June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bud Falkner

Regular everyday people like to smoke to relax. Let me grow it and smoke one of God's most amazing creations.

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Tiger

Why did they even do a interview with that Lisa woman? She was already on the brink of suicide before she got the medi pot license. If she has bipolar, then of course she is going to have an addictive attitude towards things like pot that make you feel better. I mean, she was smoking as soon as she woke up and all day long, that would make me depressed too. I'm so glad Melissa used it and it helped her. And I'm glad she is supporting the legalization of medi pot.

I have chronic neck pain which leads to migraines usually 3-4 times a week and pot gets rid of the nausea and a lot of time gets rid of the whole migraine itself. Legalize it, tax it, whatever, just do it!

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Natalie

I really don't understand why this is all such a huge deal. People can drink as much alcohol as they want and abuse prescription drugs to get buzzed or high. Pot I feel is much less dangerous than alcohol and makes people calm not angry and violent like many do when they drink. Legalizing pot for medicinal or recreational purposes could make the state a huge amount of money through taxation. Also, in the process help all those who are suffering from cancer and other ailments. why not make it legal???

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Donny

Anderson, it is a plant man has catagorized it and if it is a drug god made it, man makes drugs not god. Now i have had a major head injury and it has been a blessing i am still recovering and I use when I need it. Would you beleive that alcohol is legal and not pot.

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Mac

Marijuana is a harmless drug however it can alter your state of mind. If you have a frail state of mind as it is, you should not use it. Just the same as how you wouldn't take AIDS medicine if you have Cancer.

It can be used to help millions of people worldwide, however we have turned our back to it. Why? Who knows. But the truth is out now, we can save lives. It is as simple as that.

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. David in Bristol, TN.

Anyone who studies this issue without a preconceived bias will quickly see the benefits to RE-legalizing marijuana. I was relegalized during WWII to support our Navy! It was a forced agricultural commodity during the first 2 centuries of this country. It produces one of the best Omega 2 fatty acid complexes known to man. All its properties, INCLUDING the THC has benefits and I fully support making canabis=marijuana=hemp, legal again.

"Just Say Know!"

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. cristy kirssin

Setiva sounds like Stevia the artificial sweetener, which is pretty funny...

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. matt

personally, i think pot should deffinitely be legalized. this country spends way too much money locking up people for simple possession on a "drug" that isn't addictive. no one in history has ever smoked pot and went out on a murderous rampage, and no one has ever over-dosed on pot either. legalize it and tax it. could help the economy.

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Otis Eldridge

I feel that if the drug is to be legalized it should definately be kept out of the hands of people who are at risk for psychological illness. I feel the lady that they used to represent the bad effects should have never been prescribed medical marijauna anyway, because she was already at risk for hurting herself.

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Isabel, Brazil

If marijuana can help treat or assist in treatment of diseases, why not use it within prescribed limits, as controlled drug and with medical prescription?

June 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. corey

I work in a beer store and I see the way alcohol makes people. It is truley addictive we have people that come in everyday for an 18 pack or a 12 pack. They return filthy cans that are slimey with bugs in them and smells a thousand times worse than marijuana. It's extremely discusting.

12. Cathy Calcagno

THC is not bad for you. you should read whats in your pack of smokes right now tar .....

13. Seb

Legalization of Marijuana is certainly an important issue. But the legalization and cultivation of HEMP is so much more important! Shift the focus AC. Hemp can save the cali economy even if no one's smoking it!

14. Derek

Marijuana had never been linked to suicide, however every single anti depression medication that you see advertisied on TV, guess what all of them have listed as a side effect suicide! Please someone explain that to me.

15. Kathy, Chicago

AC, your trip to Iran sounded scary. So, did you get to sample anything while doing your story on pot?

16. Greg

I've smoked pot recreationally for over 30 years and through cancer in my late 20s. without it I would not have completed radiation treatment. It is not addictive and far less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes. No one dies, or beets up their wife or child from smoking pot. I also think it is ridiculous to think that any government has the right to prohibit the cultivation or use of any plant that grows on our planet. It is not the same thing as turning poppies into heroin, that should be illegal.

17. Mark (Ohio)

If marijuana really has medicinal properties, its helpful elements need to be reduced to a controlled pill form so it can be dispensed and studied like a real prescription. Until that happens I believe it will always have a negative connotation.

18. Dorothy McAden

Marijuana is typically smoked. Why is there no mention of the damage it does to lungs?

19. Cynthia, NC

Interesting stories on medical marijuana. I can see the advantages with it's use treating physical ailments, but not with psychological disorders.

20. Fred

Used to treat different symptoms? Give me a break.

21. Mike

50,000 people die every year from alcohol related traffic deaths. Has there ever been a death attributed to marijuana? Is it really the gateway drug or is that alcohol?

22. Alycia

People are so judgmental!!! I guarantee that 90% of these people saying how bad the use of Marijuana is, will go home this evening and crack a beer, or open a bottle of wine. I have NEVER heard a story of a 'stoned driver' killing anyone!

23. Mason, North Carolina

AC, I'm a quadriplegic and live in a non medical marijuana state. I have servere nerve pain and muscle spasms but afford to get perscription drugs, physically and finacially. So now I'm forced to do something illegal to live my daily life.

Mason

24. Elena

The woman who used it for her bipolar disorder CLEARLY was out to abuse it. I don't even think that is a fair comparison.

25. Justin

Regarding the medical marijuana patient with bipolar disorder, marijuana can be beneficial, but using it to treat mental disorders is not an exact science, we still don't know enough about the human brain or how marijuana interacts with it in order to make definitive judgements regarding treatment. If she was concerned about her mental health she should have been in regular contact with her physician, and she should remember that marijuana is not "prescribed", its "recommended" and it's exactly for the reason that it's an inexact science, it may help, or it may not. Don't demonize what didn't work for you, when it's helping so many others.

-Former CA medical marjiuana patient (also for mental disorders)

26. Anthonia-Califonia

@Lisa- Personally, i believe that marijuana should be legalize for people who have illnesses like bipolar or insomnia..but its such a shame that it hasnt been legalized!

27. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

I have known numerous people who have bad drunk experiences including alcohol poisoning and drunk driving manslaughter. I have never heard of problems or violence with marijuana.
    My vote is to legalize it. It may be good for alcoholism too.

28. Isha

Why is something like vicodin given out on prescription but something just as addictive and dangerous like weed not controlled?

29. Brian

I fully agree w/Sativa!
    Mr. Hope is confused. It would have to be regulated just as any other drug is whether it's alcohol, tobacco, or vicodin.
    Live in the now.

30. Tommy Peacock

Pot is a personality reducer! Over time one becomes less interested. It numbs you. It makes you feel less. Don't you want to live life feeling what life has to offer good or bad! It is a drug as is alcohol.

31. linda, florida

That was such a poor example of "anti" pot. That woman has deep problems and if she did not smoke pot it would be alcohol or Tylenol pm or something else. I do not smoke pot and will not even if it is legalized but I firmly believe this country needs to grow up. It is not a "gateway" drug and it is no more harmful than either cigarettes or alcohol.

32. Chadd McKeen

THERE ARE LIMITS and to be honest 'm very shocked that Andersons team would allow erroneous information to be presented during this special. There are limits on how much you can purchase.

33. Cory Dorman

I am a supporter of legalizing marijuana, but wouldn't black market transactions still exist even if it is legalized?

34. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson

Thank you for sharing why you were arrested in Iran.I can \only imagine how scary an experience like that was.

At least they were polite and did not mistreat you.

I hope that Christian A. stays safe in Iran now. Since she was born there and has CNN to back her up, she will hopefully be fine.

35. Kenneth

I plan to open a dispensary as soon as my state laws, or the federal laws change. Stop on by!

36. Gerri Butterman

Medical marijuana just makes sense. I'm not a cancer survivor, but I have lived with Fibromyalgia for 15 years, and it's the best thing for the pain without the addiction and side effects of prescription narcotics.

37. Jacob Alt

Lisa–very dangerous to smoke and drive. You should have known better and I know your doctor warned you about driving or operating machinery when "high"–just like any other prescription drug.

38. Chris

Let the states decide! Whatever happened to that piece of paper called the Constitution?

39. Nick

My dad has recently daigonised for cancer and planning to go through cemo. I would like to know more about medical marijuana for pain control. Any useful web-links?

40. Keegan

marijuana has helped my depression and insomnia in an unbelievable way after trying with so many meds that failed or had bad side affects

41. Sue

I'm sure if the government could tax pot, like they do alcohol and cigarettes, it would not be illegal.

42. Rebekah

@Anderson – well from reading about everything else that has happened to you while chasing a story, i'm not surprised that that happened. i mean really, i read your book a while back and i could just feel there were other stories you didn't mention – guess that was one of 'em.

human rights.... now THAT's a tough one.... i just don't see why people can't give a little control to someone over their own life. Iran needs to just calm down and let people protest if they want to protest – maybe if they see how many people are angry, something good might come of it!

oh, and Michigan legalized medical marijuana too.

43. Colin

Decriminalizing,legalizing,do it all. it should of been done a long time a go. Tax It, Regulate It, Restrict it. its not that hard it will change the crime and drug rate majorly and many imates will be released becuase of this stupid law.

44. Sarah , Rosenberg, Tx

I started smoking marijuana at a young age for reasons I do not wish to share unless Anderson is interested in finding out.
    I do enjoy smoking it , it relaxes me. America...stop being so judgemental, people from Presidents, to the everday person have tried it , I don't care if you inhaled or not , you still tried it !

45. Farzad

Hello Anderson. I am an Iranian American who has been following the election news from day first, and am so happy for Iranian people who have waken up after thirty years of humiliation by the Islamic theocracy of mullahs in Iran. I believe that in this time and now that people are standing for their rights the world should support them and stand beside them. By these riots and demonstrations the people of Iran are showing to the world that they need freedom and democracy, not a religious government that rules every thing based on religion, my best wishes to the Iranian people.

Thanks for your time Mr Cooper.

46. Lorraine Zambre

I think that the most encouraging thing about the protests to the election in Iran is that there are actually women in the crowd of protesters! In so many other muslim countries, you only see men in the streets protesting.

47. Jeremy

Keeping marijuana illegal is suppling the cartel which gets more stronger drugs from the Taliban in which is also suppling the Terorists when the solution to the problem is simple legalize and tax it where it cuts off the cartel.

48. Todd, NY

This stuff is not even really debatable anymore. Cant we just Legalize this stuff already? How much more evidence do we have to show to change the minds of a few more?

49. Jeff

You just made a statement that the young woman had become "addicted" to pot. Please explain, in medical and scientific terms, how you determined that she was "addicted." Is this an addiction similar to heroin, alcohol, or nicotine?

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Seth

-So how do the negatives of marijuana compare to the negatives of alcohol?

-How many people actually have been killed from overdosing while using marijuana compared to alcohol?

-Why keep marijuana illegal when alcohol is by far more addictive, unhealthy, & deadly?

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |