June 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/23/09

Tonight on 360°, new evidence Iran's government is tightening its grip. And, new evidence protesters are changing their tactics. Plus, tough talk from President Obama today on the uprising. We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

Turtle tunnel probably not a bad idea, 9000 turtles getting killed on that stretch of road? Build the tunnel. but why 3M?

I guess she wanted a galaxy of stars?

Good night Isabel, good night everyone.

June 23, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Shirin

I am Iranian and I know people in Iran are crying out for help and support from The United States and The EU. Why now that we desperately need help, no countries are willing to protest us is a mystery to me.

June 23, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. leila

Hi, i think president Obama should help the Iranian people in their struggle . That will make history. It will be the only time USA will take stand with the people of Iran.alo , imagine a world without Islamic republic of Iran! a regime that help and founds terrorists in the middle east?

June 23, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Abe

Who would want tattoos like that?
    What a nut.

June 23, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Cambell Brown and Erica!
    A great show today, as usual… thanks!

Good night, friends, David (Indiana), bloggers, everyone!

June 23, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Well, she is just a star! A stoned star! Goodnight all peace to all and the turtles too! XO

June 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

And I think that my son will be teenage ... it scares me!

June 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. gareth

President Obama knows that Iran will take a more aggressive approach if he supports the revolution. The insurrection that is taking place in Iran on behalf of democracy has to be handled internally. We must not get into an accusatory war of words with the regime of Iran...it will only make it worst for those people and us in the future. The best approach is the one the president is doing.

June 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Bruce

Turtle tunnel – shades of Sen. Proxmire and his "golden fleece" award! Appallingly shallow "reporting" of a complicated subject. Join the 21st century!

June 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Campbell, Erica, David G, Edurrado (Ed Henry) and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you on Thursday night!!!
    Day of the shot with Girl have tattoos her face..... That's hilarious shot!! LOL!!!!!! I love "The Shot"

June 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Nathaniel V. Ellis

I for one will join the ranks that believe the President is taking the correct steps by not making comments that would give Iran more political ammunition to inflame the current situation. If the President were to give in to the Republicans "Get Tough" stance and Iran's internal strif worsened, the Republicans would turn on the President quicker than a viper.

June 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Anthonia-california

Goodnight everyone! great show tonight!
    sorry to leave early 😦
    Enjoy your summer!

June 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Lori from IL

About that time -

Good chat tonight, Fellow Bloggers -

I've seen the "tatoo" girl - people never cease to amaze me!

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow...... until tomorrow night – peace.....

June 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Terry G.

This Iran contest is a clear example of our good fortune here in the US. We still have our own issues for the President to solve. Until we are receptive to outsiders, e.g.Iran?, getting involved in our issues here, we should stay out of theirs and help Obama focus on ours.

June 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

Thank you all for your support of the Iranian people!!
    good night all.

June 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Jackson

The US shouldn't try to get involved in Iran's internal troubles. We are not the moral conscience of the world. President Obama is handling it very well.

June 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Carmella

I wish people would stop asking President Obama about his smoking. It's non of our business, it's a violation of his privacy rights to ask. Leave the President alone, if you had as many issues on your plate you'd be smoking too.

June 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Roya Askarpour

I believe president Obama has the right idea, waiting to see if the opposition can take care of the situation on their own.

I hope, however, the tough action is reserved for when, god forbid, the opposition has been crushed.

I'm still optimistic that this uprising will at least, result in removal of Khameneii, who is the biggest obstacle for democracy in Iran!!!!

June 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Sheila

President Obama is a "Peacemaker" and any Christian who knows what Christ said about following Him knows that Obama is doing what Jesus asked His followers to do.

As a Christian, I totally agree with Obama's stance.

June 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  20. parvaneh, NewJersey

I command president Obama for thinking sensibly. He appears to actually care about the people. These protests must not in any shape or form be conntected to the US othewise they will take a wrong direction and may not be sucessful. I support President Obama's direction.

June 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. bigbob

We the people of the United States, should be glad that we have a president that doesn't listen to media-hype concerning of the countries until we solve our problems in the United States.

June 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Isabel, Brazil

It’s cool know that the president did not smoke in front of the family.

June 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Chrissy

Hey, let the turtles have their tunnel in Florida. We spend millions on crap like movies and cable TV. At least the tunnel saves the lives of people who drive on the highway and the animals as well.

June 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Ronney Lee, Torrance, CA

The tragic events in Iran are sad. However, there is nothing any single state can do to change things. The people of Iran are doing what they feel and know is right for their country. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Iran. Faith and time can and will make a change. Dictator's dictate, faith last for ever.

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Bobby

I think the president is doing the right thing by being patient because a quick reaction to the Iran problem would be nothing different than the last administration. A quick reaction would look as if the U.S. if fighting for their own interest like they have been known for in the eyes of other countries. He is not even 100% sure that the election was fraud even though it is very likely. The president has priorities and cannot speak out immediately on behalf of everyone that calls out help . He is still trying to rescue the millions of people here in the United States.

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. ted

As a foreigner who lived in lived in Iran for 2 years until May 2008, I found many local critics of the current 'rule of law' and was assured that a 'velvet' revolution was already in place.

38 years rule under the Shah ended in revolution, 30 years under the Ayatollah is undergoing the same revolution. Freedom has a price, the Iranian people must decide if the price is worth their freedom.

Mr. Obama is 'right on' in his approach, tread carefully with the application of US Foreign policy!

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Fay

In response to your question tonight about " what the president obama's position should be in respect to Iran's goverment" ? As an Iranina American I like to see him not to have any dialogue with the iligitimae goverment of Iran. That would be very unjust to all iraninans who are putting their lives in line to free themselves from this dictator regim and ignorant on the side of president Obama who stands strongly for freedom and democracy .
    Thanks CNN

Fay

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. lenworth lauther

i think the president has done the right thing and continues to do so. if the president medels in iran's internal affair he would play into the regimes hand. the ayatolla would come on public tv and say that the protesters are supported by the great satan, he would then unleash the revolutionry gaurds on the protesters.

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Jim M

Normally, I would call the turtle tunnel as a crazy idea. However, having hit two of these moving speed bumps on this section of road at night with one almost causing me to swerve out of my lane, they are a safety hazard to drivers. At least it is a project that will create jobs here in the U.S. and not sending jobs over seas like Government Motors.

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

P.S. on the turtles~ We are suppose to be the stewards of the planet, aren't we?

June 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Sergio

knowing the history of Iran, there is nothing that the President can say or do, that will effect the course of there immidiate history, is up to them, they know it, this is their moment and they are acting....SG

June 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Terry

I strongly believe that President Obama has taken the correct position on Iran. The United States should not stick our nose in it. We will only give the radical Islamic leaders reason to kill more people if they believe the US is involved or responsible for protests. The US has messed up in the past when dealing with Iran (CIA overthrown in 1953) let's learn from our mistakes.

June 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Carmella

I am happy for the turtles, if you were a turtle you would want the tunnel. I am all about protecting wild life.Hooray for the turtles. They can breath a little longer.

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. stuart sheridan

the us should take advantage today to bring freedom to the people of Iran if we don't we will pay a heavy price latter this opportunity to fight the present dictatorship is a must today the people of I ran can not do it with out the free world steping in immidiatly and fight with them side to side if they wait it will be more costly in lives and integrety for the sake of democracy for the brave and liberty for all.
    have no fear America is ??
    Sincerely, Stu.

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Max Sahba

President Obama's comments on Iran are right . He should not get any further involved at this point. He should ignore all advice from the likes of McCain.

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  36. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

I think it is cool that there are tunnels for turtles. Hey, some species are endangered and some run over them on purpose. I have seen it.
    I hate to see splattered sweet turtles on the highway. God just did not teach them about cars. Go figure~

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Michael Joseph Chalk

President Obama is doing exactly the right thing by playing it cool on the Iran situation. The Republicans are the absolutely last people one should listen to when developing a Middle Eastern strategy. Their results indicate that they are far from experts in dealing with past and the current issues in that part of the world.

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  38. Isabel, Brazil

How does the turtles cross the road?
    With your money ...

This is absurd! Reminds me my country, alas!

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Annie Kate

I agree with Mike from MO – lets take care of our own poor and homeless instead of fighting other countries' wars. The poor and our infrastructure and education and everything else that is wrong in this US we should put a higher priority on.

June 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  40. Jasmine

they have these little tunnels in Australia to help their wildlife out...It's alright, maybe though it would be better if the project created more permanent jobs....

June 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!! I love turtle!!! it is so amazing I see!!!!! That is my favorite turtle!!!!!!!!!!!

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. E. D.

The President has made the right statements regarding the Iran crisis. The Republicans are expecting tough cowboy talk, but Obama is a intellectual chess player, not a cowboy. I can appreciate the difference.

E.D.

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  43. Andre

As an Iranian American, I support president Obama's stand on Iran. He is right on the target about staying out of what's going on in Iran and leaving it to the Iranian people to do their own fight.

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good night bloggers ,Campbell and Erica
    Anderson whrere ever he is ?

Great show again see you tomorrow !

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Regina Gatewood

We are in two wars and a recession and the average American can not afford health care. Let Obama help us.

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Mitchell Kresch MD

The President is right on target on his statements and comments about Iran. He cannot give the impression that the U.S. government is meddling in the internal politics of Iran. We've been down that road several times in the past with bad results.

The republican critics in the Senate and House can "bark" all they want about how they feel about Iran. I make the analogy that these are the junk-yard dogs that bark and bark (and let them bark), but President Obama is our leader who will say the right thing without repeating the mistakes of history.

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Robbin

I think Obama should have spoke out sooner but I'm glad he finally did. This country was founded on human rights and we set the example!

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Kevin, New Jersey

OBAMA is doing exactly what I expected. Its perfect. I voted for him because I wanted smart, calm decisions. Not gun blazing invasions and rude comments televised around the world. Our president is bringing pride back.

White male / 41 years old

June 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Alisa

I support the President in the tone & pace he is taking. While I don't think we should meddle in Iran's election fight, I do believe it is our duty as peace keepers & as a voice for freedom support the citizens of Iran whom are seeking their own "change". the Iranians & others did not meddle in our previous years elections over fraudulent voting misconduct. I think People need to understand the underlying issues.

June 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |