June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Robert Smith

I have been smoking pot for years, aside from the occasional social drink, nicotine, caffiene, asprin and the like, I dont take any other drugs. I had to quit when I joined the Army or I would have been discharged and lost my benefits. After my honorable discharge I am happy to be able to smoke again. In my experience it is not a 'gateway drug' and it is not addictive. From what I understand, anything that does not trigger endorphins in the brain is not.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Chris

legalize it and tax it. Its about time this issue is getting coverage.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. charles

legalizing marijauna altogether would probably save california.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Josh

Marijuana is actually quite benign, especially in comparison to alcohol. I've never heard of anyone O.D.-ing on weeds, but plenty of people die of alcohol poisoning.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

I wouldn't mind pot being legal, as long as it is treated with the same rules as other medications and alcohol.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  6. LisaL - Canada

so i am curious, whether or not "Lisa" had followup care from the original prescribing doctor (or any continued followup care). it sounds as though she was sort of given a prescription, and then just turned loose in the pharmacy. isn't that a bit of a concern – especially if there were some underlying psychological problems originally...

MelissaE, on the other hand, would have been in communication with a doctor, or team of medical people (i am assuming).

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Curtis Colons

Marijuana is a God given plant so tell God what else should not be here. Economically a gold mine and revenue inflator thus a moral boost for the nation that even supreme conservatives recognize the capitalistic American opportunity.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  8. leslie allen

i will say this about the legalization of weed is this, i have heard some people say that it should be legal and regulated like alcohol. not totally legal but have some control on when and where just like alcohol.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  9. JJ

The Lisa case is highly deceptive in my opinion. SHE used it in excess, and anything used in excess has bad consequences, so technically this shouldn't be used as an argument against marijuana legalization. She even says herself marijuana should be legalized, however she chooses not to use it anymore.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Zack from Nashville, TN

I do not smoke Marijuana, but I have seen it first hand. I have seen worse things happen when people use alcohol then when they use marijuana. I don't understand how American can allow alcohol but not allow marijuana. They are both "drugs" and both should be regulated the same.

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

I still have college friends that would love to have pot legalized. My kids both tried it, but neither really likes to smoke anything. As a parent, I am in the denial stage of life and can't comment!

June 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Dulcie - Denver

Thanks for the wonderful interview with Melissa Etheridge. I'll certainly look for the longer one on the blog.

Ironically, in the small city where I work (I don't live there, just work there), there's a medical marijuana grower located right behind the police station. No one's very happy about it, but it's legal.

13. Shadi From DC

Anderson:
    Please tell us if would like to uset the footage, and videos from phone and other devices and share them with others., There is so much going on when the International media is not rolling. Iranina people would like the world to know what is going on. Please let us share the video with you so that you can share them on behalf of the Iraninan People.

14. Edith Ostrowsky

Like all meds not everyone benefits from the same drug. Just listen to the warning accompanying tv ads. All patients should be able to try marijuana, especially those ill with cancer. Our society is too bent on controlling what an individual can or can not do. But, it is very lax when it comes to protecting us against "bad drugs" that the FDA allowed on the market.

15. Ray, Long Island

If what I observed is correct, this woman was suicidal and had psychological issues beforehand. Then chose to indulge and was fine with it for a period.Then at some point she decided it just wasnt for her and blamed marijuana for her becoming suicidal again. At what point does marijuana assume the responsibility for her problems resurfacing?

16. Matt C in Omaha, NE

Arguing for legalizing marijuana only as a medicine is the wrong approach. While it might be helpful for a variety of ailments its main use is as a recreational drug.

Alcohol and tobacco are legal yet thousands of Americans die every year because of their use. For a country with "personal responsibility" and "liberty" as two of our most cherished values we sure like to cherry-pick how they're applied.

17. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@ Anderson, what an unusual type on incarceration. I can only imagine how frightening (and dangerous) it would be to be put in prison in a foreign country. Were you alone or did you share space with other reporters or Iranians?

18. Larry

I am currently an MMJ patient in So. Cal. I have an auto-immune disease which affects the nerves in my legs. At night when my brace comes off & I get in bed, the hot, stabbing pains start. This also affects my sleep (or lack thereof). With medicinal marijuana, it helps to deaden the pain & allows me to get at least 5 hrs. of much needed sleep. I'm not a "stoner"......far from it. I'm 62 yrs. old & refuse to take addicting opiates that were prescribed by the VA.

Bottom line....it works!!

19. Teresa Eisenrich

medical marijuana debate 'like my 17 yr old son said, Mom I can get marijuana anytime of the day, and its illegal, I would have a more difficult time getting alcohol and alcohol is legal!! what is the difference between drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana, your both getting a high of some kind,.

20. Linda -NY

I support medicinal marijuana being legalized. I also support it being legalized in general. The effects are far less than alcohol, you know what your are doing while under the influence, over indulgence of alcohol, not so much. I've smoked many years, and have quit for months at a time, for certain instances, like drug screening for jobs. So, it is NOT addictive, and has not led me to stronger drugs.

Time to wake up America, it's no worse than alcohol, and that is legal .

21. Jacob Alt

Marijuana is like anything else–It is for some but not all.I feel sorry for Lisa, but at least she didn't die from taking aspirin for a headache!

22. Lori from IL

I think if pot is going to be legal for medicial purposes, it should be treated as a perscription narcotic, controlled by physicians - appeared to be a little too easy for "Lisa" to obtain.

23. Charlie from LA

We have to at least open a dialogue about marijuana – allow independent studies – and begin with the fair analysis of the herb. The first question must be, does it belong on the federal government’s Schedule I drug list along with heroin?

24. Vida

In reference to Anderson question this election was not real due to fact that many of us were not allowed to vote in Houston, TX and were told that they have finished their forms at 3 pm and this happen to many others in other states and in Iran. This is not an election, this is a selection.

25. Will R

Alcohol has the same effect as far as dependency and ruining lives just like Lisa. So the marijuana addiction is just like any other like being addicted to chocolate or even dangerous cocaine! You can't overdose on marijuana and I never heard of any emergency room visits because of a marijuana overdose. If anything the person would pass out for an hour or so and be all right.

26. leslieb

just because you may smoke pot for medical or other does not mean that you will become a heroin addict. Pot is completely different from other drugs. There are many resons to make pot legal and from a government point of view they could make millions. This is long overdue and I feel it will eventually will be legalized!

27. James Philly

Lithium side effects include nausea, vomiting, diahrea, dizziness and siezures.

28. David

Lisa sounds like she has other issues. I have been smoking for 3o+ yrs and I have never thought of sucide

29. Dodie ~ California

If you legalize Cannabis, people will not need to make the excuses.

I have seen two people physically addicted to Cannabis and had to have a medical detox. It is very rare, but it does happen.

30. connie swenson

Marijuana is not for everyone. However, it should be legalized. If alcohol is legal, so should marijuana. Most people that are against marijuana are not even familiar with the SOFT drug.

31. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

never give a person with depression pot!

32. charles

lisa on interview now has her own problems, probably is addictable to other items.

i have epileptic seizures will probably start medicinal marijuana meds. don't always work.

33. From Seattle

I've smoked pot for the last 10 years. I graduated University of Washington, and now entering a medical school. Pot never made me make any poor decisions unlike alcohol that we drank like water during college. Make it legal and tax it !!!! It will end a lot of problems!!!

34. mariam

did anderson just say "bong hits"??

35. Jarred from Georgia

Marijuana should be legalized due to scientific research proving that it is an herb and not a "drug", and to help stabilize our economy. Didn't we do the same with alcohol and prohibition to ease the Great Depression?

36. Dan

I think that it is everybody's human right to do whatever they want to with their own bodies. And so I think that all drugs should ideally be legal and government regulated just as alcohol is, this will effectively take the drugs out of the hands of criminals and make them much safer.
    I realize that that is a drastic step that perhaps America is not yet ready for but legalizing marijuana seems like a good first step.

37. Lakeith in VA

Think about this...God made pot....man made beer.....who do you trust?

38. Esteban Ezrre

I am a Pharmacy Tec. and I would be out of a job if the gov. legalize marijuana.

39. sherri

How many car accidents are there from smoking grass???? how many car accidents and deaths are the results of having a drink?

40. allison

I think medicinal marijuana is absolutely brilliant. It may not work for everyone, but like every prescription drug, you have to do some test trials on many things to see what works best for you. I have been writing papers and doing speeches on legalizing marijuana for many years, mostly because my beloved uncled died of AIDS and throughout his worst days, medicinal marijuana was his helping hand. I support medicinal marijuana the way all doctors across America support vicodin and valium.......it is hypocritical to say that one is more addictive than the other.

41. Jonathon

Marijuana must be legalized in America.We have a wonderful EXTREMELY Liberal President that we helped to elect.I believe he wants to legalize it anyway because I have read Dreams from My Father and know it's not a big deal to him.Marijuana is so readily availiable everywhere anyway, who cares! It's just a plant. Rediculous that the country even has to discuss this.

42. Mike

"Lisa" seems to have abused her prescription medication. Perhaps she should have looked at other drugs, it is not for everyone. Also if you're not willing to show yourself on TV and bad mouth a natural plant, you discredit your argument. The same argument could be made for alcohol abuse. NO ONE FIGHTS WHEN STONED!

43. Laleh A

Thank you for the extensive coverage of what is happening in Iran. I think the people of Iran deserve to be heard and it is up to the media to cover the mis justice

44. Nick - CA

Marijuana should definitely be legal. Who are we as a society to ban a drug thats been in use for thousands of years, and persecute people who just want to get high? And on top of that, its been proven to be less harmful than alcohol. I just dont get it.

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Shannon

Marijuana is a viable, beneficial, and incredibly valuable herbal medicine. If I want to use a natural plant to combat pain, anxiety, or stress then that is my prerogative. End of story.

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson

Your story is amazing. Thanks!

In time: the special about pot is excellent and clear! Thanks, again!

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Alycia

"Lisa" just said she had thoughts of suicide of BEFORE starting Marijuana. Yeah people with underlying causes should not take it, just like with any other drug out there. She went from Marijuana to Lithium, if that's not an underlying problem, I don't know what is.

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. sally rogers

I think marijuana should be decriminalized in the U.S. as it is in Holland.

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Che Chomsky

this lady should not be smoking pot if she is bipolar.
    Go Weed

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Rick

I'm 49 and have never heard of anyone who has been killed by a driver who smoked pot.
    Can you say the same for drunk alcoholic drivers. Didn't think so!!!

June 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |