June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jessica

You have only been on for 11 mins and already, yours is the best coverage of the Iranian protests I have seen in the msm all weekend. Thank You!

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

VanessaTX!!
    I agree with you!!! I hope our reporters are safe or take cover fast and keep out of way their harm.

June 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  3. mahmoud

Dear Mr. Cooper and other colleagues at CNN,

Thank you very much for the amazing and extensive coverage of the new revolution in Iran.

Please ask the great Ms. Christian Amanpour stay there.

Sincerely,

mahmoud

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I read many tweets from Iran over the weekend.I was also happy to hear that twitter will schedule their shutdown for another time. The power of the social network site has brought the real time ordeal of a nation in turmoil to those of us who wanted to see it..Kudos to twitter...

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Here in California this mary-jean or pot is use only for medical reasons.

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Michael in VA

“I think the basic concept that using Medical Marijuana in the same way, with the same controls, as other drugs prescribed by doctors… I think that’s entirely appropriate.”

Barack Obama

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Nader

The international community should put pressure on the Iranian government to make sure that they will not continue shooting peaceful protesters. Bullets in response to words? Is that the freedom that Ahmadinejad was talking about?

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not surprised to see these protests. Many of the Iranian people have been in opposition to this government for a long time. .

Maybe it is time for Obama to go over and have that little "no conditions" talk with Ahmadinejad.

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Sarah Rafique

Great reporting Mrs. Amanpour, you're one of my role models. I couldn't even imagine what it's like to be amidst the streets of Tehran.

I wonder what effects, if any, the riots will have on Ahmadinejad and it "majority supporters."

Texas

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Zach, Peoria, Az

Time for the great debate over legalizing pot...

June 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Shadi

Anderson:
    The people in Iran are pleading for they voice to be heard. A group of fb friends are trying their best to upload as many videos as we get on mobiles and other devices. However we still need to show what is going on when the international media is turnd off. Please help.

June 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I hope you had a great weekend.
    It's unfortunate that the election in Iran has caused more turmoil than celebration. It's more up to Iran as a country to work through it, though–it probably won't affect the United States' relationship much with the re-election as it stands.
    –I'm looking forward to your marijuana reports this week.

June 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Kathy, Chicago

I don't think that I am surprised by the upheaval. I didn't really expect a new government in Iran.

June 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Michael in VA

Marijuana = ZERO deaths due to overdose in 5000 years of recorded history…….

Asprin/Tylenol = 1200 deaths due to overdose EVERY Year

Which one should you be more worried about???

June 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

@ Isabel
    I don't know.. I haven't talked to him yet. Will try to get his number from my mother and call him.

Starr, Lauren : thank you so much!!

June 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  16. James

Is Ahmedinajad giving the orders to the police to kill his own people.

June 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Minou, New York City,
    I hope your uncle will be safe at home...... my heart goes to you and your family in Iran.

June 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Anthonia-Califonia

I literally cringed when i saw the photo of the dead reporter on the ground...That shot of the reporter describes how the whole protest is, just gruesome.

June 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  19. VanessaTx

Yikes! so this was a reporter that died?? I hope everyone from CNN reporters in the Middle East stay safe.

June 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. I think the hotly contested Iranian election is, as long as it's peaceful, a positive development. The violence should worry anyone.

June 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Patrick, Rockville, MD

Even "supreme leaders" should not be allowed to rule by coercion. Kudos to the Iranians for fighting for their own freedom. It does not come cheap.

June 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson

It is a fact that the votes were counted manually in two hours? The defeated candidate talks about fraud. In such circumstances, who don't speak on fraud?

June 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

twitter was filled with many different ways for Iranians to hack into proxy servers, at least the public is trying to do their part in helping them........

June 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson and Fellow Bloggers –

Looking forward to tonight’s show and getting caught up on what’s been happening the last few days.

June 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. James

Is there an chance that the revolt will result in an overturn of the election? There is no excuse for what the iranian police are doing to innocent yet angry civilians.

June 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so distrubing to see picture who killed by other people!!! I felt shock it was so awful image!

June 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. James, Aurora CO

I've heard reports of at least 100 students missing from Tehran University; is it possible for CNN to look into this?

June 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

@ Minou, New York City

What are the impressions of your uncle in the election process and the possibility of fraud?

June 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Lauren--NY

My best wishes for your uncle, Minou. I also hope he's safe.

Welcome home, Anderson. Always good to know you had safe travel and nice to have you back.

June 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. starr formerly known as vincent

Minou, NYC

If you get your uncle (i pray he is well), please let us know what he is seeing and feeling about what is going on in Tehran. thanks

June 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. Hope you had a great weekend. Looking forward to your interview with Melissa Etheridge!

June 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Edurrado(Ed Henry) David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    Welcome back Anderson!!!
    My heart goes to Iran's people who are supports for Mir Hussein Mousavi, are protesting or rally and violence on the street, is really terrible to hear!

June 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Anthonia-Califonia

Heey Y'all 🙂

Wow, thats some protest going on in the Middle East..

June 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

terrible how the current regime is making it hard for reporters to report what is going on...

makes the events in Iran more terrifying.

June 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

It is sad to see a 'democracia' or what a democracy should be torn apart.

The protest of the people were repressed by militiamen who fired on demonstrators. These manifests represent the views of the general population or only a part of it?

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, and all my fellow bloggers! Hope everyone had a great weekend and a bearable Monday!

Somehow the protests in Iran don't surprise me.

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Cynthia, NC

Good evening all. I was hoping the protests in Iran could remain peaceful, but I'm very concerned now that those protests have turned deadly.

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. VanessaTx

Hiya Anderson, Erica..my smartees..good evening to all!

Hope this violence stops..hope issue gets resolved.

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Good evening bloggers. I am worried that military forces will use the unrest as a leveraging point to assert an incerased level of permanent control.

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, that is not way to live.

June 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Minou, New York City

mu uncle is in Tehran...i should get his number and call him. hope he's safe!

June 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Bob, D'Iberville MS

Good evening Mr Cooper, everyone.

June 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson and entire 360 team (Erica also).
    Hellow fellow bloggers.

Looks like a WOW kind of news night!

June 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Maureen Olsen from Apple Valley California

hi Everyone! Hi Anderson. Hope all is well with everyone. I wasn't surprise that Ahmadinejad was re elected.I think they would re elect him until he is dead or too old to care about getting re elected because he will do anything to keep control over the country. It's so sad that they can not have a fare election. Atleast it wasn't a landslide. He had to make it seem realistic, I guess.

June 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Daniel Nelson Lafayette,IN

I think it is about time that the Iranian people begin to take a stand against the Islamic radicals who rule the country. I also think that the Iranian government should be worried about the people instead of thinking that they are the most powerful nation because of their religious beliefs.God will hold them accountable for their funding of terrorists and causing unrest in the world! They should be more worried of what God might do to them because of the way they rule and their support of terrorism around the world!

June 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Anderson hope you're evening is good...

Iran's government have alot of problems to deal with their people, mostly women. Iran's people really want change and will they die to get it?

June 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Welcome back Anderson!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!

My heart goes to Iran's people who supports Mir Hussein Moussavi who was robbered by Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. That's so sad for people are protesting on the street!

June 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello, Everyone!

June 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

Thunderstorms are rumblin' here! 😀

Hope your Flag Day/Week is going swell bloggers!

June 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

Good evening Anderson!
    Hello friends, David (Indiana), bloggers, 360 team, everyone …

Another Monday ... let's go!
    Sounds stranger to many, but I love Mondays!

June 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |