June 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/11/09

Tonight on 360°, new insight on the man accused of killing a guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Is 88-year-old James von Brunn a so-called "lone wolf", one who is filled with so much hate that he decided to take action on his own? We'll have the latest on the murder case.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Terry-Feeling superior or being arrogant is annoying but it's not necessarily insanity. Killing an innocent person and ignoring facts about the Holocaust indicates the shooter is crazy. He's nuts.

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Adam

@Miss J-Oklahoma was done by people that were unsatisfied with the government, race wasn't an issue.My best friend was shot in the leg by a black man who he didn't know over a spot in line at a movie theater, the black man evidently hated my friend at the time, why wasnt that a "hate crime"?

June 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Eddie Quintal

Sorry a few spelling and grammar errors, in my hurry to type, I have jobs to catch with, but I do want to get my point out .all that I am saying is lets not take a few stray cases and be harsh on ourselves and fellow Americans and America, violence is part if the times we live in.I feel very sad for Mr John and pray for his family but please please dont brand America or all whites and say that they all have such attitudes it is not helping any body it will only make it worse

June 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone.

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Miss J, my point is that even with the occasional OK City, hate crimes deaths are a drop in the bucket overall. More people are killed by drunk drivers, and dead is dead regardless of cause.

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Highway robbery!

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Jennifer from Virginia

I know we live in a country where we have the freedom of speach, but when people promote hate through their opinions, I think they should be held accountable. I'm speaking of a certain radio talk show host who encourages these feelings of hate – Rush Limbaugh. People like him could set some of these lunitics off, or has he already?

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Rev. Wright here we go again.

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Andrea

Our family stopped to visit the Holocaust Museum on our way home to Atlanta from Philadelphia. I have two children – a sophmore and a 6th grader. We were all deeply moved by what we saw and experienced at the museum. We talked all the way home about the lessons we learned. When we heard about the shooting at the museum, we were deeply saddened.

June 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I've met two former neo-nazi/skinheads who work toward education people about gay and lesbian people. I have to say I was absolutely fascinated with them and, at the same time, they kind of sent shivers up my spine.

June 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Caroline, Los Angeles

Good heavens! They used GPS to locate a home to demolish?! Everyone who uses GPS knows it's not always right. Boy, I hope he sues them and makes them build a replica of what he lost.

June 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Isabel, Brazil

@ Erica

Tomorrow we will have something even more special? 😉
    What is it? Or is it surprise?

June 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

they tore down the wrong house! *jaw drops in disbelief* D:

June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Tom

Sarah Palinand Michelle Obama - leave them alone!
    How sexist is America?

Michelle Obama got a makeover so she
    wouldnt have such ugly hair and wouldnt look
    so mean. Many said she should pretend to look
    like she wasnt so angry when she was first
    introduced to America. She used to have
    a mug on her and I am glad, they made her over.
    I am also glad she has people now who help her dress.
    Even her eyebrows got a make-over.
    Her face and hair look more American now. Thank goodness!

Maybe the liberals such as Dave Letterman hate Sarah Palin
    and her look because she isnt made up like Michelle Obama
    is made up now.
    Lets face it, Michelle looks better now. Her hair
    looks normal now and she USUALLY dresses nice now.
    I guess Dave Letterman makes alot of money now.
    Funny though, his wife still looks like a man!
    Oh well. Practice makes perfect!
    What does Dave think of Mr. Rachel Maddow and her look?
    What does he think she looks like? Oh well.

June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Anthonia-califonia

I didnt even know that the swine flu was spreading rapidly than before! thanks for the bulliten erica!

June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Rita Vautour

I find that we take so long to understand that God put us on earth as sisters and brothers, and all we think about is racism and talking about the jews as if they are dirt and you find the nicest and most big hearted people in the jewish population. We are caucasion canadians and we have many friends in the jewish and black community. My daughter is married to an indian from Trinidad. Start taking a good look at your heart and look deep inside you to find love instead of hate and charity among the poorer than we.

June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Lori in Cali

Hi AC, love love ur show. More love for MY President Obamaaaaa!
    This is a sad tragedy, but it's even sadder that it is no surprise with all of the hate being spewed by the neocons on the radio airwaves and fake news outlets! It was only matter of time.

June 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Bob

@ Erica: Hey Erica ! AC is going to be mentioning about UCLA dreamers. It would be great if you can conclude the Drean ACT for tomorrows special !

June 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Gilby-HI

I was just wondering if terroirism was still hate because I am not seeing the guy that killed the recuriter this week being talked about on CNN. I guess if you dont cover it it never happened.

June 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Christiano, Sao Paulo, Brazil

The guy interviewed in the last segment of the show should be ashamed of ever calling himself a skinhead. He's a betrayer. He betrayed the movement.

June 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Dulcie - Denver

Still so sad about the guard who was killed at the Holocaust Museum. It's been a long day.

Looking forward to tomorrow's show too.

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@ Erica,
    Sounds you have lot busy tomorrow special day!!!!!

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Mark

Funny how a black Muslim kills white folks and there is no mention of racism, or extremism but a white man does and and all of the sudden we are on the edge of a race-war. Come on media, youre making Von Brunn look credible .

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@James, saying white supremacists are tied to the GOP is just slander.

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Caroline, Los Angeles

I am amazed that Palin has made such a fuss over the Letterman joke. Dave and all the comedians are pretty much equal opportunity insulters of the famous. I heard that joke and it was pretty funny. But it wasn't nearly as bad as the jokes he's made about the Clintons over the years.

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Isabel, Brazil

A discriminatory attitude towards people, places or traditions considered "different" or "weird" is something that makes people suffer so much!

June 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Eddie Quintal

Hi
    my name is Eddie and I immigrated from India to the US on the 5th of March 2009 ,I am happy I moved here and I have never felt any problem because of my color or race lets not brand a whole nation because of a few foolish people around the world in all major cities vilionce happens for different reasons lets take such stary case and treat it like a stray case and not be so harsh on America and ourselves

June 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Miss J

Mike – u are wrong. It's the "hate groups" that end up engaging in things like the Oklahoma City bombing and similar crimes. They are that dangerous and they should be tracked, studied, etc.

June 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Sami

Anderson I have never heard you calling a Jewish or Christian terrorist as you do with some Muslim people ?

June 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

That interview with the former skinhead was interesting! What I would like to know is , what exactly makes them think they are so superior? What exactly is it that they hate so much? And do they really not see how unfounded and dumb their perceived superiority is?

June 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Fidelina

It is really sad that, at this time and age, in a country that appears to be the most civilized ones, we still have people so ignorant as this man..
    i hope he is giving death penalty.. my sympathy to the guardian's family..

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

M y thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Johns' family at this time please. However, the phrase "Nice guys finish last" keeps resounding in my head. Never did it seem more true than now. He actually opened the door for his killer? My God! Every has gone crazy haven't they?

Donna
    Lil' Tennessee

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Don

By honoring hate-filled psychopaths with the romantic label, "lone wolf," the media will contribute to an unknown number of violent acts.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Terry

Everyone is calling Von Brunn "crazy." He is not "crazy." There are many, many people who live in this country who feel exactly as von Brunn does (Limbaugh, et.al.). There are many people whose very core is racial superiority. They feel that everything that is wrong with the USA is because of people of a race other than theirs.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Renee

@ Erica: Forget it. Anderson just said it was the "lone wolf" special. Not sure I can take an hour of this hatred.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi Ecria! I am sure it will be a great special.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

TJ is doing some incredible work...I hope that he continues to get more and more people out of the racist movement. Hopefully one day we can be completely rid of the racist movement.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Good for the former skinhead for seeing the light.It takes so much energy to carry such hate all the time.Setting it free must be a relief.

June 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

People who are lost in life are prime targets for hate groups and for other groups who pray on those without direction like the Moonies, etc.

June 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  40. dave

lone wolf is one person
    small groups not lone wolf
    limited cell structure is what you meant
    this is used by all groups
    to limit infiltration and damage by others
    if one person agrees with a group and they have
    influence on them, they are not a lone wolf but
    part of a cell

June 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Renee

@ Erica: What's on tap for the special? Can you discuss?

June 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Bob

It was such a horrible tragedy. Another american life passed away..

June 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Karen ORourke

Hate groups really need to be described as "terrorist" groups and we need to understand they threaten democracy and tolerance.

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokan't)

I wonder if this former skin head has truly changed....

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Caroline, Los Angeles

Teens and young adults frequently look for a group of any kind to belong to.

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Renee

@ Paula: Great Point!

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Gerard

If Von Brunn was already identified as a dangerous suprematist by the FBI and perpetrated other highly visible acts of violence, how come he walked around with weaponry?

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. chad

Did that guy just drop a N-Bomb?!?!?!

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Mr. John should be remembered of what he did not how he died. May God be with his family at this time of sorrow.

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. michael

this has been and will always be the united states Achilles heel.

June 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |