June 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/11/09

Tonight on 360°, new insight on the man accused of killing a guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Is 88-year-old James von Brunn a so-called "lone wolf", one who is filled with so much hate that he decided to take action on his own? We'll have the latest on the murder case.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

If Palin wants to gain respect, she's gonna have to learn to take a joke....Rush Limbaugh gets it all the time and it seems to make him happier....

June 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

On Palins

Oh come one!! The original joke may have been "iffy", but does not arise to the level the Palin's are trying to make it! I am really tired of this stuff.

June 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. chanice

what can the congress/ president do to stop these police from stealing? why does the police feel obligated to steal from innocent people?

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Isabel, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I don't know, but with such technology, why is it still difficult to locate these devices? Why not invent something to make the black box float or give of coordinates of it’s location.

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Get over it, lighten up Sarah Palin!

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. LisaL - Canada

yeah, sometimes TV humor gets a little out of hand.

having said that, i still think that Ms.Palin has only one broad definition of "media", and i don't thnk she is doing herself any favors.

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Meg,
    Anderson is on roof of CNN in Los Angeles....... this week.

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Anthonia-califonia

Palin and Letterman reminds me so much of Rosie and Donald's fued a few years back.

June 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

@ Chanice: I think it records the conversations of the pilots...so the last moments are on tape. creepy, actually..

June 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Tessa Stewart

Letterman only made jokes about a politican being "slutty" and her minor child being raped. What's the problem? If he had made a joke about another politican, or their children as being "nappy-headed-hos," that would be an offense to be fired about!

June 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I thought that was so sweet! 🙂 Just another reason I love President Obama! Maybe he could write me a note excusing me from work for a few week?!

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Miss J

That is soooo cute! That note from Pres. Obama.

And it didn't hurt that her name was Kennedy! lol

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Wendy

Hummmm..........Liberace...or Rolling Stones???

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

I LOVE the President's humor!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Get use to it if you're a well know person it will happen like it or not. You can't stop people from saying things about youand your family remember, The freedom of speech protect us.

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

@ meg
    I think that Anderson is in Llos Angeles

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  17. starr formerly known as vincent

I can't beleive Rev. Wight! It just goes from bad to worse with him/

Loved the President's excuse note story (somebody will have a great souvenier).

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Caroline, Los Angeles

That little girl who got the note from Obama is so lucky! She won't fully comprehend it for years!

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  19. T L

Terry

Please provide evidence that Rush Limbaugh feels "exactly as von Brunn does". Give specific examples of what Rush has said that shows him to be a hater of Jewish people.

June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Tom

Gergens first concert? He's pretty old. Maybe Lawrence Welk
    HAHAHAHAHA

June 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

for some reason the band: B52's, stands out to me for David Gergen....

June 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Ed

David Letterman is a disgrace. In the UK he would have to make a public appology and he would not be seen on tv for a very long time. His comments were completely unaccaptable and not funny at all. What is wrong with America? He was out of line and not funny at all...It was not comedy...It was a verbal insult..

June 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  23. chanice

what exactly will they find if they find that black box thingy?

June 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Susan, Vancouver B.C.

How do you deal with hate-filled idiots? I think there are people out there who want to destroy everything that freedom represents. Sometimes because they wear a badge and believe they have authority over all and sometimes because they don't go to your Church/Synagogue/Mosque. They feel threatened by the idea that there might be a belief out there founded on something as powerful as freedom.

June 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Eddie

For every time the police are caught, how many times do they get away with illegal stops and searches? A civilian review board is needed and the police must be held accountable. The story you showed gave the town over $1 million a year. What is their motivation to stop when the risk they take is so small?

June 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Abdul

I have lived in a small town in texas for the past 8 years and have seen nothing like what is happening in Kimble! If the Texas House of Rep. wasn't so busy arguing mindlessly about the Voter ID bill, maybe they could've gotten to this bill, which would've helped those small counties like Kimble!

June 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Victor Jarvis

Coop,

It's happening in Kernersville, NC. My nephew had $1,700 dollars taken from him about three weeks ago. I reported it the the Winston-Salem Journal. There is also alot of unnecessary profiling and intimidation from police. Alot of lives are being severly damaged.

Victor

June 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Yvette

I am not on the left nor the right, and I am a registered Democrat. The comment of Letterman were out of bounds. I do not care about the status of the parent, and their position in the world. One should not speak foul language about a child.

June 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Miss J

With all the talk of how badly females were treated in the last election – David Letterman should not have gone there – regardless of whether or not he thought it was funny.

June 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

I'm sorry to hear about the house that was mistakenly torn down. Why in the world did the demoliton contractor not get an address?

Wow, those undersea trenches look deep and lined with volcanic rock too. Are their undersea vents that might register on sonar and cover the signal being emitted by the planes black box flight recorder?

June 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Charles - Athens, GA

If I had one thing to say to anyone afraid to speak out against racists groups, it would be 'Have No Fear'; these groups gain there power by usurping yours through fear; speak out, peacefully confront, and understand those who use violents/weapons do so to hide there cowardice.

June 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Ed

I am concerned that the media has had a role in the growth of racism and race haters. After all, the media has been pro active in supporting some countries actions and overly critical of other countries. How can anyone not become angry at our governments? I am worried that these messages of hate are all to clear on the internet, in music, movies and even subconsiously in the media.

June 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

@Eddie, We the People....honestly we're speaking out against it, 360 is reporting about it, the more bad publicity for them, the more they will be willing to change.

June 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. starr formerly known as vincent

Tom Foreman

Really facinating info re recovery of the black boxex. Thank you!

June 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's amazing to see wreck plane found in Alantic Ocean, They found some piece of Airbus plane. I like Tom Foreman touch magic wall!

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Isabel, Brazil

Only 44 bodies were found so far – this is so little! Not 20%

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Caroline, Los Angeles

@nuel--some of them do. But I think the threat level at places like museums is felt to be so low that they don't wear them. But at a city courthouse, for example, I have always seen the officers there wearing protective vests.

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  38. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

@Eddie It looks like 360 polices the police. 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Jackie Cole

I was born in Texas and left there when I was two and I'm embarrased. I watch Letterman when I'm not teaching and can stay up later, and I'm embarrased. I like both a lot.

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Greg, Austin Tx

I wonder why they can't make the black boxes float-able.

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Marian

I am hoping that there will be coverage tomorrow night of the Iranian election – this is an important election and CNN needs on-the-ground coverage.

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Friendly thieves from Texas

Who is that reporter defending? People in Texas are friendly, Cops are friendly. If I steal million dollars from people, I'll be friendly too!!!!!!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. LisaL - Canada

that underwater search sounds extremely difficult - lots of pressure down that deep (oh – Tom just said that). the magnetism probably will cause a lot of trouble. hope they find what they are looking for.

June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. chanice

i love that cool touch screen board 😀

June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Isn't that the "black box" from the plane?

June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. KArdley

I'm a Canadian planning a driving trip to Mexico. I certainly didn't think I had to worry about being robbed in Texas, let alone by law enforcement 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

The "ping" sound of the black box will soon stop, though. It is run on battery power and won't last for more than 30 days...I got that from Wolf Blitzer...

June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Sharon Hastings

Good evening all. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the guard at the museum. A senseless tragedy. I feel programs covering these issues are extremely important and we need to rally the good people of this country to stand up to this thankfully small segment of our society who should be ashamed to call themselves Americans.

Maybe Sarah and David Letterman could do their own reality show and/or go 2 out of 3 falls.

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Shane

Former D.A. was comfortable saying he did nothing wrong, yet when asked if he should have done something different, he did think that in retrospect they should have – just a bit contradictory. If I were a TX resident, I wouldn't feel comfortable having him in a position of power.

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Lou

I have commented twice I think so far with intelligent G-rated truthful and straight-forward comments. Where are they? I sure hope CNN (the news network I currently respect the most) isn't censoring. Do I have to say unintelligent mundane repetitive things like:

What a bad man. I wish this violence didn't exist. Blah, blah, blah.

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |