June 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/11/09

Tonight on 360°, new insight on the man accused of killing a guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Is 88-year-old James von Brunn a so-called "lone wolf", one who is filled with so much hate that he decided to take action on his own? We'll have the latest on the murder case.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dan W.

I believe there is highway robbery going on with those who are in power to do their civic duty. It is the Community of Fairfield, Ohio.
    The courts of this community is draining to much money from the people of this area that are fined monthly payments in simple misdameteors.
    The city is running it's economy on those fined or like my brother, ah veteran. The courts are collecting and signing for federal aid ment for my brother. It was even stated in ah paper at one time that the judge would make up the decifit of 15 million by the fines produced in court.

June 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Lori from IL

Good night all -

Have a good weekend.

June 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Chelo

I so much agree that David Letterman is a disgrace! Talk about hate! I have to say that watching Anderson talk about it, he really could care less. He actually asked the question is Palin's family fair game? What do you think the President would say Anderson? You make jokes about writing letters and I don't want offend anyone...WOW!

June 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. DeeCee

Hello Everyone!!!

No laws should be changed for children of immigrants that were brought into this country illegally. I'm glad that alot of these students do very well in school and in achieving all their educational goals but the laws should not have to change for these "academic stars". We as taxpayers are not turning our backs on them we are merely asking that they be "legal" citizens in our country in order to take advantage of the programs that are set to assist our "legal" children achieve their educational goals.

June 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

@Isabel, They should invent something like that and I thought the black boxes did send out coordinates to a satellite, that was noted on the live blog previously. Finding out what happened to flight 447 would be incredibly important to the loved ones of people onboard the plane.

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Caroline, Los Angeles

This story is such a difficult one. For all these best and brightest people say, "Well how many illegal immigrants are a drain on the system?" So what do we do? Allow the honor students to stay in and send the C-students away?

Isn't that what employers do? The best and brightest get many job offers and the rest don't?

What a mess.

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Lampe

All of you saying "Palin should just get over it". Are any of you parents, and do any of you have daughters that are around 14 years of age? If so, how about if Letterman had came to your hometown and did a show and made a remark about your daughter? How would you feel then, and would you just get over it?

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Shane (TN)

What about people like me who went through the immigration process knowing I needed to do it in order to get an advanced education? I went so far as to become a citizen because I knew this is where I was going to live.

I don't feel empathy for folks that are here illegally, and rely on the government to conform to their needs. The people should confirm to our countries guidelines so that we don't lower our standars and end up in situations like this. This is sad – another example of those people that choose to do the right thing, and see others get rewards for not bothering to do the proper thing.

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Eric Starnes

As a college student it blows my mind that we can't find a way to give some of the most intelligent students an education. The United States needs all of the mind power we can get.

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Beth Vogl

Anderson – there was a story on KSBW tonight about a young girl from Alvarez High School who "gave" a $20,000 scholarship to another "illegal" student who was accepted at UCDavis - both first to graduate from high school - great story about a young man who wants to return to his community and work with at risk kids, but wouldn't have been able to go – his family income is only $20,000 a year....

June 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. David

You stated that Harvard wants the girl in your segment about students who cant get financial aid, but she can't go. People, Harvard has an endowment of billions and billions of dollars – why don't they spend some of it to give her an education, or ar they just collecting it to educate other rich kids.

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

We shouldn't be turning our back on anyone. This is America...home of the American dream. A place where anyone can come to achieve whatever their dream is. And it seems that our gov't dropped the ball on this one.

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Rose "Get over it, lighten up Sarah Palin!"

I hope you say the same thing when someone jokes about Obama's kids.

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

@Robert would you rather hear those inappropriate remarks as a 14 year-old or an 18 year-old? Personally, and since I am that age, I would rather hear it as an 18 year old....

but that's just me...

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

My dad was not legal but worked hard and had his own business. He learned english.

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Education is fundamental to a country grow, develop themselves and overcome the crisis ...

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Ed

David Letterman is funny, that's a joke in itself! Ricky Gervais, that's a real comedian and someone who really is funny....

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. arthur hofisi

how is ucla even able to admit them fo ucla, that just shows the immigratiom system have major loopholes,

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Crystal Palin, courtesy of bad judgement on her parents’ part, is a public figure. What’s worse is a public official (her mother) trying to rationalize and make-up more of a story beyond the joke. If you can’t laugh at yourself, then don’t become a public figure and certainly don’t enable your formerly pregnant but “underage” daughter to become a public figure unless she can take the heat.

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Julie

OMG! My children will be unable to get student loans and these people think they should? Why not just educate the entire world while the "real" Americans pay for it. Unreal!

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Renee

No for student loans for Nancy! Sorry, go back to your home country and get legal and come on back! Nancy and her family broke the law.

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Yankeedoodle49

If she is naturalized then she should be able to get the loans, but not until, this should stay for US citizens only. If any charity group or groups want to help her that would be fine.

June 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am thinking about her in the future what have plan for Nancy....... I hope she need education or college durning job... She will have dream true!

June 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. starr formerly known as vincent

RE: Nancy

I don't mean to come off the wrong way, but "illegal" immigrant is "illegal".

However, in this case, it would appear that our country is being deprived of an excellent and talented person ( who is not a citizen by a stupied mistake).

June 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Shannon, GA

why is being pro white so different than what blacks,mexicans, muslims and all other ethnic groups do

June 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Robert

David letterman said he meant the remark to be about Palim's 18 year old not her 14 year old daughter-Is he saying it's OK to make innapropriate sexual insults to an 18 year old??a

June 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Parents who are illegal immigrants obviously need to think very carefully about how their actions affect their childrens lives.

June 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Joe Terrogano

I have never liked Sarah Palin, but Letterman was way out of line. Not funny, not o.k. Apologize Dave!

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

Letterman shouldn't have had to apologize. It's a joke and comedy is supposed to be taken lightly.

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Miss J

But can't Nancy get private loans? Not government loans but private?

She probably would've been able to before the economy tanked.

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Dulcie - Denver

I'm not fond of the Palin family, but I think Letterman was a bit over the top and in poor taste. I'm probably in the minority that I don't find Letterman as funny as a lot of people do.

I also agree he was referring to Bristol. I honestly don't think he meant the younger daughter.

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Joseph T Garcia

This is typical of Texas police in the small counties; they have their own rules and laws. They usually target the minority and the out of state type .If you look at our state of New Mexico; eastern and southern New Mexico they (Texans ) think they run those small towns and do run it, the poor people have been pushed out. You mentioned the people of Texas are all friendly HA ! The word Texas is derived from an Indian word for "friend"
    sincerely
    Joseph

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Charles - Athens, GA

Anderson,
    On next weeks issue of marijuana; I belive it important to discuss the racial/immigration connection that sparked the "War on Drugs" as well as the misinformation (reefer madness), its impact on the criminal justice system, minorities and poverty. I believe the public needs to hear the facts and not the fluff of the issue.

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Linda

I am glad Nancy has been accepted to a good University but NO, she shouldn't get special treatment in getting a loan. Kids in America have enough trouble getting loans and I still had to pay for most of it, I am a Mother of a daughter in college and its hard enough for us to get decent loans to send our kids to school. I am sure she and her parents knew if she had a chance to get into a good college they would have to pay.

June 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse, NY

When exactly did 'illegal' become 'undocumented'? Call it what it is, ILLEGAL!

June 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. chad

Nancy should not be taking the place of an American student. We need to be educating our own first!

June 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

If our children can't afford a good education should we pay for others who are not a U.S. citizen?

June 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Eddie

May God bless Stephen Tyrone Johns and his family and watch over them. The guard at the Holocoust Museum was a kind man and did not deserve to killed. It's sad when hate wells up insode of people to the point that they take anothers life.

June 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Don, WA

That was great story about the little girl's (Kennedy?) note to teacher – The President has a sense of humor.

David Letterman was just joking, came out wrong, and he apologized. I trust Dave.

June 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Dulcie - Denver

I think it's so cool that the President wrote an excuse note for Kennedy. I'm sure it will be treasured.

June 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

Well a shot gun wedding is better than not wedding at all, and not a bad dowry either. That's sort of like saying some lucky couple won the lottery. Sort of. Maybe Ken Lewis shouldn't be complaining?

June 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Brooke's joke was really funny!

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That might be the best staff caption I've ever seen for Beat 360...sorry Anderson and Erica! 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

How nice for Kennedy to meet our pres. Obama took note to school her absent!!!!!!! Excellent!!!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I think the Sarah Palin whining about jokes is pathetic,not David Letterman for making the jokes.They were funny!

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Miss J

Beat 360 – cute today!

I also shudder to see Anderson & Erica without makeup. : )

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I'm looking forward to your upcoming report on marijuana.
    I thing the David Letterman controversy is being taken much too seriously.

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Linda

Get over it Sarah and Hubby.
    Here we go again with Sarah Palin wanting to be in the media, and that drop out Husband of hers need to be quite. He said he was sorry. Now the slutty look comment is fair game.

June 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Shane (TN)

Pretty presumptuous of Palin thinking she'd give Letterman a ratings boost.

June 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Caroline, Los Angeles

Letterman was joking about the oldest daughter. It was just a joke about young people and sex. That's why I laughed at it. I never imagined it was about her younger daughter.

June 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |