June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michael in VA

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. President.
    Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Brian

Marijuana is natural and requires no manufacturing processes or additives like the 'legal' drugs require'. Why can't I make my own decision? I thought this was America?

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Jeremy

The teacher who said that about marijuana is full of it I am way older than she is and used it for my bi-polar and it works great for it. the only reason why I had to quit is due to the fact that the doctor would not perscribe it to me for one thing and also because of other reasons due to legality issues.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Joe

Hi, I'm Joe.

I had cervical fusion in 1996. Today, I have arthritus in that area. Medical pot is a god send for me, I now longer have to live out my days in excruciationg pain.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. leslieb

this should be interesting

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Workin Man

What I want to know is how the last three Presidents we have had all have smoked Cannabis, Obama even joked about it. If you can smoke Cannabis and become President of the United States, Then admit it on T.V. but yet it could ruin another persons life, by jail/prison and loss of job opportunities. I know police, doctors, and even lawyers who smoke cannabis... its time we Take cannabis off of Schedule 1, its less harmful than alcohol.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Obama has the capacity to bring youg people together and change the world 's ways to new ways of thinking and i hope it reflects that in other countries.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Alex

Hi Anderson, would you like to know why I think cannabis is still illegal?

The Baby Boomers.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Todd

I would like some more of Melissa Etheridge. It's better on m 42" than my monitor. Please, just cut some coverage out of the next lady's segment.

June 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Samantha M.

That store would be my roommate's dream come true. As the roommate of an addict I hear a lot about her dreams of getting prescribed medical marijuana. I doubt she is the only college kid thinking that.

11. Stefano Viglietti

Torture is torture objectively and definitively. There should be no double standard. Bush was treated unfairly in this regard. I feel Obama will now get credit for much of what Bush put in motion.

12. Sheila Timmons

Pro legalization of marijuana.

13. Matt

I just roled a joint and can't believe that I actually agree with M. Ethridge on something.

Time to smoke and read up more on what's going on in Iran.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

14. Lynnette - California

Yes it should be legalized. Helps with my depression – instantly

15. Ryan Hope

I know of number of people who simply have a pot card to get high and these guys are driving high and on our roads. If our nation legalizes pot, how about airline pilots, truck drivers, teachers, police, etc. Can they get high on their lunch break?????? This medical pot thing is a complete joke!

16. Robert

Get over your ignorance America, do what is right and push for the legalization of a harmless (in comparison) herb for medicinal purposes so the suffering can finally get some relief.

17. carolm

How do the blogglers feel about legalizing weed?

18. Matt

Marijuana should be legalized. Half of America has tried it and knows its not the dangerous drug that the government wants you to believe it is. It actually has many medicinal benefits! I really hope we can start seeing change in our marijuana laws.

19. Jason

i can't seem to find the link to the live broadcast of this segment. I get a behind the scenes thing, but there is no audio. What's going on?

20. Ray, Long Island

Ms. Etheridge is completely right, who is to say what treatment is appropriate for whom other than that person and their physician? As for the upcoming story on a woman with bipolar disorder who claims it ruined her life, one of my best friends suffers from the same ailment and marijuana has done nothing but improve her outlook on life since she began to indulge. So I'm quite intrigued to see what this woman has to say.

21. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

I have read some reports of ingesting marijuana as Melissa suggested, and it actually reduces and prevents cancer cells. That was one report I read. Anyone else read such?

22. Frank Dixon

Who are we to judge what an adult can or cannot put in their body?

23. Patty

If marijuana is the drug of choice for sick people, why not ? It's more organic then most.

Drug companies don't want to the competition?

24. proshat

I can't believe the thing they are doing to the people there. I use to live there and I have a lot of family there I am scared for my family and for the people who live there I just wish them the best and I hope they get what they want

June 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Tommy V

I cannot believe marijuana is not legal yet

June 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Elliot Klein

The protests in the streets of Iran are a direct result of the efforts made by President Obama to open dialogue. While Bush-Cheney were making threats, Ahmadinijead's anti-American rhetoric kept them behind him. Now they see that relations with the U.S. can be different and realize that they can be free of a dangerous leader.

June 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Anthonia-Califonia

So if marijuana does get legalize, what happens to the dope dealers who previsiouly sold marijuana on streets and was sentenced to jail? do they get out?

June 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Tom

I live in California and our so called medical marijuana problem is totally out of control. We have over 600 pot shops in Los Angeles alone, more than Starbucks!

June 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  29. MaryJane Cannabian

Thank You Melissa Etheredge for speaking up for Medical Marijuana patients everywhere!

30. cristy kirssin

I would love to talk about Israel. What about Netanyahu's remarks Sunday to compromise on a 2 State solution. Even after those remarks, The Palestinians said there is still little to negotiate with. What else more do they want?

31. kim-chicago

When you are that ill...I say whatever it takes.

32. Lori from IL

Melissa Etheridge story is very interesting. My brother-in-law lost his battle with cancer on Thursday night. I watched him go through two rounds of chemo and all that went with it - Ms. Etheridge is right, the drugs used to counter the effects of chemo all have their own side effects - managing the drugs was a full-time job for my sister, and often times overwhelming.

33. James Philly

I think that at the very least, sick people should have access to cannabis.

34. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The aray of brownies and candy made from pot is really going to far but they should have it made just for medecinal puroses in a pill form to take for your pain.

35. Sharon

Every marijuana user will tell you it is not addictive. When we legalize alcohol, there were a whole set of other problems. When we legalize marijuana, we better be prepared to deal with the problems it will create.

36. JAY

Evening AC, watching Melissa now. good interview! I believe that weed should be legilzed for a # of reasons.

37. Samantha M.

Wow looks like so many bloggers tonight have family in Iran. Hope all your families are safe!

38. alia

I was deeply troubled by Al Gore's loss to Bush and with reason. The courts confirmed the irregularities, but I didn't take to the streets because this is a country of laws.

That people take the law into their own hands should not be applauded any where. We shouldn't stop them, if that's the way they want to do it, but we have no lesson of democracy to give to anyone.

I still say, if Algore had been prez. instead of Bush, we woudn't be in this mess. I feel the pain of people who can't change things when they want to, but we can't encourage people not to accept defeat. Either way, it is bad for a country.

Oppositions in other countries should learn to regroup and be creative like Obama did, rather than use the masses for their selfish interest.

Give me a break, this is a guy who was prime minister and Iran was no better then. What does he have to give now that he couldn't give before?

Use your head and stop being bigots.

June 15, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

the only reason pot should be legalized is so none of the pot smokers don't have anything to talk about.

40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The names of the those particular 'blends' sound a bit scary!...But in all seriousness I am very much enjoying this report!

41. Isabel, Brazil

On AIDS, no medicine is so effective to restore the weight of HIV like marijuana.
    Marijuana gives hunger (munchies). Anyone who smokes knows that (incidentally, this is one of its drawbacks: it fattening).

42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Addicts will do whatever they can to get their drugs, even lie about needing them for medicinal purposes. It happens all of the time.

43. hamoon

Hi everyone
    Iran is not safe at all but we will fight back to get our right back, i also can say Mosavi is not the best person to be our president but at least he is better than Ahmadi. it is the choose between bad and worst but Mosavi gave us a little hope to reach freedom and live in a country without islamic rules. we want freedom, we want freedom. please America help us we need international support.

44. Brian

My sister died from leukemia about 10 years ago. Our parents spared no expense on treatments/medications. Nothing helped her appetite, nausea, or outlook on life. She used marijuana privately and was almost instantly transformed back to the normal, fun loving person, I always new her as.
    Marijuana should be legalized and regulated while alcohol and tobacco should be classified just like heroin and crack; highly addictive and extremely deadly.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Jeremy Morris

Oh Anderson ! I guess that awful experience sharpened your skills at some point.But bad you reported for only one day.Your covereage of planet at peril.....Congo forest was wonderful.April this yr met guys at some Kinshasha joint who really thanked you and Dr Sanjay Gupta for highlighting what goes on there.They were so happy. I showed them how to blog before flying back a week later.Keep it up.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. shankar

Hi i just wanted to know if there going to be a story about Srilanka in AC360. There are more then 250, 000 internally displaced people are kept behind the barbwire which resemble the images of the Nazi concentration camps and know one is talking about it. Are you going to take an active role in showing this to the world?

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Sativa

Hey Anderson:

I am a medical marijuana user from Canada.
    I have been smoking for over 30 years. My lungs are tottally clear, I was the top student in my 2 year program, top salesman at work, and I smoked everyday. I am high-functioning and healthy.
    It is NOT a gateway drug...it is a soft drug that has never killed anyone.
    Why, instead of interviewing celebs, and older folk, or very hairy folk, why don't you interview the everyday guy on the street re pot. The everyday family man who smokes, not people from polar extremes?

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Melissa is right! It certainly helps people and I too am tired of all the judgement.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Fred

The only way you can abuse marijuana is to forget to water it.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson

The Netherlands was the first country in the world to make available the marijuana under a prescription for the treatment of chronic pain, nausea and loss of appetite in cases of cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis, right?

In those countries that the marijuana was legalized, how things are?
    How people deal with that?

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |