June 5th, 2009

Morning Buzz: Anderson's Special Tonight

Dr. George Tiller was one of the few U.S. physicians who performed late-term abortions.

Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

Welcome to the end of the week! Tonight we air: A Woman’s Choice: A Nation Divided. There has been intense interest in the murder of Dr. Tiller and the many abortion-related questions that bubbled to the forefront following his death. We pulled this coverage into one solid hour so you could wrap your head around this story fully.

We’ll offer a profile of Dr. Tiller and the suspect Scott Roeder, an insightful look into the fringe organization called ‘Freemen’, plus Dr. Sanjay Gupta is on hand to offer his special medical insight. It's going to be a great show!

Erica Hill is in the mix w/live news hits: President Obama is in Germany, continuing to push for Middle East peace but also remembering the cost of war. He is the first US president to visit Buchenwald, a Nazi forced labor camp. And it is personal. A great-uncle, Charles Payne, helped liberate a nearby camp Ohrdruf, in April 1945.

There is confusion over missing Air France Flight 447. Debris recovered earlier in the week appears to be nothing more than sea trash, NOT part of the doomed airplane. Investigators think a malfunction in the flight control system could have caused the crash, but nothing solid yet. What the heck happened to that plane?

Police in Thailand believe actor David Carradine may have died from accidental suffociation or heart failure, the 72 yr old actor was found hanging in his hotel room closet. Very sad. I remember fondly his role in 'North and South'-that fabulously cheesy mini-series in the 1980’s, know which one I’m talking about? Or am I just aging myself. He will be missed.

And we are keeping a close eye on the fate of journalists Laura Ling and Euna Lee, detained in North Korea on spying charges. We hope for the best, no word yet on their fate.

See you tonight peeps! And hope the weather is better in your neck of the woods than the rain here in NY. But hey, it’s Friday.

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Shelley

If anyone can agree that growing in woman's body is not a human, then the woman can do anything she wants, otherwise it is a killing, she just try to kill a human life. Every human is in the stage of their life, baby, young, middle age, old, those are human's different stages, even in the mother's body, just is in one stage of human life.

June 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  2. Diane Silas

The issue isn't merely about a difference of opinion on an important social issue. It's about extreme expressions of opposition to a legal medical procedure. No matter what one believes about abortion, in a civilized society, a nation of laws, it is simply unacceptable to hound, harass and stalk someone–in essence to terrorize a person because you disagree with him. That's what happened to Dr. Tiller FOR DECADES. Keep in mind that he had been shot before AND he was wearing a bullet proof vest IN CHURCH on the day he was shot in the head and killed. No one, absolutely no one, should find this acceptable.

June 5, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  3. Jim Bob

The title of the show–A Woman’s Choice: A Nation Divided–appears to be slanted in favor of the pro-abortion crowd. Abortion isn’t about choice; it’s about life and death.

June 5, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  4. amanda

I am sorry that Dr. Tiller was murdered, his life had value. If you did to a dog or cat what an abortion doctor does to a human fetus, you would go to prison, or be forced to undergo serious psychiatric treatment. Abortion on demand makes life cheep, our culture is much too violent as it is. I wish that we were more generous in our treatment of oneanother.

June 5, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  5. MS. Equality For Life,

We as a Large Group are waiting for this show to air....and hope that all of the Founding Foremothers are able to way in on this issue. No More Hateful Rhetoric is required, period! O'Reilly needs a Vacation!

June 5, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  6. Daniel Rowe

What about babies body babies choice? Why do they not get a choice?

June 5, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  7. Seawhimsy

Obama is really opening talks on so many issues and that is good. I was very tired of "cowboy tactics" when rational sensible honest treatment will do more to help the peoples of the world. I hope that with our help Obama can do much good in the world.

June 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  8. melissa

Don't we have more important issues to deal with in this country?

June 5, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  9. Stella

I agree with the comment that "No person should have control over their body at the expense of other, innocent human life." However, I believe that women should have the right to choose especially if a woman chooses to terminate a pregnancy because the pregnancy is unwanted (eg: a pregnancy from sexaul assualt / rape). I think it is emotionally painful enough for a woman to go through the experience of sexaul assualt and if she does not have the right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy from the incident, how emotionally painful is that for that individual (especially if she is a teenager).

On the other hand, I don't agree with the fact that if a woman just chooses to have an abortion if she is in a stable relationship and just does not want to have the responsibility of raising a child. To me, this action is irresponsible.

Having the right to choose is different from abusing the right.

June 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  10. Caryn

I can't believe that late term abortions are legal. If a pregnant woman is murdered, the murderer is charged with killing her and the unborn child if she's far enough along. Because someone has a medical license they're the exception to the rule?

I understand there are special exceptions especially if there is a medical situation, but those babies did nothing to deserve that fate. There are just too many people out there who use abortion as a form of birth control. There are other options.

I don't condone the murder of Tiller but quite frankly he knew the risk to himself in choosing to abort babies especially so late in a preganancy.

June 5, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  11. Martina Ilstad Germany

I think with his visits to Cairo,the Frauenkirche in Dresden,and the Concentrationcamp Buchenwald Obama wants to make a statement.
    He reaches out his hand,to all religions,that he understand the fears,wishes and feelings of muslim,christian and jewish people.
    But now its time for a new beginning,without forgetting the past.

June 5, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  12. Harry

The abortion issue is very much like abolition was before the civil war. Both sides have deep and very sincere convictions that resulted in the bloodiest war ever fought on American soil. I pray that somehow this equally divisive conflict may end, peacefully, before anymore blood is shed, doctors, mothers, or babies.
    If the media would have the courage to start reporting on the actual processes and results of abortion upon women (physically and psychologically), and upon that what is being aborted the issue of choice would be at least honestly informed.
    I find it fascinating that such a significant medical procedure does do not have full, honest, disclosure.
    What would the impact be on this issue IF actual abortions (at all stages and by all means) were shown on television during prime time? Does anyone have the courage and love to humanity to do this?

June 5, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  13. Mary

The core divide between pro-choicers and pro-lifers seems to me to be this issue: my body, my choice. The choice camp is saying it's their body. The life camp says it's a separate human being. Why do choicers have the right to kill another human? When there is a crime against a pregnant woman you can be convicted of 2 murders. An unborn child has the right to inherit. An unborn child has it's own fingerprints. Why is it OK to kill this child? Why can't we kill anyone who inconvienences us? The life camp does not see this any differently than if you came upon someone murdering a 5 year old on the sidewalk. No different . That's why they'll never go away.

June 5, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  14. Jody

If the truth would be told and people were actually shown (so they could visually see) what the procedure is for late-term abortion (or any abortion, for that matter), they would no longer deny that this is the most heinous act imaginable. No one should suffer this type of death!!!! If you believe it's not a baby, you really should seek out the truth. I really doubt this program will show or tell the truth. Too bad – the great lie continues.

June 5, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  15. Debbie/Kansas City

In answer to all those who keep referring to embryo's as human babies. Can you freeze a human baby and then bring it back to life? The answer is no. Therefore, it is not a human baby.

June 5, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  16. eileene

i hope and pray that someday selective abortions will be unheard of any where...but i join the woman in the prior piece who says "god forbid woman go back to the coathanger in th alley" for abortions....turning over rvw will not stop abortions...right to life activists need to develop compassionate models of behavior in order to be convencing.....i am a 70yr./catholic/married/mother of four.one child died at age 7 from birth defects...president obama is a very decent man who does not share the total view of the catholic church....will it help to shun him, not in my opinion.

June 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  17. lwr

My body, my baby, my choice. Keep Roe legal!

June 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  18. Nana5

He has murdered countless innocent babies. Why does anything think that the good murdering doctor has a right to live but the innocent babies that he has killed do no have a right to live?

I am not cold blooded but--people cannot condemn someone for taking his life when he is guilty of taking many more than one life. Now he has already stood before God and "tried" to explain why he did what he did. Truth is – there is no excuse or reason. He was just greedy and after the money he made for killing.

June 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  19. Alan

No person should have control over their body at the expense of other, innocent human life. The unborn child is human – that's proven.

The fact that the child's rights, or lack thereof, can be determined by a thin layer of tissue does not make sense at all. It seems rather selfish and heinous. I certainly don't see how anyone who can write off the unborn child can discuss human rights violations.

Again, I can not morally comprehend why this is even an issue. If we, as a nation, can dismiss the most needy and innocent among us for selfish reasons, what forms of cruelty can we not justify?

Killing an innocent person for the sake of convenience or pride is wrong. How can we question this with any clear conscience? Likewise, how can we expect our fellow citizens to show any regard for others when we, as a nation, give no value to the unborn.

If you would respond, please respond to these viewpoints and not descend into juvenile name calling while ignoring the moral positions asserted.

June 5, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  20. Stella

I do believe that women should have the right of choosing abortions. However, choosing to have an abortion late does not make sense to me except there is a severe health threat to either the mother or the fetus. I think that if the pregnancy is almost full-term and there are no severe health threats to either the mom or fetus but mom does not want to have the baby, giving birth to the baby and giving him/her up for adoption would be a better choice. Killing the doctor is absolutely wrong and there are no excuses for that action.

June 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  21. Mari

Killing is wrong, whether it is a baby in the womb or a doctor in church. Or attacking a sovereign nation, Iraq, and killing countless civilians, and our Troops!

Its interesting that the people saying "the devil has free reign" do not see, that killing is wrong, period.

War
    Death Penalty
    Murder
    Abortion
    Lynching
    Global Warming- and the threat it presents to God's creation

The fact is, that the majority of Americans are pro-choice. They want to leave the choice up to the woman, who will ultimately be responsible for raising a child. IF we do not have legal abortions, then women will go back to the back-alleys. IF we want to end abortion, then let's raise a generation of women who are informed about birth control, who value all life, who will choose to treat their bodies with respect.

Sadly, the same people who would make abortion illegal, are the same people who do not want sex education taught and who do not want birth control available to all. Its hypocrisy.

June 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  22. Kimberley

Sounds like a great line-up for tonight. And I too enjoyed that cheesy mini-series "North and South"! Great and interesting coverage all week long. It's certainly been a week filled with extremely important issues.

Great job everybody!

June 5, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  23. lashanna

i wish people would keep their ideas, convitctions, beliefs and feelings out of my uterus. it's my body.... it's my health... it's my future. For whatever reason a woman decides to terminate a pregnancy- it's her choice- not jim bob's down the street or sally 3 states away.....

June 5, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  24. Lampe

When are you going to cover the death of that solider, by the hands of a muslim? Why, is one act any worse than the other? As far as I know unlike the Doctor, The solider that was killed was not himself a Killer!

June 5, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  25. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Abortion is such a personal, moral-laden issue. While I am a pro-lifer who has marched on the steps of the US Supreme Court on the Roe v. Wade anniversary, I do realize there are instances when abortion is appropriate. God knows I don't want women in a back alley using coat hangers again. There needs to be common ground of some sort. What no one discusses is the male perspective. Men often have no voice in whether their child is aborted or not. That is wrong. I do look forward to this male dominated discussion on what has traditionally been seen as a woman's health issue.

I choose not to speculate on the Air France disaster. Whatever happened, families and friends lost people they loved. Finding some sort of way to heal from this at some point really is all that matters now.

Have a great weekend.

June 5, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  26. Francine Hariri

As a child of a buchenwald survivor and a granddaughter of those that perished I was so moved that president Obama chose Buchenwald as a platform from which to give his moving speech.We should heed the words of Mr. Weisel and never forget our past so that we may become better human beings in the future. We have a long way to go but with President Obama's world view we can once again bring tolerance and understanding onto the world stage as he so eloquently demonstrated in Cairo.

June 5, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  27. Anne

I do not condone murder as a means for solving a problem. However, Dr. Tiller was a murderer with blood on his hands for killing babies–perhaps 60,000+. This country is in dire need of a religious awakening. I'm appalled at the standards for decency we are establishing in our country. One only has to look at the news to see where our country is heading if we don't get back to moral, Christian living. Just look at the way children have been devalued in our country. Every day there is a reported abuse or killing of a sweet/precious child. Listen to the language and vile shows that are featured constantly on TV. We are giving the devil free rein to destroy us. Wake up America!!

June 5, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  28. Dale Mattison

Just wondering since you believe in that obama is the greastest thing on the planet. When are you going to become an American and quit putting our country down and reveal obama for what he really is.

June 5, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  29. Cindy

Yeah...I heard about this special last night when Kelly from CNN tweeted about it. I for one am not for abortion unless in extreme cases. But I do not agree with killing anyone over this issue. That is ridiculous to say the least!

I haven't heard anything about Ling or Lee so I hope something comes out soon. I thought for sure that we'd be hearing something by now.

It's strange that no debris at all has been found from flight 447. It seems to me that it could still be intact at the bottom of the ocean since they haven't found anything. Either that or the thing exploded in air and it's in millions of tiny pieces!

Cindy..Ga.