June 17th, 2009

Tonight: Text 360°

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/08/art.text360.jpg]

AC360°

Some say there are therapeutic benefits to smoking marijuana for medical purposes, others argue that it is ineffective, unsafe and detrimental to overall health. What is the current medical opinion of smoking pot? Will smoking marijuana help you or hurt you?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be on our show tonight to discuss the health effects, or detriments, of marijuana.

Do you have questions for him about the merits of using marijuana for medical purposes? Let us know!

Send us a text message with your question to 94553, and you might hear it on air!

The message MUST start with the letters AC, and then a space, then your name and question. If you do not include AC first with a space, we will not receive your text.

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. Juan Manuel Saavedra

Can the State or Fans buy back Michaels Ranch to keep open to the public and make donations to his charities from profits and to allow him to rest in peace at his beloved ranch. Can we protest and petition for him to be laid to rest at his ranch will that change anything with the government agencies not allowing it.

July 1, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  2. Ryan Raven

To Mary: Do a bit more research before spreading more untruths. Harms like memory loss has been found to be only during intoxication and all brain activity resumes normal function shortly after intoxication, including short and long term memory function, EVEN with heavy use. They are also finding Alzheimer patients may experience a delay in the onset of symptoms with the use of compounds found in marijuana and scientist seem to think marijuana has promise in a cure or aid in the treatment for Alzheimer's.

So, I ask why prevent or deny researchers the chance to research the possibilities that come from it (heads up prohibitionists, nobody gets 'HIGH' by allowing research to be done, but people do die because of the lack of it). Do you honestly believe that this wouldn't be privately funded by pharmaceutical companies looking to patent a new Alzheimer drug?

If a plant is so dangerous why do we allow pharmaceutical companies the ability to grow or contract to grow poppy and coca plants along with the ability to study and research them, but not marijuana? These plants produce some of the most addictive and toxic substances found on earth, yet morphine and oxy could never be sold at the insane profits pharmaceutical companies earn stockholders every day, if it wasn't for these plants, these are just legal versions of heroin. Why kill or cause the extinction of a plant that HAS THE POSSIBILITY to hold properties that COULD help mankind, just as they have with these other plants?

June 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  3. MARY BOZEMAN

Because it has been proven that Marijuana, caused memory lost, after years of usage, people would forget why they started smoking Marijuana or their prescription anyway. Then somewhere in a bio-lab two scientist that have run out of grant money will do an analysts on Alzheimer's and memory lost on Marijuana, the research will cost the american people 3 million dollars. the research will take 5 years. So let's just save the american public money, and "say NO to Drugs."

June 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  4. Chris

Amy Lynn, I have an answer for you, pot helps you "feel better" from pain, pot helps you get to sleep very easily, it makes nauseated people feel way less nauseated and gives them an appetite to eat. It sounds like you would be the best candidate for marijuana. Marijuana has 3 main side affects that everyone feels when they smoke it. Happy, Hungry, and Sleepy. If marijuna was re-legalized you wouldn't have to buy a coctail of pills and spend a ton of money on them, I know what that feels like I live with my grandmother and we have limited health insurance and we have to spend full cost sometimes on her medications and it can add up. Marijuana re-legalization would be a great economical and medical blessing for this country. I agree with the guy named "All for it" when he said that he has no criminal record but the only thing he does is marijuana because it helps him feel better. I'm with ya man, I don't have a criminal record either, I don't belong in a gang, i don't smoke tobacco, I hardly drink, maybe once every 2 months at the most frequent.

RE-LEGALIZE IT!

June 18, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Tripp Sims

Urg... capital, not capitol. 🙁

June 18, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  6. Tripp Sims

Lets be perfectly clear: If marijuana were legalized its primary use would be recreational. That said, please identify what differentiates marijuana from other "harmful" recreational use drugs like alcohol and nicotine. In your opinion is there any good medical reason for marijuana to be illegal while maintaining the legal status of alcohol and tobacco products? Additionally, aren't there methods of administering the active THC compound from marijuana in a form that would infinitely less detrimental to a persons health than either alcohol or tobacco? And finally, isn't it time the federal government start thinking outside the box in order to raise capitol to fend off the national debt.

June 18, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  7. Amy Lynn

I sent a text message, but I wanted to display my question here as well:
    I suffer from fibromyalgia and lupus. I have to take a lot of pain medication every day as well as sleeping pills every night just to be able to sleep. The pain medication makes me nauseous, and I end up having to take multiple other medications in order to combat the side effects. This ends up costing me a small fortune in co-pays, despite the fact that I have good PPO medical coverage. How would pot reduce the amount of medication I have to take every day to combat these symptoms if medical marijuana were legal?

June 17, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  8. Casper Beery

Directly compare effects of marijuana and alcohol – biological, physiological, psychological...etc.

June 17, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  9. All For It

The legalization of marijuana would change my life. I have no terminal illness, but rather just a diificult time eating and holding down food. With pot, it is no problem to eat normally. But since I have to be secretive about smoking, this makes me feel like a criminal. In fact, I am a 31 year old college educated, tax paying citizen with NO criminal record. This plant is a blessing, and outdated propoganda has taken it away from those that need it.....

June 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  10. Kate Goodluck

AC Does marijuana effect your lungs the same way smoking tobacco does?

June 17, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  11. Casey

Putin is directly involved in Oppressing the freedom movement in Iran

June 17, 2009 at 4:49 pm |