June 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/22/09

Tonight on 360°, we'll have the latest details on the deadly subway collision in Washington, DC. At least six people have been killed.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

My prayers go out to the people on baord the train .So much sadness in the world Iran is falling apart and the violence won't stop.

June 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

The videos and especially the sounds of the home invasions at night are terrify and chilling to listent to.

The people of Iran who are demonstrating for the "freedom" are very courageous. It should remind us all that freedom is never free.

Thank God for technology for getting the info of Iran out to the world.

June 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. james dunaway

with still a possibility of an incumbent win in iran, why would anyone promote violent protests and not respect due process, similar to the bush v. gore election where gore actually was proven to have more votes and still lost. where did the earlier violence of attica state or kent state riots get us?

June 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. David Costa

Prayers to the families of the d.c. Train casualties. Iran I feel is in the midst of fundamental change-neda has truly become a martyr

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Emily

The government should be doing more to help iran, and I pray for all those in protests. Democracy and freedom is to be preserved, and sometimes violence is the only answer when no one will listen. Peace and love to all 🙂

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Nikki

I am so proud of my fellow Iranians and I hope their bravery is continuous. We should show our support not for the political movement but for their freedom!

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

Wow John – first thing in the morning and last thing at night. You're going to be tired I bet. Good to see you in the anchor chair again though at 360.

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. LorenaR

what an amazing segment your reporter from Iran just did. he is to be commended. the chaos in the streets by day, the screams of mothers, ending with people shouting in the night from rooftops. no reality show could ever ever depict this tragic event. I cannot believe that we are living through this.

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Dulcie, Im happy to hear your friend was not on the train.

Its sad that the protests have gone so far as people dying. I know some peopel died earlier in the protests but its sad that a peaceful protest turns violent and people start dying

June 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. An

Wish Anderson have a safe day.

June 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Steve

I am a long-time rider of the DC metro. And I believe the accident was indeed a driver error. Some of the drivers do not appear to be overly educated – if their mangling of the English language when announcing train stops and providing directions is any indication...

June 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Jasmine

Sharks and Dahmer? Um, do we want to know the connection :O

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Larry

More videos of students getting shot and some killed. Great courage in the face of overwhelming force. Iran is a tragedy unfolding.

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Theresa

I think this situation is so sad and terrible. My family all takes the metro to and from work. My sister actually does ride the red line around that same time but happend to be off or work today (thank God). My dad is a station manager in the metro subway at a different location. I my thoughts and prayers are with all of the victums and their families, as this all has hit so close to home for me. God bless.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Marie

I need to report to the authorities that I was on th redline headed to DC about 4:45-4:50 boarding at Medical Center. The system was acting very weird. The train sat for some minutes (this is not a place the train lingers) and we could hear horns in the tunnel, to the point I became concerned. We finally moved forward progressing fairly normally to the next stop. However, between the Bethesda and Friendship Heights stop the train sat for minutes, moved forward, then sat again. This is very weird behavior for the redline. I exited at about 5:03. This strange scenario indicates to me something was wrong with the system as we approached 5 p.m. Please, please, please pay attention to these reports on the other side of the redline track.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Jasmine

the video in the dark with all the screaming has to be the creepiest protest I have ever heard.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

I admire that young woman's courage to go out to protests, but when this kind of violence is breaking out, it's unwise. I wouldn't let a son or daughter of mine go out into the violence I see in Iraq. A protest rally is one thing, on going clashes with police, with police firing on crowds and beating protesters is another thing.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  18. glen

Infrastructure , reliability and trust is crumbling in usa, Ever wonder why?

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to 19 years old woman..... It's so horrible to image picture of her...... My breaking heart for protesters to rally need peace..... Too hard to image this picture......

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Krasi

So scary to see some of these people walking with their young kids on the streets surrounded by violence...

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Dustin Furseth

The DC accident is surely tragic, I ride MTA in NYC 3to4 times a day and it's something riders never even think about. I pray for the family's of the deceased and hope for the safe recovery of the injured. Let's remember this is the safest mode of transportation in the country, viewers would be frightened if the news reported how many died or critically injured today in automobile accidents. Hopefully the errors will be corrected so these incidents become a thing of the past.

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Tom

I travel on the DC metro every day, and just this morning was reflecting how infrequent accidents are. How haunting to hear about today's tragedy that occured on the same train line I ride on every day between DC and Maryland.

June 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. starr formerly known as vincent

I was glued to CNN a better part of the weekend watching the video and twitter info coming out of Iran.

The young woman who has spoken several times and taken pic's at terrific danger is a credit to her country! Many, many brave women (young & old) are reported to be out in a large number. God Bless them!

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. ali

Regime’s Deadly Coup and Its run for going Nuclear

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. George

someone said the sensor that is supposed to slow the train , if something is in front of it. they think it did not function properly

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening! I was glad to learn my friend wasn't on either of those trains. Now my thoughts go to the injured and the families of the victims.

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Isabel, Brazil

The others victims have no face. Neither number. Only now, the regime in Iran is beginning to accept death. How many will? But they remain faceless.

June 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Serge Bakmeijer

Did they check the mobile phone of the metro driver? was she texting at the moment? Crucial point, AC360 covered this issue a couple of days ago!

June 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

Hello John Roberts good to see you a tough day though to anchor for Andreson, evening Erica, Isabel.

Very sorry to hear about the six people who died in the DC train collision.

The impact of a train is basically unstoppable because of the tremendous momentum of the weight of all the cars in the train. One of the most dangerous kinds of accident that there is. So I feel there is some kind of terrible lapse in the system to allow this to happen.

My question is wasn't there radio communication in addition to the automatic system to warn the train engineer of another train up ahead on the tracks.

June 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Lori from IL

Hello Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Good report by Joe Johns on the DC train crash - my thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

Pictures out of Iran are so tragic.

Hope "The Shot" puts a smile on our face tonight - think we are going to need it after this hour of news!

June 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Jasmine

driving while distracted, this is something that you learn when you first walk into driver's ed in any sort. Is it that hard to pay attention to what's in front of you?

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! So sad ,the DC trainwreck....

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Kristen, MD

Train accident is terrifying, was just on it today wow. My prayers are with all the victims and their families. Metro has some explaining to do.

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Krasi

Wow! Getting distracted while driving that train – I hope that's not the cause.

June 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hopefully this crash is not another text involved crash like the one earlier in CA

June 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Isabel,
    I think she made error the operator wrong track or maybe she can't see other train was coming this way.......

June 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hopefully texting or cell phone use isn't a factor yet again.

June 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. LorenaR

sorry to hear! when you are underground, how helpless must be the feeling. i was on the Tube in london and we stopped for a while: i was petrified. my sympathy to the victims & families, hope there will not be more. nice to see John Roberts.

June 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Jasmine

incredible how metro crashes still happen, it seems like an outdated thing. How sad that we still have to deal with this. 🙁

June 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening 360 team and all bloggers. What a terrible tragedy in D.C. How did this happen?

June 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  41. starr formerly known as vincent

Excellent report by Joe Johns.

Our prayers and thoughts are sent to the family & friends of victims.

How could this happen on such a busy and sophisticated train line?

June 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is a scary crash to see and I imagine scarier to be on. My prayers go out to everyone involved in that crash

June 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John R, Erica, Edurrado(Ed Henry) David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    That’s so terrible I saw 2 trains collided each other, My heart goes to victim’s family………. This afternoon I saw breaking news on Situation Room.

June 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Isabel, Brazil

Do they know the cause of the crash yet? Was it operational error, or something else?

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello J.R. (glad to see you on later-am show too early Mountain time) & entire 360 team.
    Hellow fellow bloggers. Something tells me we are going to have a lot to talk about tonight!

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. An

Hi Anderson.

Hi bloggers.

Accidents are trully hurtful. Wish the helping things may come to the unfortunate people.

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening all. John, are you going to be on American Morning tomorrow as well? Little bit of moonlighting for you.

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Isabel, Brazil

Hi friends, David (Indiana), bloggers, 360 team …

Feliz Aniversário, Megan Dresslar!!!
    Happy Birthday, Megan Dressler! 🙂

How many images and impressive today. Very sad!

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jasmine

Hey bloggers! Hopefully your Monday went swell!!! 😀

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening everyone and happy Monday! Had a great and long vaca and now its back to reality

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |