June 17th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/17/09

Tonight on 360°, we're looking at the big question on many minds: Is Iran collapsing? Another major protest expected any moment now over last week's presidential election. There are still reports that the baton wielding paramilitary is attacking protesters. We'll have the latest from Tehran.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori from IL

Wow - how low can we go - a teenage texting contest! Now there's something for your college application/resume! Would lilke to see these same teens math and spelling grades -

June 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. ericacnn

very interested to hear this next discussion

June 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Deborah - Atlanta by way of Calgary

I just returned from Iran a few weeks ago. I saw many beautiful places and met many warm wonderful people. This is a sad event but one that must play out in the name of freedom and democracy. I talk to my mother-in-law and brother-in-law in Tehran every day and things are harsh; cell phones being cut off in the evenings, no internet, power going off for hours at a time but the people are all pullig together for each other. I'm told that even with no cell phones, updates can be passed by word of mouth to thousands of people in a very short time. I guess when you are used to living under those kind of conditions, you develop your own means of survival. I hope to return very soon. Let's remember to pray for them all, citizens and police alike. We are all human beings.

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Sanchez

if we can reduce our debt by legalizing marijuana and taxing it why aren't we doing this again?

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Kent,Oakland ca.

According to president Obama both regimes, the current and that of Moussavi's would be difficult to deal with for the United states.That said I think the Iranian people deserve to get the president they voted for. Can anyone imagine this in the U.S?...not a chance!

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Peter

We see increasing number of reports that there are non-Iranian Arabs working with the Basiji militia. Many in Iran are shocked to see them. Any comments? Can your Stanford expert comment?

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Don, WA

LOL!!

June 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. mikez

as a doctor would you say overall marijuana use is safer than cigarettes and alcohol?

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and chat typists,

Oh my lord, the Iran's protest pictures look luridly horrifying. There needs be reconciliation and mutual understanding among dissidents.

On the lighter footnotes, I'm ebulliently happy to see Mr president sign a memorandum of same-sex partnership benefits for federal workers... Gotta get busy finding the one!

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Tehranistan) (Spokandyland)

LOL....laugh out loud....

but Anderson might like, ROFL, LMAO,

lawls!

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Jordan Dillow

Wow, "Psycho". Life imitates are or art imitates life?

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The violence in the streets is brutal and disturbing innocent people are getting hurt i pray for the country to have peace soon .

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Iranians have suffered much with this current Presdient and when the votes were going in favor of the challenger they fixed the election and now thre is strife and protests .

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Jeremy Morris-Dallas

Our president is doing well not to deeply get involved in this mess.For sure these hardliners would love to have someone external to use as an excuse!

June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Nassim

One fantastic news I heard from my brother who lives in Tehran is that people know how to peacefully defend their rights:

1) When they see Basijs are coming toward them they sit down in the street all together and become absolutely silent. That way the basijis could not attack them b/c there is no reason to do so!

2) When a bsiji starts to attack them they all surround him and make a small circle around him so he cannot move around.

That's how they could manage peaceful protests for 5 days!

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. David, Mass

Hey Erica, your right!!! I have kept my tv on CNN everyday since the election in Iran in my home office.

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

I luv LOL. it says it all...quickly.. better yet is LMAO.

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  18. sonya rafie

i have emails from iranian up rise . one is showing govt tugs in civilian clothes knifing a man & using clubs on him .another showing a young man killed showing ijuries on his body very very graphic ,i need a n e/m address to send to yoy. also there are reports 5 labanes air planes landing in iran to kill people this govt pays labanes, phalestinian. thx

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The ones who tout christian values often it's a case of do as i say not as i do and they are total hypocrites.

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Farsheed

Keeping this story the main headline of everyday is big help to the people of Iran....this is a start to defeat the regime!! we need to exploit everything that goes on there to build world support for the people

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. mikez

Sonjay is it true that if you vaporize or eat marijuana that you avoid the carcinogens in the herb

June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Dodie ~ California

laugh out loud

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"The Truth About Cheating"

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

LOL

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Matt

No kidding Erica. I find myself following as closely as I can at work all day. Will the Iranian people have the courage to see this to the end?

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

What is going to happen with the election in Iran are they going to recount the votes ?@Erica

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica.....
    I agree with you..... I wonder Iran could be more be careful to stop violence or attack protesters on the street.

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Ham Nazari

Dear Anderson :
    Love your show. On Iran, I would like to say that regardless of what the outcome of the "investigation" into the June 12 election will be – I personally think that the Guardian Council will certify the announced results because the strongman of the Council has publicly supported Ahmadinejad – this is not going to effect Khamenei's (or Revolutionary Guards') goals of getting the nuclear bomb. So the US needs to move fast with its diplomacy, and have Plan B (serious pressure on Iran) and even Plan C (force) ready before US credibility is lost in the region, etc, and the cat is out of the bag.

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Carmella

i am not feeling the drug story, not sure why but it really is not of interest to me, the whole should we make it legal or not just isn't something that floats my boat. For medical purposes so be it if has proven efficacy. End of story in my opinion.

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

How absolutely frightening it would be to be in a plane as it was breaking-up. I wonder how long any of the passengers survived after the initial cabin pressure loss on 447?

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Robbie-North Carolina

Those poor people on the Air France plane...sad..so sad

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

@Isabel I agree and freedom of speech is the lifeblood of a democracy, it's also the lifeblood of human relationships. Your post excellently makes the pt that freedom of the speech and of the press helps people be full partners in their own societies and governments.

Abbas Milani's analysis takes a bit further the pt Reza Aslan made about how the clerics might be losing power. I hope there's not a collapse of the Iranian govt. Moussavi and his supporters are right ratchet down the protests, to help begin to avoid the violence that's breaking out. Hope it all doesn't backfire and end up with a massive crack down.

I do wonder what media people in Iran, other than cyber, have access to.

June 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. benny

People in Iran need change and the end to the mollahs dictatorship...they need freedom just like everyone else in the world

June 17, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The sexual scandal follows these senators and history keeps reapting itself .

June 17, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Carol, in SLC

Hey, I thought we were talking about legalizing pot.

;))

June 17, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Mando from Texas

Senator Ensign had an affair
    Then CCN covererd it- now that isnt fair
    How can he be president in two thousand twelve?
    with an award for hypocrisy right on his shelf?

June 17, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Nilo fro Los Angeles

It is always those who tout Christian Values and point fingers at others who are biggest offenders.

June 17, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

So many people preach family values and say that their spouse is the most important person in their worlds but I fear that a lot of them operate on the 'do as I say not as I do' mantra. When did wedding vows stop meaning what they did back in the day when my grandparents were married?

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Robbie-North Carolina

Hello blogger people...

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Peggy

Prayers go out to the silent protestors who will not allow their spirit to be silenced by those who fear freedom.....the world is watching your beautiful display of courage

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Evening Bloggers John Ensign is doing damage to his senate career by admitting this not to mention his family .

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Brendan-Massachusetts

I hope Iranians get what they want. I think they are very brave people risking beatings and death to stand up for their rights. We as Americans should admire that

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. anne-marie

Remember Ghandi first used non-violent protest so successfully to end British rule in India–looks like Iran is going to be forced to change because of the same power of the peaceful opposition-how incredible for the rest of the world to see!

We may be looking at the start of a very different Middle East with US army leaving Iraq and political change coming to Iran!

June 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Bita

Iranian people need America's support to succeed with their freedom. Their success is our success to fight terrorism in middle east. Iranian "Regime" is key for all the violence and should be stopped!. Iran does not need a new president, they need a change in regime towards democracy. What are your thoughts about this?

By the way, I Love your show Anderson!

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. AC FRED KOHN

Until I watched your report, I never saw marijuana as anything but a very safe but potent pain killer. Anything that can allow a victim a moment's piece when that person is suffering on-going chronic pain is, as far I'm concerned allowed to be legal. Hey, it's not addictive, it's natural and the best pain-killer in the world.What's the big deal in the overall scheme of things

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Dodie ~ California

Good evening Erica. Nice to see you here

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Ta Mnf

Thank ppl around the world, twitters, facebookers, Piratebay and all others goin Green to support iranians. we are watching and we are proud of the movement.

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Liza

Iran...I am proud to see the Iranians standing up for their rights from a corrupted election. I am so sorry to hear about and see the injuries and the deaths occurring but they are fighting for their rights, for their freedom. I stand behind the protesters 100% and know that you all are in my prayers.

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Mehr from Milwaukee

Hi Erica

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Isaac Golden

We are witnessing history in the making, the Persian people have awakened. The Clerics ruling Iran have seen their last days of absolute control. The dynamics of Obamas presidency, has stimulated an awarness of needed change around the globe. Even Israel has taken a step toward peace with the Palestinians, and with a change in the Iranian regime, the two state plan is now more then ever within grasp!

June 17, 2009 at 10:21 pm |