June 25th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Remembering Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson, shown in 2008, was one of the biggest pop stars in history.

Michael Jackson, shown in 2008, was one of the biggest pop stars in history.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We're bringing you a two hour edition of 360° tonight on the death of Michael Jackson. The pop music legend died this afternoon at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles after collapsing at his home and suffering cardiac arrest.

At the hospital fans quickly gathered outside. At one point Jackson's music could be heard from a fraternity house across the street. As the music played people were crying, many were in shock over the loss of the 'King of Pop'.

Tonight, we'll look at the life of Michael Jackson. There were the classic hits from the days of the "Jackson 5". Flashback to 1969. Their first Motown hit was "I Want You Back". There was no looking back. Years later, Jackson dominated the music scene as a solo artist. His debut solo album, "Off the Wall", sold over 7 million copies and had four top 10 singles. In 1982, "Thriller" was released. It's the wold's best-selling album of all-time, selling more than 100 million copies. Jackson won 13 Grammy Awards over the years and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice.

But in more recent years there were the accusations of child molestation. He denied the charges each time. Though, in 1993 he paid an unspecified amount to a 13-year-old old boy in an out of court settlement. Ten years later, another boy would accuse him of the same charges. That case went to trial in California. Jackson was found not guilty.

The trial and several unrelated lawsuits put a massive dent in Jackson's fortune. He was planning a comeback with 50 sold-out concerts in London that were to start next month.

Instead his family is now planning his funeral. And,  questions remain: Why did Jackson die? An autopsy is expected to be performed tomorrow. And, what will his legacy be?

Share your memories of Michael Jackson below.

Join us for this and our coverage on the death of another icon, Farrah Fawcett, tonight on AC360°. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Jackie McCowen-Rose

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but... I enjoyed Michael Jackson's music, but he became a sad, pathetic, unhappy man. His passing means he's over all that. That being said, the wall-to-wall media blather and obligatory public gatherings/displays about it is an insult to the Iranian citizens daily risking and losing their lives in the struggle for freedom. Are our interests so shallow, our sense of proportion so warped that it's more important to drive all night to stand in front of the hospital where a pop singer died than it is to speak up in solidarity with our Iranian brothers and sisters? And no: I am not Iranian, just an American who wishes Americans would grow up.

June 26, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  2. Rita

Michael Jackson's passing seems to have overshadowed Farrah Fawcett'spassing as well as her life. Let's not forget this courageous woman and the battle she fought for so long. God rest her soul as well as Michael Jackson's soul

June 26, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  3. pkaruma

4 ur Good gestures u’ve been crucified, innocent soul sentenced 2 die slowly! They ridiculed u. So much love u had instead they mocked u. Good hearted, pure love, but how could they understand, a love so intricate that they can never attain, or even come close to it. Yet deep inside them they admired you, the thriving star in you! To those royal to u we moan a fallen soldier. Your legacy lives forever for no one can ever top that. God rest you in eternal peace for they will never hurt u again!

June 26, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  4. Twenewaa Juliet Nederland

My heart is full of pain but then my mind remind me of
    the peace he has found .May his soul rest in perfect peace.
    His name shall live forever.Juliet,Jason and Marco.

June 26, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  5. Twenewaa Juliet

My heart is full of pain but then my mind remind me of the
    peace he has found.May his soul rest in perfect peace.His name shall live forever.

June 26, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  6. Kayla Strouse

I am still in shock that this happened to Michael. I can not stop watching the TV in hopes of there being some kind of mis understanding...I hope that everyone remembers Michael for the artistic dance and music and love that he he gave so many of us for so many years. He will always be a legend and missed by soooo very many people. I was so looking forward to his concerts in London. Tickets sold out on all show dates in 10 minutes. I was hoping this would be his come back. He is now with his idol The King of rock (ELVIS) and may the two of them find each other and shine down on our lives. what a tragedy....Rest in peace Michael...and as in "BEN"...."You have a friend in me"....

Kayla... >"<

June 26, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  7. Elvi Sta.Maria

as the whole world mourns.....His songs live....Rest in Peace Michael. We will miss you....

June 26, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  8. Carol

I am shocked and heartbroken once again over the death of another musical icon! I I remember the death of Elvis and I remember crying on my living room floor when i got the news at age 10, and now once again we lost another very talented and soft hearted soul! May he finally have peace in Heaven and never feel lonely again!

I was also wondering why we have not heard one word on Janet Jackson and whether or not she is with the family! Anything on that Anderson?

June 26, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  9. JALAL (Saudi Arabia)

In the upcoming lines I'd like to thank Michael Jacksn for many things which will never be forgotten. Been a shining rainbow for poor children could be one of these unforgetten gifts which Michael presented to the world. Another gift which Michael presented to us was the love of music. He succeded in gathering people all over the world. He was as a peace dove which never cared about race, skin color, or language. He made music as love wrap (joint).
    Unfortunatly, this rainbow has vanished by the days because the people around him. They filled his brightness with lies and fales accusations using his love for children. it was as an infinit fog. They had broke the dove's wings and left it to die.
    For us as fans, he's like the North Star which guide us to heaven of music. His soul will remain in everybody's heart. He'll be so only 4 those who never pay attention to his body details. only 4 thoes who love him for his music.

God Bless Your Soul Michael

R I P

June 26, 2009 at 8:05 am |
  10. Linda

I am sick of hearing about Michael Jackson. He was a mentally disturbed person who lived life as if he was a God. He was a sorry person and I'm not sorry his life is over. I'll be glad when the press stops covering him and moves on to something really important to our quality of life.

June 26, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  11. Monica, Nairobi

Its just so so sad that he died such a lonely person while his music brought joy to so many of us around the world. RIP Micheal.

June 26, 2009 at 6:08 am |
  12. Kenneth

Its hard letting go of the King of Pop. A man with enormous talent and a big heart. 100 Billion words can't explain my SADNESS... I grew up listening and dancing to all of his songs and I still remember how I used to be so afraid of the thriller video. Michael has been one of the most influential and inspirational person in my life, and was a very kind hearted person. Michael, you will always be in my heart. R.I.P

June 26, 2009 at 6:01 am |
  13. patrick

MJ you marked a spot on evry surface of da earth(RIP)

June 26, 2009 at 6:00 am |
  14. Maria Gouveia, Portugal

Michael Jackson was a part of my youth and will always remember him with joy.

June 26, 2009 at 5:45 am |
  15. peasant girl

I know this won't be a popular comment but I wonder if it is time now to say – why didn't someone close to Michael get him the help he needed so he could keep doing what he was best at – entertaining the world. Did his wealth make him untouchable and above criticism? Did nobody care enough to intervene? He needed someone like Simon Cowell as a mentor and sounding board. He needed somebody like Britney Spears' parents to spend $50,000 on a motorcade to get him counselling or public relations training or whatever it was he needed most. His spending was out of control. It wasn't so much the face lifts – it was the fact that he denied having them. He didn't seem to have the skills to deal with life or his health. It was like he lost his guardian angels and the devil gradually took him over. I can't imagine the courage it must have taken to attempt a farewell tour after a decade of public criticism, legal charges and loss of his financial empire. I heard on chum fm radio one morning that he was using a lot of body doubles and intending on lip synching alot for the farewell tour. I think he died from a broken heart and loneliness and fear. We need to take care of our gifted souls. Next time when a celebrity is having problems, the public and the media need to think about how they can help rather than just watch a train wreck in the making. We shouldn't assume that everyone has family or friends that will take on that role. We need to take leadership and just do it. Godspeed.

June 26, 2009 at 5:32 am |
  16. Marcellus

Im amazed at how many people like or love Micheal Jackson many people i know don't like him, it's shocking and sad that he passed and my best friend was sad about it too.

He was an important man, hours ago at 7:00-7:20pm my step father called and said Micheal Jackson had died, my mom said, i didn't pay much attention until i watch it on CNN, HLN. there still talking about it.

June 26, 2009 at 5:31 am |
  17. Jennifer

My friends have asked "why am I so upset, I didn't know him"
    At 5 am I finally have an answer...
    His story is over...There is no chapter 10. We will never get the chance to witness him turn his life around and regain his crown.
    There is no happy ending and I hate those stories.

June 26, 2009 at 5:22 am |
  18. nana malik Indonesia

Michael Jackson is a legend. This is a very sad day.. i will remember this day for the rest of my life. I am such a huge fan of him. I think he is a very kind and loving person. You can rest in peace now Michael. No more sadness, no more tears, just happines with God in heaven... amin.

June 26, 2009 at 5:10 am |
  19. Antony Abraham

Hi There....
    Even today morning while I was at my friend place trying to shift few of my luggage that I had left there, while loading a bag into the taxi, suddenly few of the CD's fell from the bag and out of it one of them were MJ's. I kept it back and on my way to my new place I kept on singing 'Beat it', in my heart. Later while I reached my office I came to know about the news about his death ....
    As we all know MJ is the King of pop. I pray
    that his soul would rest in peace. Though he had a few
    issues/ controversy in his life, I still believe that he was
    really good at heart. You can imagine the talent that he had (unique)
    and also how he nurtured it. Singing, music and dance, truly
    a great person. Also its pathetic, that how many of us tried
    to pull him down by simple gossips, media blunders, talks
    etc. End of the day he is just a man and like anyone of us
    he is not perfect, so we shudnt pin point at simple mistakes
    that any of us would have and could commit. Hope
    he is remembered by all as a good person.
    MJ you still ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in our HEARTS ...

June 26, 2009 at 5:09 am |
  20. Frankie, somers ny

When I herd this news I was utterly shocked I could not belive what I was hearing. He is my idol I dance for 4 hours everyday and I watch him for inspiration. He is one of the biggest idols of my life. I love his work and I loved his danceing i dance to his music everyday. He was not just an entertainer he was a idol, a hero, a singer, a dancer, and most of all a friend to everyone. I have been up and I will stay up all night listing and danceing to his songs and im watching CNN to say a final fairwell to the biggest hero of my life. I will miss you but you will always be part of my heart. God bless you. Thank you Michael for all you have done for the world. You will be missed but never forgotten. Rest in peace Michael Jackson.

June 26, 2009 at 5:07 am |
  21. Antonia Acevedo

I will miss you Michael Jackson. You were a very talented arist. I'm truly sorry for the pain that you had to endore, in your life. I know that your self esteen was taken away, Due to the Alleged Allegations of Molestations. I knew that you loved Children, People, Everyone. And I guess you ended up trusting the wrong person. I say it's funny, Why? Because people take your kindess, for weakness. Know wounder why Michael was on medications. To escape the pain that he was feeling. I know if Michael made this tour. His self esteen would of been back. He would of been on cloud 9. Now Michael your on that cloud 9. God Bless your family. My Sympathy goes out to your Children and to your Family. RIP Michael Jackson. My family will miss you. Your memories, and music will live forever. I love you MICHAEL JACKSON

June 26, 2009 at 5:07 am |
  22. Byron Bridges: Jefferson, LA

The sudden and tragic death of michael jackson came out of nowhere .It left me with shocking; devastating and unpresidented emotions. My deepest sympathy and prayers goes out to him and his family. May God bless his soul.

June 26, 2009 at 4:52 am |
  23. Martha

My condolences to Both families of Michael Jackson and Farra Faucet , we will all have great memories from Both of them a sad day for all ...May they rest in peace

June 26, 2009 at 4:49 am |
  24. Amal

My brother and i use to listen and dance to his music growing up..........he was king of pop. Never did i once believed any of the accusations and scandals. He was magical!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 4:44 am |
  25. Antonia Acevedo

Michael Jackson was a talented person, and artist. I grew up on his music. Were only one year difference in age. I'm very sorry for all the pain this man has endured thru out his life. These Alleged Allegations and Molestation's!. Do you know how painful that was for Michael! His self esteen was taken away from him. I can understand why he was taking medications. To cope with his mental being, from people.Did u really know Michael Jackson. He loved Children, people, throughful, and not selfish. My Question? When Michael wasn't feeling good that night. And his doctor was there. Why didn't he say to michael, let's go to the hospital. I'm not pointing fingers towards anyone. I'm just concerned, if it would of made a difference. Would Michael still be here? If Michael Would of went on this tour, I knew that would of gave him, his self esteen back.. And he would of been on cloud nine.Well my friend you got what you wanted. Your now on Cloud 9. I'm happy for you. I give my Sympathy to Michael's Children, And to his Family. My family and I will miss you, and you will always be in are hearts. Your life and music will live forever. I love you Michael Jackson........

June 26, 2009 at 4:43 am |
  26. Maryna M

I never thought this day would come. I owe Michael most of what i am now, he completely changed my life. I will miss him tremendously, i so hoped to see him performing in July. Nothing can replace the void and the loss in our hearts. He will always be the brightesr sparkl in our memories and lives. Miss and love you dearly always and forever, truly your fans....

June 26, 2009 at 4:35 am |
  27. Saiful

Michael Jackson was true musical royalty, a celebrity's celebrity, unparalleled in talent with awe-inspiring creativity and a true genius. As of the most iconic and powerful figures in the world, he will always be remembered the greatest musical artists ever. Through the power of his music he transcended all boundaries like no other. Love U

June 26, 2009 at 4:30 am |
  28. Jarrod

Michael Jackson " never can say goodbye...."

June 26, 2009 at 4:29 am |
  29. Nathan Anderson

i think he was a great person i knew something would happen he was under alot of stress in his rent house

June 26, 2009 at 4:25 am |
  30. Burt

It is especially poignant and sad that an icon the likes of Michael Jackson arrives at the end of his life span so prematurely. We have learned so much from this standard bearer. His contributions have clearly helped untold numbers of people across the world become aware of ways to enhance living with music, song and dance.

These potentially HEALING modes of activity, along with their sheer
    entertainment value, have allowed for an elevation of better thoughts, feelings and actions totally consonant with concepts related to A Better Community for All.

For those wanting a place to go for some INTENTION MEDITATION on such a loss for the world, ABC4All's page is available including Lighting Candles in Michael's memory.

June 26, 2009 at 4:25 am |
  31. donna

I haven't felt this sad since Princess Di passed away. It's still difficult to grasp and wrap my head around. . .Just surreal. It's tragic when anyone's life is cut short, but it just seems doubly tragic when they are truly good hearted people with so much more to offer to the world. He was such an innovative talent and no one has come close to the impact he made in music and the entertainment industry. He will be so so missed, but I truly believe Michael Jackson is in a good place– where the media can't hurt him. Prayers to his family.

June 26, 2009 at 4:13 am |
  32. Ricky Koonce

Wow! 2 day was just 2 CRAZY!!!! I am at a total BLANK FACE about Michael Jackson not being with all of us anymore.We all should CRY!!.The World should CRY!!.What we all should do is get with Family and Friends,etc. And listen 2 The Jackson 5,And Michael.And sing and Dance and Dance and Dance,maybe cry some more.More Dancing and Singing.Lots of Dancing.Cause almost every song he sang made u feel something.Our Hearts R with U. 2 The Jackson Family.We miss Michael Dearly.

June 26, 2009 at 4:12 am |
  33. Lisa

This may not be the appropriate place to post this but I will anyway because I don't know where else to send it. I turned on CNN this afternoon thinking there would be something on Farrah Fawcett. I was shocked, as was everyone else, to learn that Michael Jackson had been taken to the hospital and then later learned he died. Very surreal. I found it quite disturbing to see his body transferred from the helicopter to the van at the morgue. I imagine other channels showed this as well but it really shows you that there is no such thing as privacy anymore. RIP.

June 26, 2009 at 4:11 am |
  34. Joanna williams

We will miss him. i god bless the jackson family. mike was a year older them me i watch him all my live . We will miss the king of pop
    God bless. Love you Micheal

June 26, 2009 at 4:10 am |
  35. kemi

Michael Jackson will forever lived in our memory, he was an icon of our generation. My prayer goes to his family, most especially his parent and children. It is only God in His mercy that can console you all. Michael was a legend when alive and he will continue being a legend even in death. Micheal do have a beautiful heart even though people take much advantage of him. I LOVE YOU MICHAEL AND MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.

June 26, 2009 at 4:10 am |
  36. charnique

i cant believe michael jackson is no longer with us. Even though im 17, i still listened to michael's music. "rock with you" , "dont stop til you get enough", and "billie jean" were my favorite songs by him. My mom and i cried when we heard the news. It feels like i've lost a family member. No matter how much ppl talked about him and said he was a molester, he was still THE KING OF POP. R.I.P. MICHAEL JACKSON (YOU ARE GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN) WE LOVE YOU...

June 26, 2009 at 4:10 am |
  37. Maria Retina Sarmiento,OP

One thing I will remember the late King of Po is the charitable and humaitarian work he did for the underpriviledge. It's such a shame on how unscrupolous individuals have "milked" him taking advantage of his kindness, even by those alleged victrims and families. For me he never died of a simple cardiac arrest, but a broken heart. I feel the grief of his family,friends and fans. Now that he is in the loving care of our Father God, he ifinally found the peace and understanding he never got from those "righteous" individuals who judged him. Have they forgotten what Jesus said in the bible to the scribes and pharisees when they wanted to stone the woman caught in adultery if anyone who doesn't have a sin take a stone and condemn this woman, and those scribes were flabbergasted and stopped judging Magalene. May his soul rest in peace MIchael you will be in our hearts and we will never forget you. Thank yiu for the memories and sharing your talent with us God bless you all!

Maria Retina Sarmiento,OP
    Manila,Philippines

June 26, 2009 at 4:08 am |
  38. Sami

Truly a sad day for the world to lose an iconic figure...a great entertainer...a genius and artist...the King of Pop. There will not be another person like him. My deepest condolences to his family.

June 26, 2009 at 4:08 am |