June 24th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Governor Admits Affair

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford chokes up on Wednesday as he admits to having an affair.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

The mystery is over. All those questions over the whereabouts of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford were answered today. He's confessed to having an affair with a woman in Argentina. He wasn't hiking the Appalachian Trail. He was in Buenos Aires to be in the arms of his mistress.

There were tears at Sanford's new conference. And, surprisingly, there were a lot of details on how his eight year e-mail relationship with a "friend" turned into an extramarital affair. We'll show you some of those e-mails.

We also have the explosive new details from Iran where police and the militia were out in full force. Protesters were fleeing. We'll have the latest.

Join us for these stories and more starting at the top of the hour.

See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. wiilie brown

hes no good 2 us get him out of here

June 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  2. rick

This the same man who did not want stimulus money for schools!!

June 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  3. Mitch

Gov. Sanford is arrogant and needs to dry his eyes. Once a cheater, always a cheater. He is a digusting hypocrit.

June 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  4. Sian

With Iran, Irag, Afghanistan, N Korea..the economy, health care, ...this is getting so much attention??? Must be a slow news night

June 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Lisa Altman, North Myrtle Beach

How dare he talk about hurting his wife and tear up. What a disgrace!!He should have thought of what the fall out would be. I cannot believe the would stand there and disgrace them that way. I just don't know what to say. I am born and raised in South Carolina and have lived here all my life. This is beyond how it affects the party. He hasn't earned anything. I can not believe she can possibly take any blame for his actions.Why is it that South Carolina can't get know for anything good. Also, why is it always the ones who profess their family values the loudest always the ones to fall. So, So, disappointed.

June 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  6. Donald

Anderson,

It’s amazing to me how Mark Sanford is just another Republican politician who just happened to make a mistake by cheating on his wife, with other woman or man, whatever it is this time, but because they really regret their transgressions it’s seems to be OK. Then another Republican colleague comes to their defense saying how noble and hard it was for that person to come forward and admit their sins. Give me a break – they had to come forward – they were caught and it’s all over the news. Throw the bum out!!! He’s guilty and caught.

Donald

June 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  7. Shannelle

*yawn*......another politician caught having an affair......call me "desensitized" but......*yawn*.......who cares?

June 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  8. Vladnc

I think Governor Mark Sanford should resign. The reason is not only his Hippocratic, broken family values. People in South Carolina and all over the United States loosing jobs at unprecedented level. Governor Sanford chooses a foreign, Argentinean mistress! I feel it shows his lack of patriotism and his support for industrial outsourcing.

June 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  9. J. H.

Sanford believes he has the right to determine peoples basic rights due to the fact they conflict with his RELIGIOUS beliefs, therefore his own inability to follow those beliefs should be brought to light and he should be held accountable. That is why his affair is a legitimate part of the discussion.

If he didn't use religion as part of his platform than possibly the focus would be simply that he abandoned his post.

June 24, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  10. Erin

When politicians stand on the soapbox of Morality and Family Values, I think it is perfectly appropriate for them to be publicly skewered when their hypocrisy is exposed. Are there no decent human beings running for public office these days?

June 24, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  11. lee

As a citizen of this great state, I am appealing to the governor to resign for the following reasons, he abandoned his post as the leader of this state for a week, there is no excuse for that, his affair while morally wrong is not a reason, his deception of what he says to the citizens and what his actions have been, again not acceptable, I applaud his wife stating he has earned a second chance to fix his marriage, I dont think he has earned a second chance as our governor, if you really want to fix your broken personal life, as you said on tv, then resign and concentrate on that, leave quietly, but please leave, so we can start to move forward with our economic recovery, thanks, lee

June 24, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  12. Olympia

As a SC native, I am sad to hear the news about our governor’s infidelity but it is even worse when you leave your staff in a situation to make up lies in order to answer questions regarding your whereabouts. This was very appalling especially after his (Mark) fight to not accept the stimulus because he wanted to pay down SC debt instead using the money as it was intended.

June 24, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Edna, NC

I am so GLAD that his former wife was not stand by his side... having to "shame" himself in front of this media Circus. Good for her. Hope she will never comment anything. There is not to say, when you husband make this mistake. Just "kick his behind" and go on with your own life. It is a waste to try to work out a marrige that has been already ruined by a dammy!

June 24, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Maris, Brazil

Very embarrassed situation not for him...but for his FAMILY.
    It is so sad.

June 24, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Judy

Eric, I didn't vote for Sanford. I'm not to blame.

June 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Lynn

I am also a South Carolina citizen, and I would agree that the details of the affair are personal matters between the governor and his family; and I wish them the best. The problem comes with him walking away from his duties as an elected government official. Considering the current state of affairs in our state, we deserve more responsible actions from our elected governor. If most of us did not report to work for even a couple of days without calling in to report, we would be dismissed immediately with no questions asked.

June 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. C.J.

Sanford is a scumbag. It's that old male sense of entitlement. Not a whole lot of thinking going on, especially considering what affairs do to families.

June 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Darlene

People being butchered on the streets in Iran; North Korean Ship crossing ocean with missiles...I'm a die-hard democrat, but let's leave the gov. alone.

June 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Maris, Brazil

shame shame shame on him.

June 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Sue Stafford

I wonder if the apologizing and remourseful (now that he has be caught) governor, or one of his Republican colleagues, could please
    define for us "family values". They all had a lot to say regarding the
    Bill Clinton fiasco. Who would ever have thought those good Christian men with their high and mightly family values, would ever
    be human enough to have to apologize for having an affair? Perhaps it is a case of "thou protests too much". And to the news media – thou snoops too much!

June 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Rick

What a sleezeball, and what crazy comments precede this one. Governors are elected based on their promises to hold themselves and their ethics to a higher level. We would not vote into office a person like this if we knew in advance the type of person he turns out to be would we??? This dirtbag has not only lied and cheated on his Wife, but has destroyed his relationship with his Sons and his constituents while holding the office of Governor. He is a hypocrite and a conspirator who has involved his staff by having them lie about his true whereabouts; and the new woman in his life who I am sure he has told to hide away from the public outcry, he is a manipulator who has no concern for anyones feelings other than his own. And now he asks for forgiveness !!!! I would advise his Wife to get rid of him immediatley, take him for every penny you can, and use it to rid yourself of this waste of space and move on with your children. As for the people from S. Carolina, wake up and find yourself a person that will represent your great state honestly and with integrity.

June 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Debbie

The most distressing thing about this affair is the hyypocritical posturing of the governor. He holds other people up to his "holier than thou standards" both morally and biblically and now begs us to understand his "weakness", his all too common "human failure". He is only sorry because he got caught!!

June 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. kirsten

I feel compassion at this time for the govenor.

June 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Olympia

It is sad that the state of SC does not have a law in place that states that the governor has to advise of his whereabouts and what is worst is the fact that there is not any plan, law, or bill in place for who would take over in the governors absence. It’s bit too late for a bill to be passed now.

June 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Tim M

As I watch the situation unfold in Iran and the reporting on it, I wonder if this were to happen in the USA, would our government act any differently? I would like to think so, but Im not sure.

June 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Alex

Don't feel sorry for cheaters. A cheating affair doesn't just happen, the guilty parties involved make it happen. Don't believe for a minute that the Gov. was not having sexual intercourse with his Argentinean mistress most of these last few days. He disappears to meet the Argentinean mistress and you feel sorry for this cheating lowlife?

June 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Katherine Good

Mr. Cooper-

Just watched your re-cap of the press conference today w/our Governor Mark Sanford... as a hard-working single mother from a conservative New England family who has been living "happily" in South Carolina for the last 11 years... tonight I find myself both DISAPPOINTED and saddened by this unfortunate set of circumstances that has crippled the state of SC once again...

When will our "elected by the people" politicians learn that MORE is expected of them then this constant stream of their humbled confessions of inappropriate marital behavior... "WE THE PEOPLE" are OVER all this nonsense... Buck up, stay focused on the business at hand, and do the job(s) you were elected to do... what ever happened to a strong work ethic and integrity??.

"Governor Sanford, you are a disappointment to the state of South Carolina, shame on you!!"

Regards to you, Mr. Cooper for your objective and thorough coverage of this surprising news story.

Katherine L. Good
    Columbia, SC

June 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Matty

I agree with Eric.

Also would like to comment on Zakiyyah's remark about South Carolina's other problems... the state wouldn't have as many problems if the governor was focusing on his constituents instead of emailing to his Argentian mistress.

As far as guts, he knew it would come out within the next few weeks so just jumped the blazing gun. I had a hunch his disappearance had to do with a woman; and the remark his wife made earlier was that she doesn't know where he is but SHE is with HER boys, not OUR boys.

June 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Joy

It always amazes me that these guys say they are in love – he met with her 3 times in the last year – Just the excitement of that would make me in love with someone as well.........

Why don't these guys put the romance and energy into their marriage like they do into these flings?

It is the ultimate of selfishness – me – me – me – forget the mother of my children and forget my children – it is all about what makes me happy.

June 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Greg Mulholland

He got caught with his "hand" in the cookie jar! Why don't we focus on all of the other issues here at home and abroad that are really more important.

June 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Bob

Govenor Sanford should resign. He does not have the moral center to lead the people of South Carolina. He should focus on his family and do what he can to heal those wounds. He betrayed the trust of his staff, people in South Carolina, and his family. He no longer has the trust of people. If he remains in office, he is a narcissist. I am disappointed that these men of power abuse their roles.

Very disappointing.

June 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Emilio

I'm surprised this is such a scandal, let the man live his life.
    Who doesn't cheat in America?

June 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. patty

When are the people going to realize...ummm do not email your lover...
    and it is impossible to get away with anything....

June 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Keith

I am a native South Carolinian. Let me be clear, I am a Democrat and have noIthing postive to say about Gov. Sanford's "leadership"over the last 6.5 years. Nevertheless, my first thoughts are for the Goverrnor's family and him as well. I've known Gov. Snaford for 20 years and like him peronally. I know It is clearly a difficult time for them and they are in our prayers. Nonetheless, the lack of forethought on the part of my governor (although I did not vote for him) is shocking. His discursive press conference, after what was a long flight from Argentina and drive from Atlanta to Columbia which should have allowed for preparation, gives me great concern for his ability to govern our state. In the interim, I hope the media gives Mrs.Sanford and the boys the space they need at this difficult time. I am embarassed for our state not only because of Gov. Sanford's actions but the glee/guile with which Gov. Sannford's adversary's in his own party have captilized on the situations.

June 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Ellen

. Who in the world is that young african-american woman - is she a teenager?–laughing inappropriately throughout the press conference. you have to find out if she's a blogger for some kids' site or a real press person - or god forbid, a staffer whose salary is being paid by taxpayers. She's goign to wind up an Internet sensation–find out please!
    p.s. candy crowley looks fab these days!

June 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Shoshanah

I don't condone what he did. I think it is shameful when someone cheats on their spouse and destroys their family. I don't want to hear the LEFT's hypocritical rhethoric and condemnation...they are no better. I am sure sone of the are secretly are having affairs and it hasn't come out yet. Also, did we forget the disgraceful behavior of our Commander-In-Chief, bill Clinton and what he did in the White House with Monica Lewinsky...PLEASE! I don't condone either action just stop with the hypocritical moral indignation. They are both scum!

June 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Thomas Mitchell

I could care less about the Governor's affair the Governor. It's the hypocracy that repulses me.

June 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. karen

The governor appaired confused,emotional, talked to much about the woman he had a affair with,was not clear about whether the affair is over, looks like someone who would kill himselve, he needs to be watch

June 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. BARRY MARCUS

My partner and I have been together for 42 years. We have been totally loyal and honest with each other. Perhaps Gov. Sanford and the other hypocrital politicians can learn something from us and possibly agree that our relationship is stronger and ultimately more loving than theirs and deserves to be a legally called "a marriage" since we are in fact more married than they are.

June 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Naddy

Now we know what to expect when those like Sandford who poses as holier and superior than most. This is hypocracy at best on display. I am sure there's more to be revealed.

June 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  41. David

So I just want to know ,in light of this what is it that same sex marraiges do to threaten the fiber of our society. Defense of marraige, um I'm just having a bit of a problem with this!

June 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. eric

Is anybody really surprised another politician has cheated and disgraced his position. We only have ourselves to blame for continuing to elect the idiots running this country. There will be many more politicians doing stupid things before the year is over. Our tax dollars are being well spent dont ya think

June 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Lynn

As a South Carolinaian, I am embarrassed that out govenor disappeared and then reappeared by admitting he had an affair. This is appalling, he wouldnet accept stimilus money until the courts said he had to, and now this. We are all over the national news and I find it embarassing.

June 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. margaret hashmi

Jenny Sanford – gets big diamond for reconcilation with Gov. Sanford.
    Go Jenny!

June 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Shorty

My peeve is the worry he put everyone through by disappearing without a word. I had a relative pull a disappearing act for a few days and the stress of not knowing if they are alright can't be described.

I do admire that he had the guts to admit to the world what really was going on,and wish him and his family the best.

June 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Zakiyyah

I think it is horrible for the media to focus so much attention on this "scandal" The state of South Carolina has greater problems than this. How about you report on more important issues such as joblessness, our schools that are in horrible shape because a lack of a budget, and along with the rest of the country the people that are loosing hope due to these issues. However you would rather waste time reporting on a individual that is going through a mid life crisis.

June 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Susan

Pretty bad when one of your staff members (the short chick with the pony tail) is standing behind you during your soul searching, lay it on down news conference, laughing at your comments and infidelity.

Family values – gotta love those Republicans!

Susan

June 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  48. Larry

A politician having an affair? Nah, they used to say the same things about JFK, none of it true. There's nothing to the rumor of Rev. Jesse Jackson having fathered a kid and is still paying off the mother; wonder if he ever found that stripper who was sexually assaulted by the Duke lacrosse team so that he could pay her tuition, where does the brother get all that $$?

June 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

At least the Governor did not expect his wife to stand beside him while he admitted to the affair to humiliate her further. That is a nice change for once. I also agree with the Governor that the place to resolve the differences and problems in his marriage is not best done in the tv arena or media circus.

June 24, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  50. Alana

I do not understand the fascination over Governor Sanford's affair. It is no one's business and it is a private matter between the governor and his family. Citizens and the media are too involved in the lives of politicians. Unless the affair directly affected the governor's work, he should not feel compelled to resign. Should everyone resign from their job if they have an affair?

June 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm |