June 18th, 2009

Anderson tweets his travel nightmare

Anderson Cooper
AC360° Anchor

@andersoncooper: Ever feel like your day is cursed? Was heading to dc today to intv Hillary Clinton and Angelina Jolie. Sounds simple right?

@andersoncooper: Last night learned Clinton was injured in a fall and was canceling. Just now my plane was diverted back to NY.

@andersoncooper: Trying to set up interview with Jolie via satellite. Stay tuned.

@andersoncooper: Oh yeah, almost forgot, mid air, a lighting flash lit up the plane. "Dear God, what was that!" The flight attendant exclaimed...

@andersoncooper: That was the same flight attendant who was seen clutching a barf bag. It was not a fun flight.

@andersoncooper: Intv is on with Jolie. That is if a bolt of lighting doesn't strike the car I'm in. Entirely possible given my luck so far today.

To see Anderson's interview with Angelina Jolie, tune in tonight to AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

And follow Anderson on Twitter @andersoncooper.

Filed under: 360° Q & A • 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Behind The Scenes
  1. Lauren--NY

I'm just thrilled you're okay after reading Kay's blog and realizing that lightning actually *hit* your plane. I hope your afternoon is going better than your morning went, Anderson. Stay safe. ❤

June 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  2. Maryland_gal

I live in Maryland and I heard three horrific thunder claps this morning around 9 AM. It was scary on the ground, must have been awful to be in a flight at the time of the thunderstorm. Take care, Anderson!!!

June 18, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  3. Mary in Atlanta

Anderson, it ALL gets better from here....

Be safe.....I need my daily dose of AC360.....

God bless......

June 18, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  4. Ivonne

God bless you.

June 18, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  5. thurber

Lesson for the day – when traveling between DC and NY, take the train!

June 18, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  6. Lois

Just glad you are OK. Still looking forward to 360 tonight. Sorry Mrs. Clinton can't be there, but will be happy to see you.

June 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  7. mike

bad luck, maybe not. bad weather, bad air corridor, yes.

I say good luck thatyou survived it all. Count your blessings and thank the air travel professionals that have to put up with this all day every day.

June 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  8. Alexa Gatscher

Smile at the thought of asking Angie if she twitters. Say a quick breath prayer,"Give me your strenght". We do care deeply
    keep us posted.

June 18, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  9. Shenu Hakim

Dear Mr. AC

I read an article on CNN a few days ago ---'Is this your lucky day".
    Please look it up.

June 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Stephen

Glad you might it out ok.

Maybe this was a sign that you should focus on issues more pressing than Angeline Jolie?

June 18, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  11. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

the gods are telling you something Cooper, your spending too much time in L.A.

June 18, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  12. Lilibeth

Well, Anderson, I don't Twitter, but sounds like you had a hell of a flight. Glad you're back safely on ground. Hope the rest of your day goes better. I look forward to your interview with Jolie...I love her humanitarian work. She's an inspiration to us all...I hope her message resonates with all who listen.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

June 18, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  13. RealtorChicago

you could have been on the flight of the pilot who died, there is always worse1 🙂

June 18, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  14. Sandra Robertson, GA

And I'll bet you stayed steadfastly patient and calm through it all; just like when you went swimming with sharks. Take care and God Bless you. I hope my trip to Va. tomorrow goes better than your trip to DC today.

June 18, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  15. Geline

Hope everything turns out fine with your interview. 🙂 Take care

June 18, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  16. Carol B. in MD

Good Morning. Maybe things will be looking up now. It sounds like Murphy's Law is at work. Now that your bad chain of events (which could have been worse) are out of the way, anything good that happens now will seem great. Ok, if not great then at least tolerable.

June 18, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  17. jacqueline tucci

I can say, with100% certainty, that if a lightning bolt struck my airplane, I would never fly again. That would be terrifying.

June 18, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  18. Anna, HK

Hi Anderson,

Maybe it was your lucky today instead? You arrived safely back in NYC, & now will concentrate on doing one excellent interview with Angelina Jolie.

Tomorrow will be another day with better questions for an interview with Hillary Clinton.

Stay focused.

June 18, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  19. Mary

Everything happens for a reason, are these warning signals
    trying to tell you something? Only you know the correct answer.
    Be grateful for your life and all that you possess. Everything
    could vanish in a mere NY minute

June 18, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  20. Jane

Look at the bright side (no pun intended) you're safe, and sound right now. Your bingo number didn't come up, so the world gets another day with Anderson.

June 18, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  21. Diane N.

I thank god you're alright Anderson. Hang in there. Our prayers are with you. Strange things are happeing all over the place and it's not even a full moon, maybe the planets are out of alignment or something. My laptop went on the fritz last night and I'm using my old pc with dial up. Yikes! Take a deep breath, we're all with you.

June 18, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  22. anonymous

Well sounds like an exciting day and a good chapter to a future book!
    But hey, if you turn it around your just proving how LUCKY YOU ARE!!!!!
    Enjoy life's ride....it's definately an interesting one for you.....and keep up the awesome work...hey, at least you keep your readers and viewers on there toes...waiting for you next adventure.

June 18, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  23. Adam Greene

I know the feeling – I was sitting next to you on the plane.

June 18, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  24. robyn caffrey keyser wv 26726

anderson never think of lightning could hit you . , when ' you are ever going through a bad stom, just turn you head up ( and say to yourself ) im gonna have a really nice ride. "' say to youself : i have luck on my side.

i was brought up thinking that when u talk about bad things it seames to back fire on u.

( like ) i remember when i was a teen, and my mother and father bought me knew shoes, and jeans, and a really nice blouce, i took a shower' and put them on, then i took awalk to the corner store, and when i was almost at the store, ( i said to my self ' watch bird droppings land on my knew cloths (well) at that sec: i tripped in a mud puddle. see" i put my foot in my mouth)

( like when ever i was to look for a place to rent ; and i tell people, and then i find a really nice place to rent, it backfired on me. i was told it was a bad add or it wouldnt be ready for months. ( again thats what i get for telling people out of excitment.
    ( and when i know im coming into money , and when i mention to anybody out of excitment , when it comes time of getting the money, eather u will here ' ( sorry you wernt intital to it, or it wouldnt be the amount your exspecting. or it could take more months . ( so now i just keep to my self

June 18, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  25. Tracy Solomon

First, glad you and everyone else on board are okay.

Got your tweets... have to love twitter, takes 24 hour news to a whole new level.

Looking forward to the segment.

Be careful for the rest of the day. I don't believe in bad luck but... just have some tea and lay low:)

@tracysolomon

June 18, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  26. susan

chalk it up to global warming – the odd weather patterns. Or is the magnetic pole trying to shift again.

See comments under your producers blog note.
    Your plane was designed to handle a lightening strike. Not so the car. (Note, unlike when you touch a live wife, the lightening will bath the body. the electrical current from a live wire goes THROUGH the body and thus causes much more damage. If you do get hit by lightening, make certain you have an AED nearby or at least someone who knows CPR.)

By the way – How many of you know CPR? How many of you are willing to be a lifesaver? It's easy!

June 18, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  27. Judy Stage/Brooklyn MI

Hey Anderson, I have a prayer that I say for you and many others each day, "May God and your beloved angels keep you safe". Now you know why I do that.
    Judy
    Brooklyn, MI

June 18, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  28. Christina in DC

I live here, it's not that hard to get here - wouldn't the sensible thing to do would be to take Amtrak in the first place???? I never fly between NY and DC, it takes too much time getting to/from the airport, checkin, security check and possible delays. And in NY, you need time to get to/from the airport.

June 18, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  29. Jasmine kent

No anderson cooper no! Dont die on me! I love yu! I always watch cnn which is rare cuz im 18!! But its cuz ur da best lol so don have another bad day i wont allow it i dont lik being worried about my news man yu r too valuable to me=)

June 18, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  30. Donna Polles

my advice... curl up on the couch in your office and sleep the day away!
    (assuming you have a couch in your office!)
    I'm tempted to go back to bed myself... totally sick of the weather here in the NY/NJ area!

June 18, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  31. Minnie in PDX

I had a flight nightmare a few weeks ago, actually it was everything leading up to the flight.

A barfing flight attendant is never a good sign.

I hope the rest of the day goes better.

June 18, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  32. chi

The airline should fire the flight attendant. Flight attendants should be the "calm" during a storm. Take care. Looking forward to watching you tonight....well tomorrow morning here in Manila.

June 18, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  33. Rebecca, Louisville, KY

Don't want to cause any undue concern but if our weather heads your way, well, you could probably count on that second lightning strike. Let's just say, 11 am in Louisville looks a little more like 6:30 am.

June 18, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  34. Lori

Hi Anderson. Stay positive...have a good day. :o)

June 18, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  35. Kevin Hartman

Anderson, I recently went through chemo therapy to battle my cancer, I was given presciptions for many different drugs for nausea and pain, most of which did not work. I got a prescription for marinal, but the price was $160 per pill or $1600 to fill my prescription. $160 worth or marijuana would last at least 10 days. Marinal is a pill which you have to swallow and then it disolves in your stomach, that is if you can keep it down long enough, however I threw it up each time. With marijuana you smoke it and it starts to work instantly, and because your smoking it, you you would not be able to throw it back up. And best of all the marijuana worked better than anything else, for nausea, pain, headaches, stress the list goes on.

June 18, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  36. Maren in Oregon

Two observations:

(1) Totally relieved you (and Kay and Shimrit) are OK, plane didn't crash, stewardess didn't barf on ..well, that she managed to grab the ad in time; and

(2) Thank God who, working in his mysterious manner as usual, managed to break your embargo re personal tweeting – to wild applause and great effect throughout the Twitterverse. Hopefully, in fuure, He won't have to take such drastic measures

Take the hint; we don't bite.

June 18, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  37. Jennifer - Michigan

Boy o boy, what a day. Hope it gets better from here. Not too unlike my day on Monday (on a smaller scale obviously). Here's to a better for you! Take care – talk to you later.

June 18, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  38. Burgos, Stephanie

I hope you have a better day tomorrow Anderson

June 18, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  39. Stacy

So this is what it takes to get you to tweet more than once every few days, huh? Heh. I say go all in: walk under a ladder, let a black cat cross your path,...break a mirror.

In all seriousness, I'm glad things worked out (relatively) okay and I wish you future lightening strike-free days. Also, get well soon to Secretary Clinton.

June 18, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  40. Linda

Got my fingers crossed for a better day of good luck for you!

June 18, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  41. barb

yes, this day is sorta cursed...lets all start all over again, shall we? glad that everyone is safe...take care...

June 18, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  42. Beverly

BTW Lu, Twitter.... if u don't get the fascination, don't bother – it's not your thing. But FYI I learned of the "story" above via twitter. Twitter is abound with information, friendships, interesting facts, great fiction (some real stories coming around lol) and so much more. It's this centuries version of socialization while we're all too busy to stop and really do so! AND a great way to talk to & meet people you would otherwise never have met in your life!

June 18, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  43. Pamina

Hi Anderson,
    I was on a plane once when it was struck by lightning. It is a "life flashing" moment! Good luck with the rest of your day!

June 18, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  44. Beverly

LOL Well you can't say you don't live life "on the edge" often! The flight attendant barfing is too much! Think she may have chosen the wrong career?!

Glad to see and hear it all ended well with an interview and you still in tact!

June 18, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  45. Dean Schindler

Whatever you do, do not drive across the path of a black cat. I am not a supersticious person, but geez...something is going on in your universe. Hang in there and hope to catch your interview.

June 18, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  46. D. Mcauley

Anderson, sounds like you need some R&R. Head down to New Orleans you enjoy it there. Check out if Angeal & Brad are planning a
    New Orleans wedding. Wouldn't that be something for you to cover.

Deb from the Big Easy

June 18, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  47. Lu in PHX

And I still don't get the fascination of Twitter

June 18, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  48. Cindy

Wow Cooper you better be extra careful today! It seems you have a bad case of the bad lucks chasing ya! Stay off that bike and watch where you walk too. Can't have you with some broken bones or what not and missing your own show!

I would have been like the flight attendant and freaked out if I was on the plane and it was struck by lightening! Thankfully nothing bad went wrong and you all made it back safe!

Once again..BE CAREFUL!!

Cindy..Ga.

June 18, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  49. Cherisa

Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. I've been looking forward to this segment all week.

June 18, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Anderson

I can't beleive your bad luck today .Lightining hitting the pane like i can't understand how this can happne .Planes fly all the time so they should have prtotectd armour or device on the plane to stop this from pentrating the structure of it .

Have a good day Anderson a better day .

Michelle D.