June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dee F

those kids singing is such a wonderful experience thanks for showing it!

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Carole

A bi-polar disorder creates suicidal tendencies without Marijuana. Aldol, Valium and all others pharmaceutical psycho-tropic drugs given to maniac psycho depressives individuals, prompt to suicide in a few weeks. Three of our Presidents cultivated it, and most of the millions that are using it in the USA, are folks next door. Speculations more powerful than facts?

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Lori from IL

David Letterman is a comedian - in my opinion he appoligized last week - Sarah Palin needs to "get over it" - hopefully Letterman's appology tonight is the end of this - Palin certainly has "played it for all it was worth" - in my opinion, made a mountain out of a mole hill.

June 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Samantha M.

OH! I saw the video of PS 22 Choir. They are amazing!!! such special kids!

June 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Maureen T, Canada

That trooper should be ashamed of himself! Of course he did something wrong!

June 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Rebekah

@Alycia – yeah, i'm not proud of my friends, but i know that a few of them have smoked pot and then driven home from like a party or something and none of them have had ANY problems... people are just afraid of pot because they don't know much about it.

June 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I accept David Letterman's apology!!!!!! he is great job to tell the whole audience.

June 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Obviously some state troopers have big egos which keep them from using sound judgement, further preventing them from carrying out the duties of their jobs, effectively.

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Good night everyone in the 360 kingdom! Sleep high, um, that would be tight, sleep tight!
    I love you guys!
    XO's and Tail Wags~

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Connie

Why are we comparing physical pain and a psychological disorder? Marijuana would obviously have different affects on both situations.

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Pulled over an ambulance? Aren't they all supposed to be working together? Crazy!

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Maureen T, Canada

David Letterman didn't need to apologize to Sarah Palin.

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Sharon

This event happened in our state and it has been on the local news. The patrolman claims he was provoked by an inappropriate gesture from the driver, but from the film, he certainly lost his cool. Our law enforcement officers should not become that upset. Certainly the person in the ambulance was the real victim here.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Yuki - FL

Interesting story on the legalization of marijuana, however, I'm not convinced that the testimony of the second woman was a credible argument against legalization. It was established later that she was pro-legalization, but I find her belief that pot served as a catalyst for her already present suicidal tendencies is rather misleading. Her case seems to be very unusual and not representative at all of a standard marijuana user. I am surprised (or maybe not) that CNN was unable to locate a spokesman with a more straight forward stance against legalization. For a non informed viewer, they may take away the idea that a side effect of marijuana is attempted suicide. The woman in the story could have just as easily claimed that increasing her celery diet increased suicidal thoughts.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. mitra

What is happening in Iran is not a free and democratic election. This is the end of a ridiculous selection process where a great nation is forced to choose the lesser of the two evils both blessed and approved by the supreme leader of a government which has tried to create a legitimacy for itself by attaching a religion to its name. A coexistance second to none. Let's not forget Mr. mossavi has been a full participant of this regime for the past thirthy years and many Iranians were killed and tortured when he held high positions in previous socalled revolutionary governments. In this heat of passion for democracy Iranians may win the battle by questioning the aacuracy of the election but will loose the war which is disclaiming a corrupt regime in its totality and the chance for a free referendum which has been the goal of freedom loving Iranians in and out of Iran.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Brendan Mc

Marijuana is not a drug it is a natural plant, like Melissa said, its better than taking pills which are drugs by the way. that cause more side effects than you started out with. Marijuana may not have medicinal properties but it helps cancer patients, and people with other disorders. Why should we have pills legalized and passed around when people may accidentally overdose on that pill, when there has never, been a reported case of marijuana overdose. And Lisa, why when she used marijuana for private use she never went insane and tried to kill herself then? I personally think she is only making a fool out of her self. No wonder she doesn't want her face shown on camera.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Isabel, Brazil

It is ... when the error is public, the apology should also be!

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Corey

Dorothy because that comment has no relevance. Marijuana does not have to be smoked to be ingested.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Jon Mohon

We have already seen substantial evidence that cannabis has a positive affect on the people it is intended it for. Once again its use lies on the individuals use and abuse. Regulation is the key.

June 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Paul M

No one fights when they're high or crashes cars and kills people when they're high.

Alcohol has no real positive effect on the body and is behind 70% of traffic deaths in the US.
    If you're kid is too stupid to figure that out, then he deserves whatever happens.

Try being a parent, because the world isn't a fairyland like you're teaching.

June 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. michael armstrong sr.

ive been smoking pot since i was 13 years old im 49 now other drugs are a choice that people choose when smoking erbs dont get them high enough my choice was to stick only to pot this drug will continue to get you high enough if you dont abuse it without turning to other drugs .

22. arezu niku

My thoughts with the Iranian people. Thank for your report and showing us the pictures. something is happening . our friends are missing we do not know where they are or what happend to them. please keep us inform and let know what is happening there.
    people are missing we need help.

23. Kathy, Chicago

I like David Letterman, but I found his remarks about the Palin girls crude and tasteless. I'm glad he apologized.

24. David Pete Garcia II

The story of "Lisa" sounded more like a case for legalization and regulation than against. I also have bipolar disorder and have used marijuana to help with anxiety and depression. However, I use it in conjunction with a mood stabilizer. When I can not get marijuana, I have to resort to seroquel which leaves me twitchy, hungry, and "zombied" or emotionally unresponsive. Effective bipolar disorder treatment has to be centered around a mood stabilizer but when this is present, marijuana can be added on. If medical marijuana was legal in my state, I would have a controlled supply. Instead, I use it intermittently. Also, any drug used continuously like "Lisa" used it would over run and destroy someone's life.

25. Michael

I think there are a lot of myths about marijuana, most of these put out by certain entities in the government to scare away the public from it's use by our nations youth. (ie that it's a gateway drug, that it's addictive, etc)

Perhaps they think that people who smoke marijuana can't be productive members of society. I am a college graduate (the first in my familly) and work in a specialized highly technical field. I maintain a professional attitude at work and a healthy relationship with my wife and friends.

In college, marijuana helped me to focus on my studies and relieved the stress of working and going to school at the end of a long day. I agree with Melissa Etheridge on her statement, "Who are we to judge someones need?" If it helps you to relax, just as a glass of wine would, what's the problem? Furthermore, if I were a parent, would I say it's ok for my kids to smoke pot? The answer is no, just as I wouldn't allow them to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. As adults we have the ability to make our own choices.

26. Dwayne

This is a terrible way to hurt infants. We have mothers smoking pot and children are born everyday with major health problems and this shoulf not be the case . I am against the legallizing of pot. When need to have responsible people not idiots smoking and harming our youth.

27. Jason

I am a person who suffers from chronic pain and tthe only thing that has helped is marijuana. The only problem is that I live in a state where that makes me a criminal. I don't understand how this predudice, unjust law even still exists. It is time for us to be heard and the prohibition revoked and legalize it for both medicinal and recreational use! It is a harmless plant and has studies to back that up! Alcohol and tobacco make marijuana look like a multi-vitamin. In his campaign Obama said that this needed to happen, yet this is another issue that he seems to have reversed his stance. I bug whitehouse.gov about this fact almost every day and encourage everyone else to do the same thing! Once again, this is a harmless plant that we have been lied to about since the mid to late 1930s. Enough is enough! Legalize it now!!!

28. maryann

I feel marijuana should be legalized for medicial purposes. If it makes someone deal with their pain, whether it be physically or emotionally, then why not? As far as on a recreationl basis, they shoul dlegalize it as well. It is far safer than drinking.. There are deaths everyday caused by drinking whether it is a car crash or health issues from alcohol, There are no proven deaths caused by marijuana as statistics show that I am aware of. Not to mention how it would help our economy..

29. Chris

How is pot itself the problem with regards to lisa the bi-polar guest when a doctor prescribed it? Thats like saying "we should make cars illegal because a blind man was given a license and killed a couple people"...

30. Kathy, Andover

Any competent physician knows not to prescribe pot to a bipolar patient. As for legalization of pot, there could be contradictions, warnings, etc on the container/pack of pot, like other drugs/cigarettes.

31. Monica M. Williams

I totally agree and identify with Melissa E’s story. Do you know someone who’s undergone strenuous cancer treatments? I lost a love one last year to it. It’s no walk in the park seeing them suffer.
    I feel treatment options should be available to the public. Like all medications, if it works – great. If it doesn’t – try something else.

It’s about time David Letterman man up and issued a decent apology to Sarah Palin. Jokes about her – funny. The kids – out of line.

32. K. R.

ALL drugs have side effects, both good and bad. ALL drugs affect different people in different ways. How can any of us know the side effects of marijuana as long as remains a 'schedule 1' narcotic and is therefore barred from research?

33. G. Ryin

I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Medical marijuana is much better suited for physical symptoms rather than mental ones, as was clearly illustrated in your report.

I blew out my knee last year... and as helpful as any painkillers were, i couldn't imagine not having "medical" marijuana to deal with the pain. It also helped with the anger of being uninsured in the Bush era.

34. Jennifer

If the govt would step in and legalize,regulate and tax marajuana, it would help the economy so much. Alcohol is much more destructive and somehow that has been able to remain legal. No matter what, there will always be addicts, and very honestly, it doesn't matter to them if the govt legalizes it or not. It's responsible people that would like the freedom of having access to the benefits of marajuana, legally.

35. Cassidy

Compare the statistics between alcohol related deaths and marijuana related ones and its easy to see how irrational opponents of marijuana are...

36. Brady

America's prohibition on pot has taken much needed resources away from the fight against more dangerous drugs that are tearing apart families and ruining peoples lives. Our nation should legalize marijuana and use the subsequent tax revenues to strengthen the fight against Meth, Heroin, and Cocaine. That way, pot-smokers will not be funding terrorism every time they buy marijuana (as the Bush Administration claimed), they will be fighting terrorism.

37. Mike

Maybe we could save on healthcare with taxation of marijuana and people could use the substance for medical, as well as recreational. Headache, smoke some weed. Backache, smoke some weed. Stressful day at the office, save the six pack for football season, smoke some weed.

38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

President Obama continues to amaze me! I love the way that he can throw in a bit of comic relief with a serious topic. I really hope that he is able to do something about our health care system.

39. Rob

Pot should be legal for many reason's! It is completely safe. You cannot overdose on it because the active ingredient in marijuana (THC) is not deadly. Because of marijuana Iv stopped drinking. I used to drink very frequently, more frequently then i smoke pot. It's time for change! The year's of the lies of prohibition must end! It became illegal due to racism and propaganda. Watch "Reefer Madness" and tell me that is not propaganda.

40. Rozi

If you can buy different kinds of tylenol and other medicines, shouldn't you be able to choose btween different kinds of another herbal medicine that often has fewer side affects? I use marijuana for my PTSD and ADHD, and it works great, much better than the chemicals i had to take as a child for these problems! Legalize it!
    Peace-tx

41. John Nikson

people like lisa are the same type of people who are addicted to pain killers. She used marijuana before she got a perscription for it. She got the perscription to get high. not to help her self

42. Tim

The teacher is bi-polar, first of all...no offense to anyone who has this, but I've met someone who thought they were god while they were having a manic episode. The teacher likes lithium better than cannabis; is anyone surprised?...cannabis should be legal because we should not put them in prison for it, and we can't afford to contribute this much of our dollars to the black, untaxed market...agreed??

43. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@Zack, I would have to agree about marijuana vs. alcohol. There's no logic behind one being "legal" and the other not. I wonder how much tax is collected on alcohol sales?

44. Del

I am HIV+ since 1997, I use marijuana regularly to help ease the nausea associated with the cocktail of medication I take. It also help increase my appetite, and prevents wasting. I've smoked almost ever day, a few puffs as needed. I rarely ever get 'stoned'. I am a graphic designer by trade, and I do notice that I become much more creative in my thinking while under the influence. It seems insane to me that our government spends BILLIONS of dollars every year combating illegal marijuana, when it could be turned into a desperately needed source of revenue, while helping sick people who need it.

45. Derek

If enjoyed/used in moderation and with a sound mind Marijuana is not dangerous.

46. Jen

my mother went through 1 year for chemo and radiation. we used to make her pot cookies & brownies to get her eating and get her out of bed.
    cannabis is not addictive unlike tobacco & alcohol. Medicinal use should be legalized in all states for anyone who needs it. its all natural compared to all these pills that we take with a million side effects.
    when i lived in california i had a prescription for migraines and insomnia and it worked better than prescription meds.
    instead of using police time for busting people with marijuana lets focus on all of the bad drugs coming into our country every day.

47. sean

...3rd stage melanoma cancer survior!!!! im 36...and in 2005 was suffering from the treatments from cancer....pot saved my body from feeling every painful side effects it caused!!! legalize pot!!!!!

June 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Matt

i think you should legalize all drugs for the simple fact that all the violence from drugs wars between drug cartels to inner city gangs would be eliminated. Also, for financial reasons, imagine how much money the government could make if they supplied all drugs to the drug addicts.

June 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. joyce

Hi Anderson,
    To keep it short, My brother started smoking pot at 18 years old, he was a football star in junior college and president of his fraternity his last year in high school loved by all, he came to me to tell me he was smoking pot, and that he could handle it. I tryed to explain that it could lead to other forms of drugs he said once again "I can handle it"
    my brother became a hard drug addict with a $150.00 a day heroin habit, he was in and out of jail on probation many times and in drug rehab more times than i can count . Nothing could help my poor addicted brother, he lived in his car and in the streets and on skid row. Our hearts were broken and we still feel the pain. Bobby is dead now he died in Israel with his three dogs by his side, we don't know how he died, we only know he died alone and no one will tell us anything regarding his death. no one should ever have to feel the pain of your child your brother your sister your loved one with a drug habit. I hope your viewers will pay close attention to what i'am writing to you
    Sincerely, Joyce.

June 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. steve

The woman you chose as the bad example ...really was a bad example, she ends up taking Lithium daily instead of marijuana. Was this the only bad example person you could find? It just dis-credits your journalistic integrity and report

June 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |