June 17th, 2009

Morning Buzz: To Legalize Pot, or Not

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/05/28/addiction.costs/art.marijuana.gi.jpg]

Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

Demonstrations are planned in Iran following Friday’s disputed election. Journalists have been told to stay in their hotel rooms, and the situation continues to be tense and volatile. The Iranian government is jamming cell phone lines and radio transmissions, as many of the images and 'word from the street' is now coming out via the internet.

We'll follow developments and tell you more about Mir Hossein Moussavi, the opposition candidate, who is at the center is of this storm. Chief International Correspondent Christiane Amanpour and Reza Sayeh, our reporter in Tehran, join us tonight.

It’s a busy day for President Obama at the White House. He will lay out a new set of regulatory measures aimed at preventing another financial crisis. We want details! The President will also sign a memorandum extending government benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees.

This decision comes after gay rights groups were giving the President heat for not repealing the “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” military policy. What will be the fallout from this decision?

Back to Pot-a topic we hope you are learning more about this week. Tonight, Joe John introduces you to King Bong- he’s the ‘great fixer’, the guy running the clinics where most of Oregon’s marijuana prescriptions are doled out. But his real goal is fully legalized marijuana.

He grows, he smokes, and he has a weekly cable show related to the topic. We’ll hear his arguments for legalization, and also hear from those who think he is dead wrong.

Strange story of the day: A Brooklyn man named Thomas Prusik-Parkin is accused of wearing a wig, putting on nail polish, and wearing dresses to impersonate his deceased mother and collect $115,000 in Social Security and rent subsidies. Geez, some people will do anything for a buck.

That’s a full plate, make sure you tune in tonight! We’ll be waiting for you.

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Allan L.

So far this year, more people have died from PEANUT BUTTER than in all the history of marijuana.

Ladies and gentleman...I understand that most people have not tried it, so you would not understand. Look at the facts, it is HARMLESS. Please open your eyes, the only damage being done is by prohibition itself.

June 17, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  2. Allan L.

So far this year, more people have died from P

June 17, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  3. jeffrey

I say make it legal.If people need it medically then there should not be a problem with it.god put it here just like any other plant that helps us medically.I think that it would better law enforcement to work harder on missing children,robberies,and murder cases.and the government could have more money for fixing social security,rising insurance costs,and to help people that really need it.that way they could make more taxpayer dollars,and tax marijuana and make taxes off that as well.I dont use the stuff myself but if it helps people then im for it.

June 17, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  4. Kathy

98% of the problems I see regarding marijuana are a direct result of our policy of prohibition, not from the use of the substance.
    Everyone with any interest in this issue, please educate yourself by doing these three things:
    1) Look up the complete encyclopedia of marijuana, "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer (free online), especially the chapter on the roots of marijuana prohibition (you will be outraged). For some reason it has never been mentioned on any TV documentary that I've seen. (Herer spent 17 years of his life doing all the research for you, news guys. Why aren't you using it?)
    2) Look up "Jury Nullification" to be aware of your power as a juror.
    3) Urge your congressperson to support H.R. 1866, the "Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2009". Industrial hemp, a non-psychoactive hardy annual, is a potential raw material for most of America’s paper, fiber, and bio-fuel needs, thereby reducing deforestation and oil dependency while adding billions of dollars to the US economy. Still, the Drug Enforcement Administration insists on classifying hemp as a Schedule I Controlled Substance, prohibiting our farmers from growing it and our scientists from researching it, even though we can legally import it. Passing HR 1866 will correct this mess.

June 17, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  5. jamshid

I have som pictures from protests in iran.How can I send this to you?

June 17, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  6. Mari

Yes, legalize pot. Considering that there are plenty of drugs out there, especially ...... legal..... ones, like oxycotin (sp?) that has millions of Americans addicted, why not marijuana, whose effects are similar to alcohol.

Alcohol, is a drug, anything that addicts someone, can be considered a drug, i.e., Coca Cola, Pepsi, energy drinks, cigarettes!

What's funny is that the far-right who opposes legalizing marijuana, was upset by Congress giving the FDA control of the .......drug..... nicotine!

Legalize marijuana, and stop crowding our prisons with people who have committed not crime!

June 17, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  7. Teen use?

Legalize marijuana or not? Thought question. I would say that probably 80 % of American population is using and getting it illegal way anyway. I have anti drug/tobacco/alcohol personality but I would definitely give OK to go with medical marijuana. As far as teenagers use of it I am against it. I think that they are not mature enough to deal with it. I do understand that they smoke and drink alcohol under age but if you put mix of marijuana in that I think will be devastating. I understand older more mature people wouldn’t have a problem with that and will know when to stop or when is enough and probably feel better using that then drinking but I am still afraid for younger nation. Someone said to educate parents and schools how to approach this but I’m still not so sure that will be enough, we are educating our kids to have safe sex and results are half or even more of them get pregnant in their teen years. Can you imagine with use of marijuana then??? It is just so twisted. I have friends that are using and they love it but when I take a look at my kids it’s so scary even to think about it.

June 17, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  8. JTF

First off let me say I have never smoked pot or anything else for that matter, as I am a soldier and do not want to end up in jail. Second marijuana should be legalized as I have seen people get high on pot, and yet I have never seen anyone beat or kill someone else while high, but I have seen plenty of news stories about drunken driving. Legalize pot and tax the hell out of it. It is not nor has it ever been the responsibility of the government to decide what is good for the people. If people want to smoke it, vaporize it, or eat it that is fine. The rules are simple.

1. No driving or operating machinery
    2. No smoking around children.
    3. Pay the required tax.

That's it. There are many soldiers who are returning from the Middle East with Post Truamatic Stress Disorder (PSTD). I bet you that if they were prescribed marijuana even with its side effects (Cause lets face it smoking is not good for you regardless) I am sure that the number of prescriptions for antidepressants would decrease. Why do I think this will never happen, because Big Pharm has too much money to lose. If they can find a way to charge for home grown plant then they'll support it.

June 17, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  9. Brian

People want to make it legal because they think it will help with drug crimes. Many of these people don't think about the criminals that sell pot, what are they going to do now? That's right sell a different drug to keep makong their money. There is a big drug war going on in Mexico right now and the people involved aren't going to stop because they made it legal to use they will just being a frig that's worse into this country then we will have to spend more money to get that one under control. To me it seems like people in this country want to take the easy way out, by making stuff legal instead of fighting it.

June 17, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  10. Kublick

Where is all the nay saying??Oh yeah, there isn't any...that's because people are tired of it being illegal and want it to be legal.

June 17, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  11. Geoffrey

If pot was discovered today, it would be proclaimed as the new miracle medicine. But because of the nasty stigma it has, most of the people in power thinks its all a ridiculous joke.. lets get rid of the ignorant law makers so that the poisionous attitude will go away. So many people agree that these laws are senseless, especially towards the sick people who need it.

i grow pot- right in between my hyrdrangeas and japaneese maple in the back garden. Its a pretty plant. and no... theres no need to refine it..or add chemicals, i just pick it like a tomato.

June 17, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  12. Chris

I totally agree with what Gina said, that there is not going to be more people using marijuana if it is made legal. Cigarettes are legal and I would never take up smoking cigarettes and alcohol is legal and I don't drink enough to ever become an alcoholic. I think the people that are against it need to research why the drug was made illegal in the first place to understand why it should be legalized now...

June 17, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  13. Reggie Hubbard

I've been writing a weekly column on marijuana for the Tufts Observer and for my final story of the year, I wrote about the underground economy at Tufts alone.

The fact that marijuana is illegal causes several dozen students every year to become drug dealers. That number spike to a few hundred if I include everyone who has helped a friend find a bag of pot. By the time my class graduates, I'd estimate over to 85% will have tried it and many people will still smoke. To accommodate all of these smokers, between 5-10% of the class will have sold pot. These numbers will hold true at almost every top school in the Northeast including the Ivy's (see the recent murder of a marijuana dealer at Harvard).

You want a reason to end the war on marijuana? How about that a not insignificant percentage of the top students in the country break the law on a daily basis by smoking and selling marijuana.

June 17, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  14. Rea

I am not a regular smoker of marijuana. However, when I was throwing up every two minutes from the effects of chemotherapy three years ago irregardless of all of the anti-nausea drugs the doctors had prescribed to me, a marijuana cigarette was the ONLY thing that made it stop. Had I been caught smoking marijuana, I would have been arrested. How ignorant is that??? Marijuana not only has medicinal qualities PROVEN in many studies, it has a multitude of other uses. Fiber, paper, energy... etc., etc. If America legalized marijuana, the economy would turn around and the black market for it would disappear. Release all of the non-violent marijuana related prisoners and we wouldn't have murderers being set free due to overcrowding where they almost always re-offend. So many pros to legalization....

June 17, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  15. Jim

The enforcement of marijuana laws entails many social costs. ...These include the use of controversial policing tactics, the erosion of civil liberties, court over-crowding, the diversion of treatment dollars (when recreational marijuana smokers are required to participate in mandatory drug treatment programs), racial inequity in the application of the law, [and] ... a loss of faith in the judicial system" among those charged with pot-related offenses.

Allen St. Pierre

June 17, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  16. Jake

After reading other comments I must add this.

How many of us know how to make scotch, brandy, vodka, or rum?? I dont.
    But we all know how to plant a seed and let it grow. This is the main reason alcohol is legal and pot is not. Lobbyist's for the alcohol industry have repeatedly shut down the leagalization of marijuana by campaing contributions and pay-offs to our various politicians who control these issues.

Makes you think doesnt it?

June 17, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  17. Melissa

No, its not ok Tom. Not in the least.

June 17, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  18. Travis

Did POT destroy my life? I am a single father of two. My oldest son suffered brain damage during the birthing process using a fetal extraction device that starved my son of much needed blood which caused a portion of his brain being starved of blood and oxygen. (did the dr. smoke pot?) My father died in 2002. (did my father smoke pot?) My wife left me for another man in 2003 (did my wife smoke pot?) in 2004 the divorce was final. In 2005 my employer of 11 years laid me off because the company sold to another provider (AT&T and SWB) I am pretty sure AT&T was smoking pot. In 2006 I lost my best friend my dog of 8 years to a car accident. (Was the driver smoking pot?) I have had 2 jobs since and both were the worst jobs in the industry because of the management staff. Since 06 I have lost my house and had to sell pretty much everything I own and have to utilize the support of friends and family to survive. I feel like a great burden to society. I think I will start smoking some pot. I am depressed. Therapy is expensive Weed is cheep. I have no money so I have to find my own way to survive in this materialistic society.

June 17, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  19. Big Mike

Will CNN mention any "pro" marijuana comments on the air? I think we should demand the anchors give us some mention. They mention comments from every other story but marijuana. Is it political oppression? I don’t know, you tell me? I cant put a "Legalize it" sticker on my car, or I will get pulled over.( I haven’t had a ticket in years) Is it political oppression?

June 17, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  20. Chuck Brown

I am a chronic pain patient on high dose opiate therapy.I am prescribed by a Pain Speciaist,480mg of Oxycontin daily.Such a high dose has it's own issues.I vomit several times a day.I also am temprature intolerant.It could be sunny and 85 outside but the breeze on my sweaty body puts me into hypothermia.I lost over 160lbs in 2 years of hell,vomting and not being able to eat anything except Tapioca pudding and Pepsi.So I took matters into my own hands and decided to use pot,against my wife's wishes;who is an RN.It was like a miracle.I could eat and get comfortable enough to sleep,albeit for a few hours at a time.It's better than no sleep at all.I have Fibromyalgia x Myofascil Pain Syndrome and RSD and on top of that IBS/Colitis and Diabetes.Right now marijuana is the nly thing keeping me on the planet.I was a special ed teachers aide before getting too ill to work.I have over 25 years fultime employment,so I was at one point a working member of society.I have 2 kids who approve of my use,because they have seen with thier own eyes what pot does for me,personally.I don't use in front of them but they knew there had to be some reason that Dad disappeared and came back feeling good enough to eat my meal.On top of all my illnesses I am scared to death of getting arrested and my wife losing here RN license.She has never smoked.Please if you have any compassion at all help me and thousands of other folks who are suffering needlessly.Flood our Fed and State reps with e-mails and phone calls.Go to Mpp.org or Norml.com and follow the links.The pot plant is the "Tree of Life" and should be treated as so.Peace and One Love!

June 17, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  21. sherry

I'm with Travis, Its going to up to the ppl to get this government to see the benefits of this Plant, not like they dont know but if we stand up together and stand united we as a ppl may get somewhere. Just a side note.. My 60 year old father who was a retired war vet was arrested for felony marijuana charge in KIMBLE county texas which is where i live. my father was not harming any one he was not a pot dealer but he did have a felony amount of pot 4.5 oz, he used this to help him with his many medical problems the cops stuck him in the kimble county jail with no one to help him with his 13 medications and 2 weeks after he was released with a 50,000 dollar bond.. yes you see it rite 50,000 for pot...What?? my father died 2 weeks after he was released from KIMBLE county jail before he was even indited you want to talk about CORUPTION IN KIMBLE COUNTY, i know all about it. I could not even get a copy of my fathers autopsy report from the courthouse, i was almost arrested for disorderly because i was demanding it. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE CORRUPTION IN KIMBLE COUNTY THAN YOU GUYS REPORTED ON.. THANK GOD PPL ARE STARTING TO BLOW THE WHISTLE ON THESE "GOOD OL BOYS"

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  22. Kathy

I think pot should be legalized for medical reasons. I have MS and beginning stages of arthritis. I take a hand full of pills every day, and I still hurt. Wonder what it's doing to my liver?

They should also legalize pot and tax it, this would help our deficit!

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  23. Noelle

Yes, Legalize it, and Decriminalize it. First it would slow down in the hands of children if it's not readily available, and the stuff on the street now a days is being mixed with embalming fluid. So if you legalize it and tax it the Government would make money, while regulating how it is made. Leaving less petty drug dealers on the street then you can really focus on the hard core drugs being delt, "tax-free"!

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  24. Jake

You know,
    There are 2 sides to this debate of course. I do feel there are several "addicts" abusing the legal pot (at least in Los Angeles where I live). I however am a medical marijuana patient with no previous use of the drug prior to my condition. I was diagnosed with Chrohn's disease of the terminal ileum in 1999 but suffered from the disease since 1997 as they had less information on this particular disease back then. It took over a year of testing, false diagnosis, and massive (I mean massive) amounts of medication with very severe side effects (some of which worsened my condition). I felt almost as if I was a testing animal and no one had any clue what was wrong with me.

In 2003 I had major surgery (partial bowel resection) which rendered me useless for roughly one year’s time. I was taking 6 different medications including infusions, and massive amounts of steroids (40 mils. prednisone daily- very high dose) upon my return to "normal" life.
    I am The Director of Human Resources for a company and the use of these medications did not allow me to work due to the side effects I previously mentioned. In 2005 a friend suggested I try the pot to subside my symptoms which I neglected to do prior to my own research (which there was allot of by the way). I finally read several over seas articles from medical journals which showed a definite positive effect for a variety of diseases and ailments including AIDS and Cancer.

I decided it was time to stop the medications that were causing me pain, sickness, and bleeding. I went to a doctor who actually required my medical history (this is crucial in selecting a doctor if you are genuinely sick). After reading my history he then prescribed a descriptive amount of pot just as though he had written a pill form prescription.

Moving forward...
    I know use medical pot daily (after work hours ONLY!!); I work a great job and live well with my beautiful wife and 3 children. My quality of life is 1,000% better than what it was 4 years ago and I don’t have any symptoms with my diet, cutting out hydrogenated foods, high fructose corn syrup, and enriched flours, and the use of about 1 gram of medical marijuana nightly. I eat only organic foods including any meats and have found a new light in life.

I am well educated, contribute to my community, donate to charities, my wife is on the PTA, my children are in sports and theatre. I pay my taxes, dont break any laws short of traffic violations occasionally (I do live in Los Angeles), and dont drive under the influence. Should I be disallowed my right to this medication (yes MEDICATION); or should I be thrust back into a life of feebleness and frailty??

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  25. suewimberly

dear mr. anderson. i think that marijuana should be legal in the u.s. because it is not that bad but crack caine is the wrost drug there is that stuff makes you crazy. marijuana dont its just give you a mild hi sue wimberly by.

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  26. Sylvia

Sixty years without parole is the punishment for a third marijuana offense in Mississippi. Even if the first two were for sale of less than 1/4 ounce and punished only by probation. Nonviolent marijuana offendersare punished more harshly than those convicted of rape, murder, armed robbery and other violent offenses. Legislators who privately support changing sentencing laws claim that they would never be re-elected if they appeared to be soft on crime. So they just build more prisons.

June 17, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  27. Big Mike

CNN's posture with this entire pot story line has been hostile and unflattering at best, and biased and based on unjustifiable facts and rhetoric at worst. It is very telling when a social grop tries to subdue another less powerful group. You provide evidence based on the views and opinions of those placed to enforce the law that is being put into question. How are they to be expected to provide a fair and balanced view if in fact they would be adversely affected by a change in the law structure? They will play dumb on one hand by suggesting any increase in flexibility of the drug law would lead to confusion and complication enforcing any kind of other drug law structure. How can we be confident in our legal system if they are unable to change with public will? I think it is clear that marijuana should be free!

June 17, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  28. jenny

Anderson, do you plan to interview Rob Kampia or anyone from MPP (marijuana policy project) for this series?

June 17, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  29. Tom

Whats wrong with smoking marijuana? Its OK to have a couple drinks of alcohol and its OK to smoke tabacco. Both of which is far worse. What a backwards society.

June 17, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  30. Pot instead of Alcohol

I just prefer pot to alcohol.

It's like some folks enjoy Chinese more than Italian food. Is that so wrong? Alcohol makes me dizzy and tired.

So many people want it. The demand is there. Millions want it.

Just legalize it and educate parents and schools that it will be treated the same as alcohol.

People are going to do it anyways. There's no reason for this underground culture and blackmarket.

June 17, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  31. Bob

Legalizing pot could bring in enourmous revenues for the tax payers, especially if it's taxed at a higher rate than alcohol & tobacco.
    Today, drug dealers, big or small, enjoy the benefits by getting paid in cash, tax free money & the goverment doesn't get a penny out of that,
    Smokers are still going to smoke whether it's legal or not

June 17, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  32. Richard Lewis II U. S. Army Retired

Though I don't smoke, I feel that it would be best that marijuana be legalized, and legalized for those that have medical conditions that wish not to be medicated into outer space with so called legal DRUGS... I know why they will not do it..Because of the pressure from all the Drug Companies, What share of the profit will they get. NONE! The Government talks about DRUG DEALERS Well the U. S. Government is the biggest DRUG DEALER..HOW you may ask, think about it what does a drug dealer do, regulates what drugs go where and how much to whom. WELL That is just what the U.S. Government is doing. I'll tell you I have never ever heard of a person over dosing on Marijuana, BUT I have heard of Doctors and hospitals over dosing people in Hospitals and their homes.. On So called LEGAL drugs.
    What the American people have to do is send letters Faxes, E-mails by the hundreds to the President's office, Congress and the House or Rep. and keep sending them until they do something about it, the American people should become the biggest lobbyist group around. and can be.

June 17, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  33. darcy

What really disappoints me is how Obama was so cordial to his internet friends while running for president, but after being elected is asked about "legalizing marijuana" and all he has to say is "what are those folks on the internet up to," or something to that avail. He should go have another drink with his Hollywood friends.

June 17, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  34. Eric

Legalize it. There might be huge benefits. My opinion is big pharma is against. Easy to home grow. Not like trying to build your own lab to invent some new medicine. Think big pharma wants us to have easy access to something that might cut into their profits.

June 17, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  35. Deb

I agree that pot should be legalized. To put people in jail just because they enjoy smoking a joint is ridiculus. Our prisons should be used for real criminals, not pot smokers. Also i would rather see someone high on pot rather drunk on alcohol. JMO

June 17, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  36. David

It seems that it would make more sense to legalize marijuana,grow the plant then we could use it for many different reasons.Such as fabric, fuel, cooking,paper, and just about anything you can imagine.It would also create jobs here back at home.The money from taxing the plant could help build schools,roads, and buildings.All the while we would be going green.I don't think the government realizes that the answer to all this countries economic problems is growing in California and probaly every other small town or national forest in America.Read the Emperor wears no clothes

June 17, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  37. Judijo

Either decriminalize it or legalize it and tax the bageezuz out of it. It is STUPID to have alcohol and tobacco readily available to adults, but not cannibus. Prohibition didn't work in the early 1900s and it doesn't work now.

June 17, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  38. Mike

I had hoped for more objective journalism in you series on legalizing pot. Interviewing Meliisa Etheridge (or any other legitmate patient under a doctors care) represented that side of the debate reasonably. It's too bad that the "rebuttal" portion of the broadcast centered on a person who literally did EVERYTHING wrong. Come on AC, a diagnosed bi-polar who shopped the Internet for a "doctors" recommendation? That is a recipe for disaster whether you are looking for anything from aciphex to zoloft!!! The REAL problem there was the MECHANISM, NOT the medication.

June 17, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  39. Gina

I am so tired of the argument that legalizing pot will make more pot users. Cigarettes are legal now and it doesn't make more smokers. Alcohol is legal now and it doesn't make more drinkers. Both of those substances are just as addictive (if not more so) than pot and can cause just as much (if not more) damage. I say – legalize it and tax the heck out of it !!!

June 17, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  40. Leandra Baynes

I believe legalizing marijuana would generate a great deal of tax and profit to the country. But there is a downside when, users alter the natural form of the plants to increase their high. It would be a "miracle" to see this come to pass and be regulated here in the U.S. There must be discipline and education.

June 17, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  41. Thomas Aldrich

Not legalize Decriminalize that way when someone gets caught with marijuana its just a fine and will give the government money instead of taking money from our government by prosecuting and jailing non violent offenders

furthermore the money gained by giving civil infraction fines should be used for treatment of those that pay the fines in order to help people stay healthy , thus saving money on health care

June 17, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  42. Leeny

Medical marijuana is fine, let folks use it. I have nothing against it, but it would be really hard to determine blood "pot" limits for DUIs. Is there a threshold below which you are not high? Seriously, is that feasible like it is with alcohol? Also, no smoking pot in public because of the contact high. Too many problems to work out even though it would eliminate crime and raise revenue via a "sin" tax.

June 17, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  43. Travis

I have an “idea” for the U.S. Government. Send a representative to speak to the alcohol industry and see how much they are prepared to pay to keep the drug on the illegal list. Then have a representative speak to the drug cartel and see how much they will pay to keep it illegal. Then Tax the American people to justify the fight against all drugs on the list. You see how this could be an easier way to make tons of money and not make it legal. They cant make it legal now! It would be easier to make money illegal. MONEY is the addiction not marijuana. Therapy is expensive Weed is cheep, what to do? What To Do?

June 17, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  44. Donna Fitzsimmons

legalizing marijuana for medical purposes should be legal in all states as it does provide benefits. Hopefully they will address that aspect first.

June 17, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  45. Overgrow!

That's right. Overgrow. It is a known philosophy amongst the tens of thousands of geurilla Cannabis farmers in the USA and elsewhere. There is simply no possible way that law enforcement can stem the tide of domestic Cannabis cultivation. If the laws stay the same, they will continue to be ignored. The indoor gardening industry itself is thriving thanks to the many many small scale closet and basement farmers that refuse to subvert to draconian laws and War On Drugs propaganda.

We will overgrow the continued prohibition of this fantastic plant.

I grow pot, and I vote!

June 17, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  46. tony

i say legalizing marijuana will help the country. From getting drug dealers off the streets to people getting better jobs. Drug test are required for new jobs, so the marijuana user has to start cleaning out their system, or take fake urine just to get in a work place. Once they are in, the go back to smoking marijuana. When others that drink alcohol wont have to clean their system to go get a job. Even the best employees smoke marijuana and still successful at a work environment. legalizing marijuana will help the country by the tax on marijuana. All in all, this will help many americans.

June 17, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  47. Cindy

It seems like to me that the Iranian government is getting more and more closer to actually attacking these protesters to try to stop this revolution, if you will. Shutting down phones and internet is just their way of trying to shut the rest of the world out of their lying and cheating ways. They don't want the truth known at what is going on. Hopefully the Iranian people will still be able to get out info to us. Since no reporters are allowed to tell anything the people are our reporters now.

Obama is only doing the insurance for gays thing to placate them. He's doing the least thing he can so they will shut up and still like him. The truth is that in lots of states gay couples can already be on each others insurances and such. So Obama isn't doing anything new! In most states where they have bans on gay marriage they have civil unions which gives them benefits, insurance rights, etc. Like I said...Obama is just placating them so they'll still back him. If he really wanted to do a big thing and something new he'd do away with "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" yet has he!? Will he!? NOPE!

This medical marijuana thing is hurt by people who use it just for simple things such as heartburn, like Melissa Ethridge does. It makes people who aren't for it or don't care one way or the other look at it and think they are just using to get high. Now I can see someone who is VERY sick maybe using it but someone with an everyday sickness makes the movement look desperate.

And for those of you harping yesterday that someone who's never tried pot shouldn't be speaking. Well I've never tried cocaine but I can tell you the effects of it and tell you it kills and is bad for you. You don't have to try drugs to know what it does to you. Learn something how about it. And just to shut you up even more...I tried it as a teen so there! It's useless and is as bad as alcohol if not worse. It causes cancers and all types of lung diseases and with widespread use if it were legal the medical problems from it would more than double! You can deny that all you want or even deny that it hurts you but you are not being truthful to yourselves or others. The fact is it has been medically proven and you can't deny that away even though you want to. The same things that's being said about legalizing pot was said about alcohol too and we see what very huge problems that caused our society!

And let me say it once again..I have NO problem with VERY ill people using pot to help them cope but to just use it for heartburn or such is asinine at best.

Cindy...Ga.

June 17, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  48. Patty Rising

Anderson,

We need to de-criminalize pot on a federal level.
    I was busted for a small amount (QT) and it cost me over 3k to get out of jail and clear my name. We need to get real here. The time is now.

Patty Rising
    South Carolina

June 17, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  49. Travis

Legalizing Marijuana is an impossible task. I say the american people start standing up and picketing all those court docs that are prosecuting people on marijuana charges and try change the minds of the people by using the power of the people. Who is in charge of this country the people or the government?

June 17, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Morning Penny

That's how you know the economy is really bad when a guy dresses up like his deased mother to gain a buck -wa,wa. Light up those bong's now more pot smoking poltics .Medecine man growing weed for any of your health related issues well if it works whaat's the big deal .It will benefit your healing and for patients to respond better it's used for the right reasons so let the arguements begin .

Thanks for the buzz