June 19th, 2009

Happy Father’s Day from my therapist

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/06/19/art.vert.jack.gray.dad.jpg caption="Jack Gray and his father, John Gray, circa 1985." width=292 height=320]

Jack Gray
AC360° Producer/Writer

I am not a good athlete. The only sport at which I ever showed a modicum of skill while growing up was tennis. And even then I was less concerned about my serve than I was about squeezing in a Marlboro Medium before practice.

It’s not that I didn’t want to be a good athlete. It just wasn’t in the cards. And, frankly, I was fine with that. But my father, intent on instilling in me a commitment to one day put him in a nursing home against his will, insisted I stick with the teams on which he had signed me up behind my back.

There was soccer, which I objected to on the grounds that there wasn’t a snack bar. There was basketball, which discriminated against those of us unnerved by buzzers. And, of course, there was football, an experience that immediately downgraded my father’s twilight years from a mediocre nursing home to one known for its health code violations.

Still, I hung in there, remaining on whatever sponsored-by-the-local-pizza-parlor team I was on until the end of each season. And, as much as I hate to admit it, not every game was awful. Sure, I spent a lot of time on the sidelines, staring at my shoelaces and planning what I’d say when Connie Chung grilled me on the circumstances surrounding my dad’s lawnmower “accident.” But, there was the occasional triumph, like the time I hit a home run in Little League. Let me tell you, it doesn’t get much better than that. It’s a moment that’s stayed with me all these years, not just because I can so clearly recall the thrill of watching the ball sail over the left field fence, but because it was witnessed by my father. Also in attendance at that game was my grandfather, who apparently had a few free minutes in between arguments with the staff at Radio Shack.

Fast forward to the present…I’ve long since come to terms with my place on the athletic ladder. And after years of me responding to his holiday sports challenges with a middle finger and a re-fill of Mimosa, my dad has stopped trying to recruit me for anything that involves fresh air and/or character building.

Nevertheless, our bond is strong and I realize that I am, in many respects, who I am because of my father. A passion for politics, an addiction to Chevy Chase movies and the ability to sniff out any pancake parlor within a 25-mile radius; our similarities outweigh our differences.

He is a man of humility, compassion and respect…and I wish him a very happy Father’s Day.

That said, the nursing home is a done deal.

Follow Jack Gray on Twitter @JackGrayCNN

1. Obie Shelton

At first, your blog made me wonder if I could somehow be screwing up my teenaged son with how I try to guide him-not force him-but urge him to do things that will build character. By the end of your blog, I concluded that I'm not screwing him up-that even if I make a mistake, the fact that I'm spending time and taking an interest in him will help him as an adult. I found your blog entertaining and thoughtful.

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  2. Dale Herbach

On 9/11 our world changed, regardless of our country, politics, race, religion, creed or gender, all the free, democratic people of the world for that day had become Americans. Simply put the Americans were not only our allies and friends they were us and we were them.

The attack on the USA was an attack on every democratic country in the world. It wasn’t an attack just on America; it was an attack on all of us. Again realizing freedom comes with a price.

In 2009 the Iranian election which has had numerous flaws that have not been properly addressed and would indicate the election was a fraud. This is making a similar mark on the democracies of the world.

Although for political reasons the world leaders cannot condemn the election for fear of making Iran look like it maybe a puppet government. And as such most world leaders rightfully have to stop short in condemning the election. So it’s up to us as a people.

I, as a Canadian citizen do not have to worry about political correctness. I am convinced as there has been no believable evidence given by the government of Iran to prove the contrary that the election was not fixed.

For all Iranian people who like we believe in a democracy. I wish to express my deepest heartfelt gratitude. You have made a heroic statement of which, the democratic world is watching and praying for you.

Although I cannot speak for everyone it is becoming more evident everyday, the common people from all the democracies of the world are hoping, wishing, and praying for you in your demand for accountability from the election. We are not talking tens or hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands here we are talking millions if not billions of people.

Every time one goes out to protest in Iran (if you are aware of it or not) there are millions of people behind each of you (outside of Iran). Hoping and praying for accountability that you so desperately seek. We are also hoping you return safely without harm or arrest.

I like most people; pray that God keeps you well and out of harms way. That God protects you and gives you strength to keep going during these trying times. We pray that this issue can be resolved without further bloodshed. I hope the Iranian people realize that are not alone in your quest for justice and freedom. The world is behind you.

I believe to show support for our democratic brother and sisters in Iran that we wear the color green of the Iranian people to publicly show our support and love for democracy and freedom and they have on such a extreme.

Dale Herbach
    Proud Canadian

June 22, 2009 at 3:14 am |
  3. Heather

Hi Jack,
    Your story was very touching. I lost my Dad 23 years ago and have many fond memories of him.How I wish he were here today so I could give him a hug and best wishes. Happy Father's Day to your Dad and to you for being such a good "Dad" to Sammy.

June 22, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  4. gill - north of 49

Thanks Dad, for all the great times spent in various arenas or in front of the TV, thanks for giving your girls the lifetime love of hockey. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's who dragged (and still drag) their kids to all manner of sporting events for the ultimate bonding experience !
    Jack, thanks again for another great post .

June 21, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  5. Ratna, New York, NY

Along with Anderson Cooper, I am shedding tears on this day, because my father passed away 3 weeks prior to 9/11 on my younger brother's b'day. Yah, I was already in mourning when I watched those towers crashing down.

We used to celebrate the month of August grantly with my father's and both my bro's b'days happening this month. To have my father pass away by having a stroke at the moment he was giving farewell speech at his retirement party (after the minister of Health and colleagues had each their own 2-HOUR speeches) is still devastating and traumatizing to our minds. My mom blames the nurse-assistant -who worked years for my father (forgot to mention that he was a immunology doctor)- who made a remorseful comment that raised Dad's blood pressure. We all blame Mom for raising Dad's bloodpressure. It was his 3rd stroke over 6 years.

Happy Father's Day!!!

June 21, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  6. Khashayar

Its so complicated to have the right feeling. I have never been so sad. I am sad because I am helpless. I am sad because we are so prothetic in Los Angeles that Amanpour has to interview Azzita Shirazi, GharibAfshar, Shiva Rose, and Aghdaslou as our spokes people.
    I am sad because Amanpour whom I admire, puts a quick program together for CNN, embarrassing us by bringing these non-relevant folks on, and give them an unwarranted voice.
    I am sad that right wing Americans that months ago were calling for the bombing of our people, now have become the devils advocate of supporting our people, Ann Colber, Mc Caine,Mike Pence, and Nitan Yahoo and the other political opportunists, like vultures are hoping a nation tears itself apart.
    To our youth I say not to ever assume that other countries support them without their self interests, and agendas as history has proven that. In Cuba the American backed cubans were left to be slaughtered by Fidel's troops. In 90s the provoked Shiites up rising in Iraq which the Bush Senior did not support them and they were slaughtered by Sadam. You are are intelligent, sophisticated, and not suppressible, but I think that your struggle should be through the system, and not to cause harm to our nation. Having said that I wish our great nation peaces, freedom, and democracy. But a home grown democracy. One once said a home grown dictatorship serves me better than a democracy brought up by others. God bless Iran, and may God look after our youth, and our nation.

Khashayar

Tehran-Iran
    =

June 21, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  7. Mona

loved your tribute to your dad, Jack. As an adopted daughter I always wished I could have known my bio father (died in military). Adopted dad cut off all contact with us after his wife died. But I have always maintained that I did learn from their mistakes and the pain they inflicted on others and then moved on. WAH, WAH., WAH. Thanks Jack, also loved the photo. Happy Fathers day.

June 21, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Rebekah

That was beautiful, Jack! Loved it! a perfect little reminder that even though dad might not have been the perfect definition of a dad or exactly what one might have wanted – most of us still realize that and still honestly say "hey, Dad, this may be a collect call n'everything... but, I love you."

June 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Norma Labno

06/21/09

Some Mom's simply aren't cut out for that role. It doesn't seen to be
    in their DNA!

My Dad was Mom AND Dad to me so I'm missing him doubly today!

He did so very much for me, I could write an encyclopedia; but I'll stick
    with one of my favorite things and one of his!

I loved to go to the movies and he loved baseball; and that's mostly
    what we did for recreation. While he was enjoying the game, I was
    gorging on hot dogs and sodas! To this day I can't smell a hot dog
    (or a cigar) without thinking of my Dad.

He seemingly – cheerfully – took me to the movies whenever I asked!
    We roared at Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis comedies and I ran out of the
    theatre during the original "War of the Worlds"!

On one occasion, he thought he saw a man in the row behind us
    touching my hair. He stood up tall, all 5'4" inches of him, and roared
    like a Lion! Of course we were escorted out (but I never loved my
    Daddy more!!!)

Dad, though you're not here, I hope you're near! Wherever you are in your journey in the afterlife; I carry you always in my heart; and AS
    LONG AS I LIVE, YOU LIVE – DEARLY BELOVED FATHER!

norma from nevada

June 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  10. Heather White

Thanks so much Jack. My Dad died 4 years ago and he was a great guy. Each year on his birthday and Fathers Day, I take $40.00 and hit the casino, just like when he was around. Some years are better than others, but this year he'll be proud to know I walked out with $450. Hell, he probably had something to do with it! Thanks Dad!
    As you can tell, your father will always influence you, so choose that nursing home well!

June 21, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  11. Venetia

Happy Father's Day Daddy. John Witty, actor, broadcaster, writer, Oxford scholar, World War 11 veteran. 17th September 1915 – Jan 14th 1990. Father to Venetia, Jinni, Josh and Sara. You will live on in our hearts and in your movies – I must have watched you as Captain Entenza in "Captain Horatio Hornblower" with Gregory Peck a hundred times! I know you are at peace now.

June 21, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  12. Frank

God, can I ever relate to this! Hysterical! Thanks for sharing.

June 21, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  13. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Nice tribute, Jack! Love the pic as well. Wishing all the Dad's out there a great Father's Day!

@ChrisSosa

June 21, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  14. Scott Stodden

Happy Father's Day 2009 to all the Father's out there here in the United States and around the world. Today is your day, the day to celebrate the people we call father's. Im so thankful for my mother and father, that there still together after 28yrs. My father Michael Stodden is a Vietnam vetern, and at the age of 60yrs old he is still working at a tire factory, Daddy thank you for everything you've done for me thus far, Im so proud of you and everything you do. Happy Father's Day 2009

June 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  15. lisa

Great article an tribute to your dad as a daugther there's a different father daugther relationship that we've with our dads we were mostly warned from the dating boys until your 100 get a great education an don't let any one treat you less than how I've love you thnx dad for every in sight you've given me an happy fathers day to all you amazing days

June 21, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  16. Lori

No one has the perfect dad. Mine was not. He did his best, and I am so happy that he is still here so I can hug him and tell him "I love you".

June 21, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  17. Don, WA

Great and funny blog! My dad lives along the coast, too far for me to see him today. My best memories growing up are from spending summers commercial salmon fishing with him. Once there was a pod of orcas a ways off, all the salmon boats headed the opposite direction (orcas scare off salmon and can get tangled in lines). But my dad pulled up the lines and headed over to them so I could check them out, he knew he was losing money by doing it but did it anyway (I was about 12 then). One of the whales came up to the boat and swam on it's side to have a look – I looked right in his eye – I'll never forget it – thanks dad. Also he practiced throwing the football with me and helped me win a 3rd place trophy in the "punt pass and kick" contest when I was 10. That was a good day for both of us. Happy Father's Day.

June 21, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  18. Arash

After talking with my relative in Iran, yesterday my family member said her friend was attacked by a guard in the streets, when she started begging him to stop beating her up, she found out the guard could not speak in Farsi, Palestinians in Iran, they are importing Palestinians to kill people of Iran. Please report this as unconfirmed report at least, I have trusted your integrity, please believe me.

Arash

June 21, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  19. george, shopgemma

nice blog jack im 77 and a father of 4 , 2 boys and 2 girls, my youngest is 44, and we all get along very good

June 21, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  20. Roweena

Very well said and you've got a cute picture out here too.

I've felt the same way, I've been so happy to see my Dad proud of me doing well in life and I've always considered myself a daddy's daughter having his passion for music, reading, OCD! (sometimes)...

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's.

June 21, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  21. Wesley

If I new who my "Father's", were, I would write something like that. All in all, your a great writer Jack. Thanks – Wesley of Yarnell...

June 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  22. Wesley

If I new who my "Father's", were, I wold write something like that. All in all, your a great writer Jack. Thanks – Wesley of Yarnell...

June 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Very nice, Jack! Happy Father's Day to all the Daddy's out there! Have a great day!

June 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  24. John

Very nice read!

June 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  25. Susan

Jack,

You honored your Dad with love and humor. As a parent, it doesn't get any better than that. I hope the two of you will be enjoying the day together. You do look like your Dad. Pass on a Happy Father's day from a trusted viewer! 🙂

June 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  26. shah vara

PLEASE share with auidence and keep it up.. Keep American politicians (Democrat and Republican antics) from interfering in Iranian politics, at this juncture. It would greatly hurt the organic Iranian opposition actions, as they will be tied to US, by the Mullas' propaganda. . Obama has been wise and right to stay out.

June 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  27. Helen, Reading, UK

Hey bloggers, long time no Tweet!
    Nice picture of you and your Dad, Jack! Yours is one good looking family, I must say.
    Time for me to pay tribute to my Daddy B – I think Frenchie summed it up best in Grease when she told Sandy 'The only man a girl can rely on is her Daddy'.
    There's no doubting my father has given me so much in life. .. like flatulence, excessive body hair, my control freak tendencies, hypochondria, impatience, the inability to suffer fools gladly, dodgy sinuses and the ability to swear like a trooper.
    But he has also given me generosity, affection, humour, loyalty, hard work and money..and plenty of all of them over the years.
    I would be truly lost without him, so here's to you, Daddy B – thanks for everything. I love you more than chocolate, football and Anderson Cooper (sorry, Coop!)
    Hope all of you have a great Father's Day – Jack, I trust Sammy bought you something nice, even if you did have to spot her a $20 for it..

June 21, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  28. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Jack,
    What a nice picture of you and your Dad. You're such a cute little boy. Your post is so funny. Hope you have a great weekend! Have a nice Father's Day, whatever you end up doing. Take care – talk to you later.

June 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  29. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Great post. The older I get, the more I appreciate my dad (especially since my mom died). This father's day, though, I am missing my godfather who died two years ago. He was my dad's only brother. I was his only niece. I just miss his constant presence, protection, and love. While we talk about dads and how great they are (mine is), there is a special place for godfathers and uncles, too, and the power they have to influence and love us unconditionally in a way parents can't. Here's to the dads, godfathers, grandpas, uncles, and brothers out there who make or made a difference in our lives.

June 20, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  30. Eleanor Coombs, Ga

Jack ,I have to give credit to CNN blog for even knowing who you are. Being retired, incurable and all the good things that goes with age, AC360* has turned me on to many of its commentators , such as yourself. I now have something to do other than watching the news channels between my selective programs. You dear Jack make my day every time I read your blog. I absolutely adore what you have to say. Thank you for being a good American son to your Dad who knows that you are done deal!

June 20, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  31. Marcelle

Hi Jack

You such a mush! I love it. Neither of my kids have any interest in sports, I personally don't have a competititve bone in my body so there you go! I don't really understand the sports addiction, I personally have a shoe s addiction but that's another "blog". Have a great weekend and see you on twitter!

Marcelle @runwhenyoucan

June 20, 2009 at 7:31 am |
  32. Lori

Hey Jack, looks like you were a bundle of energy !!! Your Dad seems to b relaxing:) If there's 1 thing parent's know, its spending time with their children, and loving them no matter what~ 🙂 Happy morning coffee ~ ~Dl Great photo, love B/W. heartfelt sharing, thanks.

Have a blessed weekend ~ Lori

June 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  33. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Jack

Thanks for sharing your stories on your Dad he must be so proud of you . So you were not good at sports i myself was born with two left feet and everyone made fun of me it was hell in school ,I guess you showed them now with all your sucess way to go Jack !

Have a happy father's day to your dad!

Michelle D.

June 19, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  34. Kat Turner

Long before Brad & Angelina made international families all the rage, my dad just wanted to relieve the suffering of one. My eight siblings and I didn't always appreciate the man our dad was growing up, but I believe as adults we've all come to respect what he instilled in us.

June 19, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  35. Jan

Mr. John Gray,
    You are indeed blessed to have such a talented son. Jack might not be able to excel in sports, but his words score every time. Be proud and have a very happy Fathers Day!

June 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  36. Annie Kate

Jack

Your father sounds wonderful – I hope you at least upgrade his nursing home in the future a few notches. Football, baseball, soccer – the typical fare growing up these days. I signed my son up for these sports too as well as my daughters. My daughters loved the teams and the sports and played for many years (I got a bad case of bleacher back from it), but my son – well he didn't care for the refreshments and he was missing his cartoons so he did the required one season and quit (that was the deal you see- try it for a season and if you don't like it you can do something else – his something else was watching cartoons and blowing up star wars action figures).

His big moment in soccer came when someone kicked the ball right to him – there was no one around him and he could have taken that ball down the field for a goal. I had big visions in my mind but he didn't – he looked down at the ball, prodded it a little with his foot with everyone screaming at him to kick it and run, and then he did what the crowd was saying- he ran without the ball – he didn't even run toward the goal – he just ran. All the parents looked at me and they all moved away from me on the bench. I couldn't show my face for the next several games after that one because his team lost the game....I don't think it was just his fault that they lost but he could have made it 1 point less of a loss if he had done the "right" thing. Then they wouldn't have lost by 20 points – just 19.

My dad's favorite thing to do with us was to have a snowball fight with us in the winter (he always won) and in the summer to show us the lovely expanse of grass on our yard and then hand us the lawnmower. My mother had made the mistake of planting the pasture variety of the grass in our yard instead of the yard variety and it grew fast and thick and was the very devil to cut. We went through a lot of lawn mowers. He gave me my lifelong aversion to houses with yards.

Dad also teased us a lot – from there is a boy on the line asking for you (nope) to looking at my grades on my report card – "Um....try to do better next time. All A's isn't the best you can do". Dad taught us a lot and I wish he was still around today – he died a few years ago of Alzheimers. By the time he died he didn't know who we were but he did know who mother was and he knew that he was Elvis. (That isn't what his driver's license said though). He wouldn't sing for us because he said it got too many girls screaming (and dogs howling) and while it was sad what the disease did to him at least he went out in style – Elvis my friends has left the building.

Hope everyone's father has a great father's day!! Thanks for sharing your memories Jack.....

June 19, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  37. Kristen-University Park, PA

Not a fan of Fathers Day but great blog Jack as usual.

June 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  38. Sean

What a great piece. And I'm totally with you on being forced into the sports against my will.

June 19, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  39. Stacy Kopper

My parents married late in life and were destined to only produce one offspring. My father was sure it was going to be the first Jewish quarterback for Notre Dame, but he got me.

The fact that I was a girl did not dissuade him, much like Jack's father, in trying to take part in sports. First came the model airplane kits and Nerf footballs. Then it was ice hockey and tennis. Finally a quick stab at handball proved that I was never going to "athletic" so we settled on going to football games - Notre Dame on Saturdays, Bears games on Sundays - where I vaguely remember thermoses of hot sake martinis or spiked hot chocolate so we didn't mind the cold Midwestern Winters.

To Dad's credit, I could never use the excuse "because I'm a girl" to get out of doing anything. There were the piloting licenses at 16, the deep-sea fishing trips and white water rafting trips throughout my life. When, in my mid-30's I snuck out and tried AFF parachuting, my father's only response was "Where's the video?" When I said it cost to much, he gave me the money to throw myself out of a plane again and get video. Hum, what was I thinking?

So, looking back on this third father's day without him, I am reminded that I have many colorful memories not usual of my group – feeding the bears marshmallows in Yellowstone (it was the 60's and we didn't know any better then), sitting with a bag of peanuts so that the resident ground squirrels would cover me for his photoshoot, and finally getting bitten by a raccoon in Yosemite and having him pour Peroxide on it and moving on (remember, I was the expendable child since I wasn't the boy he wanted).

But back to football. Many years ago, I worked an event where some of the San Diego Chargers were making an experience. Doug Flutie was one of them. My father was also in attendance. On our way back to the car, Dad chuffed me on the shoulder and said, "He's not that much taller than you! You could have played if you wanted to." Yeah, somehow the thought of me, a 5'2" female, standing over center was laughable, but obviously old wishes die hard.

June 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  40. Rose

Jack,

I'm sure dad is beaming with pride as he reads this...what a fitting father's day tribute. I can certainly relate to the sports stories...I'm still trying to figure out which way to run on the soccer field.

This brings up some great memories:)

June 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  41. jackie hutton

Love your story, I am 47 single parent to one son, when I was 5, my dad brought me to usa from croatia-best thing he did for me, soon others from croatia followed, dad still has a heavy european accent, I don't, as the years pass and I get older I think of the one apt. one set of clothing he had to wear to work everyday, when he came to usa, and how he fixed typewriters for a living-my heart is more touched and I am thankful, his brother came to usa and had a son jerry zovko, he died horricly and I witnessed it on cnn, so jerry was born in usa and was proud to serve-no one could talk him out of going to iraq.

My son has more freedom, opprotunitys being here-we live in tx. We love you dad. Online Jerry Zovko–I think of you everyday cousin.

June 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  42. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Jack!
    That is so sweet! Happy Father's Day Mr. Gray! You did a good job!
    Gosh, I miss my Dad. He has been gone for three years now and I still miss him like a knife in my heart.
    Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there.
    Heaven knows there is nothinng more Godly than the love of a Father.
    Amen!
    Love and hugs and peace!
    @BettyAnnTx

June 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  43. @Jewelleigh

Thanks for the hear warming blog Jack.

I'm miss my father every day. Being a woman I didn't have to endure the sports stuff (poor dad had 3 girls to raise by himself) I always wanted him to be proud of me, and he was.

Love and miss you dad!

June 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  44. Nurit - 1 family. friendly. food.

I love this story.
    Wish I had a good one to share...

June 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  45. joseph.j

First of all it would be un-American, to not like Chevy Chase, movies, and being a father myself only makes me think of my late father and the summers spending at his corner fastfood resturant, some of us don't know how good we have it to still have one, but to me he will always be , and as long as God, exist, I definatly have a father, enjoyed your article Jack.

–joseph jones (AC360 Follower)

June 19, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  46. Paula V.

Jack,

Great post and CUTE picture. I'm sure he's very proud of you, despite not making it onto the ATP tennis tour.

June 19, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  47. Amy P

I loved the blog. I barely survived the few tennis games I played with your father as a kid (he had a mean serve. And by that I mean lethal if it came in contact with your head). I agree with all of the nice things you said about him too...Happy Father's Day to Sammy's Dad.

June 19, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  48. Debi Moore

Very sweet blog, Jack, with just enough of your typical edge to keep it real. I miss my dad every single day, especially at Father's Day. He played a large part in making me the person I am today. You and I are lucky to have great relationships with our fathers – it's rare and invaluable.

June 19, 2009 at 2:28 pm |