June 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/15/09

Tonight on 360°, election rage in Iran. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Tehran today to protest the country's presidential election. It was the largest anti-government demonstration since the 1979 revolution, and it turned bloody.

There are reports at least one person in the march was killed by milita members loyal to current Pres. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The demonstrators are supporters of Mir Hussein Moussavi, and believe he was robbed of the presidential palace. Official results of Friday's election show Ahmadinejad won with more than 62 percent of the vote. But was it a legit vote? And, what does this all mean for U.S. relations with Iran? We'll have all the angles.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel, Brazil

@Anderson

Today you blogging with us! It's great!
    Please make more! Your stories are always great!Thanks!
    Good night! Good rest!

June 15, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. michael

Medical marijuana is very helpful for many people with cancer and other problems. ANYONE with mental health problems, especially someone that is bi-polar should never do any kind of drugs, alcohol, etc. The reason she had so many problems were because of her mental illness.

June 15, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    I love teachers like that! God Bless him! Thank god for teachers like that!!...Your age is showing! 🙂 Love the banter between you Andy and Erica! With the news being so heavy duty a smile or two is the greatest way to end the show! Thanks!

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good night, everyone! "It's the eye of the tiger!"

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. david kcmo

i think pot should be legal,tax it help pay the national debt off i have smoked it for 37 years i do not have any problems with it i go weeks with out it

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson!
    Today you blogging with us! It's great! Please make more! Thanks!
    Good rest!

Good night, friends, David (Indiana), bloggers, everyone!

A great week for everyone! See you tomorrow!!

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Dustin

Anderson, regardless of one's opinion I think the images of the dispensary show without a doubt the extent of this industry and pinpoints how futile the war against marijuana is.

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Sandra Robertson, GA

Beautiful song "Eye of the Tiger." Beautiful children singers!

Good night all.

June 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Isabel, Brazil

Erica, you're excited, huh!
    My husband loved you dancing ... lol ...

10. Clyde Broadwater

We should not be overly concerned in legalizing marijuana from the medical point of veiw because it would be distorted....legalizing marijuana would save the comsumer hundreds of dollars in doctor and hospital visits....it would relieve the tension and anxieties, aches and pains and the normal wear and tear on the human body. .... it would relieve the federal government of spending 48 billion dollars in law enforcement to keep it contained in our society....the billions of dollars that it would generate in tax revenue should only be used in five different areas....those being health care, education, defense of our local domestic and foreign borders....the last being for roads bridges and communications in our country...they had to legalize acohol to control it...why not marjuana???????

11. Faramarz Laleh

The 1979 revollution was fired up and rubbed by Khomeni. The 2009 revolution is envitble. Mr. Obama needs to lead united nations to intervine to assure solid support for democracy in Iran. Peace in middle east is achievable once Iran and Israel shake each other hands.

12. LisaL - Canada

the shot is GREAT! great talent, great music. LOVE that song. has a few memories attached to it...

June 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Goodnight everyone.Peace to all of you and yours.

14. joe

(= in the end it is always up to the person to use or not =)

15. Trent

How can marijuana be a schedule 1 drug, schedule 1 means highly addictive and has no medical purpose? We know that marijuana has medical benefits, from testimonials and recent studies done with synthesized marijuana. We fine the sick thousands of dollars or in prison them for their medicine without reason, disgraceful.

16. terry

As a masters prepared nurse, I see the beneficial effects of medicinal marijuana, at least on a personal note. My daughter suffered a year from side effects of toxic mold vomiting 20 hrs daily, pot was the only thing that provided her relief, traditional medications were useless. My husband has suffered several strokes, pot actually allows him to regain more of his natural personality and improves his cognitive ability. A friend has restless leg syndrome, pot gives him relief where traditional medicine made him gain weight, gave him a flushed appearance, he also developed hypertension. I live in a state that does not allow medicinal marijuana, the legal ramifications are significant...its ridiclous...its time for the medical community to step up Legalization is long overdue.

17. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Those singing kids are cool. Jared is great. You can tell it was the early 80s by how tight the pants are in the video... 🙂

18. keith ferguson

In 2004 there were 20,000 prescription deaths in America. How many cannabis deaths?

19. Jen R

It's private medical insurers who impose rules and control their customers. They also refuse coverage wherever they can the smallest excuse. Government medical does not. I'm Canadian and I can go to any doctor I want and if I need a procedure I know I will be able to have it without worrying about refusal and resulting bankruptcy or death.

20. Lisa

The most dangerous drug today is legal. Cigarettes kill people everday and it is perfectly legal. Pot has never killed anyone. Talk about your priorites eh? Wake up people.....

21. Isabel, Brazil

more homesick! The music of the film Rock!

22. Rocky ,Ohio

On the Marijuana issue, I have smoked it for 37 years on a semi-daily basis. I am healthy and a danger to no one . Get over it it's been around over 100 years DUH!

23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, Edurrado (Ed Henry) and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with the kids to sing in the world!!! I love kids sing, That's great shot!!!!!!! Cool kids!

Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

24. billy

hi,i'm a 71 yr.old man that came down with breast cance when i was 49 yr's old. i've been smoking pot since i was 16. i had a year of chemo and 35 radiation treatments . it was the pot that got me through it all.

25. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson, Erica & entire 360 team for an EXCELLENT show this evening. We appreciate that you cover so many topics.

Good night fellow bloggers, facinating comments and many Iranians commenting as well.

And thank you for always leaving us with a smile on our faces at the end of the night.

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  26. Rebekah

the Shot tonite was SO cute – those kids are great!

goodnite Anderson and Erica. see everyone back here tomorrow – same time, same place =]

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  27. corey

I think prescription pills are horrible drugs they have addictive qualities and bad side effects. Even a placebo is more dangerous than marijuana...if the persons a diabetic..think about it..

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  28. mark

i think that is very good to take than any thing in this world, i'm very happy to hear some people talking about it in cnn AC 360 is my show and i Love you the guy. I know that God have give this for good believe me if is not good God will not give us.. Is more good than any thing to take..

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  29. Lori from IL

About that time everyone -

Good show tonight, Anderson - glad your back in NY - liked the mix of topics covered.

Enjoyed "chatting" tonight, Fellow Bloggers -

Until tomorrow night ... peace ...

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  30. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

Eye of the tiger was my unofficial school song.

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  31. Matthew

trooper vs. ambo

that trooper was way out of line... just another reason to hate the cops. If I was the patient in the ambo, I would've sued the police department for risking my life.

Also, when the other guy was sticking up for the driver, he was 100% calm and polite, and trooper went off on him too. WAY out of line

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Isabel, Brazil

these children are simply amazing!

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  33. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Awww, cute shot!

June 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  34. Jen

If we are capitalists at heart, what is the hold up in legalizing pot? Alcohol is the original "gateway" and can be argued as a danger to the nation. Could you fathom the loss of revenue if we had another prohibition in this day in age?

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  35. John Nikson

I used to have a bad case of ADHD and I tried adderol to help but it I couldnt eat because of side affects so I wouldnt take them and my ADHD held me back in school. After descovering marijuana I noticed how it helped with my ADHD and didnt kill my apetite. It help me slow down and concentrate on one project at a time and complete them properly. I graduate college with A's and B's thanks to marijuana.

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  36. Yuki - FL

Also, my thoughts and prayers go out to the population of Iran.

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government." – Thomas Jefferson

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  37. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Night, Anderson and Ercia have a sweet night.

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  38. JAY

hey i missed some of that... whats w/ this gun tot'in trooper sceaming at the aid unit driver. what all happened? i must of missed it.

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  39. Sharon

I am glad Letterman is apologizing. He certainly crossed the line with that joke. I was a mother who was watching that night, and I certainly did not think it was funny at all. Being a good Democrat, I find Palin somewhat humorous, but she has every right as a mother to be upset about this.

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  40. Wade O'Connor

anderson my story is op of lisa missdiagnosed with hyperactivity i was given mellaril and redilin please acuse my spelling im 49 an im so dislexic that i can barly spell words i know well,lol ive been smoking weed for bipoller since 1976 .the bipoller made me wild or i wanted to die cannibis evend this out. to bad i didnt tell my mother , a wine teatodler she killed herself the same year that mellisa ethridge went trhu her oddeal i never knew that my mom who people described as the chearleder was having trouble that i had worked out on my own , my dad died 8 months latter of a broken heart , these guys didnt smoke. only child i had to drive back and forth from ATL to washington LA to take care of the old home , I was arrested twice in the next two years for simple pos. both times by state troopers doing random pull overs. that was enough for the wife now shes gone. so the war on drugs i have all over me and the med s i take for depression have never failed me . only the system that thinks it nows better , i dont drink ore take drugs . not even asprine -Wade O'connor

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  41. Chuck

I have been watching the program tonight with a bit of amusement.... Pot is amazing, but certainly not a transitional drug. I am 57 years of age, smoked recreationally for several years, when I wore a younger mans' clothes, and then again, in my 40's.
    A bi-polar should not be experienting with any drugs not authorized by a physician. I lost a very good friend, who was bi-polar......a terrible disease.

Bottom line......pot is interesting, but not the horrible transitional drug that it is perceived to be.....haven't smoked in 15 years, just stopped because the price was escalating. Sorry, Feds....just your hype.

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  42. Lori from IL

The ambulance/police confrontation is just plain wrong - hope the cop is fired!

June 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  43. Isabel, Brazil

Where is webcan? It just before the hour! : (

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  44. Janet

iran

The coverage is fascinating, frightening, and spell-binding. It saddens me, however, that people must fight so hard for what we take for granted.

AC " i was there in the mid 90’s for four days. i was arrested for three of them." Bummer! How did you win your release?

Medical marijuana

No sampling??? I was going to ask what your favorite was.

Great coverage. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

Police video.

What amazes me is not that this happens, that is nothing new, but the fact that so many cops do this knowing the camera is rolling.

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  45. David

Insurance companies ask if you are a smoker or not. That shows that cigarettes are really bad for you if your rate will be based on the answer to that question. Alcohol can contribute to, if not give you, liver cancer. Its actually a poison.

So we can kill and die (military) for our country, apparently torture others (waterboard) but as adults we cannot enjoy something that hasn't been proven to harm us. All the while we can partake in things that can kill us (alcohol and cigarettes). It's really not logical at all.

"Die how we say you should die – and how we make the most money" seems to be the current policy.

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  46. Don, WA

I don't get that story about the police and ambulance feud at all – it boggles me.

Glad our president does'nt quote rush limbaugh often.

Letterman apology accepted in my book.

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  47. Keith

what can i say that has'nt been said tonight,except the our government has overlooked the economic and social benifits offered in the legalization of marijuana.... It's time we stop living in the Dark Ages.

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  48. Eric

I thank you for this story on Marijuana. It was more fair then I had expected it to be. This is an important debate that our country needs to be in right now. There are prisons full of people convicted over the plant and we need to do something about that.

Thanks again. I look forward to watching the rest of this special and you have gained a viewer!

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  49. Rick

Wow that cop they just showed probably needs to give himself a ticket for speeding – or failing to yield the right-of-way too.

June 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |