June 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/11/09

Tonight on 360°, new insight on the man accused of killing a guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Is 88-year-old James von Brunn a so-called "lone wolf", one who is filled with so much hate that he decided to take action on his own? We'll have the latest on the murder case.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Eddie

Who polices the police?

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. chad

I bet poeple on the left would not think letterman was so funny if he joked about sasha or malia getting knocked up by A-Rod. Or talked about Michelle Obama looking like a slut. What if Rush made those jokes? She deserves an apology!!!!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Isabel, Brazil

Many doubts and unanswered questions. The pain and anguish of the families is great. These responses were essential because there is still some relatives that has hope of review their loved.

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

the closest thing we got to highway robbery are some mild cases of Police Profiling...

Which poses the statement: Everywhere the police are corrupt in their own special way, Texas happens to take away money and use it for unknown reasons, while other places have more serious cases such as brutality and profiling....

this Texan case would be a nice case study for police personal to watch.

June 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Eddie

Friendswood Texas is a speed trap that preys on blacks and Hispanics. It was even noted by the state a few years ago as being suspected of racial profiling.

June 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Jennifer - Michigan

Some police officers can be as bad as the criminal or worse. What a shame.

June 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Well given the problems with the misuse, the alleged misuse of forfeiture funds, for things like trips to Hawaii, it's good to hear that Texas is still one of the friendliest states in the union. I wonder why the Texas legislature meet every two years? Seem like a long time to wait to get together a congress.

June 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. nuel

it baffles me why policemen and other security operatives in sensitive places dont wear protective vests. is it so expensive?

June 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Oh yeah, a lot of "fishy" police stories around here. Our local Newspaper has yet to print the story which is one county over.

June 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson,

Please speak more slowly! Think of the foreign! Now you're talking too fast. 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Jean Richelle

Why haven't they found the bodies of any of the Air France plane?

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Dulcie - Denver

Okay, I'm pretty much in the middle of our annual audit, so I know just a little about this whole 'documentation' issue. Our auditors demand to see documentation on everything. No big checks made out to 'Cash' allowed.

Man, they must not get audited in Texas. For us, it's a requirement, but I suppose some of these smaller town might not be a requirement.

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. VanessaTx

Wow..these 'counties' are making my state look very bad! Thank you so much, Gary Tuchman for reporting..I'm glad its not happening here..and YES, we are the friendliest, y'all.

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. aly

hi anderson – what is this country coming to? i am scared!

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Renee

Thanks for the clarification on 3 towns in TX! Wow!

June 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Eddie Quintal

Lets say a pray for Mr Johns family tonight

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Tom

I think jokes about children of politicians should be condemned.
    CBS has a hidden agenda I heard. My friends friends mother-in-law works in New York and works for CBS.
    She is an Independent, but she said she heard that CBS was told to do things for ratings. Thats why Letterman said it. He was ordered to ridicule Palin for ratings. I wonder why the media is acting so shamefully, If I know this, why doesnt the rest of the media?
    CBS has a hidden agenda.
    I heard Katie Couric and NEWS PEOPLE are told to create controversy next week, so they get better ratings. Watch the news if you dont believe me. This Moon guy said no holds bar for ratings!

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Palm Springs is friendlier, Gary!

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Caroline, Los Angeles

LOL-Texas is definitely off of my vacation spot list now!

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

More corruption in Texas.....Tsk,tsk,tsk....

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Jennifer - Michigan

The Judge is in it too? Man! What a monopoly – what a story!

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Lampe

Hate is Hate, no matter if you hate someone because they are JEWISH, or AA, or you Hate someone because she is a Woman, who doesn't hold your beliefs.

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. nancy

Dear Anderson,

I find it very interesting that covering the "Amanda Knox' Case" no one is refering to the the "48 Hours" info reguarding the procecutor. He has tried to frame another american in another case, and he uses an italian pychic. I feel this is extremely important information that is left out by most media outlets. This poor girl needs as much support from the public and it only through the media that they will recieve these important facts.

Nancy in Seattle

P.S. You*re our favorite journalist

June 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

How could this guy's conscious be clear? He doesn't have a conscious!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It sounds as though a lot of law enforcement in Texas has some issues that need to be sorted out. This sounds really fishy.

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. meg

where is Anderson tonight? i haven't heard him say and can't find it anywhere on your site.

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Miriam Cooper, NY

I saw a message for "oil barrel for 73 dollars".
    I am not a geo-scientist, but what happens with these several holes in the ocean floor. How deep does these wells go? I mean, that too on ocean floor which means you are going past the earth crust, right? See in Indian country almost 60% of the homes have a well at home – But this is grassland, and the digging takes place till water level is reached. It can be 50-100 feet below...or you can have something called "borewell". This is drilling on land for water below the earth, but is this science okay to drill in ocean floor and let the water flow into the ocean base? Is this okay in the long run? How many places to keep "pricking" the earth. I think this has to be done locally. Either some home-grown oil. I will be surprised if Iraq too is drilling oil and sending it to USA . Can this oil be done with some chemical proportions. How many trips does the USA ship make to bring these barrels of oil? How many years has this been going on? Population is never going to decrease – only increase or stagnation...I wonder whether there will be decrease in population. Every student who passes out in July needs a car to drive to college. Even if you say 500,000 per year in 12th grade, atleast 250,000 students need car for evening games, college etc., With USA being a snow-based country with half the states having prolonged winter, car is going to be a necessity than a luxury except during summer. What happens to these dried wells? Do you'll just pull out the drilling and water fills these holes? So water is going to flow in with full force , we are talking undercurrent ocean water gushing in to fill the hole ...will this mess these drilling wells or are these wells filled with concrete? I wonder whether we can fight these normal things in life – I am surprised USA still imports oil. These long pipes running between countries and some underground pipes and maintenance cost, the big pipelines for Alaska...is USA going forward in the right direction. 10 years from now population is going to increase, does this mean the import of barrels will be more?

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

It is strange to see who should protect us to be threatened us, in causing harm, and killing. or robbing the citizen

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Caroline, Los Angeles

Gosh, Gary's story is going to give Texas a bad name.

That judge is a very polite evader of questions.

June 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. lgf

Who was the reformed white supremicist you spoke with who travels to speak to young people; interested in having him as a speaker at the college where I teach. Thanks!

June 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Minou, New York City

@ Eddie Q.
    no worries, I think ppl are smart enough to know that supremacist whites are a small group... yet a dangerous group that we should not ignore.

June 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

@casey, well...everything is bigger in Texas....

I find it funny how there was no documentation about anything.....really sad...

June 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  33. aly

hi anderson – what is this country coming to? i am scared.

June 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  34. ericacnn

@Rikki – very funny 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Larry

I doubt the guard was killed because he was black. The building is a Holocaust Museum. If the killer is a lunatic then he will plead insanity.

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't like highway robbery!!!!! That's disgust to me!!!!!! I love Keep Them Honest!!!! I like Gary Tuchman found something new allegation against police officers!

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Charles

I believe the source of this killing and others is not simply racism, but our violent entertainment ,as well as, an ideology that first observes our differences (e.g. race, sexuality, handicaps) and not our similarities (e.g. emotions, ambition, LIFE). Once we come to realize that we are the same, then we can begin to live without fear, hate and pain.

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Isabel, Brazil

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

ya'll come on down to Texas. I'm lonely down here.

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Gilby-HI

I think Lori is right that it is only a matter of time that some guy watching David Letterman think it is funny to go after a 14 year old girl. Oh wait that has already happened, over and over again. And the Letterman audiance is still laughfing.

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

My first comment didn't get posted, but I have to say I don't understand groups like this, the klan, neo nazis. It's good that people study them to understand them and how people get into them.

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

That's the Kuilima Resort ont he very north shore of Oahu–rather secluded and expensive. Is it just me or does this stuff only happen in Texas?

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Anthonia-califonia

How come these officers arent in jail yet for the highway robberies? Why are they getting away from stealing people's money?

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Ed

The problem here is that some members of the public feel they are forgotten, not listened to and not acknowledged anymore. It is not down to the new president, or even the economic downturn. It is a problem that is slowly getting bigger. The relations with other countries, some negative and some overly positive have caused deep racist divisions in the united states.

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Eddie Quintal

Lolololol Highway Robbery is a crazy story

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Lori from IL

Rev. Wright - please - isn't there enough in the news about hate without giviing his latest remarks airtime?

With all the negatives in the news these days - and hate being spewed from the mouths of Rush and the likes, is it any wonder some of these "lone wolf" individuals snap?

June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Don, WA

Sad about the old house accidentally torn down...my favorite one line poem by an author I can't remember: "Old houses were scaffolding once, and workmen whistling."

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Rev. Wright and Sarah Palin in the same newscast? Is it October 2008 again? 🙂

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Ed

The problem here is that some members of the public feel they are forgotten, not listened to and not acknowledged anymore. It is not down to the new president, or even the economic downturn. It is problem that is slowly getting bigger. The relations with other countries, some negative and some overly positive have caused deep racist divisions in the united states.

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

More highway robbery..great...people are so ignorant...

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |