June 17th, 2009

Students email iReporter during Tehran University crackdown

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/meast/06/17/iran.elections.rallies/art.rallymon.afp.gi.jpg]

Tricia Escobedo
CNN

On Monday, the Iranian government announced it would begin to investigate reports of violence at a Tehran University dormitory. According to a CNN iReporter, a former Tehran University student, who did not want to be identified for security reasons, students jumped out of windows to escape police forces who threw tear gas and beat students early Monday morning.

While CNN has been unable to confirm the report because of the tight restrictions on international media at the moment, the iReporter shared with CNN emails he received from current students at Tehran University who reportedly witnessed the violence.

In his report, the iReporter quotes one email: "Last night they attacked the dorm, it was worse than July '99. They injured many, at least 150. Many more were injured. We don't have a good count yet. At least one student was killed, but they say up to five may be dead. Destruction was terrible."

A few hours later, around 2:30 A.M., the iReporter says he received an email from another friend at the University as the attack was occurring. Quoting the email, he says, "A few minutes ago, riot police entered the dorm. They are beating the students. They are shooting students with Winchester rifles. Some students are shot in belly, head, face. They are throwing tons of tear gases. They are coming in with motor bikes. Pray for us!"

There have been several reports of crackdowns at other universities throughout Iran. Students, the iReporter said, play a very important role in Iranian politics.

Filed under: 360° Q & A • 360° Radar • Iran • iReport
  1. Ramin

Anderson, I have a lot of respect for the late "King of Pop" Michael Jackson and his family. But please do realize that the people of Iran got tremendous amount of support from CNN by following the events there very closely up until when Michael Jackson died and then all of a sudden almost nothing is being said about Iran any more. You do not believe how greatly your coverage of i-reporters inspired so many individuals ( Iranian or not) to support the efforts of all that are trying to fight for their rights and put a stop to the horrible regime and all the genocide that are going on . Please cover more of Iran. Thank you and we love you Anderson.

July 10, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  2. Mary

My comment is on Congressman, Peter King. His comments on Michael Jackson the other day were appauling! Did he ever stop to think about Michael Jackson's children and the effect it would have on them? Peter King was cruel. He is entitled to his opinion, however, his remarks were horrible and he made me lose all respect for him. What a disgrace!!!

July 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  3. Cyrus

I have been waiting for this all my life. I just can't wait to see the last of these Mullahs. I pray that this is their fnal hour, the Iranian people deserve better.

June 18, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  4. Kevin Spaulding

are we really sure that Moosavi won??
    I think we(the USA) fail to comprehend Iran and this is a protest similiar to what happened in China. I think what we are truly seeing is a rather loud minority that is mad it lost. I think there is no exceuse for what he Iranian government is doing to squash the reporting and it only adds to the questions surrounding the votes. I for one will hold judgement s to whether fraud was comitted

June 17, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  5. mahshid

This is very typical of them! They arrest, they kill and at the end of the night they take over the cemetery outside of Tehran (Beheshte Zahra) and they bury all of them!!! It is very sad! There is a genocide happening on the streets of Iran, and they are trying to hide it all from media...
    Just like they’ve been hiding all the killings and all the tortures for the past 30 years!

June 17, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  6. Erin Ahlfinger - Dallas TX

As the Iranian people fight for the freedoms we so readily enjoy, I only hope they know they have the support of the American people. As they stand up to an unjust government, every American stands with them in spirit. Unfortunately, there is little more we can do to help.

June 17, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  7. RoseParvin

Moosavi is a reformist and follows Rose Global Peace and Reform Program and has people wearing black for not only mourning the youth who are dying without reason to die for my global peace Program is a without war and violence system and the rest is my prmoter's 12 eyar attempt to delete me out of my own prophecy and getting the young to get killed for his famously cheap lie stories in sitcoms and financed films where they all benefit from my pioneering work and identity while slandering and deleting me. Moosavi is not all that free to be a reformer or to have that much power. The power is all coming from me and my guidance and knowledge and my promoter implementation even though he is deleting me and going astray!

June 17, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  8. Ali R.

Anderson, you have to realize that the Iranian students fully comprehend the urgency behind this movement. If they fail to continue the protests and lessen the pressure upon the regime leaders, then most likely, they will have to wait another 30 years for the next opportunity to arise. For this reason, they are making strong efforts to oppose the militaristic regime that claims to be an Islamic Republic, but truly is not, since the lack of toleration for the protesters and the governmental violence against the students clearly is against Islamic moral values. In addition, Fatwas and the creation of the Sighe (temporary marriages) are nowhere mentioned in the Quran, yet the clerics in Iran have established these laws and declarations as "Islamic". If Iran truly was an Islamic Republic, then there would be no need to protest. And if the need ever did arise, then at least tolerance would be shown towards governmental opposition. Islam is a religion based on tolerance of other people's beliefs, cultures and religions, and these Iranian politicians have deliberately manipulated the population of Iran under the disguise of "Islam" for their own selfish benefits – to maintain power and control over the Iranian people, despite extreme discontent and resistance from Iranians.

June 17, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  9. Davis

The current leadership in Iran has proven their true totalitarianism. They should step down, and listen to the cries of people who want to be free of government oppression.The blood of young Iranians demands justification from the streets.

June 17, 2009 at 5:10 pm |