June 18th, 2009

Anderson tweets his travel nightmare

Anderson Cooper
AC360° Anchor

@andersoncooper: Ever feel like your day is cursed? Was heading to dc today to intv Hillary Clinton and Angelina Jolie. Sounds simple right?

@andersoncooper: Last night learned Clinton was injured in a fall and was canceling. Just now my plane was diverted back to NY.

@andersoncooper: Trying to set up interview with Jolie via satellite. Stay tuned.

@andersoncooper: Oh yeah, almost forgot, mid air, a lighting flash lit up the plane. "Dear God, what was that!" The flight attendant exclaimed...

@andersoncooper: That was the same flight attendant who was seen clutching a barf bag. It was not a fun flight.

@andersoncooper: Intv is on with Jolie. That is if a bolt of lighting doesn't strike the car I'm in. Entirely possible given my luck so far today.

To see Anderson's interview with Angelina Jolie, tune in tonight to AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

And follow Anderson on Twitter @andersoncooper.

Filed under: 360° Q & A • 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Behind The Scenes
  1. Mike From Canada

In the 70s I was on a Nordair flight from Hamilton, Ontario to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The plane taxied out to the end of the runway. The pilot step out of the cockpit and into the washroom. A minute later he stepped out and back into the cockpit. Seconds later we were hurtling down the runway.

I am certainly glad he got that out of the way!

June 19, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Well it sounds as if you've had a bit of a rough day! Hopefully tomorrow will be better! 🙂

June 18, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  3. John

But, did they run out of Veuve Clicquot? The public is clutching their collective pearls in anticipation.

Cue James Earl Jones: "THIS is CNN."

Honestly.

June 18, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  4. Renee

@ Suzanne: On most commercial flights, you can purchase the internet for an extra fee of approximately $3 per hour. It is very common to use a computer, BB or I-Phone mid air.

June 18, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  5. Renee

When stuff like this happens to me I always chalk it up to another "personal growth experience!" Life is good! You and the others are safe.

June 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  6. Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada

Today is not even Friday the 13th. Remind me Anderson to stay far away from you when Friday the 13th really comes aroud...lol.. Until then Stay Well and Play Safe.

June 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  7. Suzanne

I am glad you are ok, but how were you tweeting from an airplane?

June 18, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  8. YoungTurk

Oh the drama, Anderson!

Make s me want to reach for my barfbag.

Grow a set.

June 18, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  9. Ida

ahh Anderson. It'll get better.....or not!

look forward to ur interview

June 18, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  10. Stephanie M

Love your stuff; can do without Jolie interview, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

June 18, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  11. M.W. Johnson

~Anderson-

Your the best...keep up with the Twitter...I follow you. How about double the frequent flyer miles for the nightmare flight!

Mark

June 18, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  12. Shaunta

Coop glad to know you are ok. Looking forward to the interview tonight keep your head up they tell me it gets better

June 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  13. Lisa

A flight attendant with a barf bag? For themselves? Geez. Could be worse though. They might have run of of them. Anyway, I'd bet a day for Angela with her brood could rival that. I hear they actually do barf and pee on you, so in retrospect your probably still ahead of the game.

June 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Mike in KC

I say we call it a day, and move on to Friday!

Good luck, Anderson! Looking forward to the interview with Angelina.

June 18, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  15. Kelly Sartin

Anderson. Woo what a day. Love the tweets keep them coming. I agree if we didn't have twitter think of what I would miss. Maybe your bad day made someone elses day seem not so bad.

June 18, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  16. john beccia

I like your show no matter who you are interviewing. Hope you have better luck on your next flight. At least you don't have to worry about your hair turning grey from fright. : )

June 18, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  17. GodisHerself

Wow, it definitely sounds like u were not meant to talk to Secretary of State Clinton today, I guess all eyes will be on Angelina on this one... (Can I just tell you that I find the events leading up to this- for you- to be particularly symbolic, if not unbelievable...) Well, have a WEIRD day! (too late right 😉 It's gonna be a weird day. It just keeps getting weirder...Signal of CHANGE? Perhaps...

June 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  18. An

Hi Anderson.

Where are you now, and are you at the places that you are assigned to be yet? Wish you all the luck and I am happy if you are ok because travelling ways are so dangerous and so much compplicated!

June 18, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  19. Melissa

Many men would volunteer gettnig hit by lightning if it meant they could meet Angelina Jolie 😉 Sounds like quite a day.

June 18, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  20. GH

I bet that's one flight attendant who won't be flying much longer. And as cursed as you may have felt, Mr. Cooper, try to consider yourself blessed by the safe return and landing of your flight. The people aboard that Air France jet, whom my prayers go out to, weren't so lucky.

June 18, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  21. Linda

Are flight attendants supposed to yell "Dear God, what was that?" I thought that was strictly our job, lol.

June 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  22. Marian

Actually your flight was not cursed at all – you arrived back in New York safely. Things can always be worse than having a flight diverted. Think about it.

June 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  23. Rachel

Anderson, lightning never strikes twice in the same spot, glad your OK, love your work! God Bless.....
    Rachel / Texas

June 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  24. Isabel, Brazil

In time:
    In the end everything will be right!
    If still isn’t right, it is because it is still not the end.

June 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  25. Todd Wright

Adam Greene–your comment is the best and the only one which I am sure Mr. Cooper will respond to given the situation. I just don't understand the Twitter thing...don't people have jobs that require their attention throughout the day?!

June 18, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  26. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    You are a worldtraveler,and this flight problem happened even on a flight from N.Y.to D.C.
    I hope you are o.K.now.Dont worry and take care!

June 18, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  27. Angela Ness Vancouver Canada

Anderson , the thing I missed most about the interview , was that smile you were wearing the last time you interviewed Angelina Jolie , No direspect . Even my husband said he had never seen you smile so much through an interview , if I got that smile I would answer anything you wanted me to !!! ( Just a little teasing !!)

June 18, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson!

Maybe are you having a hell astral late?
    No! Of course not! I don't believe in these things!

We must think positive. Something good will reward you today. 🙂

Ok, today your day is somewhat troubled, but go ahead because at 10p we will be waiting for you, OK?

Take care! And today don't ride a bike, huh ... lol ...

June 18, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  29. keith

It sounds like we will be hearing more about unsafe travel.

June 18, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  30. jenny

Wonder if that flight attendent was working for free on this flight?

June 18, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  31. Fay - California

If there were any jittery first time fliers on that plane, the flight attendant's panicked reaction to the lightening has probably put them off flying for good....

Anderson, I'm sorry to hear that Hillary Clinton is injured and won't be a part of tonight's interview, but I'm happy you made it safely back to NYC after having such an "lively" trip.

June 18, 2009 at 12:49 pm |