June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Wydok

We don't care about weed now, Anderson. This 24-hour news network needs to spend 24-hours-a-day reporting ONLY on the Iranian Revolution. The first Gulf War is what gave you guys your first big story.

I want real news.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Kathy, Chicago

Maybe if they legalize pot, the govt can tax the patutties out of it and pay for Obama's health plan.

June 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Michael in VA

Melissa Etheridge is a role model

4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson and Erica,
    Yes, It is very incredible story..... I read their blog as what Iran are talking too violence or unrest on their street.... I am glad I like Iran coverage for me to hear....... really awful for people are protesting.

5. Mike

How can marijuana be a schedule 1 drug if it can be used medicinally? How can we put non violent pot deales in prison for such long mandatory sentences? I think it is time to rethink our drug policies, they are out dated.
    Mike in Vermont

6. starr formerly known as vincent

As i have written before, i am a retired RN and fully support the legalization of "pot" for those patients that it works for.

In my experience, not everyone gains relief from smoking or the pills, however, it would appear the majority of patients repond well. It stimulates the appetitie for those on chemo (or other conditions that affect the appetite like Pain).

I really think that we need an Intelligent, Educational, debate in this country. There are too many myths about this drug!

7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm so glad that Melissa found something that made her feel normal during her treatment...but I do think that there could other negative side effects of using marijuana even for medicinal purposes

8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson I can't believe you were arrested ,i don't think it's safe for reporters to be .

June 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I'm glad that Melissa Ethridge has a new lease on life .If her pot smoking has helped her along her painful journey ,good for her.If it can be used to improve the quality of someones life,I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

10. Kay in CA

Anderson, I’ve heard (and known some unsavory people) who purchase medical marijuana cards on the black market & then go purchase pot at the med marijuana stores to get it on the cheap. Have you had anyone look into that aspect of the story?

11. Will R

I have been arrested for possession of marijuana 5 years ago and I'm being turned away from many jobs. I never stole, hurt or killed anyone yet I'm being treated as an ex con. Heck the president smoked marijuana I think I should get the same opportunities as any law abiding citizen. How can someone in my case get any good opportunities in the job market or even to get a grant to attend a 2 year vocational school. Congress should make a law for citizens who had marijuana possession( which was a misdeamoner ) not discriminated in any job or school opportunity

12. B-naz

Iranians that have lived in the US for many years have waited for the next revolution and now we have hope that it may be coming soon. After a bad economy, no jobs, and repression the Iranian people are ready to stand up for themselves, their families, and their country.

13. Andrew Z

The only negative side effects of cannabis is caused by the fact that it is illegal. The war on drugs has failed. Prohibition does not work. The propaganda has failed.

a few years ago when I was in highschool it was easier to get Cannabis then it was to get alcohol. Making it legal and controlled would help take it out of our school and reserve it for adults.

14. Allan H

Anderson Cooper for President 2016!

15. Davida in KSA

I am fascinated and heartened to see Iranian women protesting and on the street. This wouldn't be seen in Iraq, Saudi etc.

16. andersoncnn

i went out of my hotel without a government minder and was talking with people in a park and was arrested for it.. i was held in various police stations for the next three days... everyone was very polite about it, and i was allowed to go to the hotel at night, but they had my passport and everyday i had to report to the police and spend my day in custody. i was a young reporter, and it was very scary at the time because i wasnt with a big news network and had very little support.

17. David, Indiana

That was an incredible panel discussion, expert analysis in seconds.

@Minou, I hope your uncle is safe, too

18. Lakeith

Thanks Mr. Anderson for the marijuana coverage

I’m 19 and have been smoking pot for about three years. I have been accepted into college so I can get my degree in computer engineering. I have been living with and taking care of my 84 yr old grandmother for the past six years. I worked and purchased my first vehicle on my own. I want to be a productive citizen of the United States.

What I’m basically saying is that Marijuana is what you make it. Me personally I believe it should be legalized. Though I feel this will never happen because of the notoriety it has gained from programs like DARE and Above the Influence.

We should turn to education and rehabilitation for those who can’t handle this instead of imprisonment for peaceful people. Just think about this, right now I’m facing jail time and a $200-$300 fine for a $5.00 bag of this stuff.

19. Isabel, Brazil

I read that one of the greatest challenges of the laboratories is to separate the effect of the medicinal of the effect of psychoactive drugs – ie, create a marijuana that doesn't leave the person "crazy."

Is this fact?

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I had a critical, conservative viewpoint of medical marijuana until I was put on marinol (to spur my appetite) in the hospital and then, years later, used marijuana for pain relief, etc. for a cracked rib. I was able to function normally and go on, productively with my life. I didin't use it for very long. I still have some.

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Chau

Have a safe show Anderson!

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. kim-chicago

My thoughts are with the Iranian people. Clearly something big is happening there.

Barack Obama possesses an enormous amount of influence with the world's younger generation...they do hear him.

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Karen (Lincoln NE)

I have the impression that the Supreme Leader is under some pressure here himself. I seriously don't know how Obama can speak any more strongly than he has without giving the leadership in Iran the distraction they need to divert the focus off the election irregularities. Good lord. I don't know how he handles the pressure he already has.

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Maureen T, Canada

I'm glad Melissa had marijuana to assist her with the side effects of chemo from cancer.

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Chris

How is the legalization of marijuana even an issue in this so called free society we live in?
    We invade countries in the middle east, subsidize, provide aid, and pressure our free values all over the world, and yet a plant which has no known deaths, has positive medical properties, and can provide a steady income for the government through taxes is prohibited. We need to have our priorities straight!

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  26. cristy kirssin

One sad thing about the destruction of the students dorms, univeristies in Iran is how they will be able to trust the goverment and live peacibly. When I saw the images from the I Reporters it reminded me of the Pogroms that took place in Europe durring the 1800's. Super sad what is happening there.

June 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Zara

Which is worse Marijauna, tabacco, or alcohol? I say legalize marijauna that would take millions away from the drug cartels, and poerhaps generate new revenue. Look how much money prescritpion drugs like Viargra bring in.

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

I gave THC cookies to my Dad when he had terminal cancer before hospice would give him morphine. He was never in pain and it made him very comfortable.
    People NEED it!

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Zach, Peoria, Az

I would like to know what happened to Arizona having marijuana legalized back in 1996. The percentage was higher than California's vote. The fight against a plant is ridiculous that has been proven to cure so many things.

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Dodie ~ California

Legalize Cannabis and have it controlled the same way as we do Alcohol. Caught driving high, go directly to jail.

Cannabis never worked when I had Chemo. I tried it once and it made my sickness even worse. I had no pain with Chemo. Just terribly sick.

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Why don't they just leaglize marjuanna .It would help for cancer .My aunts suffered from cancer and sadly one of whom passed away she took herbal medecine pills but they didn't do any good .

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Casey

Marijuana should be legalized and regulated just like drugs that are more dangerous (pharmaceuticals, alcohol, tobacco). Thank you for the coverage of Iran and Cannabis.

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Samantha M.

Regarding marijuana...
    My friend's friend was able to get prescribed marijuana for insomnia. ...there are pills for that... so what exactly are the circumstances for getting prescribed marijuana?

Also, the influence of shows like Weeds or 70s Show... Doesn't acceptance of these shows indicate where marijuana acceptance will be headed?

June 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Toby

Yes we NEED to legalize! Yes we cannabis.

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

Like any drug (medicine), the marijuana should be used carefully and parsimony.

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Kyle

Article: America's High.
    Hi Anderson, i do believe that marijuana should be legalize. Why should something that can bring the U.S. profit for the bailout be oppressed? Also, why should we keep it illegal when it make many people happy, and relaxed, and or relieved. I think as carter stood. This is something that will cause less crime and bring more flow to the economy. Legalization is totally reasonable in my views and millions of other peoples views. I think it should simply have a limit on quantity and age. This could be what America needs.

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Afshin

Hi Anderson,

My broothers and sisters in Iran are being attacked, shot and killed, where are international and peace organizations, where are leaders who claim they are following peace.

People in Iran are in the streets without anything to defend, on the other hand, Guards (Sepah, Basij and Military) are with guns everywhere are shooting at us.

Iran is on blood and fire and needs help...

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Dulcie - Denver

Anderson: Yikes, that sounds pretty horrifying! CNN's coverage of Iran has been excellent.

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

Marijuana....gross...most people like the smell, I don't.....

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Troy

Hi Anderson,

Thanks for the coverage on Iran.

This was clearly a fraud. you don't get to the streets killing people when you have 24 million vote in a 70M population, you start celebrating...

June 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Maureen T, Canada

Yes, marijuana should be legalized.

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Joe- CT

Marijuana should be legal for everyone!

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Bridget

Anderson would you ever go back?

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Rebekah

@Anderson – as incredible as it is when i realize that what i'm seeing on TV can be one of those "moments" in History... i've gotta say i'm quite jealous of people like you and Christiane, reporting on it as it happens.
    what were you arrested for?? were they specific about it?

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Negin

my moms side of the family are all in shiraz. We talked to them today and she said that some of the guards are not iranian. The word is that they are palestinian.

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Michael in VA

Medical Decisions shoulld be made between a DOCTOR and a PATIENT....

Government has no place determining my coarse of treatment...

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Andrew Z

America is finally waking up to the fact that Cannabis is harmless compared to legal things such as alcohol, cigs, or even fast food.

The anti legalization groups don't have a leg to stand on. Every point they have made has been debunked over the years. Cannabis is the wonder plant and can be used for food, meds, clothing, and recreation.

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Anthonia-Califonia

@Rose-coming from a non smoker, mary janes are also used as stress relievers..

June 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Martin

Marijuana does have medical value and it should be legal for anyone in need to partake.

June 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The poeple of Iran really wanted this Moussavi to be president it's was fixed i'm sure .

June 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |