that he is no more. His music will forever remain in our hearts and may his soul rest in peace. We'll miss you Michael.

June 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  10. Steven

Michael Jackson was one of the greatest pioneers of music of our time. He will be missed, and won't be forgotten.

June 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  11. Cole R. Wood

The first concert I ever went to was Michael's "Bad" Tour in 1988. I was 13 years old and just knew someday, somehow I would be friends with Michael. I'd take him up to the family cabin, Up North, Minnesota, and give him the escape from the media I thought he would enjoy. A daydream that I, this 35 year old man, will always recall and smile about. He spurred hope, magic and wonder in my cousins and myself. Like his song, he is gone too soon.

Cole R. Wood
    Dallas, TX

June 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  12. Earl Norah Jr.

Truly, My heart, and My prayers, go out to the Jackson Family, This is a truly tragic lost. I've watched the Jackson Five, when I was younger, and I've watched his carreer, it's tragic to lose him like this.

June 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  13. Mona, India

Truely an iconic star lost... I guess it must have been the same when Elvis died!! We all grew up with his music and signature Micheal dance moves. Though could we ever imagine Micheal in his 80's? May his soul rest in peace.

June 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  14. Rodrigo

It is a tragic week for all of us... Our generation has lost great icons they will be missed but not forgotten

June 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  15. Terri F

Let's not forget the "We Are The World"...he gave in so many ways..and nobody has mentioned that campaign...it was a wonderful song and collaboration, with Michael leading the way.

Wonderful music..he'll be missed on the airwaves.

June 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  16. Tammer Hairston

I feel like I have lost a member of my family. I grew up watching Michael Jackson on TV, on videos and listing to his music. He is the greatest and he will be sadly missed.

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  17. Paula, MN

Devastated by the loss of MJ and will always remember buying “Bad” on cassette when it first came out. MJ was maimed by gold diggers/the media and eternally wounded by his upbringing. Finally he can rest. May his dear mother and children weather this storm in as much peace as possible. As his attorney stated, MJ will never die.

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  18. Martina Ilstad Germany

Micheal in his hard he always been a big kid,he had bad time when he was a kid (always working)but this makes him so lovley and what he did with his money,nobodody have to care about it .am really shocked.No more good music again.Just watching your show,and hearing his music make me cry .

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  19. Sue Lynch

Why is no channel showing the incredible moonwalk video when Michael was wearing the black hat...This is my most incredible memory of his genius.

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  20. Shailendra

Hey AC, were you guys able to talk to sister Janet ?

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  21. Kal

Why have we not heard from Janet?

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  22. Maureen T, Canada

I hope and pray themedia will give the entire Jackson family an opportunity to mourn in private! I hope his family protects his 3 children!

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  23. Tony MacIntyre

People, please celebrate Michael's legacy and talent. Leave the negative energy out at this difficult time. Do this for him, his family and his true fans!! My thoughts are with Michael's family, friends and fans!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  24. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Elizabeth Taylor must be so devestated too as well as Diana Ross.

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  25. Michael

Like others I was shocked about this news. Very, very sad about Michael Jackson today. Wow, what an icon in American music! He was totally awesome. We lost him today. What a shame!!!!!! My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hope he is in a better place.

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  26. Ken

Farrah...Sad but expected,,Michael!! What a shock!! May both of them find the peace they deserve....I hope Redmond can find the strength to fight his demons in memory of his mother...I hope the Jackson family install a sense of what an important legacy his children have to keep alive!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  27. Dulcie - Denver

I really don't have much to contribute here. I just remember my mother being sad when Elvis died as they were the same age. Now I follow in her footsteps – I'm the same age as Michael Jackson was.

He's been such a big part of modern culture that it's sort of unbelievable that he's gone.

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  28. Mary DaSilva

Farrah was the Angel who waited to take King Michael home with her.

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  29. Gayle K., New Egypt, NJ

I am so sadden by the passing of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Can't believe how this day has turned out. May God be with all of us during this very difficult time. Rest in peace you two, you will be missed. Gayle

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  30. Dodie ~ California

Good night everyone at CNN and bloggers. Have a nice & safe evening!

Michael Jackson has transformed music forever.

He may be gone but he will never be forgotten!

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  31. Rita

Such a sad day may God be with Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jacksons familys

I am just speechless

June 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  32. amanda

this event of the lost of michael jackson is a tragedy!!! his music has touched so many people for his entire career. my concern is does janet know? she has not been mentioned at all and i including many are wondering how is she taking this?

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  33. Cessy, Chicago

Let's celebrate Michael Jackson's life by wearing your old penny loafers with white sequined socks tomorrow at work. oh yeah- dont forget the gloves!

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  34. Rebekah

I absolutely LOVE Beat It and i'm so happy that CNN is playing so many clips of Michael's videos and songs, it's only too bad that the reason for this is his untimely death. good job on your coverage tonite – simply lovely. thank you Anderson, Erica and everyone at CNN.

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  35. Becky

I am very sad about today's news.. Michael will forever be in our hearts.. Michael was the KIng of Pop.. he brought his music to us.. I am in total shock..

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  36. Cher J

I didn't think I could get so emotional over Michael's death, but as with Princess Diana, I am going to be up all night crying and praying for the Jackson family.

My heart goes out to them!! Rest in Peace Michael...we will miss you!!

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Thanks for showing all this footage of his early years and all the performers who had a a part in his career what a thrill for them and the legacy he leaves behind.

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  38. JR, Miami, FL

Jack G, you are so right. We will remember where we were the Day Michael Jackson Died...at the beauty shop getting a Farrah hairstyle. She rests with the angels now, too.

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  39. Cathy

Michael was the 1st musical artist I ever loved back in 1982 when I was 11 yrs old. I bought everything I could with his image on it & wore out my Thriller cassette. It is a very sad day.

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  40. Susan

Wow what a day. So sorry for these families. Michail was a man , but a child always at heart.
    Farrah Fawcett was a fighter. She is now at peace. I want to say one thing about Farrah. I have been a hair stylist for over 42 years now and when she became popular so did her hair. There was a time that everyone want a "Farrah Fawcett hair style. She was a hit. God Bless Her.

June 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  41. Krizzy

Omg I can't believe he's gone, please tell me he's not please tell me why why he's gone oh god please tell me, my heart body and soul goes out too his family and i can't stop crying for him bring him back omg god tell me why you take the good people in my life i hope he can say hi too my mom and dad in heaven where he has his peace and mind with all the angles in heaven. omg iam soo crying now i can't type any more. sorry.

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  42. Jasmine

remember watching MTV and counting how many times Michael's songs appeared....that was a lot by the way.... 😀

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  43. J. Lawson

This is a loss for the world. I am truly saddened by his passing. I truly believe all the negative media, constant harrassment, all of the false accusations, expoitation and the attemts to destroy his career was the cause of his failing health and subsequent death. I never for once believed the accusations. He was a music genious and the greatest entertainer of our time. What a loss!

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  44. Linda

Yes Michael always gave credit to James Brown who was also a fantastic show man, Michael perfect James Brown's moves and showmanship and he always let people know that about James Brown. I tell you I cried like a baby when I heard he was dead, I remember the first time he sang at the age of 9, he was you could see then special removed from his brother, you could see it, and he never fail us after that day with his music, his talent and his generous nature. I will forever miss Michael Jackson The King Of Music.

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  45. Jim

Rev. Sharpton is wrong, "Do They Know It's Christmas" was released before "We Are The World."

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, Michael had a grand base of fans.

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  47. Tracy in Fla

Why do things seem to happen in threes? Ed McMahon, Farrah now Michael...all made indelible marks on the world and will always only be a click away from us. I'm especially shocked by Michaels passing because we are the same age, I grew up with him, and can still do the dance moves he created!
    Godspeed Michael, Ed and Farrah!

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  48. Pam

I am deeply saddened by the tragic death of Mj. I grew up on his music when he was part of the Jackson Five/5 up until now. As I listen to his music now the lyrics bring memories of good and happy times in my life as a child and as an adult. He has touched so many hearts and lives--
    I Love you Michael and may you rest in peace. I can't believe you're gone- Your music and your legacy will live on forever. My heart goes out to the entire family.

June 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  49. Teni Lanlehin

I just want to say Rest In Peace Michael and hopefully we can all learn something about his death-he had a heart! Maybe the stress he was facing could have been minimized if positive words were said to him. Today, everyone is out there paying tribute to his greatness, do we have to die before people pour out appreciation? From his interview in 1997 with Barbara Walters, Michael was really hurting with the bad treatment he got from the press and I felt so sad. My last word, treat peole nicely, and don't anything for granted!

June 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  50. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It's great hearing the guests and Anderson speak of their experiences with MJ! Although I must admit Anderson's got me curious about the Studio 54 thing....disco mania....oh the memories!

June 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm |