June 18th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and World Refugee Day

Cate Vojdik
AC360º Writer

Tonight on 360º, you’ll hear Angelina Jolie bring to life the plight of 42 million people whose individual stories of terror–and survivorship–are often untold. In an interview months in the making, she talks to Anderson about some of the men, women and children she’s met as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. She has a deep passion for the work that takes her far from Hollywood and her own family. Just today, the U.N. announced that Jolie and her partner Brad Pitt, have donated $1 million to help Pakistani refugees. Tonight, hear why Jolie is especially concerned about the humanitarian crisis in Pakistan.

Plus, we’ll have the latest from Iran, where tens of thousands of protesters marched in the streets for a sixth day. Iran’s government is still doing its best to silence reporters and control the airwaves. We’ll bring you all the images and information we can, including i-reports and amateur video from Facebook and YouTube.

Also tonight, we continue our weeklong series “America’s High: The Case for and Against Pot.” You may not realize it, but marijuana turns out to be a growth industry in this recession. The collapse of the housing market has turned cheap property into pot houses—and they may be operating on your street.

And we’re learning more about the death of a Continental pilot during a cross-Atlantic flight today. The 60-year-old captain with more than three decades of flying experience apparently died from natural causes. The jet landed safely with the first officer at the controls. Only then, did passengers learned what had happened. Randi Kaye has been working the story and will have details at 10 p.m. eastern.

See you then..

Filed under: Cate Vojdik • The Buzz
  1. De Shawn Monroe

What She is doing is very thoughtful and passionate. She is sweet and has captured my heart. People will find something wrong with doing good. I hope that negative side of life will never stop her from helping.

June 19, 2009 at 1:40 am |
  2. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I admire Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. They are a couple that work together for good.

I would like to have that kind of relationship as well with a "prince" of a guy.

I am a single mom and don't have the ability to go do the things that Jolie does but I want to support those who do and can....or at least bring light to these issues so others can do the leg work and help.

I am trying to start a charity myself to help single moms with housing so they can attend school and be there for their children instead of trying to hold down a full time job and go to school and raise their children.

I love the stories she has to tell and how the people she encounters inspire her.

Anderson asked her if she ever felt that it was the same story and same situation and if she got numb to it....I agree with her, you don't. Much like when I see something wrong here, it still gets you no matter how many times you see it.

June 19, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  3. Ailynne

-it is very generous of Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt to help refugee
    -what concerns me more is the pot farm. If this happens to be in my area how can we protect ourselves especially we are in family setting environment... This will greatly impact the neighborhoods safety

June 19, 2009 at 1:28 am |
  4. Derrick L.Coles Sr.

Tonight, I watched Anderson Cooper's interview regarding refugees with Angelina Jolie. Everytime I hear about what she is doing I get angry because the sad truth is, the UNHCR in conjunction with other NGO,are doing nothing but talking, paying lip service, trying to convince the public that they are justified in continuing there own existance. The only two people who have skin in the game are Angelina, and Mia Farrow.

I am the owner of a company that specializs in Tactical,Mobile,Field Food Service. I can prepare hot sanitary meals while on the move from one location to another.
    When I offered to go in and feed, the starving people in Darfur, my answer was, no answer. It was the same for all Africa and now Pakistan.

Anderson, handing out food off the back of a truck only feeds the people lucky enough to be living close to where the truck is parked. It doesn't feed the people, stuck , living in remote areas where the truck drivers are afraid to go, and those are the very people who need the food most of all.

Anderson, I'm writting you because you have access to Angelina and Mia, as well as others like them who are sincere in their efforts to correct this maddness, to end the hunger.

What I propose to do is use 21ST century methods of providing food in the field environment in place of the 19TH century methods currently being used by the Un along with the other self-serving NGO's.

Anderson, either we, can slove this problem or we can just keep talking about it. I have the solution, I just need your help and the help of Angelina, Brad and Mia to get the mission accomplished.

Anderson, I would really appreciate a reply from you.

Sincerely,

Derrick L.Coles Sr.
    Dragon Rose
    614-476-3272
    dragonroseinc@yahoo.com

June 19, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  5. pat mcneill

thank you anderson for your total commitment , my family jokes about my 10pm tv update with you, but they also ask me what you had to say. i donated to unhcr tonight to honor you/angelina because i want to do my part. also i keep lisa ling/lee family in my prayers. you are my cnn hero! all of us need to know we do make a difference.

June 19, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  6. michele van peer

I am all for helping the world. however we will be like the rest of world if things dont change herei I have no job for years and no help. and After a pancreas transplant was told to go live on the streets i, and get a divorce and live on the streets with all the other blind diabetics that we have , from the social security office ,hahaha, I am highly educated, payed my student loans off. and worked. when juveniele diabetes took my sight , heart surgeries and painful neuropathy and much more i got no ssi or help .Im mad as H...l and the world is a mess.! the insurance companies are total crooks,
    'blue cross too, and have left me without transplant meds before and i had no recourse but , when i hear and see about the insane situation and starvations in the world i wonder where is God.yet i still pray. We the human race have made a mess of it. there is hope, We spend millions on war, we need to spend it on helping the sick here and also other countries also need to help out in the world. what has China spent on Darfur, or refugee situation.? and the Oil nations do they help stop starvation and help the refugees?? Let me speak up for those here tho who not only need organ transplants bu t cant get medications after ward. One has to have absolutly no income from a spouse to get anything. or have ten children and get divorced . its absolutly insane. my higher education has not helped me get work and has not helped me get help. i pray for those in need everywhere.

June 19, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  7. Ralph

Mr. Anderson – I believe you are the most lucid reporter on any network today. Yet you cannot escape the draw to narcissism regardless if it is for a good cause. Why is Ms. Jolie more credible than Mr Webster concerning the plight of refugees. Is it her contribution. Her fame. Her title. Her ability to jet in for a photo shoot. Her ability to increase your ratings. Please, you were smitten and she was acting. Half your questions were credible and half were written by People Magazine. You have done better.

June 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  8. Leonie Dabancourt

Anderson,thank you so much for your excellent interview with Angelina Jolie,very inspiring,,you are the reason I keep watching CNN.
    Aloha, Leonie dabancourt

June 18, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  9. Gayla

i just watched the interview with Jolie and I have tried with all my might not to like her (and that is not the kind of person I am, I am a Christian) but...I guess I got caught up in the "world" and for that I am so sorry. I guess I got caught up in the "world" that I bought all the negitivity I had heard about her however, she is a person, a person doing good. I do not know her heart or her motive. After watching TV tonight, I "feel" as though, she is doing the right thing. The right thing for those who are unable to do for themselves.

We may still think differently on things and that is OK but what she is doing for those whom cannot do for themselves, says a lot about the kind of person she is at heart.

Forgive me for my mis-judgement of you, I am sorry.

June 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  10. Small Town Person

Why don't Angelia & Brad spend their money here in the USA on tent people-street people-people in need of medical care, why do they send monies to these other countries,help our people first then them
    Signed
    Discussed American Citizen

June 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  11. Cameron

Donating to funds that go towards feeding people in Africa sounds fine and dandy, but at the end of the day this is only throwing water on a fire that is growing faster than we can extinguish it. Outside aid is killing Africa. We shouldn't be donating to give people in Africa food, we should be donating to funds that plant trees to make ground fertile or funds that help Africans make food for themselves. You simply cannot feed an already massive population that is only getting bigger through outside donations. Africa will always be a continent wrought with starvation unless we work to give African's self sustainable resources. At some point the umbilical cord of the rest of the world to Africa has to be cut. With growing populations we ourselves will eventually need to use all of our own water and food for our own people, not Africa's. The clock is ticking, Africa can't live off handouts forever, it needs it's own way of growing food for itself.

June 18, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  12. Starla Hester

Angelina has such a big heart. She has become a national role model for women and children. God bless her for her work.

June 18, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  13. Rick

We all need to take a lesson from those, like Angelina and Brad, who offer up themselves and their resources to show compassion on others less fortunate; while the Pakistani/Afgani refugee situation needs to be dealt with, the same can be said of America's own "refugees": homeless and orphaned children.

June 18, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  14. Bianca van Berkel

Dear Anderson/Angelina/Brad,
    I've just seen the interview with Angelina and I'm amazed when I see and hear stories like this.
    First of all I think it is amazing what Angelina and Brad are doing as celebrities. Helping people in need and addressing a lot of horror to the world (that is USA) that is mostly not known to most Americans.
    As a European living in the USA for 3,5 years now, I am amazed that no celebrities or very wealthy people stand up for the things that are happening in their own country; the USA. Why is that? There are children living on the street here, people without homes, etc, etc.
    What about your own people?
    I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AN ANSWER TO THAT!!!
    Bianca van Berkel

June 18, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  15. Patrick NYC

Angelina, like Madonna, are spoiled stars who looking for attention. Children who are suffering are all over the world, why not look in her own back yard. She is a sham and you are giving her free press for her agenda, herself.

June 18, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  16. Sancerae

Maya Angelou "I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver."

June 18, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  17. Stephanie U

A.J. what an amazing women.

June 18, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  18. txleadhead

Several years back she was tounge kissing her brother on the awards. Then she stole someone else's husband. Now she's Mother Theresa. Only in America.

June 18, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  19. vanessa

Will you guys be posting a video of her interview? I missed the second part 🙁

June 18, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  20. dede

We always hear about what Angelina and Brad are doing in other countries for less fortunate people. How are they helping those less fortunate in the United States? There are plenty of people in the US that are far less fortunate than Jolie/Pitt.

June 18, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  21. Derek R

Perhaps in between covering the B.S. in Iran and interviewing celebrities, you could maybe help end marijuana prohibition on your weeklong (5 minute) special!?

June 18, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  22. Sandra

Subarban Pot Factories– Just legalize it already!! Main point : to put the Cartels out of business and give our economy something to make money on. It has been proven scientifically safe.
    Thanks for your time AC

June 18, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  23. Liz

Angelina is not just beautiful from the outside but inside as well, she has such great heart towards the less fortunate. I just wish they're were more stars as generous as her and Brad. God Bless them both and i wish them the best happyness ever.! ( good health; piece; love and harmony for all the family Jolie-Pitt)

June 18, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  24. merry

Great interview with Anderson Cooper.

June 18, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  25. Frances Escabi

I have never written before, but felt compelled to write about your segment with Angelina Jolie. She represents that which is best in humanity–a kind heart, a simple eloquence, and a desire to make life better for others. While so many celebrities and reality stars life's can appear vain and shallow, Angelina is educating the public to consider people who are so very far from our own personal arenas. It reminds me of R. Bach's "One" -We really are all interconnected and thus even our own small actions and donations can make a tremendous difference. Thanks to Ms. Jolie and your show for the inspiration.

June 18, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  26. gretchen

Anderson,I think what's going on in pakistan is tragic.
    Is it possible foe all the nations that are fighting against terroism,to take these refugees into our lands? At least until they get control over
    the extremist so that the people can be safe.I know it sounds far fetched, but can that be made possible. We all owe the innocent
    shelter.

June 18, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  27. Joe

AC, your interview with Angelina Jolie was great. MUCH more informativeg than Larry King and the Jonas Bros!

June 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  28. gretchen

Hi Anderson, this that is happening in pakistan is trully tragic.
    Is it possible for all the nations that are fighting against terrorism,
    to accept these refugees into their land until they get some control
    over the extemist,I no it may sound far fetched ,but all things are possible,with much effort.

June 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Doris A. Protheroe

I just watched your incredible interview with Angelina Jolie and UN World Refugee Day. I am so very glad that you have brought Angelina Jolie to your program to bring Life and Realty to the more than deplorable Pakistan Refugee Crisis. Both you and Angelina should be appuded for your work. In addition to Angelina's sincere and loving UN Refugee work around the world, I commend Jolie/Pitt for their one Million Dollar Donation to this Horrendous Crisis.

June 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. ann patricia coleman

i have watched the show with angelina jolie about abused terrorized and neglected children.i wonder as a country when do we say no more to judicial and political corruption in the us and start to put our children first. to protect them from child abuse, neglect ,malnutrition and legal and medical malpractice,my children as i have watched this corruption go on and on in ny and ct.

June 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Lylanya (Canada)

So sad to hear Angelina Jolie talk about the trauma people in other countries have had to go through. She is right we are all so lucky to have the lives we do, and we should do whatever we can to help.

June 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Kryolah

I real want the people from Iran to be free from this tiran , but is that to much to asck ? I hope not , cause they need to be free . I also think that the international communety should be carefull , but they should help . We dont want ot make them think that they are being told what to do .
    Thanks Angie , for evrything you have done for refuges !!!

June 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. sue

$300,000,000.00 is a good amount to help the refugees. Why dont you guys do a story on where all these funds go to?

There is hardly anything that ends up in the real refugees pockets! Americans are giving people but we do want to know the results!

June 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Independent

Cant make them better than this. This lady is real a Gem. Such talent and success and yet such humility and genuine humanity. We are all blessed by the gift of the likes of Ms Jolie.

June 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Zimmer

We all should be grateful for what we have. We need to stop the since less killing of people all over the world. killing just brings more killing

June 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. karen poirier

i enjoyed your talk with angelina very much.....i am from campbellton, new brunswick , canada and i have admired angelina for many ,many years for all that she does for other human beings..
    she has a true heart and all that she does comes from deep within and my heart goes out to her for her love and kindness she gives to others ...
    we need more people in this world like her ..may god give her the strength to keep on with her missions....
    i also adore her as an actress and i have almost everyone of her movies and only wish i could meet her someday....but where i live that would be impossible..
    angelina , you go girlie!!!
    karen poirier
    new brunswick, canada

June 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. dennis bundi

What a beautiful soul! Angelina and Brad are everything human in all its essence. My mother once took me to a refugee camp when i was five and even at that age, i understood how lucky i was. I see a lot of people who are selfless and consistently so and I feel absolutely lucky to even know that we can all be much better by being THE solution.

June 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. maureen

I think angelina jolie should concentrate on our people here in the united states. I am sick of all these celebrities going out of the country , adopting out of the country, is there something wrong with our people here, our children that need homes here, I am very upset and confused. Why don't we just stay in our country, there is so much homelessness, unemployment, children needing homes, here, until our country is perfect and good shape should anyone go else where..
    I believe people like angelina jolie only do this to get attention. They have no idea, they live in another world full of nannies, tons of bling, etc, everything at their fingertips for them and their kids. I am in debt because of a cancer that has caused me great financial hardship, i have a son whom needs me , I can not find any financial help for myself, will have to go into bankruptcy. I need help here, i am here in the states and have been reaching out for help, there is none so far. Can you help me????

June 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Karen

Angelina Jolie is such a beautiful & amazing woman! Her passion for her U.N. role only enhances her beauty!

June 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. George

Anderson,

WHy hasnt angelina, as good willl Ambassador paid a visit to the Palestinian refugee camps, of which 7million refugees reside? why do some races, and cultures more important than others?

June 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. marcia

Anderson, what were your thoughts while flying through the storm from New York this morning?

June 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. debra

Love her and all she does.. It scares me that the innocent ones are the ones to suffer first before we really understand that this could so be one of us too..

I wish the interview had been longer.. glad Anderson is fine after the scary flight.

June 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Christina

I highly recommend the book 'Three Cups of Tea' by David Moreston. It's a book that deals with a lot that has been going on in that region for years and how one man can and did make a difference!

June 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Brinna Nanda

Couldn't care less about publicity hound Jolie – but I am extremely glad that CNN is looking seriously at the case for legalizing cannabis. Ever since the US Dept. of Health and Human Services filed for, and was awarded its own patent (#6,630,507) based on the medicinal properties of cannabis, it has become obvious that hypocrisy rules the day in our legislative bodies.

Cannabis is a powerful, yet gentle medicine. It is an extremely useful plant producing fiber, oil, essential fatty acids, protein, material for bio-fuels and building materials. Our prohibition of cannabis is one of the more bone headed policies (unfortunately one among many.)

June 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Henya From CA,

We need allot more people like Angelina Jolie she is doing a great job,

June 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  46. Fauzia Mohamed

Kudos to Brad and Angelina for their generosity and humanitarian work. We all should learn from such trailblazers.

June 18, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  47. msmith1122

Brad has it all hey. It looks like he even has a few third world problems barking up his tree too.

June 18, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  48. Michelle

I am looking forward to tonight's show. Sounds good.

June 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  49. Isabel, Brazil

Evening, Cate!

Today is really better to be on shore... After another problem with flight, pilot dying in mid-air and copilot takes aircraft to the rest of the trip. Whew!!

The right of refugees has a direct relationship with human rights and the Freedom desired, which is the basis of true democracy.

Traditionally, the censorship is identified as a violent action and bad, practiced by authoritarian rulers, and therefore little wont to democratic practices and its pillars, such as freedom of expression.

A prerequisite for the functioning of democracy is the free circulation of ideas, opinions, facts and the political pluralism, the ideological pluralism and the artistic pluralism. And the censorship is an autocratic and unilateral imposition of ideas and opinions. And the establishment of monopoly political, ideological and artistic in society.

I look forward the show ... many interesting topics! Thanks!

June 18, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  50. Annie Kate

Sounds like a good show tonight. I'm looking forward to it. The story on the airline pilot is scary – I'm glad the passengers were not aware of it until after they landed safely. Just think of the panic it would have inspired. The stories on marijuana and Iran have been really captivately this week; will be interesting to see what new angles today's segments bring. Iran certainly seems like it could collapse as Anderson suggested last night.

June 18, 2009 at 9:06 pm |