June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LorenaR

@Anthonia in California – i feel the same. is it confirmed that it is a reporter? i feel as though i am watching history in the making. once again CNN brings us terrifying drama, and it is real, and happening now.

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. cristy kirssin

So disturbing what is happening in Iran. I wonder if they will be able to allow an investigation into the election results.

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. lynn Ohio

I worse some green today as a sign of solidarity, I think others around the world should do the same thing. The Iranian people are in my thoughts and prayers.

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Minou I pray for your Uncle i hope he is safe .

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I got to hear, meet, and speak to Reza Alsan just yesterday in Pasadena. He did a great job a putting many of the mid-east puzzle pieces together for me, especially as they relate to what's going on in Iran right now.

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Karl Airdy

Change comes by different maens. I support this move by the people of Iran 100%, they want a different lifestyle, they want freedom, they want a normal existence.

Continue to bring news from Iran in your usual efficent way. Keep up the good work.

June 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Liz toledo

I heard a lot of journalists in Iran did not have their visas renewed by the government and were not allowed to stay, how was Christiane still able to report from Tehran?

June 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

#CNNfail on twitter? I think not. Christiane's reports really do cover the aspects of how dangerous reporting from Iran is and how it is so hard to get decent reporting.

June 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Jean, Maryland

Hi Anderson.. Thank you for the coverage of the Iranian election. As an Iranian-American, I am so very proud to see that the people of Iran are finally standing up for their rights.. standing up for freedom and are not showing signs of fear. The Islamic regime has for 30 years oppressed its people and has ruled with an iron fist. I hope that we see some actual results and that the blood shed and fighting has not happened in vein..

June 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. nanaz

God bless the brave Iranians who are sacrificing their lives for basic human rights. Iran has had enough of murdering clerics.

June 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I hope Christaine stays safe it's caos in the streets behind her with the protests growing in large nimbers ,The graphic nature was really disturbing and sad .

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. faye

Mr. Anderson,

I hope Iranian young generation wins the war against the dictatorship of Iran, and get a chance to live freely, as we all do in the United States.

I wish Iranians good luck, and hope for freedom of Iran, from Mullas, especially Khamenei.

Thanks,

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Sourena Parham

How can I join the chet?

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Souli

I think Obama is being smart by choosing his words carefully when it comes to the Iranian protests. Let's face it, this isn't really a regime change, because the supreme leader isn't the one up for election! All we can do is sit back and watch this play out, because the Iranian people are the only ones in charge of their destiny.

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I fear that anytime a protest begins peacefully it will inevitably turn a corner and get out of control...

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. James

Good evening Anderson. I think the question is, should sick and dying people be denied a potential treatment just because it "could" be abused by others?

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Katie

This is just getting insane. It's sad to see so many innocent people being killed or hurt over something like this. I also think it's time that the Iranian people stand up against the radicals. Everything is so about religion, all the time – if you wanna have a country with fair elections and just fairness in general, where no one gets hurt, they need to care more about their citizens! They want people to follow them but they don't even want to take care of them! They can't very well follow if they're dead!

June 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Hugo M. Gonzalez

Thank you for the great coverage. There are always two sides to every story. I also want to hear what government supporters have to say regarding the dispute.

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson Cooper

The reelection of the president is to sustention the ideals. All seek for signs of a change of attitude in Tehran, whose relations with Washington got worse with Ahmadinejad. How will this relationship now?

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. sima

look how the Iranian government treats our people, regular people who do not have guns or anything to defend themselves shame on this government

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Trenity in SC

Greeting Anderson and others.

I'm interested in seeing the marijuana debate.

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I'm not sure I think it is such a great idea for Obama to make any public comments about Iran right now. I think he is shooting himself in the foot. No matter what he says, there will be strong contrary opinions from some Iranians.

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Happy Monday Anderson Erica fellow bloggers

The Violence in Iran is terrifying and scary .What happened to demcoracy ? The voting needs to be looked at .

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Darius

Hello Anderson,

Thank you for covering Iran. Thank goodness after a long 3 days, Pres. Obama finally addressed the grave abuses in Iran.
    For 30 years Iranians have been humiliated by the present regime, there was a fantastic opportunity 6 years ago when Bush instead of going to Iraq (a perfectly secular country, though with some excesses), should have gone to Iran and he would have been received as a liberator and actually would have had his victory.
    Of course the election was rigged. 4 years ago, with only 52% voting it took over 24 hours to get the results, this time, the results were announced after only 2 hours! Tabriz, Moussavi's home base came out for the detested Ahmadinejad? Even if he had given $20 to each of its 1 million inhabitants he couldn't have won there. Please keep your coverage.

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Dan St. Peters MO

Having witnessed a few real historical moments unfold on television, the events in Iran today make me wonder if this is another of those world changing events. What do you think from your perspective? Do you think this is going to develope into a government changing moment?

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Behnaz

Anderson thank you so much for the detailed up to date coverage of iran, I can't believe you were able to get someone from iran on the phone, our friends in Iran have not been able to access Facebook, please try to keep communication open as you have please to have their voices heard... after 30 years of oppression, they just ask to have their voices heard and their efforts shown...

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson. I pray the unrest in Iran does not escalate toward further injury and death. I thank Christiane for her reports and hope she stays safe.

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Aryana

James, yes Ahmadinejad gave the order to kill the kids. I am Iranian and I know how it is there. It's scary, people over there need our support. please please keep talking about Iran.

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Farid

Either people is going to give up in Iran or the truth commitee throw a re-election. the number of people actually protest hard core is not in millions, I think in 10 thousands range because of fear so I highly can imagine things get really serious in Tehran, we will know in a week

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  30. andrew z

We must remember that with this happening in Iran that there are two sides to every story. I

I must admit that I am surprised at the restraint shown by the Iranian police. If somthing like this were to happen in the states I don't doubt that there would be teargas and batons by days end.

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  31. Pirooz

Hi all,

Let's support the Iranian youth who are currently fighting for their survival and future. They deserve freedom, hope, and the world deserves a peaceful Iran.

Please keep CNN reporters safe in Iran.

P

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Mehran

I just hope that the CNN will continue to cover the protests and let the world know what is happening in Iran on a daily basis. Please continue the coverage, the people of Iran need your support !

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  33. Nina

Mr. Cooper:
    thank you for your coverage. Ummm.... you can't imagine how frustrating it is to watch Larry King interview Hyde and Spencer when I am reading Tweets from people making hisotry. Iranians have waited for this.
    Change is never a bad process. They are finally standing!

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  34. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson

June 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Eric

Hello Anderson good evening. Its looks quite possible at the moment that there is a new revolution in Iran. There are alot of people are taking to the streets against the radical goverment.

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The loser is Iran doesn't have a stellar record either. He is a hard core fundamentalist as well.

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    medical marijuana has been around for many years and eases the pain with many ailments.

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Winston, 30, NYC

Iran. It is the PERFECT story for New Media. I know the message sounds like a broken record by now, but Twitter and YouTube are really the best way to monitor coverage coming out of Iran right now

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Marcus, the Netherlands

It's good to see Christiane Amanpour report live from Iran.

But I'm curious to know, does she find any obstacles from the authorities to perform her work freely? I'm asking this, because earlier today in the Netherlands, we had at least one Dutch TV journalist who was arrested and thrown out of Iran yesterday.

But you're CNN of course, so I reckon the authorities will think twice before escorting your senior correspondent out of the country...

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Romar Drake

I applaude the Iranian people for standing up for their rights and fighting injustice. I don't want to take the focus off of the tradegies taking place now in Iran; however, I'm an American first. Why can't we, Americans, be more like this? We need to take to the streets and let our government know that we will not stand for this anymore!

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Naz

The Iranian people have shown so much courage and integrity in the last few days. I have never been prouder of being Iranian.

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Isabel, Brazil

@ Minou, New York City

I hope you have good news of his uncle and the situation improves in Tehran

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

All I can say is that I am glad I live in this country. I know we have issues to deal with in this country but seeing what is going on in Iran is scary. Hopefully it can come to a peaceful resolution soon.

June 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. JD Roswell, GA

In Iran, they protest and riot over the legitimacy of their elections. In America, we riot and attack police officers when our favorite teams win a championship. We also see tons of people up in arms over what they call "unfair" results from American Idol. Isn't it a tad ironic that the country we have come to fear actually has an energized and intellectual youth populous that is this passionate and socially aware about what is going on in their country and puts my most of my fellow peers in college to absolute shame. We could all take a lesson from what is going on in Iran

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Megan: thank you !

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Bryce

I imagine most people in Iran are against be censored and want more freedom. If that is true, than how is it possible that they would vote for someone who will continue to restrict their freedom and censor them continuously. Clearly the people of Iran want things changed, and Ahmadinejad is clearly not going to change much. The vote count just doesn't add up.

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  47. starr formerly known as vincent

We are so proud of Christian A.'s reporting through out the weekend and tonight.

We were expecially respectful of her tenacity when she asked Pres. A...(can't spell his name) Twice about his opponents safety!!

She is great!

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Aryana

Anderson, I'm Iranian American and I am getting scary news from Iran. My sister is in Iran and she wintessed stuff on Saturday but she is scared to tell me anything on the phone. The government check phones and they can get in trouble. Please keep reporting from Iran.

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. nilou

finally cnn is covering iran with expert speakers and pictures which require no analysis. the world should see what is happening to the people of Iran. They need international support! Please keep reporting!

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

I cant stand how the Iranian government announced the election results two-three hours after polls closed, if something was rigged you would think they would think this aspect through.

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |